Nature

soohk

For the butterfly experts.

attachicon.gifgreen butterfly.JPG

It looks a bit like Large Peacock (Papilio bianor pinratanai) but doesn't quite match with what I have in my butterfly book. Rated as rare and confined to Eastern Thailand.

Hopefully someone would come along and ID it postively.

The underwings, the bits with the tail, are light blue when in flight, you can see a little of that color on one side.

Was taken at Pa la U waterfall west of Hua hin.

It looks a bit like Large Peacock (Papilio bianor pinratanai) but doesn't quite match with what I have in my butterfly book. Rated as rare and confined to Eastern Thailand.

The underwings, the bits with the tail, are light blue when in flight, you can see a little of that color on one side.

Yeah I noticed that bluish patch on the hind wing. Too tough for me Robby and I could be completely off the mark.

Did a bit of googling and found this: http://yutaka.it-n.jp/pap/10460040.html

Not sure if Hua Hin is within its distribution range.

Only looks to be only one eye spot on the rear wing Jack so probably a related but different species.

Here is another one from the same place, they have a board with sought after species pictures on it and this one was at the top of the butterflies.

post-12069-0-31733000-1411527535_thumb.j

I should take more notice of these things but I was there mostly looking for birds, but I click away at anything that takes my fancy,

• Like 1

Found it jack Papilio paris - Paris Peacock

https://www.flickr.com/photos/beautiful_bugs/13999345499/in/pool-1682186@N25

Site has over 1700 photos on there, will bookmark it for future reference.

Edited by Robby nz

Found it jack Papilio paris - Paris Peacock

https://www.flickr.com/photos/beautiful_bugs/13999345499/in/pool-1682186@N25

Site has over 1700 photos on there, will bookmark it for future reference.

Good work Robby..that's the one! Good link too for future ref.

You wouldn't know it; Papilio paris paris is just one page after bianor pinratanai...lol!

What threw me was the metallic green dusting doesn't show in my book. Ah well...

Btw, your latest pic is that of a Common Bluebottle..this I am quite confident...and the one in the background...perhaps Red Helen?