Coming Back With A Tefl

Hi all.

I am hoping that you can give me some information. I am a 47 year old from Britain. i have a tefl qualification taken in Thailand about 6 years ago, I have no degree but I taught in various schools while doing my tefl course on Koh Samui. I also had a full time teaching post in a school called Jingterangsi in Trang (only for 6 months),and I also taught mature students in the evenings in a language school there. I am interested in moving back to Thailand but want to work around my wife's home town which is in the Huay Thap Than/Surin/Sisaket area. Do you think it would be possible for me to get any work teaching, either in a school or language school?

Also i was woundering what the situation would be with a work permit. In Trang I was supplied with a work permit, do you think I would get a WP again without a degree? i would also consider private tutoring ...again do think this would be possible? but what are the implications of not having a work permit.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Working without a work permit has it's obvious problems. It is illegal. However, there are schools looking for teachers in that general area. Between schools increasing their English departments and teachers not coming back do to the Reds, there are people looking. Obviously you have a better chance getting as job without a degree out in the sticks.

T

Working without a work permit has it's obvious problems. It is illegal. However, there are schools looking for teachers in that general area. Between schools increasing their English departments and teachers not coming back do to the Reds, there are people looking. Obviously you have a better chance getting as job without a degree out in the sticks.

T

There are many schools that will hire out in the sticks minus a degree PLUS WP, but you may not like what is being offered as far as hours and pay.

I have been working out in the sticks for a few years . If you plan on working for an EP in a Govt. school, you must have a degree or else the school won't even consider you unless you have years (10+) of teaching experience that can be validated. It is to much of a hassle for administration to get such an applicant legal without the proper credentials so why bother.

Our program had over 200 applicants before the term even started and said school is in Issan, so even up here the competition for a good paying job with some benefits is ripe. Do some research and try to find something that makes sense. Keep in mind that the new term has all ready started, so all of the solid jobs are taken. There are language schools that hire throughout the year at decent hourly rates, MINUS long term visa and WP. Chok dee.

Edited by mizzi39