What Do Dogs Know?

Ulysses G.

Apparently dog's sharp sense of smell can pick up on people who have eaten dog meat. I saw a couple of dogs go ballistic at this guy in Philippines and the other locals said it's because he eats dog and they can smell it. Also my Korean diving instructor said the same thing.

I'm not saying this is why they are barking at your customers but it's probably some scent coming from them, especially that dirty hippy. :)

What a coincidence... I lived in the Philippines for 12 years. I was living in Manila at the time and used to go across the street and BS with a local mechanic some evenings. He had several "Junkyard Dogs". They were tethered very short and generally just layed there very quiet. One night a gentleman and his young son walked by. The dogs came unglued and were trying to break there chains to get at this guy. When I asked the owner he nonchalantly replied that the guy walking past was the local dog butcher. I will never forget this little moment.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superstitious Thais believe that Dogs can see Ghosts at night and that is why they bark when it is dark...they are barking at Ghosts!

Humans cant see them of coarse.

Perhaps the Thais are right and not just at night -

When I came out to Chiang Mai, several years ago, I brought out the family dog - a blue mearle, type of border collie. She is a great traveller and loves to ride in the back of the pick-up. When ever I drive up ThaPae Road towards the klong - there is something that she senses, in that area, that makes her very distressed. She doesn't bark - she howls.

Anywhere else - no problem.

Superstitious Thais believe that Dogs can see Ghosts at night and that is why they bark when it is dark...they are barking at Ghosts!

Humans cant see them of coarse.

Perhaps the Thais are right and not just at night -

When I came out to Chiang Mai, several years ago, I brought out the family dog - a blue mearle, type of border collie. She is a great traveller and loves to ride in the back of the pick-up. When ever I drive up ThaPae Road towards the klong - there is something that she senses, in that area, that makes her very distressed. She doesn't bark - she howls.

Anywhere else - no problem.

She probably senses the wierd dog that hangs out at Gecko Books.

Thai Dogs don't like uniforms or suits and ties.

They must hate you then james :)

and love

Me

One of my dogs just knows who is scared of him and he loves to follow them in a non threatening way. But whenever i see it i get him in i don't like it if he scares people. The female dog never goes after people but goes after cats, rats, bugs, and monitor lizards. She also jumps in some dirty water once in a while and then i have to clean her

The two dogs also seem to be constantly fighting over dominance, so far the female (mother) seems to win.

and love

Me

One of my dogs just knows who is scared of him and he loves to follow them in a non threatening way. But whenever i see it i get him in i don't like it if he scares people. The female dog never goes after people but goes after cats, rats, bugs, and monitor lizards. She also jumps in some dirty water once in a while and then i have to clean her

The two dogs also seem to be constantly fighting over dominance, so far the female (mother) seems to win.

Yea Rob, they hate me, and Jack apparently...

post-22903-1274850713_thumb.jpg

and love

Me

Yea Rob, they hate me, and Jack apparently...

Is that from the movie wolf ?

And i thought you were a suit kind of guy ?

Apparently dog's sharp sense of smell can pick up on people who have eaten dog meat. I saw a couple of dogs go ballistic at this guy in Philippines and the other locals said it's because he eats dog and they can smell it. Also my Korean diving instructor said the same thing.

I'm not saying this is why they are barking at your customers but it's probably some scent coming from them, especially that dirty hippy. :)

What a coincidence... I lived in the Philippines for 12 years. I was living in Manila at the time and used to go across the street and BS with a local mechanic some evenings. He had several "Junkyard Dogs". They were tethered very short and generally just layed there very quiet. One night a gentleman and his young son walked by. The dogs came unglued and were trying to break there chains to get at this guy. When I asked the owner he nonchalantly replied that the guy walking past was the local dog butcher. I will never forget this little moment.

Agree with both posts. In my Mother In Laws village there's a guy that regulary eats dog meat and the local dogs go crazy when he walks up the street

I have always wondered why a male dog will piss on a certain individual's leg after walking past a dozen other people. The little dogs that hump someones shoe also bring a question or two to mind also. Other than that dogs are my favorite pets, next to the wife, of course.

Dogs love stinky cheesy armpit odor of European elderly women. That's why the dogs in my neighborhood always

are licking feet of 80-year-old Caucasian woman.

Ah.. I sense a new business opportunity for Thailand!!

Dog Spa!!!!!!!! :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I had a dog , it used to lay on a mat near the door, One day my friend came round and walked in, My dog was licking his balls, my friends said to me "I wish i could do that" I said if you give him a biscuit he may let you. My dog could not have liked him enough to let him :)

Edited by Thongkorn

I had a dog , it used to lay on a mat near the door, One day my friend came round and walked in, My dog was licking his balls, my friends said to me "I wish i could do that" I said if you give him a biscuit he may let you. My dog could not have liked him enough to let him :)

Jasper Carrot. Brings back happy memories of his shows. Whatever happened to him?

p.s. sorry - I realise this is off topic - but I went to one of his live shows once with my husband. My eyesight was v bad, and after sitting through half an hour or so of 'his' show, he finished, I got up to leave and told my husband he wasn't as good as I expected. My husband pointed out it was just the warm-up act...... Jasper Carrot was hilarious when he came on later!

Edited by F1fanatic

have to agree here...the dog is saying in dogspeak "don't bbq me"......otoh bbq'd dog tastes real good!

Because he can.

:)

Reminds me of the old joke:

Two blokes watching a dog licking its balls and d1ck.

First bloke: "I wish I could do that."

Second bloke: "Well, the owner's over there. Why don't you ask him?"

Because he can.

:)

Reminds me of the old joke:

Two blokes watching a dog licking its balls and d1ck.

First bloke: "I wish I could do that."

Second bloke: "Well, the owner's over there. Why don't you ask him?"

I think I've already pointed out this is an old Jasper Carrot joke - only the punchline is - 'give him a biscuit - he may let you'....

Cats are even worse ... they insist on sitting on me, even cats that hate everyone else.

a cat will walk into a room full of people and go straight to the person who hates cats. the more you know!

That'll be me then!

I attach a photo taken of dogs in cages that are 'going to market' on the back of a truck in a SE Asian country that shall remain un-named...the dogs by the road barked wildly as the truck passed; maybe the scent of so many dogs or maybe they just knew that the dogs on the truck were already dead, in distress or otherwise doomed...

a distressing photo...and I don't like dogs that much...

post-3474-1274807539_thumb.jpg

Nam? They like dogs there

I've read this before on TV and while it certainly could be true in my case, it doesn't explain why ALL dogs don't bark at me as I pass by. Some take no notice and some are very friendly.

Yeah, I'd like to know too but what is even more strange is I often find dogs trying to HUMP my leg. Its true, everywhere I go dogs hump my leg.

Pity I don't have the same effect on the ladies :)

female dogs hump...same effect :D

My first wife's family used to have a bunch of dogs that normally were quiet and did not bark. Then grand mommy died and the normally quiet dogs barked a lot the night of the 3rd day after she died, then they kept quiet again.

That's 15 years ago now and I still struggle to explain it

Yeah, I'd like to know too but what is even more strange is I often find dogs trying to HUMP my leg. Its true, everywhere I go dogs hump my leg.

Pity I don't have the same effect on the ladies :D

You want ladies to hump your leg? :)

So long as you do it in the privacy of your own home, whatever turns you on is alright by me.

my contribution with this topic is, they say when dog barks at certain people; that person did something to them.

dogs also bark those people who eat dogs,

Dogs will bark at complete strangers. I also know people that eat dog meat and have never had problems with dogs. People who have an insecurity with dogs will almost always create a reaction from the dog. Some times a good reaction sometimes negative one, depends on the nature of the dog. A stray will have a pop at someone who is affraid of it for sure.

One thing I did notice when living out in lopburi was, the stretch of road that we lived on was a hot spot for accidents. Every time there was a fatal one, dogs for miles around could be heard howling immediately after the crash. They certainly have a 6th sense thats for sure.

My dogs bark at ANY stranger in the area. I don't discourage it (for a short while) as its a great deterrent for any 'would be' burglar.

The funny thing is that they all love people if we're outside together.

But, I have noticed that's its far harder to stop them barking at Thais than farangs....

I also have heard from several Thai's that dogs bark at people that eat dog meat, they can smell that on them.

I lived on a soi in Pattaya where the soi dogs would go ballistic toward some Thai people collecting cans and other trash,

I chose to believe the dog eating story, as the more logical explanation.

Cheers: :)

My first wife's family used to have a bunch of dogs that normally were quiet and did not bark. Then grand mommy died and the normally quiet dogs barked a lot the night of the 3rd day after she died, then they kept quiet again.

That's 15 years ago now and I still struggle to explain it

Mine is a simlar situation:

I brought my Mum out with me to Thailand. - ten years ago. Also Cassie, the Family sheepdog. I lived in a village/estate and on the other side of my house was a family who kept a dalmation. Mum died last year - and on the third day after her passing I was woken uo by a scream at 0125 (the time that she died). Initially I thought that it was my wife or one of Mum's carer's who were sleeping upstairs, perhaps having a nightmare. But no - it turned out to be the dalmation living opposite. I got up and Cassie, who did not make a sound was 'happily' anxious to get outside. I went upstairs to calm my wife and the carer and when I came back downstairs - Cassie was sitting in the kitchen lookig like she had just seen an old friend.

Draw your own conclusions.