Meals On Wheels

AndersSN

Just noticed the add for Meals on Wheels here in CM. I used to use the one in BKK and it was great.

I live in Hang Dong, in a moo ban near the government office, and I have had problems ordering from the Pizza comp. etc. because the claim the won't be able to find where I live. But I do like to have food delivered, so.

Have anyone got any experience of ordering from MoW here in CM?

Is the food packaged well and still warm when you get it? Is the quality of the food as good as if they served it in their restaurant? Do they deliver within a reasonable time? And will they take your order in English?

I've used them a bunch of times for Italian, Sushi, Miguels. They take your order in English, if the phone is busy the call back comes quickly. Food arrives when they say it will. I'm about 30 minutes out of town but my burger from Miguels is still reasonably warm, and served the way it is in the restaurant. Recommended.

~

It seems unanimous. I have used them since they opened and their service is nothing less than excellent!

Not to mention, Mike is a great guy.

I am even further out off Hangdong Rd, in Ban Wang Tan and am always surprised at how quickly my orders arrive.

Edited by Dustoff

Meals on Wheels is one of the little gems of Chiang Mai. I'm so glad this thread was started so we can all heap praise upon them. Hubby still thinks I can do Indian cooking -- doesn't realize it comes courtesy of the Meals on Wheels delivery!

Here is a review of my first experience with MoW.

When I called to place my order it was Mike himself that answered the phone, and as people have mentioned he sound like a nice guy, very helpfully and professional. We got the directions sorted which took a little bit of time as nobody can find my place easily the first time.

I ordered a Bacon Cheeseburger (Australian beef) from CM Saloon and 2 Belgian Rochefort 10 beers from the mini mart (the delivery guy told me they came from Number 1 bar)

The delivery guy had to call twice for directions on his way, but rather that than him just driving around- So exactly 1 hour and 1 minute from I placed my order, it arrived.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the beers was in an ice filled bag to keep them cold and ready to drink with my meal, less pleasant was other parts of the delivery. First of I got the wrong beer I was delivered Maredsous 10, also a Belgian beer so an easy mistake no problem, but I on the bill I was charged 360 for these two beers that on the website have a unit price of 165, so an extra 30b.

My other issue was the delivery cost, when I first orders Mike told me that a delivery to Kad Farang was 120b, and that my order would be more expensive as I was further out from town, he actually called back and gave me a preliminary price of 180b, that he said could change according to the exact kilometers of the trip. Just before the delivery arrived Mike called me again to tell me that the delivery would be 200b as the delivery guy had told him it was 25 kilometers, now I know for a fact that it's nowhere that long but I didn't want to get into an argument so I excepted the price. I google mapped it this morning just to be sure and from the Saloon or Nr.1 there is 15,4 kilometers to my house, from the mote 13,3. So an extra 80b for the two 2 kilometers from Kad Farang to my house.

The total bill inc delivery and the extra 30 b (I didn't notice that till this morning) for the beer was 745 I paid the guy a 1000 and got 240 return, I am not very impressed with people who decide to tip themselves. Even if it is only 15b surely it is my decision.

So to the burger. Disappointing really, and it all started so well. When I open the burger to put om some ketchup the first hing I noticed was the amount of bacon, I love bacon and here was plenty of it, great. The second thing I noticed was that they forgot the cheese, bummer a cheese burger without cheese, ah well never mind. But eating the burger was not a delight either. The bottom part of the bun had gone all wet an soggy from the transportation (at least i hope it was :) ) and the meat itself was pretty much flavorless and not worth the eating. I ate couple of fries and left the rest, they were cold and soggy.

All in all a disappointing experience, and I had such high hopes after all the positive posts. So the question remains will I order from MoW again? Yes I probably will, and here is why. The quality off the beef and lack of cheese in the burger is not Mikes fault, is the sogginess of the fries and burger due to a long delivery time? (over an hour) I don't know but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The mix up with the beer could be between me and Mike, Mike and the delivery guy or the delivery guy and Nr.1 and I'm sure they wouldn't mix up Chang and Leo. The extra 30b for the beers I'll give Mike a call about and tell him, and that's the premier reason why I'm sure that I will order from MoW again and that is that Mike seamed like he was trying to get everything right. So I'm sure next time everything will be better.

Anders

Edited by AndersSN

Fries do not travel well. If you have a toaster oven you can try to bring them back. Otherwise if this is a big issue for you substitute salad, slaw or mashed potatoes.

I have always had good fries delivered from MOW, with the exception of The Dukes..

When I called to place my order it was Mike himself that answered the phone, and as people have mentioned he sound like a nice guy, very helpfully and professional. We got the directions sorted which took a little bit of time as nobody can find my place easily the first time.

I ordered a Bacon Cheeseburger (Australian beef) from CM Saloon and 2 Belgian Rochefort 10 beers from the mini mart (the delivery guy told me they came from Number 1 bar)

The delivery guy had to call twice for directions on his way, but rather that than him just driving around- So exactly 1 hour and 1 minute from I placed my order, it arrived.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the beers was in an ice filled bag to keep them cold and ready to drink with my meal, less pleasant was other parts of the delivery. First of I got the wrong beer I was delivered Maredsous 10, also a Belgian beer so an easy mistake no problem, but I on the bill I was charged 360 for these two beers that on the website have a unit price of 165, so an extra 30b.

My other issue was the delivery cost, when I first orders Mike told me that a delivery to Kad Farang was 120b, and that my order would be more expensive as I was further out from town, he actually called back and gave me a preliminary price of 180b, that he said could change according to the exact kilometers of the trip. Just before the delivery arrived Mike called me again to tell me that the delivery would be 200b as the delivery guy had told him it was 25 kilometers, now I know for a fact that it's nowhere that long but I didn't want to get into an argument so I excepted the price. I google mapped it this morning just to be sure and from the Saloon or Nr.1 there is 15,4 kilometers to my house, from the mote 13,3. So an extra 80b for the two 2 kilometers from Kad Farang to my house.

The total bill inc delivery and the extra 30 b (I didn't notice that till this morning) for the beer was 745 I paid the guy a 1000 and got 240 return, I am not very impressed with people who decide to tip themselves. Even if it is only 15b surely it is my decision.

So to the burger. Disappointing really, and it all started so well. When I open the burger to put om some ketchup the first hing I noticed was the amount of bacon, I love bacon and here was plenty of it, great. The second thing I noticed was that they forgot the cheese, bummer a cheese burger without cheese, ah well never mind. But eating the burger was not a delight either. The bottom part of the bun had gone all wet an soggy from the transportation (at least i hope it was :D ) and the meat itself was pretty much flavorless and not worth the eating. I ate couple of fries and left the rest, they were cold and soggy.

All in all a disappointing experience, and I had such high hopes after all the positive posts. So the question remains will I order from MoW again? Yes I probably will, and here is why. The quality off the beef and lack of cheese in the burger is not Mikes fault, is the sogginess of the fries and burger due to a long delivery time? (over an hour) I don't know but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The mix up with the beer could be between me and Mike, Mike and the delivery guy or the delivery guy and Nr.1 and I'm sure they wouldn't mix up Chang and Leo. The extra 30b for the beers I'll give Mike a call about and tell him, and that's the premier reason why I'm sure that I will order from MoW again and that is that Mike seamed like he was trying to get everything right. So I'm sure next time everything will be better.

Anders

As for hanburgers, the next time you order a hamburger, ask them to seperate the meat from the bun. Works well for me :)

So to the burger. Disappointing really, and it all started so well. When I open the burger to put om some ketchup the first hing I noticed was the amount of bacon, I love bacon and here was plenty of it, great. The second thing I noticed was that they forgot the cheese, bummer a cheese burger without cheese, ah well never mind. But eating the burger was not a delight either. The bottom part of the bun had gone all wet an soggy from the transportation (at least i hope it was :) ) and the meat itself was pretty much flavorless and not worth the eating. I ate couple of fries and left the rest, they were cold and soggy.

Anders

mike's a very reasonable guy to deal with as regards specifics of deliveries. he even gives us a call here to let us know when the delivery lad has arrived so we can let him in the gates, something that he doesn't need to do really, so it's appreciated.

also never had a spot of bother with any of the delivery drivers, they're all generally really friendly and efficient and certainly honest. sounds like you might just have had one bad first go round. sure now they know where you live etc you won't have the issues again.

I've been very impressed with MOW. They even went out of their way to locate some Beer Lao for me. And they came incredibly close to locating our house - we're very tucked away. We only had to go a few hundred meters out to the main road and flag them down. I thought the food was excellent, and the service extremely cordial. And they didn't tip themselves in my case.

I had a very nice pm from Mike, I wont go into details but he went above and beyond.

I hope that everyone understands my post the way it was meant to be written, I am not angry at all, in a way I actually think it is quite funny. Everything that could, went wrong. And if I thought it had been intentional or done with carelessness I would have made sure to write it. I probably wont order a burger from the Saloon again, mainly because the beef, in my opinion, was poor, but that's not MoW's fault.

I have in no way been discouraged from ordering from MoW again. And I am sure StevieH is right about it being easier next time.

(And stop mentioning the tipping, it was only 15b and I only mentioned it because it was part of the whole wrong thing)

Edited by AndersSN

Fries do not travel well. If you have a toaster oven you can try to bring them back. Otherwise if this is a big issue for you substitute salad, slaw or mashed potatoes.

I have always had good fries delivered from MOW, with the exception of The Dukes.

The Duke's uses real potatoes for fries and they tend to get soft because of the higher moisture content. Frozen fries are made from a different type of potato that is fluffier and can stay firmer even when cold. I happen to prefer fresh potatoes.

Fries are still not going to travel well, frozen or fresh potatoes, although frozen fries might travel better.

I have bought MOW fries from a few restaurants and found that they were not as good as eating a hot, fresh crispy fry while at the restaurant.

I both order from Mike as a customer and we deliver food from The Olde Bell via meals on wheels. a very efficent service in both cases.

Love to get a roast dinner delivered (Lamb) :)

Ha! Ha! I don't put my Sunday Lunches on The Olde Bell's Meals on Wheels menu because I usually sell out in the pub!

On another tack, when I order from Mike, I usually order Indian or Chinese as they seem to travel on the back of a motorbike better than Farang food!

Edited by millwall_fan

I've ordered twice from MOW. I agree with most of the above regarding service - excellent. And the food was hot. But, from the one restaurant that I ordered, on both occasions the quality and quantity of the food ordered was far below what I experienced when eating at the establishment. Clearly this is not attributable to MOW. It's the fault of the restaurant (which I will not be ordering from again via MOW). If anyone wants the name of the restaurant, PM me.

Edited by venturalaw

I have bought MOW fries from a few restaurants and found that they were not as good as eating a hot, fresh crispy fry while at the restaurant.

Maybe that is my problem... I can't get to any restaurant to enjoy fresh crispy fries :)

Three orders done, I recall. Ordering process extremely easy, prompt delivery. No troubles whatsoever.

Haven't tried stuff from restaurants I do not know beforehand so no surprises either.

Prefer MOW 6:0 over piz******ny (or similar), no reason to get high blood pressure just

by trying to get the order in. A delivery time guarantee is fun to play with, sure,

but it mainly works when you are able to predict heavy rain during 16-18pm high

traffic hours :)

Recommend Meals On Wheels 100%

I ordered again from MoW last night.

A Parma Ham pizza from La Fontana with a side order of garlic bread.

Whole different experience this time. The delivery time and price was more than reasonable, and the pizza....

WOW, that was the best pizza I have had in CM. The bun had the right consistency and flavor, there was plenty of topping and the cheese was delicious. It arrived at a perfect temperature and both the pizza crust and the garlic bread was still crisp. Good packeging I guess.

I am happy that I tried a second order, because this was a revelation.

Thank you MoW and La Fontana

Great service,Mike is a great and very helpful guy, goes the extra mile but not there fault that whenever i order an indian.....its always awful. Guess I just pick the wrong restaurants

You brought it up. I ordered Indian the other day with Meals on Wheels.

Who did the Indian food at the Gymkhana Club for the Sixes? It was delicious and fresh. It would be a good choice for delivery.