Lotto Winner Confirmed

george

Lotto winner confirmed

BANGKOK: -- The husband of the winner of the Bt100-million lottery held a press conference yesterday to confirm that his wife won the jackpot and that she had taken the winning ticket with her on a trip to Rayong province.

Rangsan Chaeprasert said his wife Kulap had bought the ticket from vendor Wichian Ariyasawet, 54, and was currently visiting relatives.

He declined for security reasons to say when she would be coming home, but said they had not yet decided when to collect the jackpot money.

The couple lives in the Din Daeng area of Bangkok and owns the Thepjakrawan Apartment block.

Rangsan said they planned to use the money to build two new apartment buildings, one costing Bt40 million in Intamara 1 and the other costing Bt60 million near the new Suvarnabhumi Airport.

A portion of the money will be used to finance the completion of a pavilion at Kunontheerutharam temple.

Wichian said Bt100 million was the most money ever won by an individual in the government lottery.

--The Nation 2005-06-19

He declined for security reasons to say when she would be coming home
If she's got the ticket, probably never. :D
but said they had not yet decided when to collect the jackpot money.

Crikey, if that was me I'd be collecting the money faster than smell off a monkey.

:o

Crikey, if that was me I'd be collecting the money faster than smell off a monkey.

I'd have the money collected and stashed away days before even thinking about talking to the press.

In Canada, there are packs of professional "poor" people that go to every (big) lottery winner and try to scam them for money (sounds like a certain class of girls in LOS, just with slightly different stories and no "rewards" for the generous givers). The usual "I need 5grand for my daughter's liver transplant", "I just need 10 grand to start this business, I gaurantee 'll pay you back double in a year" and so on.

One elderly lady in BC (late 60's). Retired school teacher, lived in the town all her life. Won about 2 million (Cdn). About a month later she had to move out of town. People were calling her 24 hours a day, and knocking on her door all day and night, trying to get hand-outs from her.

The police couldn't post 24 hour security at her house, and when she changed phone numbers, it only took a couple of days for the scammers to learn the new number (having an unlisted number didn't help it seems). She finally gave up and moved out of town.

Pity it wasn't won, but someone who didn't have any money in the first place. Rather than someone who it seems, was well off in the first place.

It is a bit annoying. People who are already rich by normal standards, winning even more.

A couple of years back, a couple in Vancouver (Canada) won the jackpot. They owned an upscale restaurant on the north shore and were reportedly worth over 5 million $.

Then they go and win a 7.6 million $ jackpot ! What are they going to do ? Put some in the bank, maybe give some to their kids, and carry on working.

Then they go and win a 7.6 million $ jackpot ! What are they going to do ? Put some in the bank, maybe give some to their kids, and carry on working.

That's maybe the smartest thing to do. Apparently most lottery winners go broke within a couple of years after winning the lottery.

The couple lives in the Din Daeng area of Bangkok and owns the Thepjakrawan Apartment block.

There goes the security. A pity that an already rich couple won the lottery and not someone poorer.

Why? They are going to go and build some low cost housing and will create job opportunities (guards, clerks, + the mini economy that goes with just about every apartment complex) with their winnings. Poor people typically do not do that and often just end up doing those "lotto winners now bankrupt and in debt" 10 minute documentaries on ITV.