Nature

soohk

Maybe it is just a Leaf-hopper like the one I spotted today on the Basil plants , this one is a different colour though it has many similarities to the green fella .

ie ; small , bug , on a leaf ? I am no good at identification , surprised these little guys let me take their photo at all smile.png

P1060064%2BBug%2Bon%2BBasil.jpg

Another great shot. Keep them coming - this is better than watching Game of Thrones.

As I understand it the crickets and katydid are very close so can be difficult. But, I mostly find katydid are on shrubs or thick stemmed plants and often higher up. Crickets seem to prefer lower situations and like grasses. Especially of course mole-crickets that like to burrow. But I am no expert.

I often see reference to bugs - a term that really only applies to insects suck sap or juice of other insects.

The insect world is truly amazing. I would put money on it that anyone could find a new species (unrecorded or classified) in a single day if they looked hard. Similarly, you could become an expert in one insect in a matter of months if not weeks. The trick is to stay away from pest species as these are indeed studied heavily owing to their economic implication.

There are at least 20k species of moth in Australia alone that are unrecorded. The ones I am looking at are between 2-10mm long and very drab. But they are largely responsible for the breaking down of leaf matter in forests and without them we would be meters under leaves in no time.

get yourself a magnifying glass and look over plants, and in corners and crevices of buildings and you will be surprised what you can find. I also have a pair of "Papillion" binoculars that function as a low level microscope. With these I can scan a bush or bit of ground from say a meter and I will find things I just don't notice normally. I also have a cheap electronic microscope which hooks directly to the computer which is also helpful.

Enjoying your work guys - keep it up.

• Like 2

Another great shot. Keep them coming - this is better than watching Game of Thrones.

<snip, with apologies>

Enjoying your work guys - keep it up.

1. Oh no it isn't! (Sorry, Goompa) tongue.png

2. +1 Completely agree, this is stunning stuff.

Edited by Rob8891

The insect world is truly amazing. I would put money on it that anyone could find a new species (unrecorded or classified) in a single day if they looked hard. Similarly, you could become an expert in one insect in a matter of months if not weeks. The trick is to stay away from pest species as these are indeed studied heavily owing to their economic implication.

There are at least 20k species of moth in Australia alone that are unrecorded. The ones I am looking at are between 2-10mm long and very drab. But they are largely responsible for the breaking down of leaf matter in forests and without them we would be meters under leaves in no time.

One thing on my bucket list is to name one beautiful animal by the name of my birth town and one drab insect with the name of the rivalry town. Simply for the fun of it. Well, also to pay back for that the rivalry town students come to my town once a year. They come and jump together in the middle of the city trying to sink it to the mud the town is build on. :)

The more you educate us, the more we'll appreciate the differences between various types of insects and slowly we'll learn to notice even the ones which were just bugs for us before. The same applies to birds, snakes, fish and other animals we see in the nature.

OK - now you are just teasing me.

Goompa how big was this?

The distinguishing features are :

size

markings/colour

antennae - here held below the wings (important)

the palpi are massive and sharply pointed - sickle shaped- upturned(important)

woolly head

antennae have scales at base

no proboscis seen

wings are slightly roof shaped but flattened over the body.

heavy scaling to wings

forelegs are splayed out and body held flat to surface

• Like 1

One thing on my bucket list is to name one beautiful animal by the name of my birth town and one drab insect with the name of the rivalry town. Simply for the fun of it. Well, also to pay back for that the rivalry town students come to my town once a year. They come and jump together in the middle of the city trying to sink it to the mud the town is build on. smile.png

The more you educate us, the more we'll appreciate the differences between various types of insects and slowly we'll learn to notice even the ones which were just bugs for us before. The same applies to birds, snakes, fish and other animals we see in the nature.

Nice idea!

As for educating people. It is kind of you to suggest I might be doing that but I'm not so sure. To be frank, I am a self taught amateur and really don't know a lot. I have been lucky enough to hang about and work with very knowledgeable scientists and I guess a little rubs off. On the botanical side I really am hopeless. I have been an ornithologist for over 50years and know a bit about birds but as the old saying goes - the more you learn the less you know. I must say that I recommend studying the world around you to anyone - especially if you are under stress or feeling a bit down. And as I have said before I get great pleasure in seeing the posts here: and for a moment it is if I am back in my beloved Thailand, with my son on a field trip armed with cameras.

• Like 1

This tiny wasp was in my teacup as I was reading this site last night. It is about 3mm long. I had my little Celestron hand held microscope/camera with me and took this shot.

This looks like a type of mantis wasp. They cling to a preying mantis and get carried about until the mantis lays her eggs at which time the wasp lays its eggs into those of the mantis.post-61254-0-63612400-1420609797_thumb.j

• Like 2

This tiny wasp was in my teacup as I was reading this site last night. It is about 3mm long. I had my little Celestron hand held microscope/camera with me and took this shot.

This looks like a type of mantis wasp. They cling to a preying mantis and get carried about until the mantis lays her eggs at which time the wasp lays its eggs into those of the mantis.attachicon.gifTea cup wasp Jan 2015 home.jpg

Why do they do this action , is it for security within the egg casing of the Mantis , or are they parasitic ?

This looks like a type of mantis wasp. They cling to a preying mantis and get carried about until the mantis lays her eggs at which time the wasp lays its eggs into those of the mantis.attachicon.gifTea cup wasp Jan 2015 home.jpg

Why do they do this action , is it for security within the egg casing of the Mantis , or are they parasitic ?

parasitic.

Bug of the Day , Goompa style ( uncooked ) smile.png

" A long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll " , check out the little fella below getting all Jiggy wit it ! Yeah I forgot to take me meds again facepalm.gif

P1060039%2BOrange%2BBugs.jpg

Now these are real bugs. By the way I love the colour and bokeh you get with your shots.

Edited by Mousehound
  • Like 1

Goompa, can u also tell me how to make a new topic? I wanna find a private teacher for Thai...

I am really just a follower lucky , I have never started a new topic so I cannot help there much , well not at all really .

Maybe someone else whom is viewing can help you there , really I am just here for the camaraderie , a great bunch of misfits here , well speaking for me first though .

I cannot feel to highly for the Toggers here , they are fantastic , just beware the dark side in General Forums mate

Cheers