Retirement In Thailand?

philliphn

1. I don't mean for this to be insulting, but coming here because you can get women here is the reason that guy said you could crash and burn. Unless you have friends who can introduce you to regular girls then you are obviously only going to be hanging out with bargirls and hookers, and as fun as that may sound, as a guy of retirement age coming here to get laid, you are pretty much certain to get rolled until your cash dries up and then you're on your own. Finding a good girl who likes you for you is going to be very difficult. I know this is the same anywhere including the US but in Thailand they have made an artform out of it and you won't stand a chance.

I would have to disagree, being the same age as the poster and coming here without knowing anyone, I think I can give a valid opinion.

Hanging out with bargirls and hookers is a lot of fun, especially as they are much younger than us and mostly really nice people.

Finding a 'good girl' isn't all that hard, you just have to control access to your cash and never spend more than you can afford.

In the last year I have made some of the best friends I have ever had (none of them Thai and none of them want anything from me)

Life is more fun for me than I have ever had before, playing pool, drinking tea, chatting to girls, learning a new language.

I am having more and better quality sex than I have ever had in my life (and I had contiguous sexual partners from age 18).

Back in the UK I could have only afforded to be living in a cold, damp bedsit just waiting to die, the last woman I was getting into a serious relationship in the UK was 60

(I did have 23 and a 27 year old gfs at the same time but I found them boring).

Does my new young Thai wife really love me or is it the money? who gives a %$£k!

Edited by sarahsbloke

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Thailand! Don't take it personally, it says more about them than it does you. Most farangs here have a superior attitude and think they are better than anyone else because they have been looked up to by locals for so long that they forget the losers they really were before they exiled themselves here.

you took the words from my mouth. on top of that the favourite pastime of many losers is to whine, whinge and criticise each and everything in thai culture, tradition, behaviour or anything which does not conform with their (often) extremely narrow minded views.

:)

A perfect definition of narrow minded would be the contents of these two posts. You are both mixing in the wrong company or need to get out more. :D

Actually I think a pretty good example of narrow mindedness is someone who thinks Koh Samui is "The Final Frontier" when it's actually the easiest place to get to in Thailand and is so saturated with tourists, expats and development that it hardly even resembles Thailand anymore and might as well be an 18-30s resort.

If you understood the trail that preceeded my comment you would have understood what I was talking about and it wasn't a sweeping remark on all expats here but just the ones who jibe others because they think they are superior to anyone else here.

now that i consider unwarranted because i'm sure comrade "Carmine" uses the expression "final frontier" in a joking way. but he should have pointed out in which way we both are narrow minded as we only stated undeniable facts. undeniable is that the majority of Farangs consider themselves superior beings and think they are "crème de la crème" among a bunch of natives. deep in their heart of hearts some of them might think differently but do not behave accordingly.

Do you live in Thailand or UK?

I live in Thailand, if you had read any of my other posts in this thread alone you would have known that, which means you judged me as being narrow minded without doing an ounce of background check so who's narrow minded now??

Welcome to Thailand! Don't take it personally, it says more about them than it does you. Most farangs here have a superior attitude and think they are better than anyone else because they have been looked up to by locals for so long that they forget the losers they really were before they exiled themselves here.

you took the words from my mouth. on top of that the favourite pastime of many losers is to whine, whinge and criticise each and everything in thai culture, tradition, behaviour or anything which does not conform with their (often) extremely narrow minded views.

:D

Perfect !!!! :)

I live in Thailand, if you had read any of my other posts in this thread alone you would have known that, which means you judged me as being narrow minded without doing an ounce of background check so who's narrow minded now??

Let's not be silly here. i just asked you a question, which is very different to "judging" you.

Don't be so sensitive :)

"result: the minority of foreigners who live in Thailand and appreciate their lives in Thailand will be judged on their own individual merits."

Don't think so Naam....especially of the red/black shirts do follow thru with thier threats of random violence against all symbols of the elite and government. Your [and most of our] lifestyles could easily be observed as elite.

Sorry, but mobs and terrorists don't judge.....they react.

Let's not be silly here. i just asked you a question, which is very different to "judging" you.

Don't be so sensitive :)

You can try to backpeddal now but you jumped into this thread with nothing else but name calling and then you say "don't be sensitive" when I defend myself. You also asked me a question and then had nothng to follow it up with, don't be like than man, if you actually have any point to make then just say it or you can admit that you're wrong with your premature judgement.

I retired to Thailand from California in 2003. I thought Pattaya was the place to be for about a year. After that the warts and raw sewage got to me. Additionally, living there became akin to living on a small island where everyone knew your business. There are more criminals per square mile in Pattaya than anywhere this side of Somalia.

I moved to Bangkok and have really enjoyed my retired life. That said, I would never have retired here given all the issues and events that have occurred since I've been here. The only reason I'm still here is my girlfriend of five years. It would be heartless to remove her from her homeland that she cherishes. I have seen the SARS epidemic crush the tourism industry and the drug wars kill 2,400+ Thais over a three month period. The civil war in the south of the country where beheading is the norm and burning and killing people in the name of some God is so prevalent now that it is barely mentioned. The 2006 coup, bird flu, crumbling infrastructure and corruption are just a few things we saw recently affect in the Kingdom. The yellow criminals close the airport and the reds riot in Bangkok virtually killing the tourism industry not to mention other Thais should give all of us pause. Then there is the not so foreigner friendly immigration rules to keep out the hoards of unwashed, like the criminal element in Pattaya and Sukhumvit Soi Africa.

I suggest you come over and try it. Lease your home and don't think of investing here until you know the lay of the land. Do not invest money in anything, especially business proposals presented to you from a bar stool. If you want to be in business and your goal is to be a millionaire bring two million because you are 99% guaranteed to lose at least half of your money. That is why a business proposal is called a "scheme" here in the Land of Smiles.

Don't be afraid to try something new and exciting. Keep your wits about you and learn from other peoples mistakes. You could be one of the lucky few that are genuinely happy to be living in the Kingdom of Thailand.

Don't be so sensitive :D

You can try to backpeddal now but you jumped into this thread with nothing else but name calling and then you say "don't be sensitive" when I defend myself. You also asked me a question and then had nothng to follow it up with, don't be like than man, if you actually have any point to make then just say it or you can admit that you're wrong with your premature judgement.

I asked you a question...you answered it. I was mildly interested thats all. Get over it.

Secondly, there's no back peddling on my my part. I still think the way you have catagorised "most falangs" here is totally unfair and narrow minded. IMHO.

I have my opinions and you have yours. Thats it, its a forum, get over it. :)

"result: the minority of foreigners who live in Thailand and appreciate their lives in Thailand will be judged on their own individual merits."

Don't think so Naam....especially of the red/black shirts do follow thru with thier threats of random violence against all symbols of the elite and government. Your [and most of our] lifestyles could easily be observed as elite. Sorry, but mobs and terrorists don't judge.....they react.

Thailand is not only mobs and terrorists. lots of nice people live here too. what happened in BKK was the result of unscrupulous "leaders" whipping up the (perhaps justified) anger of (mostly) uneducated villagers. it is not my job to criticise the government of my host country but clearly its hesitation and lack of action added to aggravate the situation.

1. You budget for the things you want. I have a healthy budget.

Old but wise advice. Dont invest more in Thailand then you can afford to loose.

it's a stupid and ignorant advice because this advice applies to each and every investment anywhere and is not limited to Thailand.

Retirement in Thailand?

Yes, but with a few cautions thrown in.

Health insurance; will be a problem as you approach 65-70. That said the health care available here is excellent.

Housing; rent don't buy. Very cheap to rent and it means you can up sticks and move about as you want to and as you all know foreigners cannot own here although the lease or usufruct agreements are legal. If you do buy, make sure you have a good lawyer to sort the lease or usufruct out first.

Women; If you've lived here before for any appreciable length of time, you'll understand that 99% of relationships between farang and easily won over Thai (Lao Issan) girls are bogus. So avoid. If you're 65 and the girl next to you is half your age or most often less . . . you know you've done a wrongun'.

Loneliness; DO NOT MOVE UP COUNTRY TO A VILLAGE WHERE YOU ARE THE ONLY FOREIGNER. Remember you are a foreigner here and are viewed as one, not necessarily in a bad way, you may be accepted but you'll never be a real part of the community. Sorry but it's true. Make sure you live where you can join a group of expat friends.

General living costs; Contrary to popular belief you CAN live farang here quite cheap, you just need to source suppliers and organise and you might haver to cook for yourself so get a book! I made 11kgs of spaghetti sauce the other day for 420 Baht, portion up and freeze. Be mean from day one, you're here to live normally, it's not a holiday, income is X, expenses are Y, X>Y = Good. X<Y = Go home early with nothing much.

Interests; Healthy activities for mind, body and soul which does not include mongering. Go down the mongering path at your peril as it will destroy you as a person . . . in every way. I like the garden centres and DIY but then my daughter owns a house here.

Try not to mind the little things. This country is different to the West. Accept it. Even after 9 years I personally struggle with this hence I'm gagging to get back home to a normal job and all the stress head BS of the West and will visit . . . occassionally.

Above all, don't lock yourself into anything. I know plenty of old chaps out here, quite poorly now, with a young little thing going through the last of the money and waiting for the old boy to die. Not a nice way to spend your last days.

Oh . . . and learn the language!

Edited by MJP

I asked you a question...you answered it. I was mildly interested thats all. Get over it.

Secondly, there's no back peddling on my my part. I still think the way you have catagorised "most falangs" here is totally unfair and narrow minded. IMHO.

I have my opinions and you have yours. Thats it, its a forum, get over it. rolleyes.gif

Well said!, the kids being a bit cocky now. Some areas of Samui may be a concrete mess, but its still a good place to have some fun.

Thailand is not only mobs and terrorists. lots of nice people live here too. what happened in BKK was the result of unscrupulous "leaders" whipping up the (perhaps justified) anger of (mostly) uneducated villagers. it is not my job to criticise the government of my host country but clearly its hesitation and lack of action added to aggravate the situation.

Good Dr, you may have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest there!. Do'nt you know that TV has been taken over by the "hang em high brigade" :)

it's a stupid and ignorant advice because this advice applies to each and every investment anywhere and is not limited to Thailand.

I would say that having viewed the events here over the last couple of years my money would have been slightly better invested in London. The advice i was given to do that, and infact ignored, was very good advice in hindsight would'nt you agree?

With the corruption and political turmoil here it certainly would'nt be stupid to advise "buyer beware" when investing here. Very prudent i think.

Given my time again, i'd invest nothing more than the cost of a two week holiday here. I'm not knocking the country as a destination because i think it's a lovely country, but not a place to invest, certainly not now

I would say that having viewed the events here over the last couple of years my money would have been slightly better invested in London. The advice i was given to do that, and infact ignored, was very good advice in hindsight would'nt you agree?

With the corruption and political turmoil here it certainly would'nt be stupid to advise "buyer beware" when investing here. Very prudent i think.

Given my time again, i'd invest nothing more than the cost of a two week holiday here. I'm not knocking the country as a destination because i think it's a lovely country, but not a place to invest, certainly not now

Same, same . . . same, same and . . . Ooooo . . . . same, same.

income is X, expenses are Y, X>Y = Good. X<Y = Go home early with nothing much.

Reminded me of this...

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

David Copperfield (1850)

income is X, expenses are Y, X>Y = Good. X<Y = Go home early with nothing much.

Reminded me of this...

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

David Copperfield (1850)

Yes! Oh I do so love that quote. Shame Brown got it the wrong way round.

I'm just reminded, as we all try to read our crystal ball, of two things.

First, things rarely get as bad as a worst-case scenario, nor are things rarely as good as a best-case scenario. Whatever happens, it's likely to be somewhere in the middle.

The other thing I want to remind those with the rosy views is that on this general forum, just two weeks, virtually no one predicted that 30-ish buildings would be torched, that the largest shopping mall would be burned to the ground, or that Bangkok's skies would be clouded with smoke and soot.

When I was still a school principal back in the States, my motto was to plan for the worst and hope for the best. I think that's what we should all keep in mind.

To those like me who are leaving, or will soon, I wish us all best of luck and a happy life back in our home-countries.

To those who are going to stay, I wish you all the best of luck and a happy life.

I'm not sure why -- in this particular thread -- things need to get contentious.

I'm just reminded, as we all try to read our crystal ball, of two things.

First, things rarely get as bad as a worst-case scenario, nor are things rarely as good as a best-case scenario. Whatever happens, it's likely to be somewhere in the middle.

The other thing I want to remind those with the rosy views is that on this general forum, just two weeks, virtually no one predicted that 30-ish buildings would be torched, that the largest shopping mall would be burned to the ground, or that Bangkok's skies would be clouded with smoke and soot.

When I was still a school principal back in the States, my motto was to plan for the worst and hope for the best. I think that's what we should all keep in mind.

To those like me who are leaving, or will soon, I wish us all best of luck and a happy life back in our home-countries.

To those who are going to stay, I wish you all the best of luck and a happy life.

I'm not sure why -- in this particular thread -- things need to get contentious.

NoCountryforOldMen.jpg

Well the advice is pretty consistent overall

and it looks like if you had to ask the question, you didn't need the answer.

What no one has mentioned is the fact that you CAN'T retire here in that sense of the word

You arrive as a visitor and will ever remain so, and can be marginalised by higher immigration requirements putting you out of the game at whatever whim suits their politics. Ever year rules get tougher

They want your money but they don't want you and you have NO legal protection here to speak of.

Come here with a suitcase, rent an appartment, don't get tied up with a tart or buy anything and be prepared to leave at a moments notice (or certainly move if the vultures are closing in around you)

Unless you are a wierd loner stay away from up country. You really are isolated up there surrounded by watchful eyes and jealous villagers even if they do smile and fawn all over you. Stick with your own kind - its safer.

In the long term expect the GBP and USD to steadily devalue against the Baht (and the ChineseRMB) after all look how much western money has come off the printing presses. Its not rocket science. Eaxample Baht was 72 = 1GBP and I was getting 5.5% return on capital, now its 45 and 0% respectively you do the math - yes 100B costs me 3 times as much as 18 months ago and couple that with the thai habit of putting prices up when business is bad.

If you have got serious money then you shouldn't even consider slumdog LOS.

Well the advice is pretty consistent overall

and it looks like if you had to ask the question, you didn't need the answer.

What no one has mentioned is the fact that you CAN'T retire here in that sense of the word

You arrive as a visitor and will ever remain so, and can be marginalised by higher immigration requirements putting you out of the game at whatever whim suits their politics. Ever year rules get tougher

They want your money but they don't want you and you have NO legal protection here to speak of.

Come here with a suitcase, rent an appartment, don't get tied up with a tart or buy anything and be prepared to leave at a moments notice (or certainly move if the vultures are closing in around you)

Unless you are a wierd loner stay away from up country. You really are isolated up there surrounded by watchful eyes and jealous villagers even if they do smile and fawn all over you. Stick with your own kind - its safer.

In the long term expect the GBP and USD to steadily devalue against the Baht (and the ChineseRMB) after all look how much western money has come off the printing presses. Its not rocket science. Eaxample Baht was 72 = 1GBP and I was getting 5.5% return on capital, now its 45 and 0% respectively you do the math - yes 100B costs me 3 times as much as 18 months ago and couple that with the thai habit of putting prices up when business is bad.

If you have got serious money then you shouldn't even consider slumdog LOS.

I know we'll draw fire on this one, but you are correct. Best stay put in my opinion. I really don't consider this place a viable option for retirees, simply on the grounds of health insurance let alone the rest.

OP, The success you have in Thailand will all come down to who you surround yourself with. Like a teenage child growing up, if he hangs with the bad crowd, bad things will happen to him. Thailand is no different for its expats, if you lay with dogs you will most likely end up with fleas.

Considering the OP's #1 stated reason for moving here was the "Girls", I think it safe to say he won't find himself being surrounded by the "best and brightest" :D

Ultimately his #1 reason for moving here will probably be the # 1 reason for his demise here. :D

Of course, if he's at retirement age, what on earth is his interest in "Girls"?? Perhaps he meant to type women. :)

OP, The success you have in Thailand will all come down to who you surround yourself with. Like a teenage child growing up, if he hangs with the bad crowd, bad things will happen to him. Thailand is no different for its expats, if you lay with dogs you will most likely end up with fleas.

Considering the OP's #1 stated reason for moving here was the "Girls", I think it safe to say he won't find himself being surrounded by the "best and brightest" :D

Ultimately his #1 reason for moving here will probably be the # 1 reason for his demise here. :D

Of course, if he's at retirement age, what on earth is his interest in "Girls"?? Perhaps he meant to type women. :)

To the point and very true bruv. At 35 I couldn't get it up now if I tried. Hey that rhymes well!

It's been a while, I've forgotten how to add someone to your ignore list.

Go to my controls. It's on the list on the left side near the bottom of the page...

To the OP. There has been some good advice on here. I still own two houses in California, I don't plan on selling any time soon. One I rent, one I keep for myself. I still have a car there, insured and registered. I rent a house here. I've been in the same house about four years now, the rent is the same as it was then. Too bad the dollar isn't! The lease is in my name. Don't put anything in anyone else's name, it a problem just waiting to happen. I bought a car and two motorbikes, used, and put them in my name.

But don't burn your bridges back home! But Pattaya wouldn't be my choice of places to live or even visit again. There are many much nicer areas of Thailand. Learn to speak and understand some Thai. It makes things much easier as many people here don't speak any english. It's definitely not the USA! There is a steep learning curve, especially at first! I've been here about five years now and I'm quite comfortable, but some things still drive me crazy! Nothing ventured nothing gained. Living here has changed my outlook and view points on many things. The whole Red Shirt thing was a very sad event, but there wasn't anything different here in Phuket, just less people.

Get your multi entry O-A "retirement visa" from the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington DC and try it out for a while... Good luck!

Edited by Jimi007

It's been a while, I've forgotten how to add someone to your ignore list.

Go to my controls. It's on the list on the left side near the bottom of the page...

Thanks.

Coincidentally those I was already ignoring have both been banned...

I plan on staying here as long as I can, but one thing to keep in mind. Thailand is not inviting you to live here. If you come, you invited yourself. Don't be fooled that the retirement visa option is a warm official welcome, this is and will remain a xenophobic country.