Thai To Thai Title Transfer/wrong Title

So just today I sold an old bike for 3,000 baht.. I had bought it for the same price just a few months ago, and that guy had given me a green book. Well, I drove the bike without getting its registration or licensure or whatever you call it up to date, and now when I sold it the new owners came back a few hours later and said (I think) that the green book didn't match the bike. I think they were saying that the plate on the back of the bike wasn't the same number as the one listed on the green book.

So, I'm wondering, what will happen here? Can they just use the green book to get a new plate? Is the bike in fact unlicensable? I dread having any problems with these guys as they are security guards at my school. I told them next week I'd bring a friend to translate and we'd figure it out.

Its 3000 baht.. Give them their money back.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Thai bike registrations.. A system so screwed up and full of holes that vast proportions of the bikes are not registered right.

Ride the bike until the wheels fall off.. Then abandon it or sell it for bits.

Well, guys, thanks for the advice, disappointing as it is. Alas the money's already been spent and the nice Thai gentlemen may have to wait till payday for the refund! (I'm inclined to let them keep the bike in return for their patience - honestly I have so many bikes I don't really care to have it back).

Somehow I'm actually a bit surprised they were even planning to get the old thing licensed. No one ever checked my registration in the nearly one year I drove it (I think its 2551 or 2552 on the sticker).

You dont have 3000 baht to your name ??

An expat in Thailand ??

Yeah its normal for teachers. We only make 30-35K/month, so its normal to run out of money before payday.

However I'm happy to report that the security guard decided he still wanted the bike even with the book the way it was, so I'm lucky!

Edited by ClareQuilty

You dont have 3000 baht to your name ??

An expat in Thailand ??

Happens to me all the time.

Contrary to public opinion just going to the ATM to get more money doesn't always work for all farang who live here long term.

and 3000 baht is a great price for any bike in decent running shape without the book. If you had a legal book it would be at least double that.

Edited by vision

Contrary to public opinion just going to the ATM to get more money doesn't always work for all farang who live here long term.

and 3000 baht is a great price for any bike in decent running shape without the book. If you had a legal book it would be at least double that.

Haha nice to hear from a fellow low-budgeter, timestamp. If fellows only knew how often I've borrowed a few grand from my Thai lady-friend!

Anyway I have bought two other bikes over the last year from a friendly dealer here, both Tenas in excellent running shape, one 'like new', for 5,000 and 6,000 baht. So you're about right. The old 3,000 baht one I sold was pretty rough but reliable and servicable, though a bit of a bear to drive. I have another good-running old bike (a Yamaha Tiara) I bought along the roadside for 4,500 that also turns out to have the wrong book, now that I check. Guess I'll be keeping that one a while.

Long live the old two strokes!

Teachers usually get health insurance with the job, government hospital cheap anyway.

Only those who look wealthy (driving a car) get police hassle ...... everyone else 200bht does the trick.

I've never had a tax sticker on my bike, I have it but not displayed, in 18 months it has never been checked.

Nobody seems to care about scooter style m/cs, cars and big bikes cause you lots of grief IMHO.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I've never had a tax sticker on my bike, I have it but not displayed, in 18 months it has never been checked.

Nobody seems to care about scooter style m/cs, cars and big bikes cause you lots of grief IMHO.

Along with a collection of Thai riders, I was pulled over a few weeks ago by a cop checking registrations. All he wanted to see was the sticker. Spotted mine and off I went. Others had a "conversation" of some sort with him.

Teachers usually get health insurance with the job, government hospital cheap anyway.

Only those who look wealthy (driving a car) get police hassle ...... everyone else 200bht does the trick.

Spoken like somone who has yet to encounter the vagaries of the Thai judicial system

Lets just hope you dont injure anyone on a badly booked (and hence uninsured) bike.

Terrible advice if taken nationally.. Assume your up in the boonies somewhere.. If on Phuket you would be lucky to go a week without passing a roadblock.. Often many per day (near the end of the month when the cops need a little payroll boost).

Edited by LivinLOS

Not knocking you guys at all..

But I mean, what happens if you get sick ?? Or break a bone ?? Or get police hassle ?? Or or or..

Hey those are great points, but I'd be poor back home too, so its the same either way.

No except usually back home, the law protects you, not extorts from you.

But I mean, what happens if you get sick ?? Or break a bone ?? Or get police hassle ?? Or or or..

Hey those are great points, but I'd be poor back home too, so its the same either way.

Ha, not in the USA. I'd be more afraid of being victimized by the authorities there than here, to be honest - that is, sans major lawyer-hiring resources of course.

Ha, not in the USA. I'd be more afraid of being victimized by the authorities there than here, to be honest - that is, sans major lawyer-hiring resources of course.

Really ?? A friend just had a drunk Thai drive into the back of his parked car, at 3am, while he slept indoors.. When he wouldnt pay the few 100,000 baht blood money the Thai family and Thai police insisted he pay, and said he would go to court as it was plainly ridiculous that he was responsible when not in the vehicle. Thai judge gave him 1 year in a Thai jail !!

If you think the US system is more corrupt and more willing to fit up people to ensure they can fine them, your dreaming. Had too many unpleasant dealings over the last decade to think otherwise.