Food

neilf

4 of us went to the village chippy just off 3rd road-----i got the info from here------and we decided the fish and chips were the best we had had in pattaya.

the english boss is opening a chinese rest next door soon and hopefully it will be as good as the chip shop.--------i need a chinese now please for tgf birthday tomm and wonder if any suggestions / price-------can travel outside pattaya

I am following this as Chinese food from any region is way up on the top of my list. UG turned me on to a good chinese place in CNX but in Pattaya I have yet to find an authentic chinese restaurant. Talking with a manager at a very large and usually empty Chinese restaurant on the north side of Pattaya Nua, he explained that in Thailand almost all of them adjust their food to the Thai palate. This means that all dishes, even fried rice are inundated with chilies and therefore the taste of the food is covered up with the chilies in typical Thai style. You would think that with all the Chinese businessmen here that there would be some good stuff.Go figure...

The Siam Bay group hotel at the end of Walkin Street has a fine restaurant complete with hanging Peking Duck.

How would that one be price-wise?

Expensive.............it is odd, to say the least, that not one person has introduced American-style Chinese food to Thailand.

Yes, it is not easy to make............Thai food is very easy to make in comparison. But it can be done.

I think there are a lot of expats--from both sides of the pond--that would flock to a good American-style Chinese restaurant.

The Siam Bay group hotel at the end of Walkin Street has a fine restaurant complete with hanging Peking Duck.

The owners of the hotel are Thai Chinese with the emphasis on Chinese. It is not cheap but if you know what you want, it's well prepared and worth the effort.

There was a "European style" Chinese restaurant on soi Bukeaw - near soi Diana - a few years ago that seemed to be doing well. They had the same dishes as in America.

i have heard chow soy in chaiyapoon is ok

The owners of the hotel are Thai Chinese with the emphasis on Chinese. It is not cheap but if you know what you want, it's well prepared and worth the effort.

Could the honored authors of these opinions please define the words "expensive" and "not cheap" ?

you guys keep saying "chinese" but, most of Pattaya's chinese restaurants are Szechuan. what this town really needs is a Cantonese-based restaurant. anyone know of any Cantonese?

ther was eric once

you guys keep saying "chinese" but, most of Pattaya's chinese restaurants are Szechuan. what this town really needs is a Cantonese-based restaurant. anyone know of any Cantonese?

None of the Chinese restaurants mentioned in this thread serves Szechuan regional cuisine. I wish they did. I've only been to the restaurant in the Dusit, and that was Hong Kong style.

ther was eric once

do what now?

eric cantona----------surely he was cantonese ?

Flock to American style Chinese food??????

Sorry but I disagree and would fly in the opposite direction!

Most of it has been watered down to a bland taste to suit the local palate…..not to mention the big gloppy tasteless mystery sauce covering everything….the fried rice is not very tasty compared to Thai….and few fresh veggies to boot!

I would take authentic Chinese any day over this!

Expensive.............it is odd, to say the least, that not one person has introduced American-style Chinese food to Thailand.

Yes, it is not easy to make............Thai food is very easy to make in comparison. But it can be done.

I think there are a lot of expats--from both sides of the pond--that would flock to a good American-style Chinese restaurant.

Flock to American style Chinese food??????

Sorry but I disagree and would fly in the opposite direction!

Have you ever had Chinese food in New York or San Francisco? It tastes much like in Singapore or Hong Kong - but with some different dishes - and is nothing like you describe.

We are not talking about Chinese food in Wheeling West Virginia. We are talking about the good stuff!

I get the feeling you have never eaten at a really good American-Chinese place :)

Interesting comments about vegetables and sauces.

What I like most about American-style Chinese food is its wonderful sauces..........so many.......so delicious.

And I like the fact that many dishes use very fresh vegetables.............and lots of them.

Having lived in China, I know that many dishes are short on vegetables............mostly meat (especially up north).

Whatever, we all have an opinion.

I still maintain that a really good (great sauces and fresh vegetables and meats) American-style Chinese place will be a huge hit in Thailand.

It is certainly a franchise concept that has yet to be exploited.

Thais would likely ruin it though and turn the food into tasteless Thai food..........with almost no vegetables and sauces.