Theft Alert: Phuket Minibus Drivers

Robroy

On May 29 I got a minibus from Karon Beach to Ao Nang. The company was ....... Tours.

At our first stop - a hotel pick-up a few minutes from Karon - I noticed the driver was taking a long time to 'organise the luggage' at the back. I peered over the back of the back seat. He had unzipped someone's bag, which his hand was deep inside - rifling it.

He jumped about two feet when he saw my face, zipped up the bag, & frantically pretended to be 'arranging the luggage'.

This was the 7.50am ....... Tours minibus from the Paradise Inn at Karon. The bus was marked '.................' on the front window.

The driver was an older guy of about 60, dyed black hair. He was also a bad driver, slewing and jerking all over the road for much of the trip.

Our tickets were sold to us by a Karon Beach tour company. When I called them to tell him about the attempted theft, the sales agent appeared to be mortified. He rang me back later and talked for ten minutes, seeking further details.

Unhappily he revealed that the driver on that trip was the owner of ................. Tours.

BTW, the journey takes 4+ hours, not the advertised 3.

Interesting. we have that company pick up from here occasionally. I'll chat to the agent. (I saw this this morning before the name was deleted but didn't have time to reply)

The other place to post this to good effect is the thorntree, which is the Lonely Planet forum.

the link for the fourm is

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293920-i5037-Phuket.html

and they wont delete the name :)

Thanks, but tried & had to fill out a whole lot of bumf - then after doing so they wanted me to "join" (more forms to fill):

I'm a working man & I don't have enough time for that.

Tried Thorntree but their site is down (at least from here, Vientiane).

Anyone else is welcome to re-post my above...........Tours post anywhere.