River Kwai Hotel Kanchanaburi

duan

I live in Hua Hin and have never been to Kan. A mate who is visiting LOS later this year and who stayed at the Felix Hotel on his only previous trip to Kan wants me to meet him there. He found the Felix to be too far from the strip and has asked me to research hotels with swimming pools within walking distance of the strip at around 2000 baht per night. From my initial online research the River Kwai Hotel seems a possibility and I would be very grateful if someone could advise how long it would take to walk to the strip from there and on its general suitability based on his criterion.

All help greatly appreciated.

It would take about 15 to 20 minutes tops to walk to the strip from the River Kwai Hotel. A friend of mine stayed there late last year and I believe he paid just over 1000 baht per night. The rate tends to differ depending on which time of year one is staying there. I also believe that it is getting a bit 'tired' these days but still reasonably acceptable. Don't know the condition of the pool though.

Hope this helps :)

He would be better off staying at Pong Phen, which is right on the strip and has a nice swimming pool overlooking the River Kwai. It has nice bungalows for 1,000 to 1,300 baht. It also collects guests for free from the bus station in town and has free wifi and a decent restaurant. Check it out at www.pongphen.com.

i have stayed at the river kwai hotel twice.

first time had to move rooms at 11pm ,noise from club in front of hotel.

second time booked room at the back,better ,but you still hear some noise.

rooms are ok.

pool area dreadful.

breakfast not good.......usual ,cold farang food.

stayed at felix,very nice and quiet,nice rooms,breakfast ok.pool very nice.can walk to bridge,but you really need transport.

River Kwai is probably as far from the strip as Felix, if you use the bridge to cross over.

Camelia Guest house is an option around 900 baht, middle of River Kwai Road (The Strip) but away from the noisy end - nice pool and right on the river. The rooms are pretty decent to.

yep, the Guesthouses on Mae Nam Kwae Road are the way to go. The Phong Phen has really kicked on in the last few years. (So have a few of the others too). When I was there again last month they put decent sized Toshiba Refrigerators in the rooms too. The old 'original' rooms are around 450 Bt per night, the other new ones about 900. The food is good at Pong Phen and they have a large and varied Thai/Farang Menu.. Say hello to 'Kan' when you get there, she'll look after you.

I have stayed in the River Kwai but with limited transport in Kan it is still a prick getting to and from the 'strip' especially when its pissing rain.

Phong phen has some very reasonable chalets there, nice and clean and they do Western and Thai food, pool not that big but ok.

Camelia has a large pool, this resort is predominently for Israel tour groups, it has gone downhill drastically over the last couple of years.

Taxi's and transport are cheap, 200 Baht a day to hire a motorcycle so felix could be worthy of consideration, it is nice there.

Phong phen has some very reasonable chalets there, nice and clean and they do Western and Thai food, pool not that big but ok.

Camelia has a large pool, this resort is predominently for Israel tour groups, it has gone downhill drastically over the last couple of years.

Taxi's and transport are cheap, 200 Baht a day to hire a motorcycle so felix could be worthy of consideration, it is nice there.

I second the Phong Phen.

Stayed there about a month ago.

Room was 450 or 500 a night.

A few bars within walking distance and also a really good place to eat called Jolly Frog.

Service at Jolly Frog sucks but the food is good and really cheap (40 baht cheeseburger, 100 baht steak dinner).

I will stay there again when I go back.

The River Kwai Hotel isn't bad. If he wants a western style hotel. But it is definitely getting old and it shows inside the rooms. But again, it's not bad. I have stayed there 3-4 times and the rates are around 1200 a night and you get two beds, tv, western style bathroom (again, dont expect much). The breakfast isnt good, and it does have a pool but I havent been out there

The deal with the club is that you have to ask for a room away from the club. And actually its not a bad club if you like the thai style...I've had a couple crazy experiences there..

It is a 10 min brisk walk from the strip. You have to walk around a cemetary (which adds to the overall creepiness if you are staying at the the Riv Kwai Hotel haha....) So its definitely walkable but also you can just get a motorcycle taxi for like 20 baht.

Now this Phong place sounds good and I will try it next time, but I just wanted to give the RKH a voice

Thanks very much for all the advice so far. A decent size pool is essential as my mate needs to swim for 45 minutes each day for health reasons and he will also want secure safe deposits available whereever he stays. He will not take a motorbike taxi so are there any normal taxis/tuk tuks around the River Kwai hotel or is walking around the cemetry the only option?

He would be better off staying at Pong Phen, which is right on the strip and has a nice swimming pool overlooking the River Kwai. It has nice bungalows for 1,000 to 1,300 baht. It also collects guests for free from the bus station in town and has free wifi and a decent restaurant. Check it out at www.pongphen.com.

Although I have a bit of an interest in Pongphen as friends of mine own it (and I built their website!), I would thoroughly recommend them. Great value, good food and I always put my visiting friends there. They have really built the place up in the last few years.

When you go there, ask for "Karn" who runs the place. She's great and will help you with whatever you need. She's got the cutest little baby boy as well..!!

Thanks very much for all the advice so far. A decent size pool is essential as my mate needs to swim for 45 minutes each day for health reasons and he will also want secure safe deposits available whereever he stays. He will not take a motorbike taxi so are there any normal taxis/tuk tuks around the River Kwai hotel or is walking around the cemetry the only option?

Cannot vouch for the pool at the River Kwai Hotel but if your friend really wants to stay at this hotel, a tuk tuk is usually available if he goes across the road to the 'Four Nines' and speaks to the scotsman that runs it who can usually arrange one(mind you, he is only open from about 2pm onwards). It may also be possible to arrange one via reception at RKH. Quite honestly though I would take a place on the 'strip' that others have suggested. :)

• 1 year later...

I just stayed (just leaving as I write) 3 nights in Kan and due to this thread I stayed at the Phong Phen Guesthouse. I can vouch, it suited my needs perfectly except for the LACK of free wifi. Their policy must have changed recently because there's now a sign, 30B/hr.

It's right on the strip, the food was great, especially the thai, but nothing wrong with anything else either. And I found it quiet, I'm not a heavy sleeper and our bungalow was right on top of the bar.

I'll be coming back.