Smui Stay Aways

Smui, Chaheweng - where's that?

My tickets have always been Europe - Bangycock- Smui and return. I never quibbled over the fact that the ticket was expensive to Smui. I didn't know the price.

I was just excited to get to the beach, on holiday and get a sun tan in the middle of a depressing European winter. And see Elvis at Trippicle Mimphys.

If I can't afford it and have change, I shall not go on holiday. Save up for the next year.

A friend got us a really good deal to Banycock with Ethihad last month. Then realised the price quoted was only a return flight to Abbibi dabai. Can you imagine patsy stranded in Abbibu dibbu?

You and BigC should get on like a house on fire. :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good reply, Jiu-Jitsu.

So, to answer that: I said Pattaya not Bangkok > I was in the middle of the business there as I am here on Samui as I was in Bangkok too and I can tell you, that customers expect more in Samui than in Patty.

old feeling: there was only one old feeling on Samui, which I have known since the early 80s. You are right, it's almost gone. But if someone would like to get away from the crowds and enjoy a backpacker's cheap bungalow resort and a nice tropical beach, it is still possible at certain places around the island.

Sure like everywhere, backpackers came first, so it was in Crete and Goa. And they moved on to other places they have left for the masses...needless to argue with that, we all know that.

But you are wrong about the rest: Roads on Samui are not that flooded anymore, the infrastructure has improved. Samui is a nice place at least for thousands of European residents and hundred thousands of tourists. Even if you are a die hard hippie, you can enjoy the island, if you know the place.

But I can see where you are coming from and I have to agree with that too.

They expect more because they pay more. :) Improved infrastructure? Are you telling me that there are no more people wheeling their children out in the road and that there are no more flooded roads?

The place is sinking into oblivion. Ugly buildings going up everywhere and standing empty, Pretentious restaurants sinking like stones. What happened to all those restaurants in Soi Colibri? When are the upmarket tourists expected to arrive? It's like a pyramid scheme...just waiting for the next bunch of fools.

It's just a joke. No one talks about Samui anymore. The people who visit now are probably the same you would meet in Benidorm or Bali. Add a fair few Israelis to the mix and you've got it covered.

Samui got a boost during the Tsunami and showed it's greed. Putting up prices and building relentlessly in the hope that people would keep coming. They didn't. They went back to Phuket or on to the other nearby islands.

Doppelone is not wrong. The gap between resorts is closing. I for one wouldn't waste 7600 baht in order to go to Samui from Bangkok. That's another £320 for a couple. Remember most tourists have a fixed and limited holiday, so they don't want to waste a day travelling by other means, especially if they have heavy luggage. But £320 is not to be sniffed at.

So that brings us back to the kind of tourists you are seeking. Ones that believe the hyperbole?

I don't know if you can really get beers for 35 baht at bars in other places in Thailand but I think that Samui is slowly pricing itself out of the market too. Definitely I spend a lot of money when I visit Samui; it's been years since it's seemed like a cheap holiday to me. I don't doubt that Phuket is just as (or more) expensive than Samui but I seem to spend at least twice as much per day when I'm in Samui than when I visit Hua Hin and probably 3 times as much per day than when I visit Chiang Mai. That would be fine if I had twice or 3 times as much fun in Samui but I find that enjoy those other places just as much. Thus I now think twice before heading off to Samui.

Also, even though Europeans on package tours might not be troubled by Bangkok Airway's pricing policies I do think that it hurts the island when it comes to attracting tourists from elsewhere within Asia. For instance, a one way ticket from Singapore to Samui from now costs S$386 (about 9000 baht). That's just plain absurd. And before someone points out that not many people from Singapore (and other Asian countries) go to Samui anyway, maybe it wouldn't be that way if it didn't cost twice as much to fly to Samui as it does to fly to Bali, Phuket, and Sri Lanka and 4 times as much as what it costs to fly to Penang.

Whats the point here?

That Samui is not that great of a value anymore and that BA is harming the island despite what their defenders might say. Sorry to have offended you, that was not my intent.

Fortunately the people on Samui are not typical of the people like you taking umbrage a each and every any perceived slight of Samui. Samui is still a pretty decent place to go, despite the abrasiveness of it's defenders on ThaiVisa.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Every year myself and a friend visit Thailand for 1 month around this time of the year. We always spend two weeks on Samui book ended with one week stays in Pattaya. This year with the continuing economic uncertainty, the baht at 46 to the pound, and with the airfare costing 7600 baht return we've decided to skip Samui.

I've been a regular visitor to Koh Samui for the past 5 years and was last here in March. Later in the year I'm visiting China and decided to stop off again in Samui for 10 days on the way back to the UK. I've already booked the return flights except for the Samui leg, checked with the hotel in Bo Phut that there were vacancies and put down a deposit. Then I turned to the Bangkok Airways site and did a double take at the 7600 baht cost of the flight, which is more than double what I paid in March. Now I can afford the new fare but the fact is that I hate being ripped off and would prefer an alternative method of reaching my destination. The Bangkok - Samui fare is certainly out of kilter with prices charged in Europe by non budget airlines for a similar distance. Maybe Bangkok Airways won't bring down their fares but then I would expect tourists to try other resorts and the point made by a previous poster about reasonably priced flights to Bali, etc. is certainly relevant. Air Asia and other budget airlines manage to make a healthy profit by getting bums on seats at a reasonable price and Bankok Airways will only realise the error of its ways when it has to increase fares even higher to cover its dwindling passenger payload.

I would be grateful for advice on the most cost effective way, not necessarily the cheapest, of travelling from Bangkok to Samui with instructions on each step of the way if possible.

good reply, Jiu-Jitsu.

So, to answer that: I said Pattaya not Bangkok > I was in the middle of the business there as I am here on Samui as I was in Bangkok too and I can tell you, that customers expect more in Samui than in Patty.

old feeling: there was only one old feeling on Samui, which I have known since the early 80s. You are right, it's almost gone. But if someone would like to get away from the crowds and enjoy a backpacker's cheap bungalow resort and a nice tropical beach, it is still possible at certain places around the island.

Sure like everywhere, backpackers came first, so it was in Crete and Goa. And they moved on to other places they have left for the masses...needless to argue with that, we all know that.

But you are wrong about the rest: Roads on Samui are not that flooded anymore, the infrastructure has improved. Samui is a nice place at least for thousands of European residents and hundred thousands of tourists. Even if you are a die hard hippie, you can enjoy the island, if you know the place.

But I can see where you are coming from and I have to agree with that too.

They expect more because they pay more. :) Improved infrastructure? Are you telling me that there are no more people wheeling their children out in the road and that there are no more flooded roads?

The place is sinking into oblivion. Ugly buildings going up everywhere and standing empty, Pretentious restaurants sinking like stones. What happened to all those restaurants in Soi Colibri? When are the upmarket tourists expected to arrive? It's like a pyramid scheme...just waiting for the next bunch of fools.

It's just a joke. No one talks about Samui anymore. The people who visit now are probably the same you would meet in Benidorm or Bali. Add a fair few Israelis to the mix and you've got it covered.

Samui got a boost during the Tsunami and showed it's greed. Putting up prices and building relentlessly in the hope that people would keep coming. They didn't. They went back to Phuket or on to the other nearby islands.

Doppelone is not wrong. The gap between resorts is closing. I for one wouldn't waste 7600 baht in order to go to Samui from Bangkok. That's another £320 for a couple. Remember most tourists have a fixed and limited holiday, so they don't want to waste a day travelling by other means, especially if they have heavy luggage. But £320 is not to be sniffed at.

So that brings us back to the kind of tourists you are seeking. Ones that believe the hyperbole?

What has little old Samui done to you then? Ridiculous post.

There's nothing any of us can do about the price of Bangkok Airways seats to Samui. Rubbishing the island however and claiming its overpriced simply isn't true. Samui can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

Also people should realise in attacking the island in this way those of us with businesses which are affected by tourism aren't so keen to see a thread full of speculation of this nature.

:)

I reckon a lot of people that do rubbish the island, are ex residents with failed businesses, with an axe to grind . Jealousy is also a factor , they probably missed the cash cow too.Reading between the lines, you can feel that there is ressentment against the people that have made it, or the people that can afford to retire here.

This is the problem with such threads, they deteriorate into a venting thread, with absolutely nothing to do with the original post, vague & trollish as it might be. Funny how the OP himself has detoured from it, makes you wonder what his real agenda was in the first place, also noting that he is a new member, by God he has a lot to say hasn't he?

My advice is, if you are not happy with Samui, simple, don't come, you have choices, exercise that privilege.

For the die hard knokers, great, you had your say,but keep on repeating it, gets boring & tedious,most of you have not been back in years, so what qualifications have you, to comment on the current situation, being roads, water supply projects, cleaning & so on?Are you aware of the new administration on Samui?They have done more in their first six months, then the old ones did in all their time in office.

Some of your comments are an absolute joke, bred out of ignorance.

Edited by Oak

I reckon a lot of people that do rubbish the island, are ex residents with failed businesses, with an axe to grind . Jealousy is also a factor , they probably missed the cash cow too.Reading between the lines, you can feel that there is ressentment against the people that have made it, or the people that can afford to retire here.

This is the problem with such threads, they deteriorate into a venting thread, with absolutely nothing to do with the original post, vague & trollish as it might be. Funny how the OP himself has detoured from it, makes you wonder what his real agenda was in the first place, also noting that he is a new member, by God he has a lot to say hasn't he?

My advice is, if you are not happy with Samui, simple, don't come, you have choices, exercise that privilege.

For the die hard knokers, great, you had your say,but keep on repeating it, gets boring & tedious,most of you have not been back in years, so what qualifications have you, to comment on the current situation, being roads, water supply projects, cleaning & so on?Are you aware of the new administration on Samui?They have done more in their first six months, then the old ones did in all their time in office.

You have just echoed my feelings. Post no 63 :):D:D

I am the OP and for the record I'm a tourist who has previously spent many a happy holiday on Samui, but this year for the first time in many I will be staying away. For the conspiracy theorists out there I leave no failed businesses in my wake, I have no agenda and I'm certainly not jealous of the good people who have chosen to retire on Samui. Following my original post I was unfairly characterized by the Samui cogniscenti which prompted me to defend myself and further explain my reasons for not holidaying on Samui this year. If you go back through the posts you'll notice that my comments have not been exclusively negative and that I persist in holding the view that Samui is a fun holiday island.

The fact that I'm a new member is hardly relevant. Presumably eveyone was a new member once? I notice you've only posted 42 times, which hardly makes you the Old Man of the Sea.

As for the person who said I was in a "minority" in my decision to stay away from Samui, I hope you're right. But as the new British prime minister has discovered, miinorities can be a powerful force, and I suggest that if you're in business you ignore them at your peril.

To the good member who said my comments are not appreciated by the Samui business community, I apologize. But since when has Thai Visa been the exclusive domain of people with business interests on Samui? And with respect, burying your head in the sand is hardly a sound business strategy.

I sincerely hope that the new administration can turn things around on Samui. Time will tell! Good luck.

I am the OP and for the record I'm a tourist who has previously spent many a happy holiday on Samui, but this year for the first time in many I will be staying away. For the conspiracy theorists out there I leave no failed businesses in my wake, I have no agenda and I'm certainly not jealous of the good people who have chosen to retire on Samui. Following my original post I was unfairly characterized by the Samui cogniscenti which prompted me to defend myself and further explain my reasons for not holidaying on Samui this year. If you go back through the posts you'll notice that my comments have not been exclusively negative and that I persist in holding the view that Samui is a fun holiday island.

The fact that I'm a new member is hardly relevant. Presumably eveyone was a new member once? I notice you've only posted 42 times, which hardly makes you the Old Man of the Sea.

As for the person who said I was in a "minority" in my decision to stay away from Samui, I hope you're right. But as the new British prime minister has discovered, miinorities can be a powerful force, and I suggest that if you're in business you ignore them at your peril.

To the good member who said my comments are not appreciated by the Samui business community, I apologize. But since when has Thai Visa been the exclusive domain of people with business interests on Samui? And with respect, burying your head in the sand is hardly a sound business strategy.

I sincerely hope that the new administration can turn things around on Samui. Time will tell! Good luck.

First of all my last post was not directed at you really.

Fact is you could travel from Pattaya to Samui return flying through Suratthani for 3000 Baht or so.

If you were interested in cutting the cost of your trip you could also have asked here for advice on cheap hotels and transportation etc.

However as you've already made up your mind where is the value in this thread? Its just negative in every respect.

I don't fit any of your descriptions... First arrived nearly twenty years ago as a tourist and stayed a tourist. No interest in starting a business or obtaining a part of the land for myself.

I make my money in my country and don't believe in mixing my pleasure with business. Why would I be jealous of someone who has to work to stay there when I can afford to stay there for six months doing nothing?

Clearly the ones who have the axe to grind are the ones with business interests there. Sorry, but I'm not interested in protecting your business interests. I'm there for a holiday and I'm not interested in politics or how well someone's business is doing.

Great if the new administration are making strides in Samui, I hope the thing will rise from the ashes. Still, I think that Chaweng should be renamed Chav Weng. It's just terrible. :D

The Spa at Lamai is still a nice place to visit though. :) Each to their own. Really Samui is not all that bad, but they've made a pig's ear out of a silk purse.

I don't fit any of your descriptions... First arrived nearly twenty years ago as a tourist and stayed a tourist. No interest in starting a business or obtaining a part of the land for myself.

I make my money in my country and don't believe in mixing my pleasure with business. Why would I be jealous of someone who has to work to stay there when I can afford to stay there for six months doing nothing?

Clearly the ones who have the axe to grind are the ones with business interests there. Sorry, but I'm not interested in protecting your business interests. I'm there for a holiday and I'm not interested in politics or how well someone's business is doing.

Great if the new administration are making strides in Samui, I hope the thing will rise from the ashes. Still, I think that Chaweng should be renamed Chav Weng. It's just terrible. :D

The Spa at Lamai is still a nice place to visit though. :) Each to their own. Really Samui is not all that bad, but they've made a pig's ear out of a silk purse.

No axe to grind as I have the best of both worlds. Good post by the way yes its changed beyond recognition in some areas even since I arrived but there are still some wonderful places.