A Idle Moment Of Disparity

kayo

hi leezer is online typing something rright now, so my salutations to her...

I{ve gotta be real quick... I{m mailing only my paretns, closest friendms and yous... Remember the rains that prevented me taking my long deserved night out of town on monday...?

Turned into the biggest thing to hit since, BEFORE hurricane mitch....

At least for our part of the storm. We were pretty much hit by the full wrath of god and god was not  a happy bunny...

Most of houses, belongings, just about everything was swept out as all the rivers flooded by over ten feet, New rivers born, waterfalls, and basically complete and utter carnage and chaos...

I´m fine.

My clothes didn´t dry too well.

Chaos folks... No pics, and unknown when the connection will go, but I will update you as soon as possible if I get cut off.

OMG.... :D:o

Well.. Kayo.. glad you are safe.. look forward to hearing from you .. :D

totster :D

DITTO Kayo..... :D

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh you people have the funniest sense of humour!  :D  Crack me up!  My sides are splittin'!  :o

We try our best Jesse :D

So bringing that skateboard? I heard recently that Bangkok Airport are letting valley boys bring them on board as hand luggage :D

Really?! Sadly Vancouver Airport doesn't have the same rules or JAL... otherwise I'd be glad to bring my skate! I'd bring my snowboard but I heard through the grapevine that Thaiville doesn't have much snow... anyways I think you're mistaking "valley boys" as 'skaters' when infact I think the real def. is preppy/rich boy.

hi leezer is online typing something rright now, so my salutations to her...

I{ve gotta be real quick... I{m mailing only my paretns, closest friendms and yous... Remember the rains that prevented me taking my long deserved night out of town on monday...?

OMG.... :D:o

Well.. Kayo.. glad you are safe.. look forward to hearing from you .. :D

here i am going about my merry business, my greatest concern de jour being whether or not i should pack an extra this or that, totally oblivious to the weather patterns in guatemala! kayo, i had no idea that you didn't even make the posh party. i am so sorry for the loss you have experienced.

i will add my glad tidings with the rest of the idle gang. hang in there. good thoughts sent your way for strength and patience!

leezer

xo

Canadian-Jesse - Only joking  :D

Okay whatever you say skater hehe. Yes a shortage of snow here... No shortage of ice though  :D

You were only joking?!?! :D

Ha are you saying you're so huge you cover the whole kingdom? :D

Didn't say I was huge, It's quality not quantity! :D

Ice and Canadian-J are in the tree :o

flasher.gif

Canadian-Jesse - Only joking  :D

Okay whatever you say skater hehe. Yes a shortage of snow here... No shortage of ice though  :D

You were only joking?!?! :D

Ha are you saying you're so huge you cover the whole kingdom? :D

Didn't say I was huge, It's quality not quantity! :D

Ice and Canadian-J are in the tree :o

flasher.gif

And Bambi annnd...... Nah I won't say it :D

I was only joking around with him nothing serious :D

:o:D:DKayo?

Stan kills 239 in Central America

From correspondents in Guatemala City

October 08, 2005

DEVASTATING Tropical Storm Stan, which lashed Central America and Mexico with five days of relentless rain, has killed at least 239 people, authorities said overnight.

The death toll in Guatemala surged to 140.

Stan also left 67 dead in El Salvador, 11 in Nicaragua and 21 in Mexico, according to authorities in each country. Officials feared the death toll could rise as emergency workers searched for the hundreds who remained missing.

The storm slammed ashore as a hurricane in Mexico's state of Veracruz early on Tuesday.

Dozens of landslides were reported causing many of the deaths blamed on Stan. The Panamerican Highway leading to the capital of San Salvador was cut off by mudslides, as were several other roads.

The 2005 Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to November 30, has been one of the deadliest and most active on record. Stan was the 10th Atlantic hurricane this year.

Hurricane Katrina, which slammed the US Gulf of Mexico coast August 29, ravaged New Orleans and coastal areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, killing more than 1,200 people and becoming the deadliest storm to hit the United States since 1928

:o  :D  :D  Kayo?

Stan kills 239 in Central America

From correspondents in Guatemala City

October 08, 2005

DEVASTATING Tropical Storm Stan, which lashed Central America and Mexico with five days of relentless rain, has killed at least 239 people, authorities said overnight.

The death toll in Guatemala surged to 140.

Stan also left 67 dead in El Salvador, 11 in Nicaragua and 21 in Mexico, according to authorities in each country. Officials feared the death toll could rise as emergency workers searched for the hundreds who remained missing.

The storm slammed ashore as a hurricane in Mexico's state of Veracruz early on Tuesday.

Dozens of landslides were reported causing many of the deaths blamed on Stan. The Panamerican Highway leading to the capital of San Salvador was cut off by mudslides, as were several other roads.

The 2005 Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to November 30, has been one of the deadliest and most active on record. Stan was the 10th Atlantic hurricane this year.

Hurricane Katrina, which slammed the US Gulf of Mexico coast August 29, ravaged New Orleans and coastal areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, killing more than 1,200 people and becoming the deadliest storm to hit the United States since 1928

Oh gosh thats not very good news.

I hope you are okay Kayo. And I send my deepest sympathy to all the people and family and friends of these that were affected by this hurricane.

Hi All.

( I wrote this on Friday 7th October. Today is Sunday 9th.)

It´s been a rather exciting week, I might say:

It started raining on the Monday. This prevented me from taking my first night away from Panajachel. My Colleagues were invited along with me for a night away from the bar and Panajachel last Monday to a very beautiful hotel, called the Posada de Santiago. I expect that this is now gone... Disappeared into oblivion along with so much else.

The eye of the storm beholds us now (on Friday) and wonders if we have had enough.

By Thursday -yesterday- half the village was gone, swept out onto the banks of the lake, creating a drifting carpet - floating persian rug - of debris from hundreds of homes, rolling gently in the softly forceful waves and swells.

A Fender Precision Bass guitar sticks out of the mud on the river´s new, self-styled bank; A childs tricycle; Toilets, toilet seats, toilet bowls, toilet tanks, and the toilet tank plastic shut off thingies; Gutters, pipes, mattrasses, two small cars, countless motorcycles and bicycles; Hundreds of yards of finely polished lumber, lots of wood recognizable - "Hey! That´s from Georges house; That teak balcony is from so-and-so; That mahogany from one of the residencial complexes up beyond the big federal bridge, up the mountain" - Trees, Shrubs, half the big new paint center that opened up two months ago on the riverside; A bedroom, a kitchen table, a hand, a chair, plates,... - A Hand!! Look again, but see nothing. Nothing but everything.

Then there is a screching, metal tearing, stone against steel. The two pedestrian bridges are already gone -as is our villages little vehicular bridge here near where I contemplate this - so what could it be? Surely not the massive big federal bridge from up the mountain?!

(Screech!...)

"Get Up! Turn! and Run!" are the first three thoughts that enter my mind, and I scream at myself to do. Yet I helplessly stare, as a deer in the headlights of a semi-trailer.

It is no longer a river, but torpedoes and explosions; A constant, napalm wall of dirty, muddy water that is all around and unless I move to higher ground a great big 100 ton bridge is going to smack me in the face throught this wet,. dirty brown mud and I won´t ever know what hit me, until they find my body at the bottom of a four hundred meter dep lake in ten thousand years and they comment on how ugly and apelike their ancestors were.

Our village - Panajachel - not only was cut off, but the neighbourhood itslef of Jucanya, where I live, was cut off from the village itself.

The bridge - linking our little Macondo to the main center of the village - the bridge was swept away early Wednesday morning.

On the junction of the bridge extends up the hill and another access road out of the valley. This too, was destroyed.

The island - as I often refer to our lakeside crater away from the world - got torn away from the rest of the country, and those roads all now lie at the bottom of this majestic Lake.

The pedestrrian bridges disappeared first, and that big large screeching noise I had heard: It was a big village Water storage tank.

The large bridge, although inaccesible, stayed its course after all.

Friday saw most indigenous out in the lake, salvagin what they could. Many of these "salvagers" were people who had not suffered the losses of those who had unwillingly put all this trash in the lake.

Chairs, tables, that bass guitar, everything was reclaimed by others, and will continue to be done so for some weks I imagine.

Now is the harder part. Supply shortages, water especially, are affecting people already since Thursday. Stores are rationing, and only one or two are open a day at the moment, alternating with eachother.

Five thousand people stuck in this little neighbourhood across the river with three shops, no running water, and a lot of tension. The neighbourhood is calling for vigilante patrols effective starting immediately to ensure some peace is kept. Last night two places were raided by a gang of about thirty.

I actually feel safer now that the elders are taking control. They are capable men who have managed, if nothing else, at least to maintain our elctricty links, and this is a blessing in the chao.

Hungry, but happy and healthy.

Kayo, the ping Chang CHompuu Klazy Krown.

:D:D

:D:D:D:o

Hi All.

( I wrote this on Friday 7th October. Today is Sunday 9th.)

It´s been a rather exciting week, I might say:

It started raining on the Monday. This prevented me from taking my first night away from Panajachel. My Colleagues were invited along with me for a night away from the bar and Panajachel last Monday to a very beautiful hotel, called the Posada de Santiago. I expect that this is now gone... Disappeared into oblivion along with so much else.

The eye of the storm beholds us now (on Friday) and wonders if we have had enough.

By Thursday -yesterday- half the village was gone, swept out onto the banks of the lake, creating a drifting carpet - floating persian rug - of debris from hundreds of homes, rolling gently in the softly forceful waves and swells.

A Fender Precision Bass guitar sticks out of the mud on the river´s new, self-styled bank; A childs tricycle; Toilets, toilet seats, toilet bowls, toilet tanks, and the toilet tank plastic shut off thingies; Gutters, pipes, mattrasses, two small cars, countless motorcycles and bicycles; Hundreds of yards of finely polished lumber, lots of wood recognizable - "Hey! That´s from Georges house; That teak balcony is from so-and-so; That mahogany from one of the residencial complexes up beyond the big federal bridge, up the mountain" - Trees, Shrubs, half the big new paint center that opened up two months ago on the riverside; A bedroom, a kitchen table, a hand, a chair, plates,... - A Hand!! Look again, but see nothing. Nothing but everything.

Then there is a screching, metal tearing, stone against steel. The two pedestrian bridges are already gone -as is our villages little vehicular bridge here near where I contemplate this - so what could it be? Surely not the massive big federal bridge from up the mountain?!

(Screech!...)

"Get Up! Turn! and Run!" are the first three thoughts that enter my mind, and I scream at myself to do. Yet I helplessly stare, as a deer in the headlights of a semi-trailer.

It is no longer a river, but torpedoes and explosions; A constant, napalm wall of dirty, muddy water that is all around and unless I move to higher ground a great big 100 ton bridge is going to smack me in the face throught this wet,. dirty brown mud and I won´t ever know what hit me, until they find my body at the bottom of a four hundred meter dep lake in ten  thousand years and they comment on how ugly and apelike their ancestors were.

Our village - Panajachel - not only was cut off, but the neighbourhood itslef of Jucanya, where I live, was cut off from the village itself.

The bridge - linking our little Macondo to the main center of the village - the bridge was swept away early Wednesday morning.

On the junction of the bridge extends up the hill and another access road out of the valley. This too, was destroyed.

The island - as I often refer to our lakeside crater away from the world - got torn away from the rest of the country, and those roads all now lie at the bottom of this majestic Lake.

The pedestrrian bridges disappeared first, and that big large screeching noise I had heard: It was a big village Water storage tank.

The large bridge, although inaccesible, stayed its course after all.

Friday saw most indigenous out in the lake, salvagin what they could. Many of these "salvagers" were people who had not suffered the losses of those who had unwillingly put all this trash in the lake.

Chairs, tables, that bass guitar, everything was reclaimed by others, and will continue to be done so for some weks I imagine.

Now is the harder part. Supply shortages, water especially, are affecting people already since Thursday. Stores are rationing, and only one or two are open a day at the moment, alternating with eachother.

Five thousand people stuck in this little neighbourhood across the river with three shops, no running water, and a lot of tension. The neighbourhood is calling for vigilante patrols effective starting immediately to ensure some peace is kept. Last night two places were raided by a gang of about thirty.

I actually feel safer now that the elders are taking control. They are capable men who have managed, if nothing else, at least to maintain our elctricty links, and this is a blessing in the chao.

Hungry, but happy and healthy.

Kayo, the ping Chang CHompuu Klazy Krown.

:D  :D

:D  :D  :D  :o

Thats terrible news... Glad you're okay though :D

hey folks, just checking in. Salvagin is going to take weeks, rreconstruction months.

We are mostly okay, although a couple of hundred people, and over 2 thousand houses were destroyed. We, as a village, are coming to the end of our stored resources, and all the press choppers that fly overhead all day long, burning valuable gas, never land, never bring anything, just buzz over our heads taking pictures from their little glass bubbles.

Thanks to all for concern, emails, pm´s etc... It looks like we have a few computers connected to satellite in the village, so for the time being, and with the -now clear- good weather, we should be on the road to recovery.

Another Survivor of another Apocalypse.

edit: My idle moment got quite exciting there for a minute. Where oh where art thou, my beloved Zacapa Truck.... Oh How I do crave more moments of idleness... Far too much excitiment for one lifetime, let alone one week.

edit2: Hi Icey... I see you reading but I have to be off before responding to you, so here is my pre-emptive strike. Love yous... Kayo.

Edited by kayo

hey folks, just checking in. Salvagin is going to take weeks, rreconstruction months.

We are mostly okay, although a couple of hundred people, and over 2 thousand houses were destroyed. We, as a village, are coming to the end of our stored resources, and all the press choppers that fly overhead all day long, burning valuable gas, never land, never bring anything, just buzz over our heads taking pictures from their little glass bubbles.

Thanks to all for concern, emails, pm´s etc... It looks like we have a few computers connected to satellite in the village, so for the time being, and with the -now clear- good weather, we should be on the road to recovery.

Another Survivor of another Apocalypse.

edit: My idle moment got quite exciting there for a minute. Where oh where art thou, my beloved Zacapa Truck.... Oh How I do crave more moments of idleness... Far too much excitiment for one lifetime, let alone one week.

edit2: Hi Icey... I see you reading but I have to be off before responding to you, so here is my pre-emptive strike. Love yous... Kayo.

I'm sooooooooooooo glad you are okay Kayo :D

You have to be off? :D

Well love you too Kayooooooooo :o

:o Gotta love this incestuous, dysfunctional family............... :D

Good to hear your latest report Kayo. There's very little press out there despite all the buzzing glass bubbles over your head!!

Hope things improve rapidly for you guys. Thinking of you. :D

Kayo - I'm sending in a convoy of relief trucks and a fleet of helicopters to get you outta there...where are you buddy? You know I would if I could K, you hang in there and stay safe!!!

z :o

Well love you too Kayooooooooo :D

Arrrgghhh .. GET A ROOM..!!!

^kayos bedroom sounds good then

Icey, That can MOST DEFINITLY be arranged.

Well.... might be a bit muddy...  :o

totster

That´s a fair point... (nah, it´s mostly cleaned up now.)

Poor Kayo  :D

... Lets make it my room then 

that sounds fine by me... ANy room will do, as long as it is just me and you...

Kayo - I'm sending in a convoy of relief trucks and a fleet of helicopters to get you outta there...where are you buddy?  You know I would if I could K, you hang in there and stay safe!!!

z

Hey Zaz... Thanks buddy, but I wouldn´t leave here right now if you paid me... Loads of people (with financial means) have run away... Not me buddy. I´m shoveling the vilalge clean along with everyone else here.

Though you could ask those choppers to bring some water though.

Look after yourself KO.  Our combined thoughts are with you

Thanks Doc. Always had a good feeling about you, and now you´ve actually posted more than a smilie it means ten times as much....

:D

Cheers, Doc.. and all of yous for your positive thoughts.

We are doin alright... just gotta get one of these roads fixed up and we´ll be back to normal, nearly.

Today )Friday Morning) They finally completed a temporary fix on the main access road into our lake crate in paradise.

The first truck (small tonnage, of course) started it´s descent, followed by a whole convoy.

About a hundred meters farther on from the fix, the truck collapsed and fell down the 500 meter cliff, along with a whole other section of the road...

Our thirst grows as we await further incompetence.

rumour has it they are going to be laying down some Baileys (military) bridges in the meantime... So many rumours. 720 people dead so far, and cholera is starting to rear its ugly head.

We are getting frustrated and tired.