Whats Your Favourite Type Khutieow(noodle Soup)?

tigerfish

ever since i can remember, i have been eating khutieow!

most days i manage to eat a bowl of some kind.

theres a guy on my soi who comes nearly every day of the week and sells the chicken(ghai) variation. aswell as my wifes brother who sells tom yam or if you like nam tok(pigs blood) with blah and moo(fish and pork) but, that doesnt stop me from trying to find new places to eat the stuff.

my favourite though is khutieow ped, sen yai(duck with the large variation of noodle)

so whats your favourite type of khutieow? be it beef, chicken, pork fish or duck and what kind of noodles do like with it? sen yai, mei, lek or bamei. do you have a particular way of eating them, easy on the sugar, naam blah and vineager, but heavy on the chillie. whatever!

how much do you think is a fair price to pay for a bowl of noodle soup and the thing i really want to know is, where in bangkok, chiang mai, pattaya, phuket or samui or anywhere else for that matter do you think are the is the best khutieow sold in the whole of thailand and why?

cheers, tigerfish.

btw, sorry about the spelling of the thai words.

Edited by tigerfish

When it comes to noodle soups I prefer the Japanese Ramen or Udon Noodle Soups, although I do like my บะหมี่น (Bame) & เส้นใหญ่ (Sen Yai) both in soup form and without, normally with pork or chicken with my wife's ผัดซีอิวหมู (patsiew with pork) a particular favourite & her ก๋วยเตี๋ยวน้ำเส้นใหญ่ไก่นม (Gwidtow Sen Yai with Chicken breast) not far behind. I have tried most with every kind of flavouring and meat combo the two above are my favourite, my general guidelines to newbies would be see what suits your palette best but easy on the spices when consuming the lighter meats & fish as too much Chilli will smother the flavour, that's what I like about the Japanese soups.

Although not a noodle soup ต้มข่าไก่ (Dtom Ka Gai - Chicken breast in a coconut milk soup) is my favourite Thai soup & shouldn't be missed out.

Edited by Stjohnm

I only like bame, khao soi, and rad na sen yai. Don't really like any of the other noodle soups. Annoying because many noodle stalls don't have bame, so nothing for me to eat. And khao soi is impossible to get in Bangkok as far as I've seen, although I've seen khutieow kaek a few times.

I enjoy all the Khutieowz however favourite is Khutieow Heng(dry) Seleck (thin glass noodle) with mhu and a soup on the side...

I think with "seleck" you may mean "sen lek" (เส้นเล็ก), which are just the smallest variety of rice noodles used with kuai tiaow (ก๋วยเตี๋ยว). Glass noodle, or agar, is "wun sen." (วุ้นเส้น). Do you mean the white noodles, or the transparent ones? Agar is transparent, or anyhow translucent.

when me MiL is out and about she picks up something that she knows I'll like; usually with mu daeng and with lots of veges...don't like the pigs blood or the indeterminate little gray balls...all packaged in the un-openable plastic bag with rubber band with the condiments on the side in their own un-openable little plastic bags...

she will then proceed to set the contents out for serving and I stop her sayin: 'you've done enough to please me, me beauty, I'll take over from here...' and then I put my arms around her and give her withered but vital bones a squeeze before I build us a couple of vodkas with soda and juice...

the wife narrows her eyes an' sez: 'how come yew never give me a squeeze when I bring you home some kweiteo?...' (because ye never do an' when ye do there's always dem little gray balls...')

I enjoy all the Khutieowz however favourite is Khutieow Heng(dry) Seleck (thin glass noodle) with mhu and a soup on the side...

I think with "seleck" you may mean "sen lek" (เส้นเล็ก), which are just the smallest variety of rice noodles used with kuai tiaow (ก๋วยเตี๋ยว). Glass noodle, or agar, is "wun sen." (วุ้นเส้น). Do you mean the white noodles, or the transparent ones? Agar is transparent, or anyhow translucent.

Actually there's a finer variety of rice noodle below sen lek. It's sen mee - or rice vermicelli.

Actually there's a finer variety of rice noodle below sen lek. It's sen mee - or rice vermicelli.

Yes I sen lek +5555. they are the thin transparent one but thicker then vermicelli.

goo-ay tee-ow gai naam sai ก๋วยเตื๋ยวไก่น้ำไส

It's what I always have, from the second shop just after the turnoff from 118 into doi saket ...... 30bht

Expensive but the chicken is always good quality chicken breast ....... I hate cheap cuts of meat in my noodle soup.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a Vietnamese/Chinese-American, so I have a few preferences. My Vietnamese side likes the Kwiet Tiew Rua with senlek. It's as close as I have found Thai noodles to get to pho. If the meat is good and the meatballs are good as well, it's comparable for me. If you've read some of my past posts on pho, the pho in Vietname can't compare to the stuff you get in southern Cali. My Chinese side likes ba me kiaw with moo deng. Not as good as you find in Hong Kong, but it's not too bad for what you can get there. As for the soup, I tell them no sugar, MSG, or raw onions. If I frequent a place, I ask if they normally add MSG to their soup broth. I try to avoid those places. Most don't seem to add MSG or they are lying to me. I grew up on my mom's pho, which she cooked at least overnight with no MSG and a bunch of beef bones to make the broth naturally sweet. All this talk of noodles is making me hungry!

Khao Soi for sure. Best I've had in BKK was in a store run by a Chinese Muslim not too far from the Khao San area (but far enough that there are never any farangs there). Followed by Chinese-style shrimp dumplings soup or bamee hang.

When I used to live in Loei, you could get Vietnamese style Pho up there. In fact they even called it pho. Very delish.

• 3 weeks later...

Our village is so small it would be called a hamlet in merry old England.

I read somewhere the definition of a hamlet is a village too small to have a church and we have no Wat.

As such, our selection of eating establishments is limited to two places that the missus will eat in.

A couple of other temp stalls but "Mai Alloi"

Back on topic. "Sai lek muu' with everything available from the kruang.

• 2 weeks later...

Sen Mee - rice vermicelli, the finest type

Wun Sen - transparent noodle, supposedly healthiest one

Sen Lek - thicker than Sen Mee

Sen Yai - the widest type, heavily preservative added. "Better avoid."

Bamee - egg noodle

Kuayjap - straw-like white noodle

To my understanding, MSG is unavoidable unless home cooking.

Khao Soi for sure. Best I've had in BKK was in a store run by a Chinese Muslim not too far from the Khao San area (but far enough that there are never any farangs there).

Do you remember any more specifically where this place is?

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I miss the most when I am back home, not be able to find many kind of Kuey teow on every street corner. I eat them everywhere in Thailand and never been deceived.

KhaoSoi.JPG

The great khao Soi ข้าวซอย

Edited by NamKAheng

bamee, geeow, moo dang, phi set, hang. works for me. I add the chili's, the chili vinegar, the black vinegar, the sugar, and the nam blaa too. MMMMM

Of course not all geeow are created equal and sometimes you can't get geeow at all.

Kow soi is not what I would call kwiteow, but is mighty fine too.

It's not Kuey teow but when well prepared the khao tom is also on my favourite list, jok has well.

The Thai jok is far better than the Chinese congee.

600px-Chinese_rice_congee.jpg

Jok ไฟล์

khao tom is my favorite as well and when I'm at home from work the MiL always has a pot ready to eat when I get outta bed in the morning...it's the real stuff and she guards it until I've had my fill otherwise the rest of the household would attack it and it would be gone inna heartbeat...

the toddler grandson is quite partial to it as well and sometimes I have to use a cudgel to have him keep his distance... :)

Maybe I am not familiar with what you call Kway teow here, but for me there is for me only one kind of of, though they might differ in width. Kway teow is the Hokkian name of the flat strip rice noodles (sen yai in Thai?)

Or course they can be cooked in many ways, but I will definitively go with the stir fried version, the char kway teow:

FriedKwayTeow2.jpg

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

There are so many ways to prepare it and it usually is pretty standard.

Here is a tip for all those living in Pattaya. On soi Bukhao, across from the two gold shops and next to a new gold shop, down from the ever popular cheap restaurant ("May"? no sign) is Chinese lady that makes the best noodles in Thailand. She has a great recipe and doesn't cheap out on the ingredients.

Nam is great in a light broth but the heng is outstanding?

Only open mornings till 1pm

Not in Pataya for many years, about the only thing I miss about it

• 2 weeks later...

Your picture is more like a Singapore style fried kway teow which is sweet in taste.

Thai has a similar dish called Pad See Yuu (or See Yu / See You / See Ew). Seeyuu is Teochiew for soy sauce which is dark and salty.

Maybe I am not familiar with what you call Kway teow here, but for me there is for me only one kind of of, though they might differ in width. Kway teow is the Hokkian name of the flat strip rice noodles (sen yai in Thai?)

Or course they can be cooked in many ways, but I will definitively go with the stir fried version, the char kway teow:

FriedKwayTeow2.jpg

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif