Where Is The Best Meal Deal In Town?

SamSipEt

One of the best meal deals in town at the moment has got to be the Dim Sum lunch at the China Palace in the Holiday Inn. All you can eat, great quality 300 baht a head no ++ and once you get to know them no corkage charge on your bottle of Rimping Sauv Blanc. Great Deal

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salsa Kitchen is not very convenient for me in the new location, but I have always enjoyed it and the owner really is a swell guy. I got a chance to eat there the other day and tried their new burrito. It was good and so big that I could not finish it.

Their ribs were excellent in the past, but for some reason they changed the recipe. The good news is that they now carry both kinds and I hear that the "classic" ribs are as good as ever.

Yes, well said.

After an unpleasant experience at Miguels (on the moat) I discovered Salsa Kitchen some time ago and have had several very nice meals there.

Rgds

Just last night I too had an unpleasant experience at the other Miguels location. I ordered the cheese nachos with chicken. I ordered and paid for extra sour cream on the side, and extra cheese to be put on top. The meal came without virtually any cheese. When I pointed it out to the waitress, she checked with the cook (I was sitting at a table right in front of where they prepare the meals) and he responded that the cheese was cooked inside the nachos. Lie. There were a few drippings of cheese on the plate. That was it. Of course I was still charged for the 'extra' cheese. Never again. From now on, when craving Mexican food, I'll go to the Salsa Kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it's at the 1st-Ring-Road (the Super Hwy does not count as a Ring Road). The road out to MaeJo/Phrao is also known as Hwy 1001 (Chiangmai-Maejo Rd.). Pratties is just behind Ring Ping Market. Mee Chok Plaza is on the North East corner of the intersection.

I just had the all meat pizza at Pratties and it is by far one of the best pizzas that I have had in Thailand. The meat and cheese were piled up and he added green olives to the mix. FANTASTIC! It's a small pizza, but with all of the toppings it fills you up. Plus, the price is only 120 baht. Very well worth it.

The pizza at Pratties is good, but the lasagna is AMAZING. I just tried it and want another tomorrow! :clap2:

the full english breakfast at mad dog for 125 baht, tea or coffee, orange juice, bacon, ham and sausage, eggs, pan fried potato, beans, toast, mushrooms and tomatoes. this is an all day offering, can't be topped

Indeed - I go there sometimes with a (fairly large) friend and I'm amazed at the amount of food and drink you get for 125 Baht.

I certainly wouldn't even try to eat it - coffee and toast is OK for me, but I must say in terms of value for money, Mad Dog's breakfasts look hard to beat.

One of the best meal deals in town at the moment has got to be the Dim Sum lunch at the China Palace in the Holiday Inn. All you can eat, great quality 300 baht a head no ++ and once you get to know them no corkage charge on your bottle of Rimping Sauv Blanc. Great Deal

Is the dim sum lunch a daily event or just on certain days?

Agree with all the praise regarding Salsa Kitchen

• 3 weeks later...
The taiwanese restaurant down the road from Kad suan Kaew shopping center has huge portions, gyoza there is only 55 baht for 12 pieces....portions of every dish there are also about twice of what you would expect, free hot or cold tea too.

Agree about the Taiwan restaurant - good food and not expensive though obviiously not Farang!

There's also a new Farang food restaurant just along in the same block called SoupaSteak. Right next door to Salsa Kitchen, making for a whole block of varied culinary deligths as you've got The Leomn Tree and a Japanese place there too.

I haven't tried it but a friend checked it out a couple of nights back and reported great food and realistic prices with A/C and modern decor. Menu is western Salad, soup grill, steak type fare though I guess that's implied by the name.

For me, a newbie here, and cheeseburger addict, SoupaSteak hits the spot @179B. I have tried other fare as well and found it all to be above par and reasonably priced - also daily specials. Atmosphere and service A1.

The taiwanese restaurant down the road from Kad suan Kaew shopping center has huge portions, gyoza there is only 55 baht for 12 pieces....portions of every dish there are also about twice of what you would expect, free hot or cold tea too.

Agree about the Taiwan restaurant - good food and not expensive though obviiously not Farang!

There's also a new Farang food restaurant just along in the same block called SoupaSteak. Right next door to Salsa Kitchen, making for a whole block of varied culinary deligths as you've got The Leomn Tree and a Japanese place there too.

I haven't tried it but a friend checked it out a couple of nights back and reported great food and realistic prices with A/C and modern decor. Menu is western Salad, soup grill, steak type fare though I guess that's implied by the name.

For me, a newbie here, and cheeseburger addict, SoupaSteak hits the spot @179B. I have tried other fare as well and found it all to be above par and reasonably priced - also daily specials. Atmosphere and service A1.

No idea where this place is, but GBP 3.50 or 4 Euros for a cheeseburger would hardly be good value in Europe let alone Chiang Mai!

CORRECTION: the price is 149B NOT 179B - fries - cole slaw - small salad included. OOPS!!

No idea where this place is, but GBP 3.50 or 4 Euros for a cheeseburger would hardly be good value in Europe let alone Chiang Mai!

Given your addiction to "good value" may I recommend One 2 Go. They sell excellent, really cheap One Way tickets to Bangkok

You obviously like to take your own wine when you eat out and enjoy not paying a corkage charge.

Is the no corkage charge policy in operation at The Olde Belle?

You obviously like to take your own wine when you eat out and enjoy not paying a corkage charge.

We charge 150 baht corkage, but if people come in for a 3 course meal (starter, main course, sweet or cheeseboard) and want to bring their own wine We usually waive it. we're open to negotiation!

Just out of curiosity, are there many (any) restaurants (apart from the one MF goes to) that don't charge corkage on wine?

My experience is that most (Farang) places will negiotiate. Pom Pui charges 100 baht service for as many bottles as you want to open. We have negotiated no corkage at Dukes (the one across the river - the night bazaar one seems to stick to the rules) Pizza e Vino will do no corkage deals. and of course, many smaller Thai places don't charge corkage on wine anyway as they don't really get people bringing wine. I've taken a Rimping 3 for 1,000 Chilean Shiraz to the the Thai BBQ place on the Western side of the moat and not been charged corkage. Larger Thai places tend to charge by the bottle whether it be wine or whisky and are less open to negotiation, although the wife usually tries!!

To be honest its all about who and when. You're more likely to get a no corkage deal on a midweek night in the low season than a Saturday night in January and more likely if there are a few in your party and you're ordering off the main a la carte menu

Edited by millwall_fan

We charge 150 baht corkage, but if people come in for a 3 course meal (starter, main course, sweet or cheeseboard) and want to bring their own wine We usually waive it. we're open to negotiation!

Just out of curiosity, are there many (any) restaurants (apart from the one MF goes to) that don't charge corkage on wine?

My experience is that most (Farang) places will negiotiate. Pom Pui charges 100 baht service for as many bottles as you want to open. We have negotiated no corkage at Dukes (the one across the river - the night bazaar one seems to stick to the rules) Pizza e Vino will do no corkage deals. and of course, many smaller Thai places don't charge corkage on wine anyway as they don't really get people bringing wine. I've taken a Rimping 3 for 1,000 Chilean Shiraz to the the Thai BBQ place on the Western side of the moat and not been charged corkage. Larger Thai places tend to charge by the bottle whether it be wine or whisky and are less open to negotiation, although the wife usually tries!!

To be honest its all about who and when. You're more likely to get a no corkage deal on a midweek night in the low season than a Saturday night in January and more likely if there are a few in your party and you're ordering off the main a la carte menu

Thanks for the responses MF.

I think Pom Pui's 100 baht for as many bottles as you want to open is OK, as is your policy of negotiation.....although to be honest I'd prefer no negotiating on my night out....unless it's with the Tuk Tuk guy.

I'd sooner know if there is a charge or not.

PS. As a restaurant owner, any particular reason you take your own instead of helping prop up the place you go to?

Edited by uptheos

PS. As a restaurant owner, any particular reason you take your own instead of helping prop up the place you go to?

Because he can!! I would think most places don't have a decent selection.

Personally, I would expect to be charged and be pleasantly surprised if they don't. 

Like yourself, I wouldn't  like to mess about asking for discounts on a night out. 

Because he can!! I would think most places don't have a decent selection.

Personally, I would expect to be charged and be pleasantly surprised if they don't.

Like yourself, I wouldn't like to mess about asking for discounts on a night out.

Being in the trade I guess a restaurant owner would know that most places don't have a decent selection and what they do have is well overpriced or been opened for a long time, so I suppose it makes sense to take their own.

I've been to a couple of restaurants and ordered wine by the glass, which turned out to be the smallest wine glass I'd ever seen.

I would feel really REMISS in not telling you about this little gem.

First thing to know is that it's a little out of the way (for some) but once you get to know its location it's easy.

Secondly, it's only small and will not, IMHO, comfortably serve a large group, but for 3-4 persons, just perfect.

Newish place with pleasant decor and good ambience. Will switch on air-con when you arrive without having to request. An extremely accommodating and pleasant and experienced proprietor.

Dishes around the 50 baht mark. I have not yet tried one that I didn't like. All farang food. Really and truly recommend this place. Just don't go with a large group and run the risk of spoiling your meal..

Where ?

Travel up Huay Kaew Rd towards Doi Suthep. Cross Canal Road, keeping to your left lane, and see the "Dunkin Donut" on your left ( on the corner). Turn left immediately after the Dunkin Donut into a Soi which runs directly behind it and continues for some fairly long distance parallel to the Canal Rd. The very first turn left ( back towards Canal Road )is it !. A short distance down on your left you will find a white pillar numbered boldly, 50-52 . Drive into the parking lot. NOI'S CUISINE is at the entry on the right hand side.

Alternatively, if you were travelling northwards on Canal Road then, when you were approximately opposite City Life's offices, you would turn left into Soi 4 Canal Road and find Noi's, a short distance down, on the right.

Open from 10.00a.m. through to evening dinners.

You will have to have lost your taste-buds not to find something delicious here. Trust me ! But don't abuse me if you don't agree !!! No refunds !

Cheers and bon apetite !

First thing to know is that it's a little out of the way (for some) but once you get to know its location it's easy.

Secondly, it's only small and will not, IMHO, comfortably serve a large group, but for 3-4 persons, just perfect.

Newish place with pleasant decor and good ambience. Will switch on air-con when you arrive without having to request. An extremely accommodating and pleasant and experienced proprietor.

Dishes around the 50 baht mark. I have not yet tried one that I didn't like. All farang food. Really and truly recommend this place. Just don't go with a large group and run the risk of spoiling your meal..

Where ?

Travel up Huay Kaew Rd towards Doi Suthep. Cross Canal Road, keeping to your left lane, and see the "Dunkin Donut" on your left ( on the corner). Turn left immediately after the Dunkin Donut into a Soi which runs directly behind it and continues for some fairly long distance parallel to the Canal Rd. The very first turn left ( back towards Canal Road )is it !. A short distance down on your left you will find a white pillar numbered boldly, 50-52 . Drive into the parking lot. NOI'S CUISINE is at the entry on the right hand side.

Alternatively, if you were travelling northwards on Canal Road then, when you were approximately opposite City Life's offices, you would turn left into Soi 4 Canal Road and find Noi's, a short distance down, on the right.

You will have to have lost your taste-buds not to find something delicious here. Trust me ! But don't abuse me if you don't agree !!! No refunds !

Cheers and bon apetite !

I'll second that. Noi's Cuisine is a simple and reasonably priced Italian place that is excellent (though a bit hard to find).

Edited by OriginalPoster

Where ?

Cheers and bon apetite !

Bugger me!! - Not Literally

I was looking on this forum wondering where to eat tonight.

I moved to Chiang Mai 10 days ago and when I saw this post I realised it was only a 5 minute walk for me. So I went and really enjoyed, the dish was a fish steak with lemon butter sauce and the usual veg. The presentation was one of the best I've come across in Thailand and the taste was perfect. The restaurant is done out OK but the food sells the place.

110 Baht for the meal and a bottle of Chang - I was robbed!

Will become my local eatery from now on, thanks for letting everyone know about it.

Paul.

Having just eaten at Noi's Cuisine this evening I must add my support... Great food and great value!

Between us we had:

2 bottles of coke and 1 of water, 2 appetisers (bruschetta with diced tomato, garlic and other stuff on it, and a delightful plate of baked aubergine wedges layered with a bolognese sauce, ham and mozzarella), two main courses (a meat lasagne (mmm...) and a tasty fish fillet served on mashed potatoes and veg served with a creamy sauce), and a plate of french fries.

Total bill 290 Baht - and we were stuffed (2 adults and one young child). Super value, and delicious... Basically, it would seem, a Thai woman cooking good Italian food without the overhead of needing to meet the financial requirements of a farang owner! Oh, and did I mention that it is air conditioned too. :jap:

Does anyone know how long it has been open?

PS It was mentioned earlier that you couldn't go there with a group. I beg to differ - there are 5 large tables that sit 4 very comfortably, a table for 6 and a couple of tables for 2. It's not massive, but hardly tiny and the way it is set out you could easily join up a couple of tables. No bother!

Having just eaten at Noi's Cuisine this evening I must add my support... Great food and great value!

Between us we had:

2 bottles of coke and 1 of water, 2 appetisers (bruschetta with diced tomato, garlic and other stuff on it, and a delightful plate of baked aubergine wedges layered with a bolognese sauce, ham and mozzarella), two main courses (a meat lasagne (mmm...) and a tasty fish fillet served on mashed potatoes and veg served with a creamy sauce), and a plate of french fries.

Total bill 290 Baht - and we were stuffed (2 adults and one young child). Super value, and delicious... Basically, it would seem, a Thai woman cooking good Italian food without the overhead of needing to meet the financial requirements of a farang owner! Oh, and did I mention that it is air conditioned too. :jap:

Does anyone know how long it has been open?

PS It was mentioned earlier that you couldn't go there with a group. I beg to differ - there are 5 large tables that sit 4 very comfortably, a table for 6 and a couple of tables for 2. It's not massive, but hardly tiny and the way it is set out you could easily join up a couple of tables. No bother!

Hi JimShortz,

Glad you found this little gem.

The only reason that I suggested not going there in a large party was because Noi is essentially a one-man operation assisted by his wife and family when the call arises.

One of the joys of eating there, apart from the great food, is that Noi speaks English and brings you what you order but, more importantly he will usually bring all the courses at the same time rather than staggering the service where some are still waiting whilst others have finished eating ( which is often the case in Chiang Mai )!! My concern in suggesting that one shouldn't ( rather than couldn't ) go with a large group was that this great service might be lost and the dinner just might not be that enjoyable.

Noi used to run his little restaurant as part of the strip of eateries directly opposite the Boat Restaurant on Huay Kaew Road, catering mostly to university students. He had opened that place after, as I understand it, some considerable experience elsewhere in the Italian restaurant business. He closed that down to make the move to his present location about a 12-18 mths ago when the building of a new condo (?) disrupted his operation.

He and his wife and little girl are delightful people and, given their excellent food and prices , are, in my opinion, worthy of support.

I just hope the place doesn't get too crowded for my next visit.

Cheers

Hash House, corner of MoonMuang and MoonMuang Soy2

Very nice burger (with chips) for 60bht

(don't ask for chips and tell them no mayo on the burger)

Orchid Bar, other end of MoonMuang Soy 2

Really good Ham and Cheese baguette (proper french bread made by french baker) with chips 80bht

(sometimes the Ham is Bacon)

Edited by sarahsbloke

• 2 months later...

I found noi's place last night after searching for 2 years as he used to be on the university but one day just up sticks and didn't tell me .

I was a very good customer of his and i was surprised how well he's english has got as i used to sit there and teach him.

my wife was pregnant before and now we have a child nearly 2 years old so it was nice to catch up last night.

The food is much better now then it was not that it wasn't good before because it was but it's just got 10 times better.

I went to Gecko Garden last night and had the Tuesday special (delicious beef burger in a bun with salad and chips) for a whopping 79 Baht - beat that for value. My missus had fish and chips, we drank 4 large Leos, had a B52 bomber each (cocktail) and paid a monstrous 500 odd Baht for the lot - and I like being in the place too. Beat that! :rolleyes: