Australian Dollar

johninbkk

The Oz dollar is not doing well at the moment, not happy about that!! :)

Actually historically thinking, the Oz isnt doing too bad, especially compared to some European curriency.

27.2 baht to the dollar isnt too bad either.

Actually historically thinking, the Oz isnt doing too bad, especially compared to some European curriency.

Yes but it was 32 about 12 months ago

Yes but it was 32 about 12 months ago

And as low as 19 to the dollar around 18 months ago...

It has never been 32. Dreaming

Sorry to disappoint you, but in 1998 it went to 33 and in the mid eighties it was never better than 18, on average it use to trade @ 16-17. The USD was around 25. Don't know about the quid. I think ThaiVisa.com should have its own members BOARD for exchanging cash, let's send the banks broke. Ha ha ha... Same goes for property in Thailand, it's A B S O L U T L Y pathetic. I believe the industry needs a shake up. The agents are short in foresight to do anything but they are not short in foreskin on their melons....

In 2008 it actually went to 32.08 & it was NEVER 19, (18 months ago) but certainly got down to around 22-23. I recall the NZ Dollar was being changed for around the 19 around the same time the Aussie was 22ish.

I also remember many years ago when it spent a fair time around the 20 mark (& below) but I dont recall 1998, 33 mark :D:D .

Anyway, its completely pointless to constantly compare to ALL TIME HIGH's and ALL TIME LOWS, and when it sits around figures of 27 & 28, Im not sure if I would call that not doing well :D

edited to add: Perhaps the dollar was changed for baht in Australia @ a local bank around 19 (18 months ago) but anyone that exchanges the dollar for baht in Australia needs their head read, the official rate was much closer to 23. :)

Edited by neverdie

In 2008 it actually went to 32.08 & it was NEVER 19, (18 months ago) but certainly got down to around 22-23. I recall the NZ Dollar was being changed for around the 19 around the same time the Aussie was 22ish.

I do not know who quoted 19, (18 months ago) I quoted 16 - 17, at best, 18 in the eighties, (1980-1985) maybe u misunderstood my dates, but I assure you, it was. The 33 I received when I cashed an overseas banker’s cheque at Bkk bank head office. Yahoo, I could not believe it, 33. Anyhow I agree no good quoting the highs and lows of any currencies, just accept... Bye

G,day All,

On a trip back in July 2005 the best rate I got was B32-14

On a trip about April 2008 I got B21-47

Last trip, April this year the going rate was B28-87

Altogether mostly okay, But the B21-47 hurt a little,

cheers,

lesdunbar

And as low as 19 to the dollar around 18 months ago...
I do not know who quoted 19, (18 months ago)

John,

I was referring to endlessimage, see above.

Sorry to question your perfect knowledge but I have the paperwork to "prove" it was 19 around 18 months ago. I know this because I placed a deposit on a condo in BKK when the rate was around 26.5 and when I had to settle on completion of the project the rate was in the 19's which effectively cost me an additional $30,000AUD for the the condo after exchange.

Go back do you homework. I accept your apology in advance.

Sorry to question your perfect knowledge but I have the paperwork to "prove" it was 19 around 18 months ago. I know this because I placed a deposit on a condo in BKK when the rate was around 26.5 and when I had to settle on completion of the project the rate was in the 19's which effectively cost me an additional $30,000AUD for the the condo after exchange.

No point throwing you're handbag down about it. What I said, if you read carefully is that the 'official' exchange rate NEVER reached 19 (18 months ago).

Of course its entirely possible that you changed money through an Ozzie bank for somewhere around 19 as an exchange.

I never saw an exchange rate with a thai bank around 19 at any time (during that time).

Anyway, you seem to be doing all the good trades, keep up the good work. I won't be apologising though, because the Official exchange rate between Oz & Thailand's curruncies never reached 19, if you were so 'unlucky' enough to find someone to exchange the Ozzie at that time, then so beit :D:D:)

endlessimage,

I just checked the graphs & on the 27/10/2008, the Ozzie dropped down to 21.128 (very briefly), so its entirely possible that you exchanged @ 19 around that time, but I am imagining to do so you would have to be changing you're money offshore (in Australia) because even at that moment you would of been able to get 20.5 onshore.

Fortunately I changed my money at 32.02, so I only had to observe what was happening at those times.

Clearly the official exhange rate didnt go as low as 19, if it did you probably would of been chaning your money at 17 or lower :D Of course I'm not expecting your apology to follow :):D

Mate you must have been getting you money changed by CBA or one of the credit unions before transfer, some of the worst exchange rate I have ever seen.

There were some tough times then (Dec 08), but in country we were getting about 21 (still a long way down from the 32 of 12 months prior). It could have been when there was a huge on-shore /off-shore difference in exchange rate, the Thai government were playing games that did not work well at the time, I thought they finished with that game about April 08.

Mate you must have been getting you money changed by CBA or one of the credit unions before transfer, some of the worst exchange rate I have ever seen.

There were some tough times then (Dec 08), but in country we were getting about 21 (still a long way down from the 32 of 12 months prior). It could have been when there was a huge on-shore /off-shore difference in exchange rate, the Thai government were playing games that did not work well at the time, I thought they finished with that game about April 08.

Always best to send the money over in AUD if using a bank in Australia

It sure did get to 32 before the GEC. Albeit for only about 1 week before the shit hit the fan and it spiralled downwards to as low 20. it is a matter close to my heart - not to mention my wallet.

I have a pretty good memory for Thai Baht (and other Asian Currencies) against the AUD over the past 40 years. In 1997 I was here when the Asian Tigers went belly up. I flew out of Bangkok in October when it hit 30, but it went to 33 - Again, not for very long before settling back to the Mid 20s again.

Yes by Jan 2009 with interest rates in Oz at 2% and the Baht at 20 I was getting pretty bloody worried. We expected the Oz Dollar to go below 55 cents US at that stage - That's what the so-called experts were saying at the time, thank christ they were wrong!

When you transfer you money from Aust - Remember, do not change it before transfer!!!!!

ALWAYS ® ALWAYS send in Oz Dollars and let the Thais do the exchange. The Big Four Bastards (Banks) in Aust will rip you off anything up to 2 baht in the dollar if you change it first and send it in Thai Baht.

aud_to_thb_oneyear.png

aud_to_thb_since99.png

It sure did get to 32 before the GEC. Albeit for only about 1 week before the shit hit the fan and it spiralled downwards to as low 20. it is a matter close to my heart - not to mention my wallet.

I have a pretty good memory for Thai Baht (and other Asian Currencies) against the AUD over the past 40 years. In 1997 I was here when the Asian Tigers went belly up. I flew out of Bangkok in October when it hit 30, but it went to 33 - Again, not for very long before settling back to the Mid 20s again.

Yes by Jan 2009 with interest rates in Oz at 2% and the Baht at 20 I was getting pretty bloody worried. We expected the Oz Dollar to go below 55 cents US at that stage - That's what the so-called experts were saying at the time, thank christ they were wrong!

When you transfer you money from Aust - Remember, do not change it before transfer!!!!!

ALWAYS ® ALWAYS send in Oz Dollars and let the Thais do the exchange. The Big Four Bastards (Banks) in Aust will rip you off anything up to 2 baht in the dollar if you change it first and send it in Thai Baht.

aud_to_thb_oneyear.png

aud_to_thb_since99.png

Thankyou, I was sure I got 32 and I wasn't dreaming :)

I need AU$2000.00 cash - anyone needs Thai Baht? BTW can we get in trouble for doing this..? :)

no u cant get in trouble for it, anyway what rate u offering? I may be able to help u here.

I need AU$2000.00 cash - anyone needs Thai Baht? BTW can we get in trouble for doing this..? :)

no u cant get in trouble for it, anyway what rate u offering? I may be able to help u here.

to be fair... we meet in the middle between current Bank's buying and selling rate... pm me if interested.