Farang Explosion

WinnieTheKhwai

Agreed! i know many bargirls who say how much they hate thai guys to their older farang customers and 'boyfriends' - meantime most of them have thai bfs on the side. As you say, its hilarious how many farang guys believe it when they are told by thai girls how mean and evil thai men are lol.

Girls tell their bfs/customers whatever they want to hear the world over

Men tell their gfs/purchases whatever they feel like.

This is the way of the world, Thailand is no different.

But as a tourist resort and retirement place, I think it will be less popular in the future.

Edited by sarahsbloke

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

I think the Kwai is worried about having to fend off younger challengers to his crown as "Mr. Big Show" up there in the great NE? :)

yep ,

farangs specially in rural areas , inc udons . mr big shots

are shit scared of new farangs , :D:D

their misses , may be looking for a upgrade .

does she REALLY , love me .???????????

they think they are so secure in a relationship .

i am not farang , i am khun thai { frking idiots ]

yep ,

farangs specially in rural areas , inc udons . mr big shots

are shit scared of new farangs , :D:D

their misses , may be looking for a upgrade .

does she REALLY , love me .???????????

they think they are so secure in a relationship .

i am not farang , i am khun thai { frking idiots ]

I notice you are from Isaan, so are we speaking from first hand experience then ?... :)

You'll still get the bar goers meeting their future wives and moving to Issan. This will never change; not a chance

Wow! Possibly a world record for the number of perfect cliche's in the fewest words.

As an expert in this discussion of foreigner demographics in Thailand, please let us know which location(s) in Issan you are intimately connected with the expatriate population, their wives backgrounds and where they met. Someone in Issan will remember you, and verify your qualifications to make your very definitive statement?

Around me, I see active and retired engineers, military, farmers, tradesmen, small business owners, substantial business owners, teachers and professors, lawyers, entrepreneurs and government/civil service. Most seem to have had interesting and worldly lives, enough to make a rational decision about choosing a place to live. A few naive tourists do get nailed, but they usually don't stay long.

I don't actually ask couples of any mix here (or anywhere else in the world) where they met, I could not care less, but I do know the wives of many of my neighbours did not come from a bar. But I don't have those numbers. You do?

What percentage of daily contacts between foreigners and Thais (must be a substantial number) result in a newly married couple moving to Issan do you think?

People come people go.

15 years ago allmost everyone(in Europe) went for a summer holiday to Spain, now they go to Turkey,Egypt etc.

The big Thailand hype is over. And this has nothing to do with the political crisis or currency rate.

If the PIGS leave the Euro which is a distinct possibility it could lead to another mini boom going to such places .. IMHO Muslim nations arent western women friendly for repeat business .. just going from what im told.

I think the OP was probably drunk when he started this thread. I stopped reading after 'Inevitably, Thailand develops and the economy grows, making things more expensive. Think Singapore and Hong Kong. Er, no, those places were sorted out by the British you couldn't pick worse examples for comparison; Thailand's beyond the point of no return; socially and racially divided, with an infrastructure and a political system of limited effectiveness.

Disagree- thailand, bangkok in particular will become more like singapore and hong kong in the long term 20-40 years??? (of course in the long term we are all dead as keynes said, and that applies to many of us here i guess)- its inevitable im afraid (death and bangkok turning all singers and honkers) . Even now, between 30-50% of investors in the thai stock exhange are overseas- many of the big US and British and Japan investment banks are pouring money into thailand- i have to believe that they know a thing or two about making money and if thailand is such a basket case they wouldnt be investing so much...Also just look at the explosion of luxury cars around bangkok in recent years, emorium area inparticular- this growing number of super rich and well off middle class thais are going to turn central bangkok into singapore sooner than many people would like or expect.

Heck- 20 years ago singapore's expat scene was similar (though smaller of course) to thailand today- drop outs passing through, cheap charlies, expat cowboys, english teachers, cheap food, cheap "hello handosme man" girls, cheap living.

Oh dear is that why my taxes will be paying for their bailout for the next 30 years???

People come people go.

15 years ago allmost everyone(in Europe) went for a summer holiday to Spain, now they go to Turkey,Egypt etc.

The big Thailand hype is over. And this has nothing to do with the political crisis or currency rate.

If the PIGS leave the Euro which is a distinct possibility it could lead to another mini boom going to such places .. IMHO Muslim nations arent western women friendly for repeat business .. just going from what im told.

My friend in the Uk just booked for Turkey, reason they gave "its not in the Euro"

Thailand is often very proud that they have never been ruled by a colonial power,but in hindsight it might have been very good for them in all areas of development. Their proudness of thailand for thais while admirable is i think a hinderance to moving forward.

OW... :) ....methinks you are going to get slapped for that remark..

not from me as i think Beachcomber has a very valid point.

Thailand is often very proud that they have never been ruled by a colonial power,but in hindsight it might have been very good for them in all areas of development. Their proudness of thailand for thais while admirable is i think a hinderance to moving forward.

OW... :) ....methinks you are going to get slapped for that remark..

not from me as i think Beachcomber has a very valid point.

Interesting thought...suppose Thailand had been under a colonial power...what would it be like today ??

Suppose the first thing to establish would be which colonial power would it have been ?...French ?, British, Dutch etc etc

...suppose Thailand had been under a colonial power...what would it be like today ??

no, qoestion would be:

suppose Thailand had been under a colonial power...where would you be today ??

suppose Thailand had been under a colonial power...where would you be today ??

Indochine.

:):D ....

Thailand under colonial power..... today it would be like ?

1. Singapore

2. Hong Kong

3. Malaysia

4. Burma

5. Cambodia

6. Vietnam

7. Laos

8. Indonesia

Indeed people on this forum seem more into beer. :) )

Paucity of wine bars, perchance?

Right, that was the whole point, to highlight a reasonably priced wine shop in Chiang Mai that has wine tasting parties every couple of months. But not much interest on the forum. (Plenty foreigners at the event itself though. I think the entire female expat population was there. :D

• Like 1

What's so great about being a "developed country" anyway?

Try selling hotdogs out in front of a McDonalds in the USA and see what happens to you.

Step 1) Manager comes out and threatens to call the police

Step 2) Hotdog vendor gives up and ends up living underneath a highway overpass somewhere

Step 3) Two pedestrians walk by pointing at the homeless man under the bridge and remarking that if he wasn't so lazy and had taken a job at McDonalds back when he had the chance, he'd have a place to live.

Corporations rule the west and they won't be satisfied until everyone there is either wearing a Walmart uniform or asking if you want fries to go with that happy meal.

Thailand is headed in the opposite direction of Singapore so I find the OP's argument completely specious. The OP appears to want to brag that he is the good quality, desirable type foreigner the Thais will always want (Look! Thais! My partner isn't 30 years younger than me! Love me!). Reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live church lady superior dance.

Nobody knows what the future of Thai xenophobia will bring, so if you ain't Thai, you shouldn't allow yourself to get too comfortable here.

Next ...

Completely agree. The stench of arrogance was almost overpowering.

What's so great about being a "developed country" anyway?

Try selling hotdogs out in front of a McDonalds in the USA and see what happens to you.

Step 1) Manager comes out and threatens to call the police

Step 2) Hotdog vendor gives up and ends up living underneath a highway overpass somewhere

Step 3) Two pedestrians walk by pointing at the homeless man under the bridge and remarking that if he wasn't so lazy and had taken a job at McDonalds back when he had the chance, he'd have a place to live.

Corporations rule the west and they won't be satisfied until everyone there is either wearing a Walmart uniform or asking if you want fries to go with that happy meal.

Good post.

Big business completely dominates the UK and apart from London

every town or city has roughly the same shops, restaurants and look.

You know with the town centre paved in red bricks.

No doubt there will be a decline in Ex Pats living in Thailand IMO, more to do with the fact that Thailand is becoming less attractive an alternative Country to live in year on year,the recent Political unrest (perhaps ongoing) being one them,not as cheap as it once was,a poor reputation of Human Rights,worldwide, over exposure of being the the fleshpot of the world,(deserved or not)having to compete against other rising star destinations,Cambodia,Vietnam,Laos who are welcoming foreign investment,without the Thailand handcuffed deal manipulation of sell and still manage to keep the land and businesses,to sell again,when the original purchaser realises they can't do business on their terms and pull out.

<!--quoteo(post=3666520:date=2010-06-04 13:28:48:name=Birdman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Birdman @ 2010-06-04 13:28:48) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3666520"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->suppose Thailand had been under a colonial power...<i>where would you be today ??</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indochine.

In a better Educated Country,than it is now!

Edited by MAJIC

What with all the monitary problems around the world and many countires filing bankrupcy, I expect there will more and more Falang leaving the LOS as they will have no income. The West as we knew it is finished its just a matter of time before all of the wests nations are done and the money is worthless. Its goning to be pretty hard to live in Thailand for most on an income derived from here.

What with all the monitary problems around the world and many countires filing bankrupcy, I expect there will more and more Falang leaving the LOS as they will have no income. The West as we knew it is finished its just a matter of time before all of the wests nations are done and the money is worthless. Its goning to be pretty hard to live in Thailand for most on an income derived from here.

Curios, if Thailand is not in the West, and the West is doomed, and we derive our incomes from here and not the West, how is that going to make it hard?

What does Thailand bring to the world other than rice and trucks? They will rate against Singapore when their EDUCATION system rates like Singapore. Currently Singapore is about the best in the world and Thailand's system is among the worst (for its level of development). Thailand could rate in 20 years IF they started now. But they aren't really, are they? It is part of the culture here, which is changing indeed, changing towards massive political instability with no end in sight.

Agreed, Thailand's educational system is basically baby sitting. And I don't see very many people with a drive to learn. I could go on, but you get my point...

Those of us who came here to retire because it was a cheaper place than back home may have to look for "cheaper pastures" in the future.However the main thing threatening retirees is not the cost of living increase in thailand(its easy to tighten the budget here)its the exchange rate fluctuations,low interst rates on savings,and the ever increasing threat to pension payments.

Actually I could live as cheaply, if not more so, in California. Gas is cheaper, wine is cheaper and much better, cheese, etc. I miss things there, but when I'm there I miss things here. Oh well, I can go back and forth, but hate the flight!

If thailand ever gets its act together and can raise the standard of living for its citizens by improving education,implement social welfare,good public health,finally deal with rubbish collection,water conservation etc it might get somewhere,but to do this taxes will have to rise and as a consequence wages will rise which will infate prices,then the current retirees will find it difficult to stay here.

The other needed to change is the concept of bribes,tea money,and the ever siphoning off of money allocated to provincial govts. to fix their area up.Take Samui,money was allocated to fix up the ring road around the island and make it all bitumen,only half was accomplished,probably because the money ran out,and the cause of this is the usual money in the back pocket "thank you very much".

And until they fix this problem of red shirts versus yellow shirts,thailand will be going nowhere.

Thailand is often very proud that they have never been ruled by a colonial power,but in hindsight it might have been very good for them in all areas of development.Their proudness of thailand for thais while admirable is i think a hinderance to moving forward.

Those of us that will no longer be able to afford thailand in the future will move to cheaper places,so yes the demographics of farangs in thailand will change.

Didn't Japan in essence occupy Thailand during WW 2? Thai's have made a mess out of their resort areas, over development, without developing the infrastructure. Cut down all the native trees and plant money crops. LOS is losing it's smile, sadly!