Is Walking Street Shut Up Tight Today?

Mobi

Apologies if this subject has already been debated.

A couple of friends are coming to town and have asked me if any entertainment places (i.e bars, clubs) are open tonight.

As far as I am aware, it is a complete shut down, but I guess Walking Street might be the one exception.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks

Edited by Mobi

Is there no respect for the most important Thai religious holiday of the year? What does it matter if bars are closed for one day. Are you going to die?

^^ They acknowledged that Pattaya is a special interest zone by lifting the curfew. They should do the same with religious holidays. Tourists are mostly not Buddhists and shouldn't be forced to sit in their hotel room on their holidays. Wake up Thailand.

Besides, as Marx said, "religion is the opiate of the people". Why does religious people always have to impose their religion on others?

Edited by Phil Conners

Is there no respect for the most important Thai religious holiday of the year? What does it matter if bars are closed for one day. Are you going to die?

I have no intetion of going out anywhere tonight.

If you read what I said, I was enquiring on behalf of some friends who are coming here today.

If tourists are coming to Pattaya to enjoy themselves and they are not Buddhist and there are places that will open to cater for them, then I see no harm in this.

It is not showing disrespect as all practising Buddhists who wish to observe this religious day, will be elsewhere, doing whatever it is they do on such occasions.

And as ever, there will be thousands of drinking places open today throughout Thailand that will cater for Thais who wish to drink and 'show their disrespect' to their fellow countrymen.

If you have to preach, Why don't you preach to them?

^^ They acknowledged that Pattaya is a special interest zone by lifting the curfew. They should do the same with religious holidays. Tourists are mostly not Buddhists and shouldn't be forced to sit in their hotel room on their holidays. Wake up Thailand.

Besides, as Marx said, "religion is the opiate of the people". Why does religious people always have to impose their religion on others?

It used to be that they'd allow the international hotel bars to continue to serve alcohol. A sensible compromise as what they really want is for Thais not to be drinking.

It doesnt stop the Thais working at the 2. Road in Jomtien. I could not imagine a public high religious holiday back home with People working.

Mobi I will send you a pm about one place I know who is usually open, but its not on Walking Street.

Edited by CHdiver

I think OP was only asking a question :D

Naa, I think its obvious that the OP does not "love" Thailand and deserved a dressing down :)

By the way, is tolerance a Buddhist attribute? Good thing we posters ignore that and lash out at any one that we disagree with :D

PS-My local 7-11 on Soi Khao Noi was not selling alcohol yesterday evening and today. First time in over a year that I've seen that :D

Edited by Lancelot

lancelot.

re .... PS-My local 7-11 on Soi Khao Noi was not selling alcohol yesterday evening and today

its the same same in chiamg mai ... but i have stock in : (

tomorrows another day to enjoy !

dave2

post-42592-1275064857_thumb.jpg

lancelot.

re .... PS-My local 7-11 on Soi Khao Noi was not selling alcohol yesterday evening and today

dave2

7-11 at east end of Soi Siam Country Club not selling either, even after I pleaded with my big brown eyes :) Every bar appeared to be closed along Nuenplebwan and Soi CC except for one doing a roaring trade, err... Outback.... Special rules?

lancelot.

dave2

7-11 at east end of Soi Siam Country Club not selling either, even after I pleaded with my big brown eyes :) Every bar appeared to be closed along Nuenplebwan and Soi CC except for one doing a roaring trade, err... Outback.... Special rules?

6am this morning 7/11, family mart etc. back selling alchohol.

:)

lancelot.

dave2

7-11 at east end of Soi Siam Country Club not selling either, even after I pleaded with my big brown eyes :D Every bar appeared to be closed along Nuenplebwan and Soi CC except for one doing a roaring trade, err... Outback.... Special rules?

6am this morning 7/11, family mart etc. back selling alchohol.

Yes I was there in the queue desperate for my alcohol.......24 hours without a beer fix, how am I supposed to cope? :D

Edited by gmac

Thailand is a Buddhist state. Alcohol is not to be served on religious holidays, plain and simple. Get use to it.

Barry

So all the little Thai Shops who did a roaring trade selling Alc yesterday must be run by Muslim Thai I guess, together with all the Thais buing the booze.

No booze laws are just for Tourists, not for Thais.

Thailand is a Buddhist state. Alcohol is not to be served on religious holidays, plain and simple. Get use to it.

Barry

That's a good one! :)

Yes, excellent joke. There are plenty of small Thai places serving. The only places closed are the places serving tourists.

I don't personally care. I have a big fridge and don't go out that much anyway. It's just that it is stupid to close down a place like Pattaya for something the majority of Thai's don't really care about anyway.

It's an unholy alliance between the very powerful, controlling' moral' brigade, (the same lot that successfully managed to prevent Chang Beer being launched on the Thai stock exchange). and the BIB, who view these religious holidays as a lucrative opportunity to make extra pocket money.

No one gives a hoot about about the effects on tourism and they delight in sticking it in the eye to all the evil farangs who invade their wonderful country and try to impose all their western vices on pure, innocent Thais.

Short answer- I care about as much as they care about Christmas or Easter.

I have more respect for the POOR people that will lose out yet again because they are unable to earn a living. I'm sure they care more about eating and paying their bills than some religious holiday.

They already lose out so many times due to elections etc.

Personally, doesn't affect me as I no longer frequent bars etc, but if I was so dependent on alcohol that I couldn't go a day without, I'd just stock up beforehand.