Mobile Internet Too Slow In Cmai...

jayinoz

Mobile Internet wise I been using the standard AIS 3G (It only a little faster than the old dial up). I have no hope of playing videos or using my VOIP system. It only OK for basic internet work, it drops out often and is a pain in the neck... It goes back to dial up speed in Lamphun as the home out there is out in a village. I am told Super 3G will not work out in the countryside, so u still need standard mobile internet as well- which is a pain.

:D

How are others finding the Super 3G in CMai? The supposed 4Mb speed would be highly exaggerated is my guess- yet if you able to play Video, Audio, live stream, no drops then it worth it.

Do not wish to fork out for new Super 3G USB (3000bt then 590bt for small data allowance monthly) and pay monthly if it no good- I have heard mixed results??? It appartently more ideal for BKK. Mobile Internet wise Wifi is far better in a hotel... yet I do not like doing my banking and stockbroking work over their networks. As a past IT guy I know how easy it is for them to capture my info if they want too. Never use the Internet Cafe as they will capture every key stroke u make. Ur USB stick will come home with a million virus on it... :)

Anyway how is AIS Super 3G or the other 3bb I think it is n CMAI??? Cheers

Try moving the modem or get one with a external antenna as signal strength being too low will do what you have described. TTT broadband is not available where you are?

OK stupid question time; I have similar problems to the OP. I'm living rural sth Sa Kaeo and my AIS Edge airless modem operates usually on a 2 out of 5 bars signal strength. Slow.

AIS is the only option based on which cellphones work/don't work when we have visitors, eg TrueMove cuts out about 5km away..

Really appreciate more detail re external antenna or moving the modem?

thanks

I have acceptable service from AIS on both Super 3G and GPRS.

Super 3G in Chiang Mai WITHIN THE SIGNAL COVERAGE AREA is normal for me between 2.3 and 3.2 MB to USA.

GPRS in Chiang Mai is about 70% of what I get in a little village past Mae Jo, which the speed of download is approximately 200 kb there.

Settings, location, number of customers getting signals from the same tower...many things can affect the speed. Not understanding being the biggest proble in my opinion. And I am probably more guilty than others in that area.

MSPain

Why bother with this - CAT CDMA works in all of these places, and will deliver you 1Mbit +. It's faster in the countryside, less interference I guess. I get a consistent 2Mbps up in Pai, and a little less than 1Mbps down here in Chiang Mai.

I have been using it for 3 years now... EDGE does not compare, this is like day and night. CAT CDMA has a nominal max speed of 3.1Mbps, and 512kbps upload. It feels like a DSL line. Not the fastest DSL line ever, but perfectly usable.

Works everywhere in Thailand, with the exception of Bangkok and vicinity.

See the CAT shop in Central Airport.

Edited by nikster

I use the True 8mb ADSL plan as well as the True unlimited 3G plan on my iphone. Since True keeps cutting off my ADSL service intermittently I've had to regularly tether my notebook to my iphone to get online for the last couple weeks. It's quite fast, in fact I actually can not tell the difference in speed between 3G and ADSL. That probably says a lot more about my ADSL service than my 3G service though...