A Good Therapeutic Massage Thread

wynzlo

There were a couple massage threads recently where I hoped to find some recommendations for new places to try. It seemed like other members were hoping to find the same, but unfortunately these threads never made it beyond talking about 1 or 2 places.

There are tons of massage shops in Chiang Mai and they're certainly not all made the same. Let's pool the TV member experiences and come up with a list of favorites.

Note: This is about therapeutic massage. Info about "special" massage options should be posted elsewhere.

To keep it consistent, let's stick to the list format:

1) Name

2) Location

3) Type (Thai style, oil, foot etc.)

4) Price

5) Comments

Edited by wynzlo

I'll start with a place I've been a few times now...

1) "Health Massage" (not sure if it's the real name)

2) Corner of Ratchadamnoen and Ratchapakinai (Wawee Coffee), inside the little terrace area, across from the Italian restaurant

3) Foot massage

4) 150B / hour

5) The older women here give one mean foot massage, with the punching and pounding I look for. My friend says she's had some less-than-tough massages here from some of the newer/younger ladies. Might be wise to specify your level of torture upon arrival. The shop is open-air, so there's no air-con, but it's nice after a dinner at one of the neighboring restaurants.

1. I forget the name :)

2. Loi Khro across from Cherry bar and next to Dragonfly bar

3. All styles

4. 1 hour oil massage 250b

5. Very nice place, don't let the location scare you or mislead you, you won't get what you get next door here (except a beer if you want). All the ladies that work here are certified and give good massages, personally I normally have an oil massage which is why i can remember the price. Most of them also speak enough English so you can get comfortable massage.

It is my experience that recommending shops is almost worthless. In general, it is really about the individual who does the massage, rather than the shop itself. I go to a bunch of different places, but it is rare that there are more than one or two experts in each place - even with a lot of staff. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Maripaun Beauty Salon and Massage

Maejo Road-6.5 km from Meechok Plaza on right side of road heading towards Maejo University, between Wawee Coffee and driveway to muban Wang Bua Thong

Thai therapeutic massage-120 bht/hr.

Oil massage-250 bht/hr.

Foot massage-80 bht/hr.

Two masseuses, Allie and Newt, who are both middle age and very experienced. Will give massage as strong as customer wants. Both have helped me greatly with herniated disk problem, rotator cuff also. Both very friendly and so is owner Marisa.

Phone number- 0852849118

I do not know as never ask but dont believe any "extras" at this shop. Very serious and old fashion about Buddha here and sometimes shop closed on Buddhist holidays., but otherwise open every day. Good idea to call first and make appointment but can walk in and they also give good haircut. Sometimes man comes and get massage while wife/gf gets hair done.

3. All styles

5. Very nice place, don't let the location scare you or mislead you, you won't get what you get next door here (except a beer if you want). All the ladies that work here are certified and give good massages, personally I normally have an oil massage which is why i can remember the price. Most of them also speak enough English so you can get comfortable massage.

Ulysses is absolutely right and this is a case in point. I always look for new places so at one point I went there (don't remember the name either but the location gives it away).

This was the only massage I have actually ever walked away from. The massage was very strong yet also very unskilled which is at best very unpleasant and at worst can cause problems. It was just terrible. I just said i had to go and left.... I paid of course i have manners.

But I am pretty sure that particular lady doesn't work there anymore, and others might just be wonderful.

Home massage on loi kroh has a number of excellent therapists and great foot massage. But as above not all of them are great so you stick with one you like.

It is my experience that recommending shops is almost worthless. In general, it is really about the individual who does the massage, rather than the shop itself. I go to a bunch of different places, but it is rare that there are more than one or two experts in each place - even with a lot of staff. :)

That's a good point, individuals masseurs at a single shop can vary quite a bit. However, if someone has gone to a place a number of times, had a number of good experiences with different masseurs, and enjoys the setting there, I think it's worth a recommendation.

It's kind of like saying there's no point in recommending restaurants because they have have some dishes that are amazing and some that aren't as good.

3. All styles

Ulysses is absolutely right and this is a case in point. I always look for new places so at one point I went there (don't remember the name either but the location gives it away).

This was the only massage I have actually ever walked away from. The massage was very strong yet also very unskilled which is at best very unpleasant and at worst can cause problems. It was just terrible. I just said i had to go and left.... I paid of course i have manners.

But I am pretty sure that particular lady doesn't work there anymore, and others might just be wonderful.

Home massage on loi kroh has a number of excellent therapists and great foot massage. But as above not all of them are great so you stick with one you like.

I'm a fan of "Home" massage too. No funny stuff, just a great massage. Oil is 250b for 1 hour or 400 for 2. The therapist I use is named Sunny. Mrs Pikey likes their Thai massage too which is saying something as she's a fussy b*gger when it comes to massage.

Home is on the left if you are heading down Loi Kroh towards the night bazaar. On the left, next to a temple and not too far back from the Kamphengdin Rd crossroads. There is Home 1 and Home 2 next to each other. I always use Home 1.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Over many years I've been to many good places including the blind massage, old medicine hospital and more recently Maripaun as recommended by Tomahawk. All good places that give good massages at reasonable prices. My favourite though is Leelawadee round the corner from the end of soi 3 kaewnawarat road just in front of floral condo. Both ladies know what they are doing, and I've received my best massages here. Foot or body massage costs 150 baht per hour and the place is air conditioned.

And again just to reinforce the issue of variable quality .... I have also been to Home Massage 1 several times - after reading about it here in fact. I tried three different ladies and got a very good, a good/acceptable, and a below average/never again massage.

One of the best Thai massage therapists around here though is - luckily - my mother-in-law who had a shop near Thapae but now just does some regulars and occassional call-outs to other shops. :) onya mum

I often have injury, pulls twists etc, from bowling or golf and we have a lady who comes to our house by appointment and I can safely say she is the best I have ever come across rapidly "fixing" the various ailments.

Ings healing massage

:):D :D

Email me at ..... for contact info and directions

In the San Sai area off 118 near the Shell Station

Fees

Thai massage 160B for one hour or 300B for two hours

Oil massage 200B for one hour and 360B for two hours

Strictly non sexual

Certified by the Thai Ministry of Education

Experienced trained professional

I've found none better than Ajarn Sinchai Sukparset located just a few blocks north of Chang Puak Gate at 50/1 Chang Puak Road. He does excellent therapy massage, albeit not too cheap at 400 B per hour. By appointment only 086-924-3210. He can cure what ails you. Website at sinchaimassage dotcom.

I've found none better than Ajarn Sinchai Sukparset located just a few blocks north of Chang Puak Gate at 50/1 Chang Puak Road. He does excellent therapy massage, albeit not too cheap at 400 B per hour. By appointment only 086-924-3210. He can cure what ails you. Website at sinchaimassage dotcom.

Another thread (previously) mentioned a place on the Mae Rim Road (???I think) which was excellent for therapeutic massage. Does anyone know who this was?

I often have injury, pulls twists etc, from bowling or golf and we have a lady who comes to our house by appointment and I can safely say she is the best I have ever come across rapidly "fixing" the various ailments.

Care to provide a phone number along with rates?

A question about oil massage......is there an oil that can be used that washes off easily [water soluable]. I like both the Thai massage, but occasionaly oil but have always found that the oil they use is so sticky that it doesn't come off in shower and it stays on my all day after.

If someone could recomend an oil, would it be rude to bring my own??

...is there an oil that can be used that washes off easily??

yes, that's one of the things I don't like about oil massage in LOS - it's usually the nastiest, cheapest no-name "baby oil" available - which I think is petroleum based. Especially uncomfortable when it's hot and muggy weather. I assume you can buy quality natural oils - like apricot kernel oil - in the right shops (suggestions anyone?). Even coconut oil would - i imagine - wash off more easily.

Another thread (previously) mentioned a place on the Mae Rim Road (???I think) which was excellent for therapeutic massage. Does anyone know who this was?

the OP of that thread was Tomahawk (sp?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently travelled to Bangkok and went to two different massage shops for therapeutic massage but was disappointed even though one was quite expensive and highly rated. I was glad to get back to Chiang Mai and Maripaun salon and now I am pain free again. Incidentally for people who have been there in past it is now quite improved with new beds, air con and fan room. Fortunately they have same masseuses. I am surprised small shop like this has better massage than high priced Bangkok massage. However it is good to get a good deal once in a while.

Enough promotion for this specific massagesalon, Tomahawk... wink.gif

I tried different massagesalons and I have become a big fan of Blindmassageschool. It is very basic, only fan, and 2 large spaces with several matrasses. No Spa-entourage with music, flowers etc etc. But their touch is different, they are more focused. What I also like is no distraction from tv, mobiles and chatting is very limited (mostly by customers) I have never seen a foreigner there btw.

I had 3 different female massagetherapists and they were all good. The massages has been consistent.

Their English is a bit limited though, if you want to explain your discomforts, it would be handy if you know a few words in Thai (like: pain, gentle, hard, little bit, more)

As for the oilmassages in general: bring your own oil, coconut oil doesn't leave a sticky layer on the skin.

Wandering a bit off topic, I'm curious about experiences with masseuses of the oposite sex. I've only had massage by females and am very comfortable with them. Some are better than others, but I don't ever feel uncomfortable with them touching me anywhere (non-sexual), but I feel it would be weird to have a male doing the same. I'm not sure I'd be able to relax as much with a male masseuse. Of course, I prefer my wife to be massaged by a woman, but that's different - right?

I really think it depends on the person. I personally believe getting a massage from the other sexe is 'confusing', because there is a natural (sexual) tension between a man and a woman. This could disturb the therapeutic effect. But as I found out, it all depends on the interaction between the giver and receiver of the massage.

The funny thing is, we are all used to be touched by a woman, our mother was the first one. I can imagine that it would feel less natural for a man to be massaged by a man (if not gay) Also because men are not used to be touched in a gentle, intimate way by an other man.

And your preference for a female massagetherapist for your wife ...means you don't want to share her with an other man!!! biggrin.gif

I apologize for all the advertisement for salon but I do this as service. I was in very extreme pain at one time. I could not get in or out of car and walked with a stick. My wife had to help me put my shoes on. I went to doctors and had MRI and they suggest surgery. I was always active person and was a martial arts competitor and instructor and was told I could never engage in any sports again. I was given 3 types of medication which only made me tired. After trying different massage places I found this massage salon which has relieved my pain to the point where I can now do everything which I did before injury, so I give this information to others who may have similar suffering. I am sure there are many many fine massage places which could do same thing. I only mnetion this one because this is my experience and would be glad to hear from others who have been helped at various massage shops.

The blind massage in santitam sorry if i got the spelling wrong there is 2 good guys that work there chai wat and nom very very good and painful but thats the way i like my massages .

it's 100 baht an hour for fan room and i think 130 for an air con room .

Go past central going towards the city turn left at the first traffic lights just before you get to the little bridge turn left before it when you get up to the round a bout take the third exit look for the yellow sign on your left hand side.

There is a place in mae rim i also know that help disabled people try to walk again it has a sauna there also and is in the middle of a field very relaxing sauna is 100 baht and massage 150 for an hour.

if anyone wants details of the mae rim one just pm me as its quite difficult to explain.