Extension Non Imm O : Waiting Time

I have applied end of March for an Extension (based on marriage to a Thai wife) and all papers were accepted.

I was told by Immigration Officer that I could make enquiries about the decision after one month ...end of May.

This was in line with other reports on Thaivisa.com that such procedures could take from 3 to 4 weeks...

Of course there was the turbelent period of May which must have paralysed all the government offices.

I called last week and I was told to call back a week later ...which I did to-day...

Now somebody told me that I could only get my extension on 27 June.

Indeed : in my passport I got a stamp indicating my "application is under consideration" + my file number + the request to contact the immigration office again in person on 27 June.

-------------------------

My first problem is that believing all the procedures would have ended on 27 June I booked a flight for a very important trip abroad on that day.

My second problem is that I have only 3 pages left in my passport : enough for an Extension + a multiple entry visa for one year + the visa for the country I want to visit.

(I have applied at my Embassy for a new passport which is now ready so that all Immigration data can be transfered to the new passport - I do not dare to collect the new passport fearing the Immigration will ask to start my application from point zero based on the new passport number)

Does somebody have an advise for my situation?

The date stamped in your passport is the date you are supposed to appear - there is a chance it could be ready earlier but the date in passport is when you should visit. Once you obtain you can get new passport and have stamps transferred. But doing all in one day may be a problem and there is never any guarantee more time will not be required.

If not ready you can obtain a new non immigrant O visa for return and start the process again 60 days later.

Your timeline seems to be messed up as one month from end of March would be end of Apeil (you say May) and now you say June 27.

Then you say your were advised by phone about June 27 but that your passport has that information printed in it? You have not visited immigration since application in (March?)?

The date stamped in your passport is the date you are supposed to appear - there is a chance it could be ready earlier but the date in passport is when you should visit. Once you obtain you can get new passport and have stamps transferred. But doing all in one day may be a problem and there is never any guarantee more time will not be required.

If not ready you can obtain a new non immigrant O visa for return and start the process again 60 days later.

Your timeline seems to be messed up as one month from end of March would be end of Apeil (you say May) and now you say June 27.

Then you say your were advised by phone about June 27 but that your passport has that information printed in it? You have not visited immigration since application in (March?)?

Sorry Lopburi 3 : I made mistake and indeed I applied for Extensio on 27 April and on that day the Immigration Officer told me that I could already make enquiry about one month later - on 27 May. It made me believe that the date of 27 June they stamped in my passport was only last date they expected me to appear. When I called end of May the Immigration Officer advised that I should call again a week later (to-day 3 June) and only now somebody tells us that 27 June is the ONLY day I can obtain extension.

I have seen in earlier Thaivisa message on this subject that Extension was delivered already 3 to 4 weeks after application date. Now you confirm that 27 June is ONLY day I am facing a facing a difficult situation because I cannot go for another Non Imm O for three months as then my supporting documents will become older than six months and expire also.

You would have to obtain new supporting documents but otherwise it would be doable. Until recently most places have been stamped for one month and obtained in one month but it appears they knew it was unlikely to be ready in the time-frame in late April and provided you the two month stamp. As 27 June is a Sunday and immigration is never open that day it would make it 28 June?

So which would be harder/more costly - change of airline ticket date or new application (or make another attempt week of 21 June) seems to be the choice you currently have.

This is certainly an unfortunate situation as the closure of Government offices during the protests have delayed your visa result hearing considerably. However, you should not be unduly concerned because there is a solution for you. You can prepare a letter explaining your circumstances, stating that you have a pre-booked flight on the 27th June and the delay in your visa result hearing, and take this along with your flight ticket details to immigration one week before your hearing (around 20th June). Once you reach the immigration office you will need to ask to speak to the Head Officer of the section relating to your visa renewal. They will be able to assist you as there are clearly special circumstances involved in this case. The Officer will be able to process your visa result hearing. You should also bring your new passport to Immigration at the same time, so that your visa and multiple entry stamps can be transferred to your new passport prior to your departure on 27 June.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]