Phuket Looks Gloomily To The Future -tourist Chief

george

It is a great place to be at the moment, less traffic, less people and a laid back attitude..  Phuket in the low season is the best time to visit.

100% agreed.. climate is a nice break from stonking hot.. Your favorite bar stool is usually available.. Bar owners are happy as ###### to see you again and keen to keep you there.. Girl interest factor is way way up there and do thier best to ensure repeaters.. Closing times have been given leeway that anyone can drink round the clock if they so choose..

Some loss of girls but much more loss of punters.. Stunners abound in dragon agogo and the higher traffic bars (usual disco FL's looking good too)...

All in all the last month or so have been having a ball..

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems to me that it should be International tourists that they should be aiming at persuading to come back... especially those who's culture doesn't hold the same VERY strong Thai/Asian feelings about ghosts and the spirits of the dead.

The Thai's and Asians will not change their cultural feelings.... it will take years for them to consider returning to Phuket etc.

ChrisP

Edited by ChrisP

Seems to me that it should be International tourists that they should be aiming at persuading to come back... especially those who's culture doesn't hold the same VERY strong Thai/Asian feelings about ghosts and the spirits of the dead.

The Thai's and Asians will not change their cultural feelings....  it will take years for them to consider returning to Phuket etc.

ChrisP

Did the rounds in Patong last night and have to say was quite pleased with what I seen ! Beach road was looking fairly busy (beneath all the Tuk-Tuks), lights where on in Banana Disco looking like it was getting ready to open. Beach front restaurants looking very busy, Savoey (beach road corner of Bangla) was full ! Laimai Beach with probably the best live band in Patong was booming, barely any tables left !

Bangla looking good, top marks goes to who decided to close off the road from each end preventing cars & bikes going down there, created a nice "walking street" atmosphere !

Lots of Asians, saw a big pile of Japs pour out of Thara Patong on Soi Seapearl, must have been at least a dozen in one particular group. Weren’t exactly looking paranoid or looking over there backs as if something was going to jump on them !! :o

Hearing that a few hotels are taking a lot of bookings for July & August so numbers is looking good.

Drove round the back entrance to Jungcylon via Bangla road, very impressive and can really see the magnitude of the place from this side, cant wait for this place to open !! Looks like the market section will be opening very soon, shops where being fitted out with some open already ! There was also some serious Buddha ritual going down there last too, lots of orange and gold with prayers bellowing out !

Was pretty cool to watch for a while ! :D

The Thai's and Asians will not change their cultural feelings....  it will take years for them to consider returning to Phuket etc.

ChrisP

Drove round the back entrance to Jungcylon via Bangla road....

Sorry, I meant Nanai Road :o

ChrisP

Did the rounds in Patong last night and have to say was quite pleased with what I seen ! Beach road was looking fairly busy (beneath all the Tuk-Tuks), lights where on in Banana Disco looking like it was getting ready to open. Beach front restaurants looking very busy, Savoey (beach road corner of Bangla) was full ! Laimai Beach with probably the best live band in Patong was booming, barely any tables left !

Bangla looking good, top marks goes to who decided to close off the road from each end preventing cars & bikes going down there, created a nice "walking street" atmosphere !

Lots of Asians, saw a big pile of Japs pour out of Thara Patong on Soi Seapearl, must have been at least a dozen in one particular group. Weren’t exactly looking paranoid or looking over there backs as if something was going to jump on them !! :o

Hearing that a few hotels are taking a lot of bookings for July & August so numbers is looking good.

Drove round the back entrance to Jungcylon via Bangla road, very impressive and can really see the magnitude of the place from this side, cant wait for this place to open !! Looks like the market section will be opening very soon, shops where being fitted out with some open already ! There was also some serious Buddha ritual going down there last too, lots of orange and gold with prayers bellowing out !

Was pretty cool to watch for a while ! :D

Wow... sounds like the Phuket Tourism Association should hire you and fire their president who was interviewed for Channel News Asia on a deserted beach and spent 10 minutes outlining how dreadfully empty the whole island is.

Have been in contact with friends who live in Phuket. They all say it's very, very quiet for this time of year.

Will be back in a few days to see for myself. Anyway, I like peace and quiet.

Chalong, Rawai, Kata, Karon, Bangtao, etc are all very, very quiet. Patong (which represents the core of Phukets tourism) although not exactly booming is surprisingly busy and operating as normal.

It is our duty as permanent and semi permanent residents (yes that includes you Sirburr) to ensure that we dont misinform the public by giving out the wrong signal.

The likes of the BBC, CNN & Co. have done enough of that for us already !

OK, I know this sounds radical but it really isn't.

Phuket is going to have a problem with Asians including Thais for years to come because of ghosts. Who knows, maybe they have a point.

The Europeans won't be lured back for years unless the rates are cut severely, because people do respond to bargains, but clearly with land price and investment prices so high, businesses can't give it away forever.

The answer, and I fully expect Thai Tourism to ignore this, is the gay market.

Openly welcome and openly advertise for the gay market using government resources, and they will come. Cities and resorts all over the world have done this with great success. Even in as mundane an attraction as Philadelphia Pennsylvania.

Such efforts in Montreal Canada have reaped dramatic results in increased tourism.

Build this up for about five years, and it will then be seen as very trendy to visit Phuket again for all people.

Yes, I know many gay people already live in and visit Phuket. However, to get at greater numbers of this high spending demographic, active promotion and an official government welcome is needed. Gay people ain't scared of no ghosts!

Edited by Thaiquila

It is our duty as permanent and semi permanent residents (yes that includes you Sirburr) to ensure that we dont misinform the public by giving out the wrong signal.

We also owe it not to come out with propaganda. Everybody, including the government is saying it's quiet. You seem to be the only voice in the wildernes with your unbounded, baseless optimism.

Still remember your "pity the poor tuk-tuk drivers, they are being forced by nasty men to rip you off" post. Then, when three long term residents "dared" to say that wasn't so, you "ordered" us off your island.

Sorry, but after that post, you lost all credibility in my eyes.

The only duty I have is to me and mine, so, lay off with the lectures.

Edited by Sir Burr

We also owe it not to come out with propaganda. Everybody, including the government is saying it's quiet. You seem to be the only voice in the wildernes with your unbounded, baseless optimism.

Still remember your "pity the poor tuk-tuk drivers, they are being forced by nasty men to rip you off" post. Then, when three long term residents "dared" to say that wasn't so, you "ordered" us off your island.

Sorry, but after that post, you lost all credibility in my eyes.

The only duty I have is to me and mine, so, lay off with the lectures.

Oh I see, so this is why Sirburr's remarks tend to be in disagreement with my posts. So its a personal thing, and heres me thinking you were one of those negative wingers ! :D

I remember now, your were the one who was spreading over-exagerated trash about Tuk-Tuk drivers beating people up with lumps of wood ! I knew there was something but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it !

Oh dear, we do have some sensitive people on here dont we ! :o

Sheltered life indeed... Its well known in Patong that the TukTuk's simply consider themselves a law unto themself...

If you want somone roughed up who offers the lowest price service ?? You want somwhere smashed up who performs this ??? For collection menaces etc etc etc.. all can be done via the Tuk Tuk crowd..

Notorious for kicking off for little reason...

The idea its an innocent driver having to tow the line to pay off the big boss is complete imagination.. Otherwise why would they not be taking these 50 baht pickups when no one is watching or from Nanai etc when on thier own..

Well guys, my congratulations goes out to you all, unfortunately you will have to share the prize of the wooden spoon amongst each other !!!

Its people like you who give this island a bad name, at a time when Phuket needs its tourists to come back you have to put your over-exagerted cr*p on the net ! You should take your "common stories" elsewhere off the island, maybe out of Thailand as your negative rubbish is not wanted, as if the industry is not damaged enough !!!

As for you Mr. Angry long timers who have forgotten the meaning of "jai yen" my guess is you probably deserve it, after 20 years seeing the same miserable farang squabbling over 20 baht I would be reaching for a lump of wood too !!!

Here again, for the pleasure of the reading public is your shrill, hysterical reply which I found patronizing and insulting.

Is it any wonder that I can't take you seriously.

PS. I love the "Jai yen" bit 55555.

Edited by Sir Burr

Niche marketing to gays and other groups prob could work.

The nett of it is the Phuket operators are going to have to deeply discount,they can afford it,to try and lure the Euros back,the Aussies from Bali etc.

By that I dont mean token lowering of Landing fees etc...that doesnt get passed on the the consumer who is going to weigh up risk of another wave vs a bargain holiday etc.

Smart operators need to be creating outstanding value packages and keeping their rooms full and trying to make margin ops from value added services such as spas,food and bev,tours etc.

Basicly Phuket had ridden high on the hog for an average experience for too long.

Pattaya will own the sex tourist market with its plethora of nice new hotels charging under 1k baht a night.

Samui is enjoying the people who used to go to Phuket now.

Time they stopped whingeing and got their marketing strategy into gear.

Sheltered life indeed... Its well known in Patong that the TukTuk's simply consider themselves a law unto themself...

If you want somone roughed up who offers the lowest price service ?? You want somwhere smashed up who performs this ??? For collection menaces etc etc etc.. all can be done via the Tuk Tuk crowd..

Notorious for kicking off for little reason...

The idea its an innocent driver having to tow the line to pay off the big boss is complete imagination.. Otherwise why would they not be taking these 50 baht pickups when no one is watching or from Nanai etc when on thier own..

Well guys, my congratulations goes out to you all, unfortunately you will have to share the prize of the wooden spoon amongst each other !!!

Its people like you who give this island a bad name, at a time when Phuket needs its tourists to come back you have to put your over-exagerted cr*p on the net ! You should take your "common stories" elsewhere off the island, maybe out of Thailand as your negative rubbish is not wanted, as if the industry is not damaged enough !!!

As for you Mr. Angry long timers who have forgotten the meaning of "jai yen" my guess is you probably deserve it, after 20 years seeing the same miserable farang squabbling over 20 baht I would be reaching for a lump of wood too !!!

Here again, for the pleasure of the reading public is your shrill, hysterical reply which I found patronizing and insulting.

Is it any wonder that I can't take you seriously.

PS. I love the "Jai yen" bit 55555.

Like I care that you dont take me serious ! You have nothing good to say about Phuket, your posts are all of the negative nature and you will even jump on anyone who has anything positive to say !

You posted negative & potentially damaging remarks which to which someone replied in a manner you didnt like, get over it ! Not everyone wishes to join you in your negative world.

If Phuket is as miserable as people like you make out then why do you continue coming back ? Actually, I dont want to hear the reply !

Case closed !

Ooooooooo! Stamp your little foot and declare "case closed" 555555

Take a blue pill and try to understand the meaning of Jai Yen, you'll burst a blood vessel at this rate.

Grow up kid.

The only post I can remember being negative with regard to Phuket, was the tuk-tuk drivers, and I think I'm in the majority to say that there is nothing positive to say about tuk-tuk drivers.

Edited by Sir Burr

Niche marketing to gays  and other groups prob could work.

The nett of it is the Phuket operators are going to have to deeply discount,they can afford it,to try and lure the Euros back,the Aussies from Bali etc.

By that I dont mean token lowering of Landing fees etc...that doesnt get passed on the the consumer who is going to weigh up risk of another wave  vs a bargain holiday etc.

Smart operators need to be creating outstanding value packages and keeping their rooms full and trying to make margin ops from value added services such as spas,food and bev,tours etc.

Basicly Phuket had ridden high on the hog for an average experience for too long.

Pattaya will own the sex tourist market with its plethora of nice new hotels charging under 1k baht a night.

Samui is enjoying the people who used to go to Phuket now.

Time they stopped whingeing and got their marketing strategy into gear.

The gay market is something that the authorities have already looked at, starting with Asia’s biggest gay festival being held in Phuket during 4th - 6th of November.

Im pretty sure that Phuket will not be turning to the sex tourist to dig them out of trouble, the LT goal for Phuket has always been to steer away from this market and will remain to do so.

Even through hard times Phuket does not want the 1K a night sex pest ! :o

I have been to Phuket 4 times in the last 2 months on business, and anyone who says it's back to normal is deluded.

Patong seafront is a building site, half the shops are closed down, lots of the restaurants have closed along the seafront, and many of the beer bars in the smaller sois are closed.

I've been in both Samui and Pattaya in the last few weeks and both places are busy, and there's far more girls around in Samui than ever before, infact it's the busiest i've ever seen it this time of year.

Karon and Kata were even quieter, I have to say the whole Island felt rather depressing, i'm going back there next week, no doubt it'll be even quieter.

I love Phuket, but really cannot see anything for the tourist there at the moment. If your a whorist, you'll have much more fun in Pattaya.

If you like things a bit more upmarket Samui is the place. I'm convined this Tsunami is going to speed up developement on Samui very quickly. My last few trips to the Island I have been very impressed, some very nice new hotels and restaruants, and now a few bars that could rival those in Bangkok for style and music.

I think Phuket will take a few years to get over this, in the meantime my prediction is Samui will grow into Thailands most popular high end tourist destination.

I have been to Phuket 4 times in the last 2 months on business, and anyone who says it's back to normal is deluded.

Patong seafront is a building site, half the shops are closed down, lots of the restaurants have closed along the seafront, and many of the beer bars in the smaller sois are closed. 

I've been in both Samui and Pattaya in the last few weeks and both places are busy, and there's far more girls around in Samui than ever before, infact it's the busiest i've ever seen it this time of year.

Karon and Kata were even quieter, I have to say the whole Island felt rather depressing, i'm going back there next week, no doubt it'll be even quieter.

I love Phuket, but really cannot see anything for the tourist there at the moment.  If your a whorist, you'll have much more fun in Pattaya. 

If you like things a bit more upmarket Samui is the place.  I'm convined this Tsunami is going to speed up developement on Samui very quickly.  My last few trips to the Island I have been very impressed, some very nice new hotels and restaruants, and now a few bars that could rival those in Bangkok for style and music. 

I think Phuket will take a few years to get over this, in the meantime my prediction is Samui will grow into Thailands most popular high end tourist destination.

Patong sea front is not a building site :o , ofcourse there is some building work going on, but 90% of the businesses are open. Ofcourse there are not that many tourists here at the moment, but after a Tsunami and the yearly low season, why would there be.

If I was going on holiday, Phuket would appeal to me - its quiet... :D

The gay market and the gay sex tourist market are NOT the same thing!

I understand people who make that mistake, but just as there are "respectable" heterosexual tourists in Thailand, there are also the same with gays, and these types don't want anything to do with Pattaya.

This is the high spending niche I am talking about. I am not saying they are not interested in sex, but this market would be more interested in activities like tours, snorkeling, fine dining, shopping, and spa treatments. In other words, just what the doctor ordered.

I'm sorry, but there is no way 9/10 businesses are back up and running. I don't know the statistics, but it certainly isn't 90%. There's still lots of buildings that should be pulled down, plenty more that still need repairing, also there's many of the shops on the beach road havn't been repaired, the owners obviously were not insured.

Obviously the people of Phuket want people back, and they need people back, but I wouldn't advise any of my friends to go there right now, not if it's a holiday. Fine if you live here, but if you've only got two weeks Samui is a much better choise at the moment. For those that visit regulary i'm sure you wanna go to Phuket, but in my eyes for a first time visitor, at the moment Phuket is depressing to say the least, lets hope the high season brings in some tourists. From what i'm hearing from friends who have resorts in Phuket though the booking arn't coming in for next high season, and they should be coming in by now. Very worrying! :o

Edited by womble

I have been to Phuket 4 times in the last 2 months on business, and anyone who says it's back to normal is deluded.......

I'm sorry, but there is no way 9/10 businesses are back up and running.  I don't know the statistsic, but it certainly isn't 90%.  There's still lots of buildings that should be pulled down, pleanty more that still need repairing, then there's, many of the shops on the beach road havn't been repaired, the owners obviously were not insured......

Well the Patong Beach Road I walked down just the other day was 90% up & running. :o

Womble you say you have been here 4 times in the last 2 months, when exactly was your last visit ? The reason I ask is that there has recently been a lot of business's open literally in the last couple of weeks, this was a surprise for me too, hence the reason for my update on here.

I have been to Phuket 4 times in the last 2 months on business, and anyone who says it's back to normal is deluded.......

I'm sorry, but there is no way 9/10 businesses are back up and running.  I don't know the statistsic, but it certainly isn't 90%.  There's still lots of buildings that should be pulled down, pleanty more that still need repairing, then there's, many of the shops on the beach road havn't been repaired, the owners obviously were not insured......

Well the Patong Beach Road I walked down just the other day was 90% up & running. :o

Womble you say you have been here 4 times in the last 2 months, when exactly was your last visit ? The reason I ask is that there has recently been a lot of business's open literally in the last couple of weeks, this was a surprise for me too, hence the reason for my update on here.

I'm sorry, but there is no way 9/10 businesses are back up and running.

You complete muppet... (!) Where exactly were you??? I've been to Phuket a # of times recently and it sounds like you're just watching re-hashed Televised sensationalist crap frankly. :D

Obviously the people of Phuket want people back, and they need people back, but I wouldn't advise any of my friends to go there right now, not if it's a holiday.  Fine if you live here, but if you've only got two weeks Samui is a much better choise at the moment.  For those that visit regulary i'm sure you wanna go to Phuket, but in my eyes for a first time visitor, at the moment Phuket is depressing to say the least, lets hope the high season brings in some tourists.  From what i'm hearing from friends who have resorts in Phuket though the booking arn't coming in for next high season, and they should be coming in by now.  Very worrying! :D

NO, but actually, YOUR erroneous comments ARE worrying in that they personify perpetuating bullshit which put people off whom DON'T KNOW anything (spread by people like you whom obviouslt DON'T know ANYTHING) but what they see rehashed from old sensationlist TV so-called NEWs. This is probably my harshest post since I joined this board and as much as it's not my nature to rebutt some innocent comment, YOUR comments seemed worthy (in a worthless way).

I love Phuket, but really cannot see anything for the tourist there at the moment.  If your a whorist, you'll have much more fun in Pattaya.  

High end tourist, like yerself I assume?? Happy whoring, I doubt Phuket will miss YOU :o:D

Your new nick is now WOBBLE in my humble opinion.

FINAL EDIT, the very way to assist the resilient community spirit and the people of Phuket, is quite simply by visiting. They don't need hand outs! Simply need to move forward and by visiting, that's the best way to show your support and go home knowing you contributed, thereby had a personally rewarding and unique vacation. Is this so hard to comprehend??? Nuff said. :D

Edited by bahtandsold

For the Umteenth time.....There are fewer farang than in a long time, mabey since fall and winter of '01 (9/11 problem) I've made many a post that have been well received and authenticated byh some residents. As I mentioned before there is a BIG drop in the Asian visitors ion Patong and that means the LB's are on the hurt. ETc ETC Now is a great time to visit Patong. LateStays.com has great deals and all the other various menues are negotiable. That being said it is not the time to take undue advantage of the plight of Patong. there are those whom I have had the displeasure of over using the currenct upper hand of the farang but these chear charlies will be sorry cause those people will have a long memory for those who show their kindness at this time!

As to the Up and running issue....Beach Road is nearly back between Soin Sea Pearl and Soi Bangla....more sparce as you go south and very poor from theSea Pearl Hotel (south end) to the end of beach road.....the South end is wack and no sign of much construction. The old Crissy Village is on the rebuild as the Pawatee someting???? across from the Thara Patong. Phuket Cabans are on the very slow mend and the big project on second road just south of Bangla is at a total stop! Now......How much longer can those upscale shops in the nedw Central stay open....No Asian Customer....Central was nearly empty.

Edited by LotNoiKop

Central will always be emptyish, why would a Thai person shop in Central, when they can buy the same items cheaper in every other shopping area?

Central is a joke! I can not find a shop in the centre where I can buy a shirt to fit me - unless its a button up business shirt.

The cinema is good though, I went there yesterday with the MRS to see Mr and Mrs Smith - the VIP seats (sofa) was great.

I agree with Baht&Sold in his semi tyrade against womble, it sounds like womble has another axe to grind, for reasons he only knows.

Phuket went through a Tsunami people, ofcourse it takes time to rebuild, regroup and get back to times before, but it is still a beautiful place. I am enjoying less traffic, less crowded bars, less people in general and what else would you be looking for in a holiday? - it makes perfect sense to see Phuket now in my opinion.

BTW, I do not cater to the tourist market, so I have nothing to gain by my posts, it just makes good sense to me, to let people know Phuket is open, alive and less crowded than ever.

Samui is also great, but as this is a Phuket forum, lets discuss Phuket.

Central will always be emptyish, why would a Thai person shop in Central, when they can buy the same items cheaper in every other shopping area?

Central is a joke! I can not find a shop in the centre where I can buy a shirt to fit me - unless its a button up business shirt.

The cinema is good though, I went there yesterday with the MRS to see Mr and Mrs Smith - the VIP seats (sofa) was great.

I agree with Baht&Sold in his semi tyrade against womble, it sounds like womble has another axe to grind, for reasons he only knows.

Phuket went through a Tsunami people, ofcourse it takes time to rebuild, regroup and get back to times before, but it is still a beautiful place. I am enjoying less traffic, less crowded bars, less people in general and what else would you be looking for in a holiday? - it makes perfect sense to see Phuket now in my opinion.

BTW, I do not cater to the tourist market, so I have nothing to gain by my posts, it just makes good sense to me, to let people know Phuket is open, alive and less crowded than ever.

Samui is also great, but as this is a Phuket forum, lets discuss Phuket.

AT LAST. The BBC has somewhat redeemed itself in my eyes. There was a report last night commemorating 6 months after the Tsunami that protrayed Phuket in a far more positive light, ie busy, vibrant beach at Patong, daytime punters milling around Bangla and a general feeling of optimism. May not be 100% accurate but at least it was positive reporting. Surely that will help attract punters if not now, but for their plans later in the year rather than the same shots of dogs sniffing around rubbish tips or that usual one of the 2 empty beach chairs with the empty ocean backdrop. (They even took time out to focus on the plight of the wretched souls up in Ban Nam Kem who are having difficulty resettling because of the violent threats from the land grabbing b##t##ds)

Good Luck to all you TVers who are directly involved with the tourist industry, hang in there.

TORNADO re shirts at Central ...... lose some weight, you big git !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only Joking !!

My business takes me to many parts of Asia, i'm not a tourist, and I think the reaction by Baht and Sold was a bit over the top. I merely stated what I saw from my own eyes, not what I saw from TV. :o

I'll have to go back there again eigher this week or next week, and will have a more detailed look at things, and just how many of the businesses in Patong are actually open as 'normal' again. It's been about two weeks since I was last there, so if lots of new stuff has opened in the last two weeks, thats good news. :D

From my last vist I agree with what Lotnoikop says, around the Bangla area things have been mostly rebuilt, but the further you get away from that area, the worse things get. Also I noticed alot of the businesses on the smaller sois running off beach road were closed due to damage, and didn't it look like much buiding was going on.

I stand by what I said, when I was last there, certainly much less than 90% of businesses were operating as normal. I will be back soon, and will be ready to rivise that figure, but on my last visit around two weeks ago, it was definatley far lower.