Easy European Countries To Get A Visa For My Thai Wife

Hi,

Me and my Thai wife will be going back to the UK in August for a 3 week holiday. We really want to stop off in a European City on the way for a shorts city break which will be our honeymoon. We would ideally like to go to Paris or Barcelona or some other big interesting capital city.

Does anyone have any experience of getting short tourist visas to these countries? I am British so no problem for me but how about my Thai wife?

She is self employed with her own business, has University Degree and can show money in the bank etc etc.

Any help or stories of experiences appreciated.

Cheers

Everydaysthesame

As she is your wife you have many options in Bangkok for a Schengen visa we recieved one back in 6 working days from the French Embassy last month.

I don't know about obtaining a Schengen visa in Bangkok, but it is surprisingly easy in the UK from the French embassy by post, and free. The EU rules gives wives of EU nationals a favourable status.

She will not be able to apply in the UK whilst there as a visitor, so should obtain the visa before leaving Thailand. She should apply to the embassy of the country you intend to visit, but it will be valid for all the Schengen states. The rules are the same wherever she applies and whichever country she applies to; as the wife of an EEA citizen the visa will be free and most of the questions on the application form and supporting evidence will not be required.

The Schengen visa is required for Each Country you wish to visit, take with you to each Embassy your holiday and flight details with passport and they will give you some forms to fill in.

Do not be angry with the spanish entry forms as they will ask you to sign a form saying your wife is not going for

the purposes of Prostitution :):D:D:D Stereotyping at its best :D

The Schengen visa is required for Each Country you wish to visit, take with you to each Embassy your holiday and flight details with passport and they will give you some forms to fill in.

Wrong.

A Schengen visa is valid for all Schengen states, no matter which country issued it. There is absolutely no need to obtain one from each country one intends to visit!

my own experience of taking my wife to France dates from 1994 and so will be of little use here though it was a Schengen visa ; I hope they are nicer to you than the French embassy was to us , it was endless red tape (we were legally married already).So as long as you get a Schengen visa you might try a more user-friendly place ( maybe they changed??)

And now I'll be slightly :)

but I'd like to say : why Paris? it is polluted and you just can't go up the Eiffel Tower because of all the Japanese tourists.

There's an international airport in Nice , with flights straight from BKK ; it's a quieter French experience; the old part of town is quaint enough. Back country is great. Spend a day in Monaco, strike it rich on the roulette. Then there are flights to Paris and fast train (not all the way but fast enough) .

Have a wonderful honeymoon anyway.

Wrong.

A Schengen visa is valid for all Schengen states, no matter which country issued it. There is absolutely no need to obtain one from each country one intends to visit!

Totally correct, with the added condition that one must enter in to schengen space via the country that issued the visa, thereafter you can travel freely to all other schengen space countries.

Personal experience.

as the wife of an EEA citizen the visa will be free
A few years back that was the case with the Dutch embassy, but has not been the case already for quite a few years now.

EEA regulations on the freedom of movement for EEA nationals and their families mean that no charge can be made for issuing a Schengen visa to the non EEA national spouse or other dependent family members of an EEA national.

However, some embassies get around this by making so-called service charges, and the Netherlands embassy says

Applications submitted at the Netherlands Visa Application Centre

In addition to the visa handling fee, a service charge of £24 (inclusive of VAT) per application will be payable for applications submitted at the Netherlands Visa Application Centre.

Whether this is within the letter of the legislation is not for me to say.