Retirement In Thailand?

philliphn

If your previous 4 times were to Pattaya then I guess you might be happy with Pattaya. (I have never been.) But everyone describes it as a fake city, with fake beach, fake people, and full of Euro dirtbags and this experience seems to go stale for most people after a while.

who, pray tell, is this "Everyone"? he does not seem to be a Euro dirt bag. did you meet him at a first class lounge when you were waiting for your flight out of Thailand or in some sleazy bar?

Naam, how do you dare to talk back to the self righteous bigot feminazi brainwashed average Thaivisa member ? Just humbly bow your head and accept the scumbag stigma , you dirty Pattaya resident :)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your previous 4 times were to Pattaya then I guess you might be happy with Pattaya. (I have never been.) But everyone describes it as a fake city, with fake beach, fake people, and full of Euro dirtbags and this experience seems to go stale for most people after a while.

who, pray tell, is this "Everyone"? he does not seem to be a Euro dirt bag. did you meet him at a first class lounge when you were waiting for your flight out of Thailand or in some sleazy bar?

Naam, how do you dare to talk back to the self righteous bigot feminazi brainwashed average Thaivisa member ? Just humbly bow your head and accept the scumbag stigma , you dirty Pattaya resident :D

i hang my head in shame and humbly apologise :D question: should i also have new calling cards printed? :) e.g.

-----Naam €. Dirtbag, €sq.-----

Nong Prue (part of Fake City)

location 3km from Fake Beach

This is a question that no one can advise you on.

It depends on your financial and health situation.

The present political climate here is Thailand is in chaos and most of us are living on a hope and a prayer that Thailand will regain some sort of normality again. The immediate and long term future is unpredictable.

The bank exchange and interest rates are the worst hit for years and for those here living on pensions or incomes from abroad, cash incomes have decreased by about 33% over the last couple of years.

If you have major health problems and require long-term medication and health care, this can be extremely costly in Thailand.

Food, vehicles, social, medical, cable TV, phone and Internet etc can be more expensive than in the West if you want to live Farang style.

So there are the facts and if you can afford it, keeping in mind that you will probably not be able to find work or other means to gain addition income, than welcome to Thailand. Otherwise you move here at your own discretion.

Another major factor to consider is that once you have packed up completely in your own country and moved to Thailand, it would be extremely difficult to reverse the process and return home again. Over here if all goes pear shaped, you're on your own, no ones going to be able to assist you and if you're here on a retirement visa requiring 800000 baht in the bank or a pension income of 65000 baht or a mixture of both and you can't sustain this, than it`s 7 days notice to leave the Kingdom.

To the OP: It is a decision you have to make, but will add my personal experience. I began dreaming of perhaps retiring here way back in 1990. Two years ago I did retire, stayed in America for about a year and a half and then decided...why not...I can do it. And my first 10 months here were wonderful.

Then the protests began. At first it was merely an inconvenince. Then it got to the point where -- as a not-so-young guy...let's see if go to a place and they suddenly shut down the mass transit, will I be okay getting home. Then one day I drove out to Chang Wattana to do my 90 day report...and just 24 hours later the 4 gun battle occurred right about where I got off the expressway. Then last week, as the crackdown began...smoke loomed down our soi midday because we are not far off Rama IV. For several nights it concerned me that this old guy with a heart condition wouldn't be able to get to the hospital in a nighttime emergency. I used to feel safe getting in my car and driving out into the provinces. I don't feel safe doing that now. It just seems as if my world has shrunk and shrunk and shrunk over the past month.

As the current poster points out...And so I have spent the past week trying to put things back together in the States. Getting my stuff shipped back...to a new city...to a non-existent address. Realizing one of my major credit cards is expiring right at the worst time. I will have to buy a new house or TH, and luckily I can afford to do so. Have to buy a new car. Have to start all over. The only blessing in the reestablishment is that my old state maintains you as a tax-paying citizen (which at the time I learned it I thought it was a curse) and your drivers license remains valid. One by one I am working through all these challenges...and I'll take that view that whatever doesn't destroy you makes you stronger. But I'm very glad I have to go back at the age of 65, rather than when I would get much older. What if I were 68 or 70 or more...maybe I couldn't.

To answer the OP, it's one of those times that wouldn't it be nice to have a crystal ball? There are many posters who think Thailand will now return to the land of milk and honey...the land of smiles...that we all know and love(d). Personally, I don't agree. Things often go in cycles, and I think Thailand is entering a negative one. You have to decide that for yourself. You might want to read nytimes.com/2010/05/21/world/asia/21bangkok.html . Admittedly, it's the negative view I have, but I think it is well thought-out, rather than simply a panic piece.

For my first 10 months here I soon learned many of the not-so-wonderful aspects of living here...but on the balance I could almost always say, but here are the things to balance that out. For this past month...the balance is gone. The other day as I was analyzing what to do, I actually thought of Maslow's hierarchy and realized that many of the basics at the bottom of his pyramid have vanished for me...especially being safe. And so I am choosing to leave.

What I advise you to do is carefully analyze why you want to come here. Are the current risks worth it to you? Or is it better to at least wait a year and see what happens...and also take that year to determine how you will start over back in your own country, if you have to. I was very careful when moving here not to burn any bridges...in the sense of things like:

1. Maintaining my American bank accounts (and by the way, HSBC has been a godsend)

2. Maintaining my American credit cards

3. Maintaining a legitimate American mailing address

Now my personal advice is -- live at "home", visit Thailand. A year ago, 6 months ago, 10 months ago...I wouldn't have said that.

I do you wish you good luck and a wise decision. Please do think carefully.

I think this post is quite negative and reading it, I can understand why. He came here with a dream and slowly but surely, that dream had been eroded, which I too would find terribly disappointing.

However, I have lived in Thailand on the lovely Island of Koh Samui for 5 years and 5 years before that I visited the Island once every year. By the time I came here, I felt I had made a good analysis of what to expect from my new life-style and why I wanted to leave my old life-style in the UK. In summary they are the weather, not having to sit in my house all day, seeing so many unhappy people, the intimidating youth on the streets, the cost of living, the nanny state, the opportunity for adventure and travel.

I agree things have changed alot in that time. The exchange rate has gone from 75 baht to the £ to 48 baht to the £ - this has depleted the pensions income by 30+%. The demonstrations and political turmoil have been frustrating, but I have to say, living on our little Island here, it has not affected us one iota and we might as well be living in a foreign Country. For all intents and purposes, we are but distant observers of the developments and I would bet my next year's pensions that we will not be affected, other than to see a drop in the tourist trade, which is sad for those who are in business on the Island. But there again, there are many repeat tourists who come to the Island and they know how safe it is here and they still come. They also do not need to transit through Bangkok because Koh Samui is an international airport.

In my five years I have fulfilled most of my dreams of travel and adventure, although I still have some ticks to put in unfulfilled boxes. My Thai wife has invested in houses for rent and she has moved into the long term rental market, as opposed to the holiday market, which is sustaining itself very well - 80%+ full. So she also has a Thai income which helps to off-set the exchange rate issue. Incidentally I too find Thai women more amenable and in return I have tried hard to be less of the brash, bossy farang, which I knew I was before I came here to settle. My late Wife bless her was prone to advise me that I could benefit from being a little less direct with people?

Becoming a member of a Thai Family was also a major cultural change for me. I admired how close many Families remain throughout life and how they take care of each other - until I ended up in the middle of it and was expected to welcome Family members into my house, night or day and without notice and for them to stay as long as they liked, without consultation.. I am getting more used to it now and have informed myself that I am a Guest in a foreign country and it is me who needs to adapt, not the other way round. My Thai Family have also been very understanding with this strange and new Family Member and whether I like it or not, they love me dearly!

I hope this has been good background for you, but of course the million dollar question is; would I still come here with things being as they are now? Emphatically YES. But, as others have cautioned, I would do so making sure I also have an exit strategy and would not be inclined to invest in anything big and permanent such as a house or a business for the first year. There are many lovely places for rent at about 25,000 baht or less and you could also try different localities such as Bangkok (not my cup of tea apart from Shopping therapy), Phuket, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui and many more delightful places, which are also unaffected by the demonstrations. If things go really pear-shaped, would I leave Thailand, yes I would, but most reluctantly. Would I return to the UK - not if I can help it as I find it to be the least attractive of the options for me.

To make a long story longer I would recommend that you come for a year and have a good look around, but give Bangkok a bit of a wide berth for a while. In that time you could have a brilliant time both in the Country and to use it as a launch pad to visit the other fascinating Countries in the Far East, each with their unique culture. I have no regrets :) .

To make a long story longer I would recommend that you come for a year and have a good look around, but give Bangkok a bit of a wide berth for a while. In that time you could have a brilliant time both in the Country and to use it as a launch pad to visit the other fascinating Countries in the Far East, each with their unique culture. I have no regrets :) .

Excellent post which, I think, describes most peoples aspirations for retirement.

The recommendation to 'live it' for a year is sound and helps you evolve from tourist to potential permanent resident.

My recommendation is that you consider carefully where it is in Thailand that you decide to retire. People ask me all the time what the weather is like in America. Well, it depends on where, doesn't it? Chiang Mai and Pattaya might as well be in different countries, based on how different life is in each. Depends on what you're looking for. Check them all out, if you can. Good luck, regardless.

Excellent post which, I think, describes most peoples aspirations for retirement.

The recommendation to 'live it' for a year is sound and helps you evolve from tourist to potential permanent resident.

Yes an excellent post that the OP should take note of.

Retirement should be a fluid concept according to needs and requirements......one place may be okay but not tomorrow...always be ready to leave and move on...

that's an advice for poor vagabonds who own nothing, not for regular people.

OP,

I would not rule Thailand out for a place of retirement. Yes, a civil rights movement we are in the middle of but we as farangs are not the target of this civil rights movement.......yet.

There are a ton of frustrations living in a developing / 3rd world country but for the most part there are work-a-rounds for most of those moments. (Key word most)

As you can see reading Thai forums, some guys handle the challenges better than others.

A first world country it is not and in my opinion, will never be.

When I first moved here I could count the gray hairs on my head...now it is easier to count the black ones. Some may suggest old age is the cause, but I doubt it.

If I had to do it again. Here is what I would have done.

--Find a decent price on a rental car (for a year) and buy a GPS unit.

--Buy a cheap Laptop & phone.

--Open a local bank account with an ATM card

--Pack a couple of suit cases with your basic stuff clothes etc.etc.

--Fill up your gas tank, put on your safety belt & rose colored glasses and off you go into the sunset

Maybe a month here and a month there…..up to you.

I would start off visiting areas of Thailand that have a Farang population not in any order such as:

Pattaya / Rayong / Phuket / Koh Samui / Khorat / Khon Kean / Udon Thani / Chiang Rai / Chiang Mai /

Ubon Ratchathani / Surin.

Spending a few weeks in each area.

When you feel comfortable enough in Thailand there are lots of other areas that are worth checking out.

Once you find an area you like and are comfortable in, rent a house / apartment and let the games begin.

Don’t worry, the areas listed above all have the necessary supermarkets / beer bars / cafes if that is what you want/need as well as reasonably priced hotels.

With me, I had never been to Thailand in my life, until I moved here full-time. What a shock!!

I got stuck in Pattaya for the first 2 years before I started living in other areas of this wonderful country.

When I first moved here I brought a car and motorbike and all the other junk one needs to survive so moving around the country was quite a logistics nightmare for me…but it was still enjoyable and I do not regret anything except for allowing a girl to move in with me the first 6 months I was here. Never again so the saying goes.

Now after nearly 8 years living in several of the above listed areas, I find myself back in the Pattaya area. Don’t ask me why….but I am (for the 5th time) getting ready to move back to the Issan area before the years end.

For me Issan was where I had the happiest times of my retired life and being happy is my number 1 goal.

Issan may not be my final destination, but it is my next destination.

Your mileage may vary & good luck to you.

Cheers....

For me Issan was where I had the happiest times of my retired life and being happy is my number 1 goal.

Issan may not be my final destination, but it is my next destination.

A good story but, apart from the first 6 months months entanglement, you make no mention wife/GF.

That almost makes it intruiging because most stories are driven by the relationships. It seems that you did it differently by exploring Thailand alone ? - are you now being drawn to Isaan by it's culture or for relationship reasons ?

Nosey, I accept, but I am genuinely interested to know where a lady/ladies fit into those 8 years of discovery.

I amnot sure I would chose here now. Today I looked at Philippine visa site. To go there is cheaper only need $10,000 american deposit and $800 a month american, and the $10,000 you can invest it in property in the future. I have had 800,000 baht sitting in my account since I came here with no interest paid on it., That is arround $25,000 american of dead money just sitting there doing nothing but giving me a visa. I recommend look at Philippines. Way better investment wise.

it seems you missed something. Your 800,000 Baht don t need to "sit" in the account. You can withdraw whatever you want, by the ATM card - free of fees ! The only regulation is, the 800,000 must be back in the account two months prior of the yearly visa renewal. If you live in Asia and withdraw your living costs from your foreign bank card, the fees might really sum up !!! Plus you get a bad exchange rate. I exchange and put into the account, when the echange rate is ideal. I exchanged 16,326 Euros into Baht last year at 49:1 , so now ( 39 : 1 ) I have made a profit of nearly 4,190 Euros !! Are you talking interest ??? That was 25 % !!!

. I exchange and put into the account, when the echange rate is ideal. I exchanged 16,326 Euros into Baht last year at 49:1 , so now ( 39 : 1 ) I have made a profit of nearly 4,190 Euros !! Are you talking interest ??? That was 25 % !!!

Interesting way of looking at a 'profit'.

Presumably, if you need to transfer EUR 16,000 this year, and the rate is no better than 39, (which it won't be) will you report a loss of EUR 4,000 ?

Retirement should be a fluid concept according to needs and requirements......one place may be okay but not tomorrow...always be ready to leave and move on...

Or those who prefer financial to hard assets.

After a divorce you should not make big finicial decisions for one year. After a major move ( to Thailand) you should not make a big finicial decision for one year.

Years ago I played handball ( not very good at it) I would enter tournments and pretty much knew I would get a couple of games before I would run into someone much better than myself and I would be out. Well that usually left a lot of time for drinking beer and socializing which for me was more fun than playing handball. People would ask me if you know you are going to be out early why do you come, I would answer I come for the beer if by chance I get futher in the tournament great.

Just come for the beer, donot take yourself to serious, and have a good time. If you cannot have a good time in Thailand something is wrong with you.

Or those who prefer financial to hard assets.

...and inspite of their financial assets live like vagabonds :)

After a divorce you should not make big finicial decisions for one year. After a major move ( to Thailand) you should not make a big finicial decision for one year.

Years ago I played handball ( not very good at it) I would enter tournments and pretty much knew I would get a couple of games before I would run into someone much better than myself and I would be out. Well that usually left a lot of time for drinking beer and socializing which for me was more fun than playing handball. People would ask me if you know you are going to be out early why do you come, I would answer I come for the beer if by chance I get futher in the tournament great.

Just come for the beer, donot take yourself to serious, and have a good time. If you cannot have a good time in Thailand something is wrong with you.

They way this post is written, it looks like you have been on the beer prior to writing... :)

My thoughts. I live in Thailand, l am English and have traveled all over the USA and thought it great, in fact if money was no object l would live in your country. BUT, it depends what YOU want from life, what are you looking for, why with all those states of America, totally different climates and way of life do you want to go else where. ?

Money, for most of us Americans. Personally, I'd prefer to retire on Kauai, but whereas the cost of living on Kauai might be 4 X my original abode in the American Southwest, Thailand is 1/4 the cost of living in the Southwest. Plus, I don't need to worry about drug cartels coming across the border and butchering anybody who gets in their way. I'd rather deal with a (insert color, here) Shirt anytime.

Edited by zydeco

My thoughts. I live in Thailand, l am English and have traveled all over the USA and thought it great, in fact if money was no object l would live in your country. BUT, it depends what YOU want from life, what are you looking for, why with all those states of America, totally different climates and way of life do you want to go else where. ?

Money, for most of us Americans. Personally, I'd prefer to retire on Kauai, but whereas the cost of living on Kauai might be 4 X my original abode in the American Southwest, Thailand is 1/4 the cost of living in the Southwest. Plus, I don't need to worry about drug cartels coming across the border and butchering anybody who gets in their way. I'd rather deal with a (insert color, here) Shirt anytime.

that is impossible! a number of "experienced and learned" TV-members :D claim that living in Thailand is more expensive than in any farang home country :)

Yes I retired in Thailand,it is all about your own standard of living,isn't it?I spent my first 46 years in the states and then was able to wake up.Keep the states,high taxes,crime,too many rules and regulations and too many American women. Need I say more?? :):D:D:D

This post should be hugely helpful to the OP.

Basically, get yourself overhere and get on the sauce. :):D:D:D

it seems you missed something. Your 800,000 Baht don t need to "sit" in the account. You can withdraw whatever you want, by the ATM card - free of fees ! The only regulation is, the 800,000 must be back in the account two months prior of the yearly visa renewal ...

The 800K bank money needs to be seasoned only two months for the first extension, but three months for subsequent ones.

BTW, for the Philippine retirement program, after a few months the money can be invested in many authorized ways, for example towards buying housing, interest bearing Philippine bonds, etc. Unlike Thailand, the banked qualifying money cannot be used for living expenses but there is no annual top up requirement (in other words, you can used it all on a condo and that's it, no more imported money needed to show). Also, unlike Thailand, people UNDER 50 can participate in the Philippine program (money requirements are higher for younger people).

Edited by Jingthing

what problems - there are no problems here in Phuket - it's 800km away from bangkok, it's almost like a whole different country ... loving it here!

(the Philippine's??? really?? that shit hole???)

that's good advice - I agree, just play safe, enjoy the ride, just don't get involved too easily ... you're retired after all, take it easy and you'll be ok.

the most important thing to keep in mind that it doesn't make sense to compare, it's not better or worse - it's different - some fit here better than in their own country (like me :)) and never look back, many can't grasp the new reality they have to deal with and get very frustrated ... it's personal, test it first.

Maybe because the US is flat broke. 33 US states are as broke as Greece.

US is flat broke...................if USA is broke how would you describe Thailand's economic status?

Hate to say it, because I am invested here, but yes, I might still come, but in these times more than usual RENT don't buy!

I have to agree. No matter what country you live, if you do not own a house in retirement why use your funds to sink in a house? You life is getting a hel_l of a lot shorter and you are on a fixed income. I still plan on retiring in Thailand.

Maybe because the US is flat broke. 33 US states are as broke as Greece.

US is flat broke...................if USA is broke how would you describe Thailand's economic status?

Thats simple. it's doing very nicely actually. Yes, tourism is well down but the rest of the economy is going great and they don't i believe owe any money.

How many nations can boast that?

If you want to live farang style in Thailand = more expensive than home.

If you live Thai style = cheaper than home

This is generally true no matter what country you live in. The closer you live to the local economy, the less expensive it will be. When in Tokyo for instance, I stay in a small Japanese businessman's hotel in Asakusa. It cost me less than a third what the typical tourist/western hotel would cost for similar accommodations. I eat local and well at costs considerably below the touristy places like McD and KFC.

In answer to the OP's question, yes I would still retire in Thailand. Actually I retire on Jan. 31, 2011 and I already have a confirmed, one-way ticket from LAX to BKK on Feb. 1.

I've been to Thailand numerous times over the past 11 years and have seen it from Chiang Mai to Koh Lanta and have loved all off it ... some parts more than others. Maybe I am more adventurous than the average person (was in Nepal back in the Maoist insurgency days and had a blast) but I haven't seen anything that gives me pause, including the most recent events in BKK.

I only regret that I have to wait until February to get there.