Farangs, Hated Or Not?

maxpowers87

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The welcome mat was withdrawn at least ten years ago.

That is reflected in visa rules ..

Since you have been here for so long, maybe you forgot a few facts.

1 - retirement visa age eligibility changed from 55 to 50

2 - in the past, embassies often required a letter before they would issue an "O" visa (was no "O-A" early on)

3 - getting retirement extensions usually required multiple visits to immigration over periods of months

Seems to me that 'retirement" visas have become much easier.

That is priceless........you actually believe the visa rules have changed for the better.............priceless.

I rarely to this, but here it goes: :):D :D

The welcome mat was withdrawn at least ten years ago.

That is reflected in visa rules ..

Since you have been here for so long, maybe you forgot a few facts.

1 - retirement visa age eligibility changed from 55 to 50

2 - in the past, embassies often required a letter before they would issue an "O" visa (was no "O-A" early on)

3 - getting retirement extensions usually required multiple visits to immigration over periods of months

Seems to me that 'retirement" visas have become much easier.

That is priceless........you actually believe the visa rules have changed for the better.............priceless.

I rarely to this, but here it goes: :):D :D

1 - Maybe you can explain how that visa rules "used to be" were so much better than now.

2 - I'll ignore your childish use of smilies to apparently replace the absence of fact and reason.

Look folks why dont we just call spades spades here:

In general ,and I stress in general ,Thais dislike foreigners,

and foreigners dislike Thais.

Get serious. Let's really call a spade a spade. What you're saying is that Thai's don't like YOU. And YOU don't like Thai's. Does that about sum it up?

If we are hated , or somewhat disliked, it seems the Americans come high on Thor list. Speech too loud, very opinionated.

Ask your Thai friends for their view.

no,

and apart from that, i would say that 90+% of the locals can not distinguish an American from an Swede for instance

Defo, the welcome mat IS still here, bit scuffed up maybe, but still here all the same. And you're going to receive far more hatred and resentfulness from your fellow countrymen back home, WHATEVER country that maybe.

Have to agree with that.

It appears you only have to state that you are happy in Thailand and have no problems with Thai people to get slagged off on this forum, and that's by people who choose to be in Thailand, people who have a choice !!

Christ knows what it would be like dealing with people who don't have that choice, you can sense the resentment on here and it's just a forum, back home it would be worse.

Many people make bad choices in life, but at least they had the choice, if things didn't work out in the way they thought they would, then tough luck, that's life, but they shouldn't slam other people who have also made choices in life, that have worked out.

It's hard for a failure to accept that some people don't fail. :)

Edited by GM1955

As a generalization, I think Thais are not so welcoming to 'Farangs', when compared to a few years ago. When I lived in BKK in 2003, even those few years ago, I was welcomed with smiles everywhere - never any problems. But I guess that the increase in tourists and expats, and the exposure on TV/in shops to western consumer products and foods has made some Thais 'weary' of foreigners at times.

...guess, it's a poisoning mixture of stress through higher prices and more materialistic demands > higher expectations from (assumed richer) Farang customers, while more and more (new) Farangs expect the lowest prices for everything with the most smiling service...

Get serious. Let's really call a spade a spade. What you're saying is that Thai's don't like YOU. And YOU don't like Thai's. Does that about sum it up?

Yes, spot on.

No wonder thais are rude to r dislike some farangs- when you see the way the farangs in question behave, its completely understandable.

If we are hated , or somewhat disliked, it seems the Americans come high on Thor list. Speech too loud, very opinionated.

no,

and apart from that, i would say that 90+% of the locals can not distinguish an American from an Swede for instance

Agreed --- but with the caveat that Americans (I am one) do tend to not have much sense of cultural sensitivity when expressing opinions :)

I know of quite a few places where farangs from a certain country(ies) are also not liked . . . . It's not only the Thais. Throwing around wads of baht doesn't get you liked or respected; especially if you think it should.

Yes, spot on.

No wonder thais are rude to r dislike some farangs- when you see the way the farangs in question behave, its completely understandable.

no,

yes I remarked on this earlier. They (Thais) mostly cannot distinguish. of course if you are a hawker in Walking Street in Pattaya, you would soon learn. But the majority of Thais who have little or no contact with farangs can't tell us apart.

My first stopping off point in Sth East Asia as as young 16 Year Old, was Subic Bay and Manila. We were all called 'Joe'. 'Hey Joe', the kids would all shout. It pissed me off no end, because in the PI, if you were white, it meant you were American.

Americans are sometimes just 'victim's' of their own making, for being representative of the 'white race'. World Leader in war and peace. Hollywood, Movies, Music, Mickey Mouse, Coca Cola, etc.

Like I said. most Australians can't tell the difference between a Chinese and a Japanese.

When I took my wife to Australia in 85 and I would introduce her as being 'Thai', 90% instantly thought she was from Taiwan. Although I think we have improved a little since those days.

So the Thais will improve too.

no,

yes I remarked on this earlier. They (Thais) mostly cannot distinguish. of course if you are a hawker in Walking Street in Pattaya, you would soon learn. But the majority of Thais who have little or no contact with farangs can't tell us apart.

My first stopping off point in Sth East Asia as as young 16 Year Old, was Subic Bay and Manila. We were all called 'Joe'. 'Hey Joe', the kids would all shout. It pissed me off no end, because in the PI, if you were white, it meant you were American.

Americans are sometimes just 'victim's' of their own making, for being representative of the 'white race'. World Leader in war and peace. Hollywood, Movies, Music, Mickey Mouse, Coca Cola, etc.

Like I said. most Australians can't tell the difference between a Chinese and a Japanese.

When I took my wife to Australia in 85 and I would introduce her as being 'Thai', 90% instantly thought she was from Taiwan. Although I think we have improved a little since those days.

So the Thais will improve too.

Good points. Coincidentally I watched Gran Torino starring Clint Eastwood last night on HBO - great movie and touches on this subject in reverse.

In Singapore in my young days. The Hawkers in places like Change Alley, Transit Road Nee Soon, could not only tell you what nationality you were, but they could even tell you which city you came from!

Good points. Coincidentally I watched Gran Torino starring Clint Eastwood last night on HBO - great movie and touches on this subject in reverse.

Yeah, great movie.

And certainly touches on the subject that you state.

( Really like the part when he rescues the Asian girl from the Corner boys. and slags off the white guy too.) :)

yes, a good movie.

You have to admit, being called a Farang is alot better than being called a Gook, or a Slopehead

When I first visited the Far East, EVERYONE of us referred to all Asians as 'Chokey's' - Ironically, in Singapore, The same term used by the gangs of Malay Boys when referring to the boys of the Chinese Gangs.

It was in the late 60's and early 70's, mainly after the release of the very popular movie, 'The Sand Pebbles', when we began to drop the title of Chokey and adopted the popular American Term of Slopehead.

Personally, I never liked any of these terms and still cringe when I hear them used.

I have no problem with the 'F Word' in Thailand. Many times when on the piss with my thai mates they will used the term as one of endearment, or when taking the piss as we often do.

You can argue about it until the desert freezes over and the camels come skating home. But I suggest many of you should just get over it.

I've just moved here after a couple of holidays - and just started working as a teacher. I'm starting to see now the divided attitude of Thais - but I think we put a lot of ourselves into how we think they are thinking. Thais aren't like us - and it's hard to get used to that. I turn up late for work and I'm expecting to have to apologise or make some excuse - but it's just 'mai pen rai' and on with the day. I go out for lunch, walk down the street and feel all eyes on me - and it's a little uncomfortable sometimes. But I only assume what they are thinking - if I got stared at in England I'd have a better idea. I know a lot of Thai people are just genuinely interested in seeing someone 'different' to them. Others want to judge, and some want to make fun. But it's not the end of the World - it's just how things are everywhere.

Today I hopped on the back of a taxi bike and nearly tipped the guy over (I stepped straight onto the bar before lifting my leg over - hey, I'm new!) and he made some comment. Drove me up the road, and as we went past a Thai guy made some comment to him and the guy was laughing as I went by. Now, that's just bullshit behaviour - but it was a silly mistake on my part and the guy was kind enough to tell me how to mount a scooter for the future (I have done this a fair few times, I'm just always uncomfortable with HOW to do it). I was embarrassed and lost face - but I'm not Thai, so they don't have to worry about it. Who knows what the guy said - he could have been saying anything from 'idiot' to 'this guy must be new' - but I'm going to have to deal with this kind of thing here, and like I say, I'm just getting used to it.

Back home me and my friends were nearly violently assaulted by a gang of youths whilst heading back to our cars after a nice night out for dinner. I haven't felt any threat here, and I do in my own home town. So whilst there is a lot of prejudice and attitude here, I do appreciate that I am a guest in a very special Country.

Some farang's see hatred everywhere just as blacks see discrimination everywhere. Doesn't mean its not there i just doubt its as big as some people want you to believe.

Some farang see hatred everywhere. Some Blacks see hatred everywhere. You speak generalities that suggest ignorance and add nothing to the conversation.

well, I wouldn't worry about it too much, in Australia the Asians normally go blundering, blindly, unknowingly, into the surf and quickly get into difficulty and drown. It is a frequent occurrance. What you did wasn't too bad.

Of course they have had a joke. at your expense. about the farang who almost made him go arse up. Why wouldn't you? Watch world's funniest home vids. Alot of our humour is based on things like you just did.

The best thing I have found to do here, in such a situation, is learn to laugh at yourself when you do something stupid. If you can do that and join in on the joke, they may even get to like you!

Some farang's see hatred everywhere just as blacks see discrimination everywhere. Doesn't mean its not there i just doubt its as big as some people want you to believe.

Some farang see hatred everywhere. Some Blacks see hatred everywhere. You speak generalities that suggest ignorance and add nothing to the conversation.

and you just added what to the conversation?

anyway, i agree - blacks indeed too easily feel discriminated, while the cruel fact of reality is that most blacks in the USA are much better off then their families in Africa ... as in; thanks to slavery they now have a better life ... that doesn't justify slavery, but its' nevertheless a fact ...

ok, i got distracted ... my point; i think there are more falangs who feel 'hated' than Thai's actually hating them ... they just don't get bit ... that's all.

(although there is racism here, that's obvious)

and you just added what to the conversation?

anyway, i agree - blacks indeed too easily feel discriminated, while the cruel fact of reality is that most blacks in the USA are much better off then their families in Africa ... as in; thanks to slavery they now have a better life ... that doesn't justify slavery, but its' nevertheless a fact ...

ok, i got distracted ... my point; i think there are more falangs who feel 'hated' than Thai's actually hating them ... they just don't get bit ... that's all.

(although there is racism here, that's obvious)

If just on a holiday you have no idea, they all love very BIG.

The moment you live here and know the ins and outs some Thai people just not welcome you, i don't think it is hate.

I don't understand why they not welcome us they need to thank us for taking all there dark ugly woman :) .

maybe not hated, but certainly disliked

IMO ,

even, if you have a family , and house , car etc ..

or just a tourist .

we are all looked upon as foreigners / farang .

ALLWAYS WILL BE ..

there is a lot of resentment and jealously , which is understanable .

how would you feel , if wealthy foreigners , occupied your home country .

buying , items which the average working thai ,

can only dream off .

maybe not hated, but certainly disliked

IMO ,

even, if you have a family , and house , car etc ..

or just a tourist .

we are all looked upon as foreigners / farang .

ALLWAYS WILL BE ..

there is a lot of resentment and jealously , which is understanable .

how would you feel , if wealthy foreigners , occupied your home country .

buying , items which the average working thai ,

can only dream off .

Substitute Thai for English and its just like UK with all the other nationalities having the money.......:)

whenever I get passed or even pushed out of the way by someone, when I am waiting in a queue at 7/11 , I smile to myself and think " they must really hate me!" . . however, it is just their respectlessness, not hate ! You will not encounter open hatred, as this will be loss of face for a Thai. But if you ask for trouble, it will be at your feet in no time ! There are nationalists and such , like in every other country , that think their nation or their race is superior. I just avoid such people, and love and show that I like nice and friendly folk. You get back hatred when you give people a reason !

I too have experienced the annoying pushing out of the way at the BTS or the cutting to the front of the Que at 7/11 or any outer Que I asked my GF about this as it seemed quite common to see some Thai think it is quite OK to walk the the front of any line and expect to be served next without even acknowledged or batting an eye at it.

I was told that the concept of Queuing is new concept in Thailand Before (10-5 years) it was every man and woman for himself or he who yells loudest gets served first.

This concept is still evident in Thai Drivers and the Buffalo style of I am the biggest or I am preceved the most important driving my European import (Merc, BMW, etc.) and if I Drive aggressively everyone will get out of my way because if they damage me it will always be seen as the poor mans fault..

Spend some time up country and you will find many more examples of people unaware of the the Queuing concept.

and who will get extremely upset if anyone points out to them that they should Que and wait there turn.

Now days when someone cuts in front of me I usually stare at them directly in to their eyes and say "Ban nork" it will either send them into a a furious rage causing them to loose face or all the other people around will stare at them and laugh and they will Quietly move back to the back of the line.

Edited by dutchweller