Retirement In Thailand?

philliphn

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting…. I’m in the opposite situation. Been here nearly 14 years minus 2-4 annually trips home or approximately 2 months a year and are very sceptic about leaving Thailand for Europe. But due to love and respect to my now both deceased parents which I once promised to return and take over the farm and that it have always been a kind of unwritten deal to do so. If not and unless my healt goes rapidly down I had spent the rest of my life here and just taken a vacation to Europe when I felt for it.. Sure there are things which in my opinion have changed to the worse in Thailand, but so have many things in Europe. I personally have also clearly changed over the years, a few years back and I still was sure that Europe should be my place when I “grow old” but not so sure about that anymore, even when I sometimes are there 2 months + in a stretch I feel like a stranger on my home turf. So I’m looking for a middle way, pobably renting the place out. But in all honesty I’m so tired of travelling forth and back, spending most of my money in Europe and if it not was that I’m afraid I will regret it one day, I had sold up.

Anyway , unless the OP is of bad health and need regularly healthcare I see no reason not to do what he intend to do, even Pattaya. Good Luck. :)

No way I would do it again (i.e., retire here). It was a bad decision that I made a long time ago.

The country has deteriorated, especially over the past ten years.

And the heat is getting worse each year.............same for air pollution.

It seems clear that the govt. no longer wants us here..........that is reflected in the anti-foreigner visa rule changes that have taken place over the past ten years.

I think Thailand is an interesting place to visit..............but other places are starting to look more attractive to me.

That is, of course, my view. Others love it here.

QUOTE (freethefour @ 2010-06-03 23:15:03) QUOTE (sokal @ 2010-05-23 22:31:29) QUOTE (transam @ 2010-05-23 21:09:14) My thoughts. I live in Thailand, l am English and have traveled all over the USA and thought it great, in fact if money was no object l would live in your country. BUT, it depends what YOU want from life, what are you looking for, why with all those states of America, totally different climates and way of life do you want to go else where. ?

Maybe because the US is flat broke. 33 US states are as broke as Greece.

US is flat broke...................if USA is broke how would you describe Thailand's economic status?

Actually the US owes Thailand 120 Billion USD which it cant afford to pay back.

It seems clear that the govt. no longer wants us here..........that is reflected in the anti-foreigner visa rule changes that have taken place over the past ten years.

what exactly are these anti-foreigner rules you are referring too?

QUOTE (freethefour @ 2010-06-03 23:15:03) QUOTE (sokal @ 2010-05-23 22:31:29) QUOTE (transam @ 2010-05-23 21:09:14) My thoughts. I live in Thailand, l am English and have traveled all over the USA and thought it great, in fact if money was no object l would live in your country. BUT, it depends what YOU want from life, what are you looking for, why with all those states of America, totally different climates and way of life do you want to go else where. ?

Maybe because the US is flat broke. 33 US states are as broke as Greece.

US is flat broke...................if USA is broke how would you describe Thailand's economic status?

Actually the US owes Thailand 120 Billion USD which it cant afford to pay back.

;)I seem to have been quoted here yet what i said has not shown up on the screen. My point was that the economy here is in excellent shape. Better shape it seems than the new TV forum format :)

Please bear with the quoting function for another day or so... there are literally millions of posts (and quotes) that have to be upgraded and indexed in the new software.

All will be back to normal soon.

No way I would do it again (i.e., retire here). It was a bad decision that I made a long time ago.

The country has deteriorated, especially over the past ten years.

And the heat is getting worse each year.............same for air pollution.

I think Thailand is an interesting place to visit..............but other places are starting to look more attractive to me.

That is, of course, my view. Others love it here.

Some good news- i happen to know that the Thai governments next 5 year development plan includes an objective of encouraging western retirees to retire in thailand and changing the laws/regulations as necessary. Slight bad news is that i think they are aiming for the wealthier retiree so the min. financial requirements may be on the higher side.

Some good news- i happen to know that the Thai governments next 5 year development plan includes an objective of encouraging western retirees to retire in thailand and changing the laws/regulations as necessary. Slight bad news is that i think they are aiming for the wealthier retiree so the min. financial requirements may be on the higher side.

if this is correct then Malaysia taught them a lesson.

Well there have been numerous consistent things not to do about coming here to stay as a retiree

Sadly, in my waste of time experience, newbies almost never listen to or follow the accepted good practice guidelines handed out by well meaning long timers

So really its up to you

pay your money (plenty of that needed) and place your bet and dont cosy up with the locals (st ok)

try and be sociable and join in with other expats

if you are one of those antisocial loners with issues that floats around the fringes making a nuisance, taking everything he can for free and giving nothing in return - then piss off

if this is correct then Malaysia taught them a lesson.

here we go - this was Toxins old pitch - only high rollers allowed.

its about time they raised the gates - B1,500,000 a year income - that would shake the tree somewhat. Well theyve done this several times before (it used to be 200,000). One time if you bought a condo for 3mill then you got an automatic renewable year visa without income statement but they quickly shut the door on that one

if you are wealthy there are many much nicer places to be than low life los.

also you dont want to rub shoulders with cheap charlie retirees - you stick with your own bracket

In answer to the OP's question, yes I would still retire in Thailand. Actually I retire on Jan. 31, 2011 and I already have a confirmed, one-way ticket from LAX to BKK on Feb. 1.

I've been to Thailand numerous times over the past 11 years and have seen it from Chiang Mai to Koh Lanta and have loved all off it ... some parts more than others. Maybe I am more adventurous than the average person (was in Nepal back in the Maoist insurgency days and had a blast) but I haven't seen anything that gives me pause, including the most recent events in BKK.

I only regret that I have to wait until February to get there.

Don't flatter yourself, traveling from CM to Koh Lanta is hardly adventurous.

There is a good thread on alternatives to Thailand for retirement:

Alternative Retirement Destinations For Expats (other Than Thailand) - Thailand Forum - Page 14

So far, nobody has come up with a better alternative...given the financial considerations anyway...like a previous poster indicated, Hawaii would be awesome...but just not affordable for many of us.

I am hoping at retire in TH within the next year. The only news I heard about the riots from my friends was from an old gf and she lives on Soi 22 BKK. The others in Phuket, Korat, and Pattaya said nothing had happened regarding it all.

I do get worried sometimes that I am not understanding what all the life problems that I read about sometimes actually are. I've visited 8 times and it was great every time. Of course it's easy to have a good time on a 5000 bt a day holiday!

I think where ever one goes, learning at least some of the language goes a long way. It still makes me crazy when I'm sitting a meter away from a TG on her cell and I cannot in the least even get the drift of the conversation!

I am hoping to get by on 40-50K bt a month, about $ 1500 USD. I don't know how realistic that is but I aim to find out ! I'm enjoying this thread - SS