Android Froyo

Ok so I'm dribbling over this. The forthcoming update of Android (2.2, with the unfortunate name 'Froyo'), lets you turn your phone into a WIFI access point so you can connect your laptop(s) or whatever. The update has started appearing on some reviewer units of the Nexus One, hopefully we won't have to wait to long.

It would be much cooler if we had 3G, but you know how that is.

The official Froyo update from HTC has been announced for 2H10, i.e. anytime from July-December. Still plenty of time. Though cool, I don't see why it is that much cooler than just plugging the phone in with the USB cable or Bluetooth for internet access - particularly as you said, no 3G in sight yet.

Edited by Phil Conners

The big thing about Froyo, is the ability to natively save apps to the SD card Oh and flash 10.1, which judging from the videos I have seen on engadget looks to be running as good as it does on most PC's

Oh and unconfirmed sources point to an even earlier release of 23rd June http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=686994

Edited by quiksilva

I'm running the early release, and it's missing the apps2SD function.

The voice dialling has been less than fantastic the few times I tired, but then again they dont have an ENglish (Ireland) option so it might just be the accent :)

Phone is running seriously faster though that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I just froyo'd my Nexus One last night trying to solve a connectivity issue that transpired to be in my wireless router! The N1 was the only machine that was having connectivity issues via wifi (finding the network OK but not connecting to internet) so I read in a forum that a o/s upgrade solved a problem for another user.

Anyway, it's much faster, especially with GPRS/EDGE data. When the GPS is on, there's no icon in the top taskbar which is strange as how does one know when it's been left on and draining the battery? The widgets available don't seem to do much more than take you to the place where you turn them on/off as they say GPS is controlled by native programs and not a user turn-on/off anymore.

Didn't see any FM Radio and haven't checked if save to SD is enabled; haven't seen it as an option when downloading apps. Need to check out that wifi hotspot though since my router appears to have issues.

I just froyo'd my Nexus One last night trying to solve a connectivity issue that transpired to be in my wireless router! The N1 was the only machine that was having connectivity issues via wifi (finding the network OK but not connecting to internet) so I read in a forum that a o/s upgrade solved a problem for another user.

Anyway, it's much faster, especially with GPRS/EDGE data. When the GPS is on, there's no icon in the top taskbar which is strange as how does one know when it's been left on and draining the battery? The widgets available don't seem to do much more than take you to the place where you turn them on/off as they say GPS is controlled by native programs and not a user turn-on/off anymore.

Didn't see any FM Radio and haven't checked if save to SD is enabled; haven't seen it as an option when downloading apps. Need to check out that wifi hotspot though since my router appears to have issues.

I thing you need to go into settings-applications and from there choose "move to SD".

Let us know if that's how it's done...

Phazey - Eh? Do what? Froyo on iPhone? Methinks you jest.

Methinks you need to do some web research.

Android has been on Iphone 2g's for 2 months or so. i checked the iDroid project today to find Froyo ported.

I've had Android 1.6 running on my Iphone since the day after it was released. I installed Froyo 2.2 today.

Links:

Android 1.6 Android ported to iPhone? -- Engadget

Android 2.2 Yep, the iPhone runs Android 2.2, too -- Engadget

Project Wiki/Forum iDroidWiki

Here's a pic of it booted up. post-4252-053163200 1276674782_thumb.jpg

Edited by phazey

How cool. I'm tempted to buy an old second hand Iphone 2G just for the fun of installing Froyo on it. What's the going price for second hand 2G's?

Edit: Ah it comes with a PS...

P.S. Of course, "runs" isn't exactly the same as "runs well." The iPhone in the video apparently got noticeably hot after five minutes of use, and there's some issues with Android not recognizing little things like WiFi or the phone's GPU.

Edited by Phil Conners

How cool. I'm tempted to buy an old second hand Iphone 2G just for the fun of installing Froyo on it. What's the going price for second hand 2G's?

Edit: Ah it comes with a PS...

P.S. Of course, "runs" isn't exactly the same as "runs well." The iPhone in the video apparently got noticeably hot after five minutes of use, and there's some issues with Android not recognizing little things like WiFi or the phone's GPU.

With such a new release, sure not everything is finished :)

Saying that, i know wifi works with 1.6, and was dam_n fast (faster than my G1 phone!). So right now is not the time to invest in a device if you do not have one. I use my old hand me down 2G with broken wifi - no way would i touch my day to day 3Gs (if it was supported).

Now i've had a longer play, a few things are missing that i need to hack back in, such as SDCard space and Google-Bits.

I have a Nexus one, purchased it back in January and have enjoyed every min of it.

I got my first OTA update here in Thailand when it was still 2.1 (guess it was a 2.1.1 update)

When the first 2.2 for an un-rooted Nexus came out i followed the links downloaded the packaged and updated my phone to 2.2 that was back in may (25th according to my twitter stream)

Since then I've done one incremental patch FRF5? ->FRF72 (again downloaded the file and updated off of the SD card)

decided to by pass the update to FRF 80somthing update and yesterday i got my OTA update to 2.2 FRF91

works great, love the flash 10.1 on it. Just wish that google would hurry up and check it's own apps with the flag to install to SD card.

TIP for Flash websites.

If your device is being identified as a mobile device you can change your device's broadcast appearance

in the browser type in "about:debug" and hit go.

then go to settings -> UAString and select Desktop.

websites think you're a desktop now.

worked for streaming the daily show for me :-)

Got back from holiday to find my nexus waiting for me..

Then found out, that UK vodafone, after making a huge deal about how the nexus would be unbranded and straight from google, with all google updates.. Is a pack of lies.. They have restricted updates and are now modifying froyo for thier own ends and will push it to euro nexus owners when they have it customised.

So it was find a usb micro cable, root and update the dam_n thing manually..

Lovin it so far..