Parking Tickets On Thapae Rd

jayinoz

This thread is a good reminder of why you should go to the transport office with the seller when you purchase a used vehicle here. Citations in Thailand seem to be attached to the vehicle, not the owner, so if you buy a used vehicle you might get a surprise when you try to register or update the paperwork.

I guess the OP has now realized the errors of his ways... no more posts :)

I know some Nigerians who did this sort of thing back home, you know what happened? Same thing that will happen to you. A lot of hassle, trouble, and in the end a bigger fine. Only we're in Thailand so they'll probably let you get away with just paying the original fine.

You should consider yourself lucky you are in Thailand. I did the same thing once in San Francisco - parked in one of those areas where there's no parking during rush hour. They come with a tow truck, private company, and then you have to take a cab to the towing company, pay the fine, and the towing, at least $250. And that was 10 years ago so these days it's probably more like $350.

I got towed from a busy area in downtown Auckland about 6 years ago, tow fee $80, release fee from towyard $200, and i was only gone 20 mins!

There were tow away signs up where I parked but they were obscure and i didnt notice when i first parked, only to see them after my car was gone :D

Nothing unusual about getting a parking ticket.....nothing to do with you being a falang....just the rules.....lots of roads have parking restrictions in place especially around schools between 3pm-6pm etc.

Lucky you were not clamped. The GF got her bike clamped parking illegally, offered to pay BIB there and then....but they made her get a tut-tut to the police station, pay the fine, then back to bike and only then did BIB remove clamp....needless to say, she was not happy!

My car was clamped a couple years ago and of course I thought unjustly. The Police Officer came around on his motorcycle and after some discussion I said I would pay him the fine. He told me I had to go to the police station to pay (give him credit for not taking a bribe) and told me to get on the back of his bike and he would take me. I refused saying I didn't have a helmet. He told me it was OK. I said "No, dangerous" and again refused. In the end, he unclamped the car, took my license and told me to follow him to the station (neither of us thought of the tuk-tuk alternative fortunately).

Although it may sound like I was being an ass, in the end we were somewhat smiling at each other as we bantered back and forth. Of course, he won out at the police station as he smiled while I payed the fine. All in all, they were quite accommodating and pleasant, although I still didn't think I deserved the fine. :)

I got towed from a busy area in downtown Auckland about 6 years ago, tow fee $80, release fee from towyard $200, and i was only gone 20 mins!

There were tow away signs up where I parked but they were obscure and i didnt notice when i first parked, only to see them after my car was gone :D

Well theres you're defence in court. The signage was inadequate/obscured. Of course, they wern't really obscure, were they donny? :D

Of course I got a parking fine once, here in LOS, I was indeed parked incorrectly. After realising my error I attended the Police Station and paid the fine which amounted to just a few dollars converted into baht. It wasnt that hard. :)

I payed the fine. All in all, they were quite accommodating and pleasant, although I still didn't think I deserved the fine. :D

You have hit the nail on the head here sir, you paid the fine but despite that you didnt THINK that you DESERVED the fine. I would say that a great percentage of motorists that are fined THINK that they do NOT DESERVE the fine. :D

It goes with all the excuses people offer when being pulled over etc, "Exceed the speed limit, but I was overtaking" "Didn't stop at the sign, I think I did" "The light was orange officer" "I was only parked there for a minute"and "Why should I wear my helmet/seat belt, its my life, up to me" :):D

Edited by neverdie

I payed the fine. All in all, they were quite accommodating and pleasant, although I still didn't think I deserved the fine. :D

You have hit the nail on the head here sir, you paid the fine but despite that you didnt THINK that you DESERVED the fine. I would say that a great percentage of motorists that are fined THINK that they do NOT DESERVE the fine. :D

It goes with all the excuses people offer when being pulled over etc, "Exceed the speed limit, but I was overtaking" "Didn't stop at the sign, I think I did" "The light was orange officer" "I was only parked there for a minute"and "Why should I wear my helmet/seat belt, its my life, up to me" :D:D

Well, I didn't really tell all as I was attempting to be brief. The fact that I am a retired police officer (and can list more excuses than you, probably :D ) just added to it.

At the station I informed them that "In the U.S. police usually don't give other police fines". They smiled and said "Yes, but this is Thailand". All in all we had quite a few laughs over a couple hundred baht. :)

Well, I didn't really tell all as I was attempting to be brief. The fact that I am a retired police officer (and can list more excuses than you, probably :D ) just added to it.

What makes you think I wasnt trying to be brief?

Regarding the comment, in brackets above, I can say, I doubt you can list more, I've heard them all, it appears we are both retired from the same occupation :D:D:)

What makes you think I wasnt trying to be brief?

Regarding the comment, in brackets above, I can say, I doubt you can list more, I've heard them all, it appears we are both retired from the same occupation :D:D:D

:):D

Neverdie, if you don't mind me asking, where exactly are you? I thought you lived in Australia, but a quick search of your posts over just the last few days shows that you post on every single TV regional forum. Krabi forum, Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, etc. Are you even in Chiang Mai?

They do not hand these out just because it's the time of the month. If I were you I would be looking for the torn up pieces, as the smile will be on the other side of your face when you come to re register your vehicle next time, and you are refused registration till your fine is paid with interest. Reckon you were pretty smart eh? :) The police here may be lazy, but they are certainly not dumb!!

A quick edit. The reason the parking ticket was in Thai, is because you happen to be in Thailand, where most Thais speak Thai, and people like you are in a minority.

Ah, so they do charge for unpaid fines when u registrar then do they, I've always wondered that. Any idea how much they charge for the interest then?

(My missis has loads of unpaid fines and needs to get the bike registered.)

Neverdie, if you don't mind me asking, where exactly are you? I thought you lived in Australia, but a quick search of your posts over just the last few days shows that you post on every single TV regional forum. Krabi forum, Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, etc. Are you even in Chiang Mai?

Bangkok. I visit Krabi & Phuket often. I never go to Pattaya and havent been to Chaing Mai in recent times but have now spent a fair bit of time just near CM. Is there a rule against doing what I have done? :)

Edited by neverdie

Ah, so they do charge for unpaid fines when u registrar then do they, I've always wondered that. Any idea how much they charge for the interest then?

(My missis has loads of unpaid fines and needs to get the bike registered.)

The last one I was involved with was on a vehicle transfer, which had an oustanding fine on the vehicle which the prevoius owner paid. From memory it was only a 50 baht surcharge, but that was some years ago now.

:)

Bangkok. I visit Krabi & Phuket often. I never go to Pattaya and havent been to Chaing Mai in recent times but have now spent a fair bit of time just near CM. Is there a rule against doing what I have done? :D

If neverdie makes it back to CM for a visit. Ill be the first in line to kick his butt. :D

:)

Bangkok. I visit Krabi & Phuket often. I never go to Pattaya and havent been to Chaing Mai in recent times but have now spent a fair bit of time just near CM. Is there a rule against doing what I have done? :D

If neverdie makes it back to CM for a visit. Ill be the first in line to kick his butt. :D

I like CM, but I prefer Nan, which is just a little east of CM. Nan is much cleaner and quiter & not that different to CM. I've never had any trouble parking their either :D

I don't think he should have ripped up the fine. I think he should have taken a stick and threw it on the ground and then picked it up again and threatened to burn down and loot Airport plaza.

Another case of a Farang thinking he is above the Thai law.

:) you been watching too many Youtube vids

Well theres you're defence in court. The signage was inadequate/obscured. Of course, they wern't really obscure, were they donny? :D

Of course I got a parking fine once, here in LOS, I was indeed parked incorrectly. After realising my error I attended the Police Station and paid the fine which amounted to just a few dollars converted into baht. It wasnt that hard. :)

ok i was drunk when i parked it officer :D

-snip-Never seen anyone get a ticket, everyone triple parks all over the place and they want me to go down to police station to pay a fine. Surely Thai's would mostly take no notice- what would they fine a Thai- 50bt. Unheard of... -snip-

When my bf parked at the right time, in the right place, but facing the traffic (instead of the other way) he got a fine. I cant recall how much, but i think it was a couple of hundred baht. I cant recall the amount as was a while back, but i do recall i was surprised at the amount. Oh, and he is Thai. ..and I wasnt with him when it happened. Of course he was annoyed. Of course he paid it.

I was fined 400 baht for this one. It doesn't seem to apply to parking in sois though, or maybe it does but it's not enforced. It actually makes sense if you think about it. The driver is positioned on the right side of the car and moves left in to oncoming traffic. This is potentially quite a dangerous maneuver.

What made my fine a completely uniquely Thai experience was that after the policemen issued me the ticket, he rode off on the wrong side of the road in to the flow of traffic. This still makes me laugh and the story has bored many a drinking companion over the years.

The traffic police can make up whatever they wish--- now my ticket was whilst I was renting the car. Yet I later bought the car and now own it... :D

Do we actually think that the police can be bothered going after the previous owner then to be told they rented it privately. The private renter then bought it... So they need to pay the fine. :)

I told the previous owner of the car and he told me 'Mai Pen Rai' they will do nothing. They will not hunt hi down and IF they do then he calls his friend in the DMV to cancel the ticket----- problem solved. :D

Still especially on Thapea Rd they should write in ENGLISH as well as Thai--- as it is a Tourist area... As opposed to the many who called me an arrogant Farnag- u are so much better... I will not get into a pissing contest but I played the game in Thai for over a decade. :D

All us Farangs whom been here more than a year think we know it all... we know nothing for many decades... Chok Dee to all who try- I am not better or an arrogant Farang (Well sometimes Arrogant). But who is not when u worship far more than u will ever be in ur own country. Many of us are nothing in ur home land yet feel we something here...

We are all Arrogant- do not think u are better than the rest.

The traffic police can make up whatever they wish--- now my ticket was whilst I was renting the car. Yet I later bought the car and now own it... :D

Do we actually think that the police can be bothered going after the previous owner then to be told they rented it privately. The private renter then bought it... So they need to pay the fine. :)

I told the previous owner of the car and he told me 'Mai Pen Rai' they will do nothing. They will not hunt hi down and IF they do then he calls his friend in the DMV to cancel the ticket----- problem solved. :D

Still especially on Thapea Rd they should write in ENGLISH as well as Thai--- as it is a Tourist area... As opposed to the many who called me an arrogant Farnag- u are so much better... I will not get into a pissing contest but I played the game in Thai for over a decade. :D

All us Farangs whom been here more than a year think we know it all... we know nothing for many decades... Chok Dee to all who try- I am not better or an arrogant Farang (Well sometimes Arrogant). But who is not when u worship far more than u will ever be in ur own country. Many of us are nothing in ur home land yet feel we something here...

The jury is still out as to whether we are all arrogant, but thanks for clearing it up for you. Case closed on that one. Shall we debate Stupidity next?

I have to admit, I read the entire thread just to see if the OP chimed back in ... he did and he didn't disappoint me!

He is in Thailand ... and driving .... but blames the police that he can't read Thai? How do you follow the directions to stop or not stop on selected corners etc? I would think after 10 years and driving he have learned ......

Yeah, he cleared up the arrogance question well enough!

Time for the Denver Boot!

I don't think he should have ripped up the fine. I think he should have taken a stick and threw it on the ground and then picked it up again and threatened to burn down and loot Airport plaza.

Another case of a Farang thinking he is above the Thai law.

:) 555!

-snip-Never seen anyone get a ticket, everyone triple parks all over the place and they want me to go down to police station to pay a fine. Surely Thai's would mostly take no notice- what would they fine a Thai- 50bt. Unheard of... -snip-

When my bf parked at the right time, in the right place, but facing the traffic (instead of the other way) he got a fine. I cant recall how much, but i think it was a couple of hundred baht. I cant recall the amount as was a while back, but i do recall i was surprised at the amount. Oh, and he is Thai. ..and I wasnt with him when it happened. Of course he was annoyed. Of course he paid it.

I was fined 400 baht for this one. It doesn't seem to apply to parking in sois though, or maybe it does but it's not enforced. It actually makes sense if you think about it. The driver is positioned on the right side of the car and moves left in to oncoming traffic. This is potentially quite a dangerous maneuver.

What made my fine a completely uniquely Thai experience was that after the policemen issued me the ticket, he rode off on the wrong side of the road in to the flow of traffic. This still makes me laugh and the story has bored many a drinking companion over the years.

The traffic police can make up whatever they wish

Visit the traffic police office near Worowot Market and they'll give you an English translation of the road rules/laws

they should write in ENGLISH

Surprisingly Thai people speak Thai. If there's a second language here, it's Kam Muang, Burmese/Shan or one of the Chinese dialects such as Techeow. I sense that when you visit Benidorm, you order food by putting a vowel sound on the end of each word and shouting slowly and loudly. Anyway, why do you expect Thai people to communicate in a language you have not mastered yourself? Surely soap-opera with tattoos innit vernacular would be more suitable.

Edited by Loaded

Oh my, the OP pretty much set himself up for all of this anyway. He was just venting. I think we all get a little retarded n fed up n conspiratorial in our reasoning around here at times. But of course at those times not best to post for all to read about.

As far as speaking or reading n writing Thai, the cards are really stacked against older males. Many studies show this. Language acquisition is just that much easier for women n the youth. I don't know In-Oz's age, but I just figure. But then you think well, after ten years, maybe a few classes he could've made enough headway to read some parking signs. But then clearly he hasn't. What're you gonna do ? But funny how back in The States all the white folks are getting up in arms 'This is America, learn to speak English' to the foreigners who reside there. Then when you get some Farang folks coming to live as expats here for 5, 10, 15, 20 years, don't learn the language (not so easy when the shoe's on the other foot), and they expect the indulgences to run again in their favor, and have the parking tickets handed out in English. So hilarious. Would officers be able to tell who drove the car by the make or the dashboard decorations ? Or the housing estate sticker in the windshield ?

A brilliant man named Jello Biaffra (improved) did a cover of an old song "I fought the law, and the law won!" It's a good one to keep in mind here.