Jomtien Second Rd

Zstarx

Aren't the View Talay Villas at the next Road behind the Market? Probably 500 Meter behind 2. Road going towards Sukhumvit.

No. I think you are talking about Jomtien Park Villas. View Talay Villas are at the end of soi 5 next to the market.

The new second road will start at the roundabout in Jomtien (where Thappaya turns towards Jomtien Beach) between the 7/11 and Family Mart. It will run parallel to the beach (in between the entrance to View Talay Villas and the end of soi 5).

Between Chaiyapuk road and Na Jomtien road, it will curve towards Sukhumvitt (near the Pattaya Floating Market).

Here's a link to an image in Pattaya Mail for the proposed route:

http://www.pattayamail.com/859/pictures/Map-Jomtien.jpg

It's very obvious where the new second road will be. The area is all torn up and has been for years! It's part of the Thappaya road improvement project.

There is another new road that runs parallel to the beach between Sukhumvitt road and the beach road. Many people have mistakenly called it second road. It's not, it's third road.

Edited by BB1950

I'm confused on third road. Will it be parallel to the new 2nd road? Or parallel to Suk? Can't wait for the new 2nd road to open up...all the way. It will make getting to immigration a breeze!

Third road is parallel to Sukhumvit road. For the most part it will be parallel to the new second road. But between Chaiyapik road and Na Jomtien road, second road will turn and intersect both third road and Sukhumvit.

The stretch of third road between Chaiyapuk road and Na Jomtien road was completed about 6 years ago. Eventually third road will intersect with Theppasit (my guess it's somewhere around soi 7). Don't look for it to be completed for some time. Too many land acquisition issues.

Supposedly, the land acquisition issues have been holding up the completion of second road. It was suppose to be complete by April 2010. Judging by it's current state and factoring the time spent on Thappraya road. I'd say it will be another 5 years before it's complete.

Between Chaiyapuk road and Na Jomtien road, it will curve towards Sukhumvitt (near the Pattaya Floating Market).

That map shows the statue which most people refer to as Hanuman (it's not, of course, the lower half is a fish) as Machanu.

A quick Google and I learn that:

Machanu

by Micha F. Lindemans

In Thai mythology, the guardian of the lake which must be crossed to reach the underworld. Machanu is half fish, half god.

Well, I've learnt something new today, thank you, I'd never heard of Machanu before, but that is indeed what the statue is representing. Kind of appropriate, too, given the huge muddy lake that forms there nowadays during the rainy season. This lake, guarded by Machanu, must be crossed to reach the underworld, aka the Ace Cafe. :)

That map shows the statue which most people refer to as Hanuman (it's not, of course, the lower half is a fish) as Machanu.

A quick Google and I learn that:

Machanu

by Micha F. Lindemans

In Thai mythology, the guardian of the lake which must be crossed to reach the underworld. Machanu is half fish, half god.

Well, I've learnt something new today, thank you, I'd never heard of Machanu before, but that is indeed what the statue is representing. Kind of appropriate, too, given the huge muddy lake that forms there nowadays during the rainy season. This lake, guarded by Machanu, must be crossed to reach the underworld, aka the Ace Cafe. :)

i have to ask-----------what experiences have you had in the ace cafe to call it the underworld--------i would love to now

Have there been any progress on the road from PanPan down to the statue since March? They finished (that is tarmac and open traffic on both sides of the new road, 4 lines + parking on each side) the part from hill to PanPan early April and where taking down the spagetti cables outside jomtien complex, so curious to know if they actually will be able to open full width by november --- 2010 or 2011...

"if they actually will be able to open full width by november --- 2010 or 2011..."

Given their track-record, it's likely to be 2015 to 2020 if we're lucky.

I'd prefer to see them simply abandon that segment of the project rather than subject the residents and businesses in that area to the extreme and extended turmoil that the original segment from the Flyover to Pan-Pan caused.

"if they actually will be able to open full width by november --- 2010 or 2011..."

Given their track-record, it's likely to be 2015 to 2020 if we're lucky.

I'd prefer to see them simply abandon that segment of the project rather than subject the residents and businesses in that area to the extreme and extended turmoil that the original segment from the Flyover to Pan-Pan caused.

No, their track record would say road finished down to statue in april 2011. Thats been their progress so far. If my memory serves me right, they started digging uphill (from pattaya) in 2007, let the place look like a disaster zone for high season 2008, put tarmac on uphill sometime during 2009, started digging downhill toward panpan 2009 and opened full width from hill to panpan march 2010. So if anything there is an increased pace in the socalled track-record and they might finish from panpan to statue during april 2011.

This talk about 2015 or 2020 might be true for the entire road past the statue, but I was asking about if they are doing anything right now. Of course the thread is about second road, and I guess you cant talk about "second road" until its past the statue, but the part with built up business and all traffic converging, from statue - up hill - pattaya might be finished by 2011 - based on past progress and not just perceived progress by disgruntled expats.

They are working hard cutting through Jomtien beach Condominium .7 days a week they are at it .They now have the first half done ,and are working on the 2 nd half .As well as building a road they are laying huge drainage and service pipes .There should be a lot of progress in one year from now .

They are working hard cutting through Jomtien beach Condominium .7 days a week they are at it .They now have the first half done ,and are working on the 2 nd half .As well as building a road they are laying huge drainage and service pipes .There should be a lot of progress in one year from now .

Thanks, what about Thapraya road? Any progress or still potholes?

"what about Thapraya road? Any progress or still potholes?"

Apparently there are differing views on this subject in this thread, but here's mine:

The new section from the 3rd Road fly-over to Pan-Pan is better than it has been for 3 years, but segments are already starting to fail. The drainage grills that cross the road are sinking and causing traffic to slow down to traverse these hazards.

The section from Pan-Pan to the Hanuman Statue is pretty much the same disaster it has been for 5 years. They've recently put down some new asphalt patches, but if history serves as a guide, the upcoming rains and floods will quickly take out that patchwork.

You most have had a very sheltered work life :)

Its mos of the time quiet, then they work for some days then its quiet again. I rent there, so I do know whats going on, or not. However the rest of the road is more or less finished. So as soon as they are don with the part between the JBC Condos the youths will have a very long strip to test there tuned Motorbikes. Would be a good Idea to have a Ambulance stationed at JBC to scratch some Brainparts of the road later on..... :D

Its mos of the time quiet, then they work for some days then its quiet again. I rent there, so I do know whats going on, or not. However the rest of the road is more or less finished. So as soon as they are don with the part between the JBC Condos the youths will have a very long strip to test there tuned Motorbikes. Would be a good Idea to have a Ambulance stationed at JBC to scratch some Brainparts of the road later on..... :D

You need to go to Charon Specticles .I will say no more . :D

Been watching too many of the "Should have gone to Specsaver" add's? :D

Anyone heard of the where the proposed monorail route will pass through Jomtien eventually?

Apparently it will end up at the Chaiyapreuk stadium or therabouts, and will connect to the main Pattaya beach circle monorail when completed, if it ever happens!

I believe it is supposed to follow the 2nd road route through part of Jomtien at least.

Just been told it will be built by 2014, but bit of a pipe dream methinks!

Anyone heard of the where the proposed monorail route will pass through Jomtien eventually?

Apparently it will end up at the Chaiyapreuk stadium or therabouts, and will connect to the main Pattaya beach circle monorail when completed, if it ever happens!

I believe it is supposed to follow the 2nd road route through part of Jomtien at least.

As soon as they put all the cables under the earth at Pattaya Beach Rd. they will start with the Monorail. Think that will be .... forget it, they first have to break up the Bahtbus Society, or all the monorails will be made of converted Bahtbuses, so dont hold your breath.

Edited by CHdiver

As soon as they put all the cables under the earth at Pattaya Beach Rd. they will start with the Monorail. Think that will be .... forget it, they first have to break up the Bahtbus Society, or all the monorails will be made of converted Bahtbuses, so dont hold your breath.

I kinda like that idea of a load of old bahtbuses clunking along a monorail track, saves costs, & you could still hang of the back of them when you're pissed.

Problem would be when the front carriage charges 100baht to pattaya & one in the middle is 150baht....

Did some research & came up with the governments plan, which of course is right on track....

[ 1/15/2009 12:00:00 AM] Monorail planned for Pattaya

Monorail planned for Pattaya

Mayor admits the resort cannot solve traffic problems by building more roads.

Monorail project is in the pipeline that should help ultimately to reduce traffic jams in Pattaya. The project valued at Bt4 billion would take at least four years to complete after it is approved by government.

Pattaya city mayor Itthiphol Kunplome said he was pushing the monorail project and estimated it would open by 2014

Mr Itthiphol said Pattaya was struggling with traffic congestion and it was impossible to build more roads in the main resort area. The rail system would be the best solution he said and long-term would become a tourist attraction.

The plan calls for three rail lines:

Red Line: 11 km, running from City Hall passing North Pattaya, South Pattaya, Bali Hai Cape, Jomtien and ending at Chaiyapruek Stadium

Green Line: 8.6 km, running from City Hall to Pattaya Railway Station and ending at Krating Lai Beach

Yellow Line: 7.5 km, running from Central Pattaya passing 2nd Pattaya Street, South Pattaya and Sukhumvit Road.

• Like 1

There will be VERY LITTLE progress.... If you watch them, they pour the concrete manholes, then they go back and dig them up with a jackhammer, pour them again, then dig them up, until on about the fourth or fifth try, they finally get it right.

Talk about 4th world infrastructure.

• 3 weeks later...

I did not go to any Optician, however I have to say they really are working now constantly for quiet a long time every Day. This after they had something like a 2 Day on and 2 weeks of Schedule for months. So I have to apologize to you Thaifan2 :jap:

Now let`s hope they finish this part soon.

I did not go to any Optician, however I have to say they really are working now constantly for quiet a long time every Day. This after they had something like a 2 Day on and 2 weeks of Schedule for months. So I have to apologize to you Thaifan2 :jap:

Now let`s hope they finish this part soon.

Thats the way .I will be back down in JBC TOWARDS THE END OF NEXT MONTH .Hope they keep up the pace . :jap:

Monorail ....you have to be joking right ?

I did read it was going to have a top speed of 15km......and make umpteen stops.....now that is about 1/3rd the speed of a Scooter/Motorbike through the town....So how can this help "speed up" traffic and personell movements through Pattaya.

Monorail....Pipedream / White Elephant more like.

"Mr Itthiphol said Pattaya was struggling with traffic congestion and it was impossible to build more roads in the main resort area. The rail system would be the best solution he said and long-term would become a tourist attraction. "

Yes, it's impossilbe to build any more roads, but how about enforcing non-parking areas, clearing the non-rented rental motorcycles clogging up Beach Rd, making sure tour buses don't stop in the middle of the road to allow passengers to unload, clearing some lanes of stalls and preventing bar owners hogging parking spots with pieces of furniture etc etc etc...one can only dream.

By the way, I have never chosen any holidays on the basis of the destination having a rail system!!! And I have never met anyone who has.