Intermediate Thai Language Classes:

JimShortz

I'm just about to begin my two month long summer break in Chiang Mai and want to try to do something useful - speed up my Thai learning. I've been studying on and off for a few years now and am somewhere in the intermediate level. I can read Thai script like a ten year old, can't write very much at all, speak okay for everyday conversation (ish!), but can soon get lost...

What I'm looking for is probably about 2 hours a day five days a week for a month or so (July). A chance to extend my vocabulary (it needs plenty of extending!), improve my use of correct grammar structures when speaking, and most of all get plenty of practice speaking and listening. Ideally I'd like to learn in a small class, or with a small group of people at a similar level who would like to get together and share a teacher. Perhaps even sit at a quiet coffee shop (or bar?) and study? Ideally I would like to study in the mornings so as to have the rest of the day free; perhaps from 10 until 12?

I don't really want to pay much more than 1000 Baht a week for this (i.e. 100 Baht an hour) as I'm tight! :) Any ideas? Anyone want to get together and share a teacher? Any teachers out there who want to teach a small group paying 100 Baht an hour each? (assuming anyone wants to join me)

All of the above is flexible and I am very open to offers that would anyway give me a month or so of fairly intensive Thai...

You could check out the Thai language classes at the YMCA. Their next session runs from July 12 - August 13. One of the higher levels of their conversational Thai (which they call "Standard Thai") should help much in teaching grammar -- I'd recommend levels 6 thru 8 for someone with a working knowledge of Thai. Those classes meet M-W-F from 10 am to noon.

Then in the afternoons, you could return for a higher level of Elementary Thai, where the focus is on reading and writing. They don't have the demand for every level of that series with each session, but there will be a class of Elementary 5 in July-Aug, because I'm in the Elementary 4 class now. We're reading stories and informational texts geared at children in the 2-3 grade level. (I'm learning a lot about insects, animals, Thai foods and customs from the stories, too). We're doing some writing and should expand the writing in Elementary 5. Also, we do workbook exercises to learn the tricks of Thai writing -- like the tone shift rules, hidden vowels, dual purpose consonants, silent letters and the hi-so words that utilize the little-used consonants. I always look up the meanings of the 100-150 words involved in the daily workbook exercises so I'm expanding my vocabulary, too. We do some listening exercises, where the teacher reads a little story and we have to answer questions -- writing out sentences not multiple choice. Like the morning class, Elementary Thai meets just on M-W-F, but believe me, you'll need your Tuesdays and Thursdays to do the homework, especially if you look up the meaning of every word.

The costs should be well within your budget. About 2000 baht for each 30 hour class.

Here is a link to the YMCA website http://www.ymcachiangmai.org/newym/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=66&lang=en

NancyL, Thank you for your detailed response. They sound like some excellent options and I may well see if I can sign up for them The only pain is that I would have to miss two or three days during the last week as I would be starting back at work... Nevertheless, this is by far the best option I've seen so far. Thank you.

Anyone out there with any other ideas?

NancyL, Thank you for your detailed response. They sound like some excellent options and I may well see if I can sign up for them The only pain is that I would have to miss two or three days during the last week as I would be starting back at work... Nevertheless, this is by far the best option I've seen so far. Thank you.

Anyone out there with any other ideas?

You might want to visit the AAA Language School in the Vanessa Bldg behind Central Chidlom. A friend of mine went there for a few months and made remarkable progress. Thai reading and writing are relatively easy. It's those darn tones that make it so difficult. My understand is that this school is able to impart tones in their written and spoken form in a manner that sticks.

You might want to visit the AAA Language School in the Vanessa Bldg behind Central Chidlom. A friend of mine went there for a few months and made remarkable progress. Thai reading and writing are relatively easy. It's those darn tones that make it so difficult. My understand is that this school is able to impart tones in their written and spoken form in a manner that sticks.

That sounds great, and since I live near Chiang Mai airport I guess I could commute each day - although I think it might be a bit of a budget buster...

Thanks for the thought anyway! :)

deally I'd like to learn in a small class, or with a small group of people at a similar level who would like to get together and share a teacher. Perhaps even sit at a quiet coffee shop (or bar?) and study?

Let me know if you put a group together. I might be interested. I'm not sure if I'm as advanced at speaking as you are, though I can read a bit. I learned the written tone rules through a mnemonic system that's been helpful, and I'd be glad to share it. I have some free time this summer, as well.

If you find out the cost of the "miraculous" AAA course, please let us know.

deally I'd like to learn in a small class, or with a small group of people at a similar level who would like to get together and share a teacher. Perhaps even sit at a quiet coffee shop (or bar?) and study?

If you find out the cost of the "miraculous" AAA course, please let us know.

I imagine it depends on if you fly Thai or Air Asia :)