Bitter Thai Red Shirts Promise Further Rallies In North

webfact

"We took to the streets to demonstrate our frustration with rising costs of rice, oil and medical charges," said Saisunee.

"The elites are enjoying while the poor are suffering," she added.

There is the real problem that Abhisit needs to address. Instead of buying a Zeppelin Airship for the Army, or bomb detectors that don't work, or talk about purchasing a useless Submarine, make life for the poor and less fortunate a little bit easier. Thaksin obviously noticed the problem and took advantage of it. Why can't Abhisit?

When were the GT200's bought?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We took to the streets to demonstrate our frustration with rising costs of rice, oil and medical charges," said Saisunee.

There is the real problem that Abhisit needs to address. Instead of buying a Zeppelin Airship for the Army, or bomb detectors that don't work, or talk about purchasing a useless Submarine, make life for the poor and less fortunate a little bit easier. Thaksin obviously noticed the problem and took advantage of it. Why can't Abhisit?

When were the GT200's bought?

As far back as 2004, but the Thai Army requested more of them just recently even after it was proven they didn't work. Obviously, as we've seen from the problems now, money would be better spent elsewhere than on even more useless bomb detectors.

She has proven that poverty in Thailand really got to do with the way some Thais think rather than alleged aristocratic system and widespread corruption only.

Why don't she, Red sympathizers, and leftists ever take a look at ethnic Chinese and Sikh minorities as to why their living standards are way better than most Thais? Chinese and Indians immigrated to this country without a penny or knowledge about spoken Thai and started out negative while at least Thais had got fertile land to begin with.

I am afraid schooling/education is not all the solution to Thailand problems. It's the Thai mentality in which Thais as serfs (Phrai) seek patronage from someone powerful (Ammart). They are not emancipating but enslaving themselves. Then blame their self-made ordeal on others.

:) 80% agree

Yes, but even those rural folks in Bangkok are Reds. Communism seems like a great idea to them.
Nice to know this woman is happy that poor people in Bangkok (many of whom actually come from the same kind of background as her) have lost their jobs thanks to all the burning she is happy about. Seems nobody is picking up on all the poor that are suffering because of the red arson and violence. There is a big irony in that albeit a sad one. Bnagkok is not full; of only rich people and it is the poor who are suffering most from the attacks through lost work.

all most of them want is an election,but this goverment wouldnt wont this because they no they will loose

Yes, but even those rural folks in Bangkok are Reds. Communism seems like a great idea to them.
Nice to know this woman is happy that poor people in Bangkok (many of whom actually come from the same kind of background as her) have lost their jobs thanks to all the burning she is happy about. Seems nobody is picking up on all the poor that are suffering because of the red arson and violence. There is a big irony in that albeit a sad one. Bnagkok is not full; of only rich people and it is the poor who are suffering most from the attacks through lost work.

all most of them want is an election,but this goverment wouldnt wont this because they no they will loose

or maybe because it isn't scheduled yet.

Ofcourse, the PPP/PTP had a chance to call elections before they lost power. Maybe they were scared, given their performance in by-elections.

Another bad title says shirts should just be shirt as far as I can see there was only one person interviewed.??

"Quote:

Sitting by a coffee house in Chiang Mai, Thaksin's birthplace and a popular northern tourist city, Parichart and her friend Saisunee Assawasunthornkul, a 48-year-old fruit juice peddler, explained what they were fighting for."

1. Panchart

2. Saisunee

Get the picture?

Welcome to Thaivisa sapan,

The Reds, as everyone on this board is probably aware, were offered elections on Nov 14 after dissolution 45 to 60 days prior.

Their paymaster general denied them this opportunity. Then the excrement hit the ventilator. :)

I am sorry to say I agree with the woman from Chiang Mai, the Abhisit government is not legitimate, it rorted the normal electoral process.

It is also cynical, shameless and unprincipled. I believe Abhisit's objective is simply to hold on to power and he doesn't much mind at what cost.

Flowerpot or maybe full of pot? you talk the biggest load of sh1t!

Edited by carbine1125

I am sorry to say I agree with the woman from Chiang Mai, the Abhisit government is not legitimate, it rorted the normal electoral process.

It is also cynical, shameless and unprincipled. I believe Abhisit's objective is simply to hold on to power and he doesn't much mind at what cost.

You are a newbie on TV maybe that's why you didn't read the hundreds of topics were they explaine that the present government is 100 % legit . This in accordance with all the rules of democracy as they are implemented in any democratic country.

I value your contributions but would you please stop the hoax that this government os not democratic elected and have an democratic majority in the parlilament.

Good job Parichart - next time take responsibility for your misguided actions and stop complaining as you and your fellow buffaloes have made hundreds homeless through your stupidity and actions. Som Num Na

Thinking about it - I wish I was your landlord as I would have burnt your belongings!!! Touch of retaliation.

Edited by asiawatcher

Normally... A country that develops from poor to rich, have to do the hard years for a couple of generations. Most of the western ones did have equal struggle for the poor during the industrialization. What happens is that the struggle from the past generations lays a platform for the coming generations to stand upon and develop even further from there. The average level of wages and living standard will slowly progress as time and generations goes by. The increasing value of the industrial, technological and intellectual assets will make every coming generation more prosperous than the one before. For myself, I was raised in a lower middle class home, tendencies more towards the poorer since I couldn't have all the stuff or do all the holiday travels that my fellow classmates could. But compared the the life a family in equal situation for 100 years ago, I was having a real good life. Today a low income family in the west, do have a living standard comparable to a king a couple of hundred years back.

But I see a problem with Thailand and the Thai society. The problem is greed and corruption. No matter how you got it or what person you are... You have to wear gold chains around your neck, in order to be respected. This goes among the rich as well as among the poor. Everyone who, for example, had built a house here in Thailand, knows that if you are really nice and friendly to the workers... They will lose respect on you and cheat with their duties and quality. They are no longer "afraid" of you. I've been there - done that.

I also see how many of the school kids are cheating during tests and essays. Their idea is to get the highest possible score with the lowest effort of studies. In other words... They want have the highest benefits by cheating their ass around. The problem is that this is a vein in this society. If you're cheating a lot and successfully get away with it, then you're great. Mother and father can be proud.

My wife had a new female employee in her shop. She showed her scores from school, which looked real good. She was offered a trial employment for one month. It would show that she was a real disaster. She had ensured us that she were excellent at working with Microsoft Office. But the truth was she could hardly use it. Even my wife were better at Word, even though she only learned from trying and testing on her own. The employee requested a somewhat high salary, referencing her education. She was told back that she couldn't have that salary since she wasn't any good on what she claimed were educated in. It didn't matter what my wife told her. She still claimed that she got a score from the school, telling that she were well educated. In other words... She have been cheated her way through school and then wanted a salary that were in pair with that paper, not with her actual skills. And this is very common.

So where's the problem then? The problem is that this society is building the foundation for their industrial, technological and intellectual assets upon cheating and corruption. The content will only be empty air. If tourists one day stop visiting this country, everything will fall apart. Because the platform that is built upon corruption and cheating, is almost only glued together with the money from the tourist industry. It would be like removing the oil from Saudi Arabia. The platform would crack.

I don't have a clue on how this country could get rid of corruption and cheating and start building a society based upon real efforts, where even the parents teach their kids that it is bad to lie and cheat and the only way to success is education without cheating. That's the only way to build the future for themselves and coming generations. And of course... This country needs more honest politicians, who doesn't become what they are just because they see all possibilities to get rich upon corruption. But how to change all that in this country, I have noo idea. Corruption and cheating is so well cemented in this society, among both rich and poor, that it would probably take many generations to change that. Kids tends to become what their parents were. In one way or another.

She just sounds bitter. So what does she want? Communism? Money? Once she's rich does she fall into the category of people she hates? She blames her own incompetence and stupidity on people who had nothing to do with it. She can swim in her pool of schadenfreude all she wants, for all I care. An attitude like hers in no way helps this country move forward. In fact, it's probably the most counterproductive way to think.

Agreed, dttk0009. Tough <deleted> about the house, it happens to all, when rent is not paid. Her fault. Maybe she can go back into the hole in the ground where she came from.

No this government was installed by the Elite and the Military who bought forty Phuea Thai MPs known as the Friends of Newin (Newin Chidbob). Still the Democrats are back in Court on Thursday so he might be uninstalled though with the double standards he might get off - if that happens be prepared for even bigger trouble.

How much were Newin's group paid to support Thaksin's puppet parties in the first place?

Not sure, but it is reported that on the day they were confined to a hotel without any contact with the outside world, they were paid 40 million baht each to vote Abhisit in the next day. Legal????

http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?...05&catid=01 if you can read Thai.

If you do, you might also like to translate some of this about what an honourable guy Newin is.

http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?...05&catid=01

Otherwise, put your head in the sand and go back to sleep before your outrage at the peasants' unjustified anger gives you a heart attack.

Oh, and Suthep is... dam_n, why bother...

It is not a problem of loosing or not, it is more about the stability of Thailand.

Thailand is surrounded by a lot of unstable countries.

As of today, this red shirt mess demonstrated that Thailand is NOT READY for democracy.

You cannot apply western legitimate feelings to an Eastern country. It won't work and would end up in a civil war.

Normally... A country that develops from poor to rich, have to do the hard years for a couple of generations. Most of the western ones did have equal struggle for the poor during the industrialization. What happens is that the struggle from the past generations lays a platform for the coming generations to stand upon and develop even further from there. The average level of wages and living standard will slowly progress as time and generations goes by. The increasing value of the industrial, technological and intellectual assets will make every coming generation more prosperous than the one before. For myself, I was raised in a lower middle class home, tendencies more towards the poorer since I couldn't have all the stuff or do all the holiday travels that my fellow classmates could. But compared the the life a family in equal situation for 100 years ago, I was having a real good life. Today a low income family in the west, do have a living standard comparable to a king a couple of hundred years back.

But I see a problem with Thailand and the Thai society. The problem is greed and corruption. No matter how you got it or what person you are... You have to wear gold chains around your neck, in order to be respected. This goes among the rich as well as among the poor. Everyone who, for example, had built a house here in Thailand, knows that if you are really nice and friendly to the workers... They will lose respect on you and cheat with their duties and quality. They are no longer "afraid" of you. I've been there - done that.

I also see how many of the school kids are cheating during tests and essays. Their idea is to get the highest possible score with the lowest effort of studies. In other words... They want have the highest benefits by cheating their ass around. The problem is that this is a vein in this society. If you're cheating a lot and successfully get away with it, then you're great. Mother and father can be proud.

My wife had a new female employee in her shop. She showed her scores from school, which looked real good. She was offered a trial employment for one month. It would show that she was a real disaster. She had ensured us that she were excellent at working with Microsoft Office. But the truth was she could hardly use it. Even my wife were better at Word, even though she only learned from trying and testing on her own. The employee requested a somewhat high salary, referencing her education. She was told back that she couldn't have that salary since she wasn't any good on what she claimed were educated in. It didn't matter what my wife told her. She still claimed that she got a score from the school, telling that she were well educated. In other words... She have been cheated her way through school and then wanted a salary that were in pair with that paper, not with her actual skills. And this is very common.

So where's the problem then? The problem is that this society is building the foundation for their industrial, technological and intellectual assets upon cheating and corruption. The content will only be empty air. If tourists one day stop visiting this country, everything will fall apart. Because the platform that is built upon corruption and cheating, is almost only glued together with the money from the tourist industry. It would be like removing the oil from Saudi Arabia. The platform would crack.

I don't have a clue on how this country could get rid of corruption and cheating and start building a society based upon real efforts, where even the parents teach their kids that it is bad to lie and cheat and the only way to success is education without cheating. That's the only way to build the future for themselves and coming generations. And of course... This country needs more honest politicians, who doesn't become what they are just because they see all possibilities to get rich upon corruption. But how to change all that in this country, I have noo idea. Corruption and cheating is so well cemented in this society, among both rich and poor, that it would probably take many generations to change that. Kids tends to become what their parents were. In one way or another.

Excellent post.

Just start to overcome greed and corruption, provide decent healthcare and a broad-based education, and you are on the road to development for this country.

The problem is that it is too easy to cheat, lie, bunk off school and generally idle away your life. Incentive or self-motivation is required.

Just shows the real problem. She is uneducated. The only way to fix this nation is by affordable health care and affordable education. This is the only way to stop the cycle of poverty.

This country already has both affordable health care and affordable education. So what is the problem then in your opinion?

It is not a problem of loosing or not, it is more about the stability of Thailand.

Thailand is surrounded by a lot of unstable countries.

As of today, this red shirt mess demonstrated that Thailand is NOT READY for democracy.

You cannot apply western legitimate feelings to an Eastern country. It won't work and would end up in a civil war.

Quote from above "all they want is an election".

Suggest you do some much deeper longer-term research and analysis, you might just want to change your comment. I certainly hope so!

What's worrying is the amount of randoms on various blogs claiming guerilla warfare is "the only way" to succeed against the "military elitist government", in a style of posting that looks like English is the first language of the author...

Saisunee meanwhile helped prepare food for the Red Shirts, and she said she sold her motorcycle, television set and a sewing machine to raise the money she needed to afford travel to the capital.

All that for a 600-baht bus ticket?? :D

Brainwashed - she probably believed she hadto help and rescuer "her"country....! :)

It's really a problem for all you people who insisted the Reds were only in it for the payment, overwhelmingly and comprehensively shown to be proven wrong.Now it's "brainwashing" to account for people who were prepared to die for what they believed.Actually that explanation's a lot more plausible and one I partly agree with.

Who was really prepared to die?

Just shows the real problem. She is uneducated. The only way to fix this nation is by affordable health care and affordable education. This is the only way to stop the cycle of poverty.

This country already has both affordable health care and affordable education. So what is the problem then in your opinion?

The healthcare is 'passable' at the 'free' level (much better if you pay for it. Oh!, similar to most Western countries).

Are you saying that the affordable education is effective ?

I would suggest otherwise.

"she sold her bike, tv set, sewing machine" to buy a hard-seat train ticket?? give me a break.

Just one of many reasons why this story is obviously fake. Unlike most here I don't think the woman being interviewed was uneducated. On the contrary, she is engaging in deliberate misinformation by spouting the exact kind of lies needed as part of Thaksin's post riot propaganda war. Anyone in Thailand would know the idea of someone being forced to sell all their possessions for a ticket to Bangkok to attend the protest is ridiculous, but people overseas do not know this. That is who she is addressing in her interview, not Thais or expats in Thailand.

Cant see how the proceeeds of the sale of a bike, TV set and sewing machine would only give you enough for a third class seat form CM to BKK.

I thought the Reds were giving free rides to the protesters from the provinces ? I know they were in Isaan.

The rallies were going on way back in February in these places. The people from these villages and towns were easily indoctrinated at these rallies before they came to BKK. My friend from Isaan was shocked to hear such lies given to the people in his Isaan village during Songkran holiday. He said he never had heard such propaganda in his life . When I saw these Red leaders speak to the mob of spectators in BKK, it reminded me of the hometown evangelist that preys on the poor in America. And when you stay in the camp for one, two, or three months...you are bound to be a bit brainwashed. Remember Jonestown?

Edited by toenail

Affordable health care???

This government must be dreaming that they will get the situation in hand. They have staged a military coup and asked their corrupted friends in court to send two governments home on very flimsy grounds. We can be pretty sure that if the DP will not be banned anger will spiral out of control.

It has to said many times.

The reds have no economic programme whatsoever.

Land reform, education, economic developments.

Nothing.

It is quite deliberate.

For Thaksin having no economic demands means that his regional base is not threatened by competing economic interests.

Secondly, he has promised them that if they return him to power, he will be free to distribute largesse to them.

So, he gets the support he pays for.

The other class avenues are shut off.

(notwithstanding the class war bullshit).

Bangkok is turned into the enemy as a blockage to the Thaksin power claim.

Thaksin set out to weaken the state forces against him into capitulation.

But now they are stronger and more confident.

The red supporters may be pawns in Thaksin's game and they may be bitter.

But the game of going on an expedition to attack the Bangkok people is over.

Thaksin is back in his box for now.

Agreed. But doubtless he will not stay in the box for long,this is a lifetime power control game for him,and he will not give up any time soon!

This government must be dreaming that they will get the situation in hand. They have staged a military coup and asked their corrupted friends in court to send two governments home on very flimsy grounds. We can be pretty sure that if the DP will not be banned anger will spiral out of control.

Yes I did look at your join date straight after reading your post.

sure. The reds are so popular at the moment everyone is in LOVE with their crazy antics. Welcome newbie or welcome back I should say.

Let's not compare with the West and make Western judgements like "25 baht an hour is terrible...".

I pay 120 Baht a day + tips.

For someone who is uneducated, does not want to go to Pattaya or the local karaoke bar it is better than nothing and certainly better than sitting on your arse in the village.

It is called market rate, as is the meagre 60 Baht I can charge for a delicious khao pad goong.

Isn't the lowest minimum wage something like 150 bt/day? Tips do not count as part of the minimum wage salary. Are you a criminal or are there different laws regarding positions which have tips? In any case 120 bt/day sounds like robbery to me. You should consider bumping up to 200/day at least.

"Thaksin obviously noticed the problem and took advantage of it" He sure did.

As far back as 2004, but the Thai Army requested more of them just recently even after it was proven they didn't work. Obviously, as we've seen from the problems now, money would be better spent elsewhere than on even more useless bomb detectors.

Really? Do you have a link on that?

You are a newbie on TV maybe that's why you didn't read the hundreds of topics were they explaine that the present government is 100 % legit . This in accordance with all the rules of democracy as they are implemented in any democratic country.

I value your contributions but would you please stop the hoax that this government os not democratic elected and have an democratic majority in the parlilament.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair