Thai Court Approves Arrest Warrant Against Thaksin On Terrorism Charge

webfact

Basically a while back the Thai government screwed up Thaksins travel by playing with his passports and issuing arrest warrants on corruption cases and making him apoltical ho potato. Thaksin eventually got Montengrin citizenship which because of certain agreements with the EU made it easier for him to travel in certain EU countries again and because the nature of the crimes was only corruption meant most countries in the EU would turn a blind eye if he stayed quietish.

The issuance of a terrorism arrest warrant is another matter which raises the stakes. Terrorism is the ultimate scary buzzword in the west. Throw in that Thailand has alwys been a player albeit a minor one in the wests war on terror. Throw in the destruction of Bangkok landmarks in a dramatic manner which few if anyone thinks wasnt associated with the reds who are connected to who? Throw in the Thai government are indicating they regard Thaksin as a not just a major criminal but a terrorist and consider what any western government would think if a country harboured those they labelled as terrorists. It makes flying under the radar and being semi-ignored on a Montenagrin passport a lot harder than when it was on some corruption charges.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a number of ways to look at this.

1) While the warrant was issued in Thailand, a lot of countries pretty much consider Thailand as not much better than some Banana Republics, and therefore not pay much attention to this warrant.

2) Even should they recognize it, that does not mean that if he were apprehended that the country which apprehended him, or even if it is Interpol, will be willing to extradite him, as many, if not most civilized countries will not extradite someone who faces a possible death sentence if returned to their country of origin which has issued the warrant.

3) While this undoubtedly place some "pressure" on him, it hardly stops him in his tracks, as there are still a whole list of countries who will still allow him to come and go freely, based on their own corruption, and his financial contributions to it.

In my opinion, bringing Thaksin back to Thailand would be a major mistake by the current government. That would put the hero of the Reds on their soil, and they would probably storm any prison or jail he was being kept in, or at least attempt to. And should he die, whether by true accident or something like a heart attack, while in custody, the entire world would be suspicious, and the Reds would truly rampage then. What we saw in BKK and the provinces with fires and arson would look like a Sunday picnic and this country would go up in flames.

To me, the best thing this government could do is make Thaksin a "non issue", stop putting him on the front page every day, and stop trying to blame everything on him. Make him a non entity that doesn't exist. They have themselves to blame, in some ways, for continuing to make him an issue. My advice to the government: "Forget about him and get on with business".

But, hey, to me that would make sense, and everyone knows that "sense" is something in seriously short supply of here.

"The arrest warrant was approved a day after Department of Special Investigations chief Tharit Pengdit testified to the court as well as showing a video clip to the court."

Just ONE clip??? There could have easily been dozens and dozens of clips, heck, it could have been a "clipfest"!!! :D

I, for one, am glad the court showed it had some balls, and wasn't a Taksin puppet.

I don't really want Taksin back in the cage, but giving him severely "clipped wings" is a great idea...!!! :)

I don't think this verdict is going to change much for him.

Oh yes it does.

Campaigning for someone convicted of corruption is one thing.

Also supporting the same person on terrorist charges will give even the forum Thaksin red apologists a few difficulties.

What about extradition treaties? He might seek asylum based on that Thailand carries out the death penalty. Guess we'll wait and see.

I think this is why he has been collecting passports from some of the finest nations on earth, Fiji, Montenegro, Nicaragua, Cambodia.

And Uganda.

I've heard he's now in the process of getting new passports from Iran and Cuba, but I can neither confirm nor deny the reports that he also wants a passport from North Korea.

1) While the warrant was issued in Thailand, a lot of countries pretty much consider Thailand as not much better than some Banana Republics, and therefore not pay much attention to this warrant.

2) Even should they recognize it, that does not mean that if he were apprehended that the country which apprehended him, or even if it is Interpol, will be willing to extradite him, as many, if not most civilized countries will not extradite someone who faces a possible death sentence if returned to their country of origin which has issued the warrant.

3) While this undoubtedly place some "pressure" on him, it hardly stops him in his tracks, as there are still a whole list of countries who will still allow him to come and go freely, based on their own corruption, and his financial contributions to it.

In my opinion, bringing Thaksin back to Thailand would be a major mistake by the current government. That would put the hero of the Reds on their soil, and they would probably storm any prison or jail he was being kept in, or at least attempt to. And should he die, whether by true accident or something like a heart attack, while in custody, the entire world would be suspicious, and the Reds would truly rampage then. What we saw in BKK and the provinces with fires and arson would look like a Sunday picnic and this country would go up in flames.

To me, the best thing this government could do is make Thaksin a "non issue", stop putting him on the front page every day, and stop trying to blame everything on him. Make him a non entity that doesn't exist. They have themselves to blame, in some ways, for continuing to make him an issue. My advice to the government: "Forget about him and get on with business".

But, hey, to me that would make sense, and everyone knows that "sense" is something in seriously short supply of here.

Interesting post. I agree and think Thailand should erase him, no more mention of him and refer to him as irrelevant. This would be the ultimate punishment for an obvious egomaniac.

Yes this will limit his movement but more importantly it should prevent redshirts from associating with him in any way as they could be charged with abetting a terrorist?

If so this will cut him off as a source as well as putting him on the run.

Interesting post. I agree and think Thailand should erase him, no more mention of him and refer to him as irrelevant. This would be the ultimate punishment for an obvious egomaniac.

Erase? Like Seh Daeng?

Why not just call the A Team.

I am not to sure that the Thai government wants him back in Thailand

Terrorist is popular word in Governments all over the world, and most would be scared to be seen as protecting one

The USA is a milatry player with Thailand and has bases her so will not want anything to spoil relations with Thailand

There is an old saying

where there is smoke there may be fire

If the USA backs the government play, Thaskin is in real problem

And Uganda.

I've heard he's now in the process of getting new passports from Iran and Cuba, but I can neither confirm nor deny the reports that he also wants a passport from North Korea.

Spooky. :D

yes it is!

will he then persuade the North Koreans to send a nuclear missile this - way?

Considering that the Army is pretty keen here on getting nuclear too - even it's only about a reactor... :)

Why isn't his wife being brought up on terror charges?

She was withdrawing money from banks and funding this rally.

Anyone funding it should go down.

These are early times

Give them time, many are going to fall

when the investigations are finished

He did say he'd be back in Thailand before the end of the year...

actually, in his "red TV" video, he said he'll go leading the way into Bangkok with the red shirts (that would've meant this past March.) Yet he wasn't there. Yet another lie from the coward. Can't believe his herd of buffaloes even believe the hotheaded nonsense he spews.

Thank you----finally an intelligent post. The rancor and hate dumped on this man does not help the situation now. There is enough blame to go around on both sides, starting the with a military coup. If there was a military coups in the USA or England or France-What do you think the reaction would be by the general populations--Flowers in the barrels of Guns. I do not think so. One mistake has lead to many-now is the time to find real solutions.

Basically a while back the Thai government screwed up Thaksins travel by playing with his passports and issuing arrest warrants on corruption cases and making him apoltical ho potato. Thaksin eventually got Montengrin citizenship which because of certain agreements with the EU made it easier for him to travel in certain EU countries again and because the nature of the crimes was only corruption meant most countries in the EU would turn a blind eye if he stayed quietish.

The issuance of a terrorism arrest warrant is another matter which raises the stakes. Terrorism is the ultimate scary buzzword in the west. Throw in that Thailand has alwys been a player albeit a minor one in the wests war on terror. Throw in the destruction of Bangkok landmarks in a dramatic manner which few if anyone thinks wasnt associated with the reds who are connected to who? Throw in the Thai government are indicating they regard Thaksin as a not just a major criminal but a terrorist and consider what any western government would think if a country harboured those they labelled as terrorists. It makes flying under the radar and being semi-ignored on a Montenagrin passport a lot harder than when it was on some corruption charges.

It will be interesting to see if the charges are honoured by the international community. Having Kasit presenting the case doesn't help with its objectivity. Maybe time for a change at the foreign ministry.

a lot of countries pretty much consider Thailand as not much better than some Banana Republics""

What countries? please be specific.

Terrorism warrant on Thaksin help extradition effort : PM

By The Nation

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Tuesday the court's approval of an arrest warrant for fugitive ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra will help the government extradite him to face terrorism charges.

The warrant will reduce the difficulties and make it clearer when contacting other foreign countries where Thaksin visited, Abhisit told reporters.

The Criminal Court on Tuesday issued an arrest warrant on terrorism charge for fugitive ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

The ruling came after the court delayed the decision last week.

The court initially approved a special investigation request to issue ten arrest warrants for terrorist suspects, including Thaksin.

But two hours later, the court revoked its decision on Thaksin and asked the Department of Special Investigation to send back Thaksin's case for the court to reconsider.

The DSI sought and received the latest batch of nine warrants on the nine suspects involved in violating the emergency rule.

The nine suspects are Adisorn Piengket, Wiphuthalaeng Phattanaphuthai, Payap Panket, Jeng Dokjik, Wichien Khaokham, Aree Krainara, Suksek Pholsue, Surachai Thewarat and Rachot "Kob" Wongyod.

Wiphuthaleng, Payap and Jeng were already in the police's custody and being held at the Border Patrol Police, known as Naresuan Camp, in Cha-am, Phetchaburi. The three surrendered to police in the afternoon at the end of the Rajprasong rally.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

And Uganda.

Spooky. :D

yes it is!

will he then persuade the North Koreans to send a nuclear missile this - way?

Considering that the Army is pretty keen here on getting nuclear too - even it's only about a reactor... :)

actually I was referring to the poster's inside knowledge. :D

How wrong you are , He is on terrorism charges I would say he will be arrested in days not months.

I hope you are right but the arrest warant isn't issued by an international court is it?

Don't you think the international community has to recognize the arrest warrant first?

I really don't know how long that would take but now all countries will be aware of his charges and I would think none of them would want to have him on their soil now.

Sorry, the warrant is only written in Thai, not English, nor French, nor Montenegrin.

It only requires and officially authorized translation.

And please list which countries, besides Cambodia, have stated,

for the record, they don not recognize Abhisit as legal PM of Thailand.

And as if the nternational community will take notice of some kangaroo court from a 3rd world banana republic… just more hot air and BS as usual. :)

How wrong you are , He is on terrorism charges I would say he will be arrested in days not months.

I hope you are right but the arrest warant isn't issued by an international court is it?

Don't you think the international community has to recognize the arrest warrant first?

I really don't know how long that would take but now all countries will be aware of his charges and I would think none of them would want to have him on their soil now.

Sorry, the warrant is only written in Thai, not English, nor French, nor Montenegrin.

Name one country or journalist with links that has called Frank Sinatra or the reds terrorists! They are a rabble run by a criminal, but terrorist is the wrong terminology. Once you call someone that, there is no recourse and u start to look very stupid when nobody (apart from the imbeciles on here) calls them that

It only requires and officially authorized translation.

please list the countries that have Thaksin as a known 'terrorist'. With links and substantiated proof! Not, just the Nation or Bangkok Post

It will be interesting to see if the charges are honoured by the international community. Having Kasit presenting the case doesn't help with its objectivity. Maybe time for a change at the foreign ministry.

Im not convinced anyone is worried about charges being honoured. If it came ot a question of that it would be decdied by a local court and no doubt be appealed right to the top level by both sides which would be very time consuming and so probably best avoided by Thaksin which I would guess is one aim of this ie have him think I better avoid the countries with extradition treaties that would use due process ( Cambodia may remain safe on this one as they skipped due process). However, I would guess the main aim is to create a diplomatic hot potato again who most countries especially western ones would rather not have on their soil.

There is also a darker issue that Thailand knows that the last thing the west wants is any precedent of a friendly allied state providing harbour to someone another freindly allied state has labelled a terrorist, which brings us back to hot potatoes.

What about Thaksin's city planning with the Wahabis in Saudi Arabia? I think that was meant for Bangkok. :)

Yesterday at 22:15 when I was on my way home I saw something very strange and for a moment I thought I'm in Afghanistan, Iraq or something the like.

Opposite the main entrance at the back of Ramkhamhaeng Univeristy there where all the mtorcycle taxis wait, was one fully bearded guy - obviously a Wahabi in an orange jacket (motorcycle taxi jacket), he didn't look like Thai. When I was coming out the soi opposite the entrance I turned right, I saw him getting off his bike and at the very moment, just before I was passing him, he pulled a sharp polished knife (about 12 cm blade) from his waist and charged towards another motorcycle driver who was walking backwards. Quite a few people around, but all very calm. He than put the knife back and got on his bike and drove away. Another guy who witnessed that sped into the other direction, but nobody was following him.

Some of the vendors around were quite surprised about this, so was I.

please list the countries that have Thaksin as a known 'terrorist'. With links and substantiated proof! Not, just the Nation or Bangkok Post

Once again,

Interpol does not arrest anyone. They are not a law enforcement agency, but an organization which distributes information pertaining to wanted felons.. ONLY.

From their website...

"INTERPOL’s activities in relation to international fugitives have been part of its core business since the organization’s creation. INTERPOL circulates internationally, at the request of member countries, electronic diffusions and notices containing identification details and judicial information about wanted criminals.

The INTERPOL Red Notice has been recognised in a number of countries as having the legal value to serve as a basis for provisional arrest. The persons concerned are wanted by national jurisdictions or International Criminal Tribunals, where appropriate, and the Red Notice is intended to help police identify or locate these individuals with a view to their arrest and extradition.

INTERPOL created the Fugitive Investigative Service to offer more proactive and systematic assistance to member countries by:

• providing investigative support to member countries in ongoing international fugitive investigations with a view to locating and arresting wanted persons;
  • co-ordinating and enhancing international co-operation in the field of fugitive investigations;
  • collecting and disseminating best practice and expert knowledge;
  • conducting and co-ordinating relevant research and serve as a global point of reference for fugitive-related information. "

A couple of terrorists

thaksinsehdaeng.jpg

One down one to go!

They should let Col. Romklao's regiment have him for a little fun and M-79 DANCE!

Supporting and endorsing assassinations is allowed now under ThaiVisa forum rules?