Taking A Thai To Kenya.

Taking the missus to Kenya on a safari, upon return to Thailand does anyone know if she needs a yellow fever vaccination certificate to get back in?. I know that kenya doesn't require one to get in but I have read that Thailand wants to see one when you land back in Thailand. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this??

Thanks.

Can't help you with Kenya but a few years ago I took my Mrs to South Africa, Swaziland and Malawi. No problems on coming back here - that's flying into directly into Thailand and another time via Singapore.

I remember there was a thread on this same topic on another forum last year; sorry but can't remember which, however I do remember that the OP encountered a great deal of difficulty returning to Thailand because of required immunizations. I suggest you check in advance directly with the health officers at the Airport.

Should be interesting if you are surrounded by Zulu warriors and she yells "hello chocolate man!!!" :D

not only lack of basic education where the Zulus dwell but even insulting the OP's wife. you unHonourable Sir should be taken out of the gene pool! :)

Should be interesting if you are surrounded by Zulu warriors and she yells "hello chocolate man!!!" :)

Masai in place of Zulu.

I wonder if you know a Zulu will fly jet speed for 6 hrs to see a Masai same distance from lets say Gatwick.

Thanks for the on-topic replies.

I want to she her or you say that in the US.

I believe it was an attempt at a joke, wouldnt have been that bad if not for the mixing up of African tribes and a little slander towards the missus. No need to take him that seriously!

Cheers.

I believe it was an attempt at a joke, wouldnt have been that bad if not for the mixing up of African tribes and a little slander towards the missus. No need to take him that seriously!

Cheers.

No need to stick up for or condone ignorance.

Should be interesting if you are surrounded by Zulu warriors and she yells "hello chocolate man!!!" :)
Little chance of that happening in Kenya.

Guys just a joke... loosen up a bit... I have heard many Thais say this and I don't think they mean it as anything disrespectful but it is somewhat cute and funny... not much different than the term farang which no one seems to take exception to... do we have a double standard here?

I have also told this expression to black friend's here and they laugh.

And I do realize Zulus are not native to this area. I think many of us have become too serious with these events in Bangkok.

Edited by losworld

Cheers.

I don't know the OP nor his wife so this is not a jab at either one. I hope they have a nice trip.

Should be interesting if you are surrounded by Zulu warriors and she yells "hello chocolate man!!!" :D

not only lack of basic education where the Zulus dwell but even insulting the OP's wife. you unHonourable Sir should be taken out of the gene pool! :)

I will refrain from responding as you seriously seem to be missing the humour gene.

Edited by losworld

I go to kenya fairly often. Yes, you all need a yellow fever vaccination and certificate in order to come back in to thailand. They were very strict when we landed back in bangkok- everyone gets off the plane and is herded to the medical center in the airport where the doctor will ask to see your certificate.

Its actually not that far to kenya- kenya airways has a direct flight to nairobi, 10 hours.

Edited by ExpatJ

Thanks for the confirmation ExpatJ. Looking forward to the trip now, and yes I am booked on a kenya airways flight, how did you find their service?

Thanks.

Service is very good i thought- very friendly and flirty stewardesses:) But oldish planes.

not sure if you have been to Nairobi before- but i recommend The Carnivore restaurant for you and your wife- eat zebra, crocodile, wildebest among other things. And the Florida 2000 nightclub is alot of fun (probably more for you than your wife!). The Nairobi game park is a short drive from the city and you can do it - there and back- in an afternoon.

I go to kenya fairly often. Yes, you all need a yellow fever vaccination and certificate in order to come back in to thailand. They were very strict when we landed back in bangkok- everyone gets off the plane and is herded to the medical center in the airport where the doctor will ask to see your certificate.

Its actually not that far to kenya- kenya airways has a direct flight to nairobi, 10 hours.

ExpatJ and/or OP: Have you managed to get your yellow fever vaccination done in Bangkok as I too need to renew ours, the last time my wife and I went to Kenya was in 1999 so our vaccinations are out of date. One web-site reccommended Bangkok Hospital Medical Centre, but I checked with them and they say they no longer do it. They suggested Bamrasnaradura Hospital in Nontha Buri, but I haven't been able to confirm this yet. Other alternative is just to get them done in Nairobi, but that wastes safari time. We are flying via Qatar Airways, so won't be arriving back on a direct Kenya Airways flight, but immigration will probably still see the stamps in our passports and ask for the vaccination certificates.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the yellow fever vaccination yesterday at the nakorn ping 2 hospital on sridonchai road in chiang mai. Thanks for the help everyone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Travel insurance? I would need only 10days cover but Ive never got insurance for anything before in Thailand so dont really know where to go and what to get. Any advice welcome.

Cheers.

Got the yellow fever vaccination yesterday at the nakorn ping 2 hospital on sridonchai road in chiang mai. Thanks for the help everyone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Travel insurance? I would need only 10days cover but Ive never got insurance for anything before in Thailand so dont really know where to go and what to get. Any advice welcome.

I use this company, very easy and you can do everything online. If you enter the Promotional Code WNJUN10 they knock off 10%, though I suspect you can alter the code to reflect the month of application.

World Nomads - World Nomads Travel Insurance. Recommended by Lonely Planet

I have been to kenya many times too.

1. If you do not want to take vaccinations, travel agents sell "stamped" yellow WHO vaccination cards showing you took all the necessary shots for 10 dollars.

2. Kenya Aiways flies directly to Nairobi from BKK and have just as good deals as Thai. Their prices are quoted in USD. last time i checked for August was 800 return.

3. You can book a hotel from Nairobi Airport much cheaper than in any website.

4. Drink botled water and cover yourself in the evening. Mosquito net is must. Do not take medication from your home countries for malaria. They are much stronger than the ones you get in Kenya. Taking medication does not mean you will not get Malaria. For under 10 dollars, you can get your blood screened (from the tip of your finger) at any local clinic and get your results in 2 hours. Depending on the strength of the virus in your system, you will get 2-8 shots every 8 hours or so. I usually check for malaria before I leave any country where malaria is widespread, because of complications getting tropical disease doctors in the west. Also, it is way cheaper to be treated in Nairobi than it is in New York (if they can find someone to treat you).

5. Nairobi is also known as "Nairoberry". Please be careful at all times. officil

6. Local private exchange bureaus offer better rates than banks.

Max W

Are there still currency restrictions in place in Kenya?

When I was last there you had to only exchange money at authorised exchanges, although the black market rate was much better, and you had to keep all exchange receipts to show at the airport along with bills for major expenses to tally with the exchange receipts.

Max2010, thanks for the advice, although i have only got the thai made doxcyclone tablets. I took them last time i was in tanzania and ended up alright, and a 3baht a pill im pretty happy with them!

Man, I paid a lot more than 800dollars for my tickets, i guess that'll be the last time i use my travel agent then...

I am going to buy us dollars here in thailand and then bring them in to kenya, i assume this is ok??

Thankfully, we fly staright from nairobi to our safari camp so no need to freak out the missus by going to downtown nairobi!! that would be hilarious though!

Patsycat, yes I will try and take all necessary precautions to try and prevent my wife philandering off with the masai safari guide whilst I am there, however handsome they may be.

You are welcome Sundaypsychos. Your local medicine is OK, I thought you were taking medication from Europe/US.

It is wiser to buy your $$ in Thailand because they don't accept Baht there and many places charge 4% on top of your credit card bills. The best foreign currencies to carry are US$ and English Pounds. The best place to buy your local currencies are at the private forex bureaus mainly run by Indians. If you ever need to exchange money and the bureaus are closed, just go to any Indian shop and he will be happy to give you shillings and ask you 300 questions about your family! (the practise of not obtaining a receipt for the currency transaction is technically illegal but Kenyans need tourist dollars and will not harass a tourist ).

If you need cheaper Safari, fly to Nairobi and buy your package locally. You will save at least 30%.

Happy Hunting.

Max W