Nature

soohk

^^^^ That is surely not done with a kit lens?

It certainly was,it was talen with my 55-210 lens,although I may add it involved some serious balancing with me perched on top of an old plastic

chair......much to the amusement of our neighbors.

Just as a request - it would be nice if posters could add some info about pics. Especially where taken - at least the general area. Also if the animal is known. What gear used can be of interest also.

I think that is a very fair and just request Mousehound.Adding info,especially in this thread can be benificial to us all.

My photo above of the dragonfly (front garden Kalasin)

Camera Sony ILCE-6000 Lens E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Focal Length 210mm Exposure 1/400 F Number f/6.3 ISO 160

A little late now I know,but will try to add the info with any future pics.

• Like 1

Khosum Phisai Monkey Sanctuary

On our way over to Mahasarakham we stopped over at the monkey santuary for a while.

Luckily for the monkey's there we had 25 kilo lamyai in the pickup that we were taking to the family

in M'kham.A couple of kilos were shared out with this guy and his friends.

monkey-06587.jpg

Lens E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Focal Length 94mm Exposure 1/2000 F Number f/5.6 ISO 800

Edited by shaggy1969
  • Like 2

The lotus eaters.

attachicon.giflotus eat.JPG

And presumably the parent moth.

attachicon.giflotus moth.JPG

A flock of plaintive cuckoo's were having a great feast on these caterpillars which had almost stripped the lotus leaves of a small swamp.

Oops, forgot, now supposed to put down what they were taken with.

Cannon SX50HS, I find it best to stand back 2 or 3m and zoom in on anything small rather than trying to use macro. If I try to get close things just up and leave.

Contrast enhanced a bit with PhotoScape.

Not very likely that this is a moth. The clubbed antenna would indicate a butterfly and the raised forewings at rest show it as a Dart sp. Most of the Darts are uncommon to rare. It is hard to identify but it would help if I knew what region you were in when you took the shot. Good work by the way - not easy to get these clearly.

The lotus eaters.

attachicon.giflotus eat.JPG

And presumably the parent moth.

attachicon.giflotus moth.JPG

A flock of plaintive cuckoo's were having a great feast on these caterpillars which had almost stripped the lotus leaves of a small swamp.

Oops, forgot, now supposed to put down what they were taken with.

Cannon SX50HS, I find it best to stand back 2 or 3m and zoom in on anything small rather than trying to use macro. If I try to get close things just up and leave.

Contrast enhanced a bit with PhotoScape.

Not very likely that this is a moth. The clubbed antenna would indicate a butterfly and the raised forewings at rest show it as a Dart sp. Most of the Darts are uncommon to rare. It is hard to identify but it would help if I knew what region you were in when you took the shot. Good work by the way - not easy to get these clearly.

In Singburi Mousehound, taken 28/9/2014.

Found a dead dragonfly on the floor this morning. Decided its death should not be in vain....

15297371570_131f968b4c_o.jpgPA090014 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

15484525695_029e561c13_o.jpgPA090014-2 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

Awesome! mind sharing how you captured this? Thanks.

Olympus E-M1 with Olympus 60mm lens. Put the wing on a piece of clear plastic sticking out from a shelf over a white-ish floor. White paper would have done as well.

• Like 2

Well I didn't expect to see that FR if the truth was known!........,amazing shot.

With what weapon and lens did you achieve it with?and is this the original image or was it cropped?

Thanks,Shaggy

Olympus E-M1 with Olympus 60mm Macro. Slightly cropped. I focused on the web/web generation device rather than the spider itself (have some other shots of the spider).

Nice shot of a St Andrew's Cross spider. I am very interested in the camera set up. Without being critical try lowering the exposure and crank up the contrast a notch. You might find a more dramatic effect this way - just a suggestion. Have you tried this camera with any lenses other than Olympus?

Here is the rest of the spider:

15570765815_0cbd902692_o.jpgPA140192 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

Nice shot of a St Andrew's Cross spider. I am very interested in the camera set up. Without being critical try lowering the exposure and crank up the contrast a notch. You might find a more dramatic effect this way - just a suggestion. Have you tried this camera with any lenses other than Olympus?

Here is the rest of the spider:

15570765815_0cbd902692_o.jpgPA140192 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

I use it with Panasonic M431 lenses too; plus I have a selection of old Russian lenses which are fun (see earlier post today for an example).

My regular visitor Yellowhead lizard just brought her new baby to the visit. I'm happy. I have now seen the cycle of one generation.

Yellowhead mating (6 moths ago) http://oilinki.com/blog/lizards-mating-top-tree

She came for her regular visit (1 month ago) http://oilinki.com/blog/yellowhead-lizard-came-visit

Finally today she brought her baby (today) http://oilinki.com/blog/baby-yellowhead

This one looks quite the same as her mother, just smaller scaled version of her. The yellow head is unique for both of them, at least compared to the lizards I have seen here.

IMG_4843.JPG

IMG_4839.JPG

^^^ Oilinki....Monitor lizards become quite "tame" (term used very lose) & they're good to have around.

Rats & snakes are always on their menu....so are eggs BTW. Try to offer the "baby" an egg....see what

happens. Just be mindful of your fingers at first, it may be a bit agressive but as time goes by that will

change and you can have em feeding from your hand...very gently I may add. Bit messy though...

@sunshine: That could be a fun experiment, but I try not to offer them any food. Same with the monkeys. Serving the animals food is ok until the food lasts. If they get used to getting treats and there is none, they might protest the situation :)

I really like to have these lizards around. I have seen only one cobra for the past couple of years as compared to almost weekly sightings before the lizards decided this is a good place to hunt food.

^^^ "O"....Never offer any monkeys or apes (no tails) any food whatsoever unless you are willing to mediate

in simian squabbles which can be very nasty. The monitors are very comfortabe around humans whether

you offer the morsels or not....it just takes time for them to become accustomed to you so they do not

perceive you as a threat to their way of life. They are scavengers and that's it...period. When one feeds

"monkeys" or apes...their simian ways (not unlike starving humans) appear and the "feeder" is up for nasty

surprises. Lizards aren't like this...not even if there are dozens around your feet. That said they may squabble

amongst themselves but will rearely proffer you any agro unless you get in their way. But Komodo's are

completely different! And that's another story not for here.

Try a fresh egg or two with the baby...put the egg(s) on the ground and observe it's reactions. Next try to

hold the egg in the palm of your hand and see what happens (takes huge brass balls). Don't come back

& blame me if the lil lizard bites you....just don't show it any fear. You will be surprised just how gentle

these prehistoric ancestors can be.

Now....If one takes a particular liking to you....well... PM me on that OK!

Don't be shy....Monitors are really OK beasties. Very misunderstood and way over-rated....they simply

look wicked to many folks that's all.

That's just my opinion though....however I have been involved with some huge monitors out here over

the years & I still have all my appendages attached & working as they should.

Monitors are... by far & wide...my favourite reptile.