Help, Places To Bring The Folks In Bangkok

Chopper71

My folks are paying me a visit this month and I have just realised that most of the bars that I hang out in might give the old pair a heart attack or have my Mum going back to Ireland on her own while while the Dad samples some Isaan delights!! My local is in Queens Park Plaza on Soi 22, I remember the first time I went there and though "sweet Jesus", now the bar girl scene is totally a normal part of my life, seeing a 82 yr old on his last legs with a 18 year old beauty queen is as normal as seeing miserable faces on the tube in my previous life.

My folks are in their mid 60's, young at heart and I'm racking my brains on where to bring them. I'm thinking Vertigo, the snake farm, Cabbage & Condoms, the usual temples, Jim Thompsons place etc.. I'd really appreciate if anyone has any suggestion especially for night time. Normally when friends come over, it's a no brainer with Patpong, Cowboy etc but I don't want my folks flying out shaking their heads in shame...

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. :)

• Like 1

Arun Residence, 36_38 Soi Pratoo Nok Yoong, Maharat Rd 15400, Maharat Rd, Bangkok, Thailand. A great view and excellent food. Definitely worth sitting on the deck for. It is right across the river from Wat Arun and the sunsets make a great show. Call ahead for reservations and ask for a table by the rail. If you look at my Bangkok gallery, you can see a picture that I took from the deck.

Thanks a million Aussiechick, I really appreciate your suggestions :)

Soi 11 - Temple Bar, Man U Bar, Aussie Bar, Pickled Liver, Cheap Charlies

Soi 33 - Bulls Head

Between Soi 2 and 4 - Bullys Pub

And take them on the river/canal trip on a long tail boat - and then to Wat Pho

Thanks a million Genericnic, that place looks fantastic. I look forward to seeing your photos :)

Arun Residence, 36_38 Soi Pratoo Nok Yoong, Maharat Rd 15400, Maharat Rd, Bangkok, Thailand. A great view and excellent food. Definitely worth sitting on the deck for. It is right across the river from Wat Arun and the sunsets make a great show. Call ahead for reservations and ask for a table by the rail. If you look at my Bangkok gallery, you can see a picture that I took from the deck.

O'Reilley's, O'Malleys? Just joking! If you don't mind a short trip, you could take them to Kanchanaburi to see Hellfire pass and the bridge, take a boat ride on the river and return to bangkok all in a day trip. I'm sure your mum would enjoy a trip to MBK or if she's got a few quid, Emporium! I hope they have a great time.

Edit: I forgot to mention the day trip to Ayutthaya, leaving from the Oriental hotel at about 8 AM, go up by bus, look around the old capitol, one of the King's palaces and return via luxury boat with buffet lunch included arriving back around 5 PM. Well worth the visit.

Edited by midasthailand

Buy a decent travelguide for Bangkok (not Lonely Planet)

Visit Siam Niramit

Make a dinner cruise (nighttime)

Maybe visit a cabaret show

Many restaurants have some extra entertainment

Folks from Europe like to shop, so bring them to (evening) night markets (their are many around Bangkok)

For daytime activities

Of course some famous landmarks, such as temples

A good option to see a different Bangkok is take out a bicycle tour (half or full day), many companies around in Bangkok

For sure go to China Town, its the biggist china town in the world

Visit Bayoke tower (highest building), you can enjoy a decent lunchbuffet on one of the highest floors.

Make a boattrip trough the canals of Bangkok and Nonthaburi (Venice of the East).

Plan a trip outside Bangkok, floating market and River Kwai, its very touristic, must still most Europe visitors will like it.

If their is time visit a beach place or a island (no go to Pattaya).

Do your homework, and do some of the suggestions first alone, before you folks arrive.

Maybe you will appreciate the beauty of Bangkok and its people and will spent less time with mindless only after your money girls.

And take them on the river/canal trip on a long tail boat - and then to Wat Pho

Another option on the river is to take them for an evening dinner cruise. They typically run from about 7-9:30, but I believe that there are also afternoon and sunset cruises. They go up and down the river so you can see all the temples & the Grand Palace. All of my visitors have loved the dinner cruises, and it's a little classier than some of the other options around town. :)

Thanks a million Midas

O'Reilley's, O'Malleys? Just joking! If you don't mind a short trip, you could take them to Kanchanaburi to see Hellfire pass and the bridge, take a boat ride on the river and return to bangkok all in a day trip. I'm sure your mum would enjoy a trip to MBK or if she's got a few quid, Emporium! I hope they have a great time.

Edit: I forgot to mention the day trip to Ayutthaya, leaving from the Oriental hotel at about 8 AM, go up by bus, look around the old capitol, one of the King's palaces and return via luxury boat with buffet lunch included arriving back around 5 PM. Well worth the visit.

Thanks Kuifje, really appeicate your suggestions. I love Bangkok, the people, language, food and so many things about this place and the culture. I don't go to bars very often but as I play in the Bangkok pool league, my bar is in Soi 22 and the bargirls can't be avoided. I enjoy banter with the Thais and expats alike but am not into the bar girl scene myself but many farangs disgust me with their attitudes and lack of respect towards girls and the culture..

Buy a decent travelguide for Bangkok (not Lonely Planet)

Visit Siam Niramit

Make a dinner cruise (nighttime)

Maybe visit a cabaret show

Many restaurants have some extra entertainment

Folks from Europe like to shop, so bring them to (evening) night markets (their are many around Bangkok)

For daytime activities

Of course some famous landmarks, such as temples

A good option to see a different Bangkok is take out a bicycle tour (half or full day), many companies around in Bangkok

For sure go to China Town, its the biggist china town in the world

Visit Bayoke tower (highest building), you can enjoy a decent lunchbuffet on one of the highest floors.

Make a boattrip trough the canals of Bangkok and Nonthaburi (Venice of the East).

Plan a trip outside Bangkok, floating market and River Kwai, its very touristic, must still most Europe visitors will like it.

If their is time visit a beach place or a island (no go to Pattaya).

Do your homework, and do some of the suggestions first alone, before you folks arrive.

Maybe you will appreciate the beauty of Bangkok and its people and will spent less time with mindless only after your money girls.

All the usual tourist sites and sights - Grand Palace, Wat Po, river trips - even just taking the ordinary express boat from Saphan Thaksin to Nonthaburi is fun; canal tour - by longtailed boat is worth the time and money, Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn), Royal Barge Museum, medical museum at Siriraj?.

Make sure they get to Vimanmek Palace and the Ananta Samarkhom Throne Hall behind the Royal Plaza - fantastic.

Obviously Grand Palace but you probably knew this one. :) Follow it up by boat tour of canals.

Segway tour if parents are not in a position to peddle bikes in the heat.

Bayoke tower as the sun sets. There is a mediocre restaurant up there also...

Chinatown is decent, but no way is it the biggest in the world. It's quite small... You can't go wrong here with some old stand byes like shark fin soup and dumplings.

Any of the higher end restaurants will work just fine, maybe Koi? Arab soi is pretty interesting also.

I never think prostitution is that much in your face in BKK. Quite the opposite really. I'm not a big bar goer though...

Just a couple,

"Cheap Charlies" on soi 11 as another poster mentioned, Old-er people who have been over to see me seemed to really get into it.

German Beerhouse on soi 11 for a roasted pork fest (air on or no air con - your choice)

Wat Arun, which I think is a beautiful temple, but getting up and down might be tricky, super place to see though.

Hope they enjoy it.

Take BTS to Saphan Taksin, walk over to the Shangri La hotel and have dinner outside by the river at Sala Thip restaurant. If you arrive about 7:30 ish you would get to see the Thai dancers that float around the tables.

• 1 year later...

Siam Niramit is definitely a good place to bring the family. The show is much fun and before and after the show they can see elephants and take pictures with them.

If anyone is interested, I have up to 7 vouchers (tickets) valid until the 30th of June. I sell them for 1,000 THB.

They are valued in 1,500 THB. I bought them for some friends but they couldn´t go to the show.

You can call me at 08 511 03 573 for the tickets or for any question