Nature

soohk

Some kinda lizard thing

some kinda lizard in BKK by mrhitchens, on Flickr

Ahhhhh...The Southeast Asian Water Monitor...Varanus salvator...just as at home

in the water as it is on land. Have heaps around our place in Ranong. A couple of

em even have namesas they're kinda friendly...in a big lizard sort of way...

These big critters are endemic out here David.

They sure are big mean looking dinosaurs to be roaming around the the public parks, though no more harmful than a so dog I would guess

Much less harmful than a soi dog David. The monitors will just scurry away pretty quickly and

they can move very fast if they have to. One note of caution...Never get one backed into a

corner with its only way out being through you. It's not the bite, which can be nasty as they

like to eat carrian as well as their favourite thing eggs and can have nasty bacteria in the mouth,

it's their claws and tail that will do most of the damage. The claws are attached to feet attached

to very powerful legs and the claws are razor sharp. Your arms or legs will be shredded in very

short order. They can use their tail as a whip which can lay a leg or arm open to the bone.

Even the juveniles around 10-12 inches long can cause a person some nasty grief.

They don't attack as some soi dogs will do...they prefer defensive retreat!

Mind you...not all soi dogs are vicious ya know, many are down right friendly & just want a

forever home, we have 4 ex-soi dogs in our tribe of 6.

• Like 1

Watsons Wight.

attachicon.gifB F watson's wight.JPG

have you got the Latin name for this? can't find it in my records.

Thanks

According to the little book I have it is ; Iton watsonii

Also on page 7 as per https://www.flickr.com/groups/1682186@N25/pool/page7

About halfway down the page on the left, no Latin name given.

Edited by Robby nz
  • Like 1

Thanks Mousehound , maybe you can identify this one

I thought it was a juvenile Assassin bug , but it has wings , so no idea , Cheers

P3150020.jpg

Hemipterans are an interesting group in that they are generally good friends of the gardener clearing out lots of pests. They have a three segmented probe and are able to give you an impressive stab wound with it if handled poorly. Some sp have poisons and sticky hairs on their front legs to help defeat their prey. The nymph starts off wingless but during the five instar stages develops wings. So adults do have wings. I am pretty sure that this is an adult form but I don't know the precise sp. Typically they have a tapered section behind the eyes that resembles a neck. Most of the other hemiptera that are also predatory are aquatic.

Edited by Mousehound
  • Like 1