Nature

soohk

Anybody have an ID on this nicely camouflaged moth?

Saw it on a gardening glove yesterday morning....

attachicon.gifIMG_0108.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0110.JPG

I came across one of those for the first time last year and was curious also about it's name.

Daphnis nerii (formerly Deilephila nerii), known as the Oleander Hawk-moth Or Army Green Moth

Thanks Shaggy...At this time of the year being close to the mangroves we have an

abundance of butterflies & moths of all types. They're not shy either and many will

simply land on ones arm, face, head etc. I reckon it must be the start of breeding

season for some and the end for others as we had a huge black moth fly into our

home, land in a freshly emptied dog food bowl, flapped its wings a bit then died.

Wingtip to wingtip it measured just a tad bit under 6" and the white stripe on each

side was continuous...pretty thing to see when flying. We also have huge Goliath

moths & usually find them on tree trunks & branches.

This Dielephilia Nerii has a beaut of a camo pattern the shades of green and pink

and the brown to black, which really isn't black but just a very dark brown...it was

a rare sight to see it on the glove...perhaps taking a break from flight?! If it was on

a plant you'd be very hard pressed to see it.

White striped moth pic below....ID would help and be appreciated! Looks like it's

been in a few scraps earlier in its lifecycle...

post-146250-0-17302500-1404532485_thumb.

• Like 2

@ Sunshine

Tropica Swallow Tail moth (Lyssa zampa), an uraniid moth distributed from North East Himalaya to South China and Thailand, also Philippine, Sulawesi, Borneo and the Malayan Peninsula. This species is relatively common particularly in montane forest, where it’s been recorded as high as 2600m on Mount Kinabalu. The caterpillar of this species feeds on plants of the Genus Endospermum in the family Euphorbiaceae.

• Like 1

^^^ Thanks much! I'm trying to compile some info on the different ones

we have around the property when I se em...but seeing them isn't

that easy most of the time. Is there a book available?

^^^^Out of like shaggy, looks like that new camera is serving you well.

Maybe it stopped by to admire your finely groomed toenails. laugh.png

Must of been that nectar flavored nail polish I was using.......Me love you long time,me no butterfly.

Those were taken last year actually with my old P&S,it it had been the new camera the buttefly

would of probably need to stay at least half an hour before I got everything set up right facepalm.gif

• Like 2

Looks like the "Common Indian Crow" Euloea core godartii

Beauty and the Beast.

Any idea what this creature is and it's location?

P1030774-001.JPG

WARNING !!!!........Move on to the next post if you are eating or of a light stomach.

Ok then,but I did warn you w00t.gif

P1030773-001.JPG

This little chap paid me a visit whilst I was giving my little boy his morning bottle of milk.

My camera was close by so I reached out and grabbed it,half expecting the butterfly to

fly off and be on it's merry way before I could turn on my camera and grab hopefully one shot.

As you can see by the photos below my little friend was not camera shy and ended up staying

quite happily on my big toe for a couple of minutes.

The hard part was trying to contort myself into a position where I could get the best shot of my

visitor......so that meant one of my legs was raised and twisted cockeyed ,camera in one hand

and bottle of milk in the other still feeding my little one.I only wish someone would of had a

camera to take a photo of me trying to take a shot of the butterfly whilst still feeding the little one.

Who said Men can't multitask ........coffee1.gif

attachicon.gifP1030769.JPG attachicon.gifP1030770.JPG attachicon.gifP1030772.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030774.JPG attachicon.gifP1030776-001.JPG attachicon.gifP1030777.JPG

• Like 1