Thai Banks Charging For Atm Withdrawals

GuyDow

The majority of the Thai banks introduced charges last year if you used a non-Thai ATM card to draw cash from their ATMs. After a bit of hunting around I found out that Bank of Ayutthya was not making a charge and I merrily took advantage of their ATM services.

This week the Bank of Ayuttya has introduced a charge of B150 if you use a foreign ATM card in their machines.

Are there any other ATMs out there that are still free of charge?

I did hear if you go into the branch of any bank and use your foreign ATM card to make a cash withdrawal over the counter, then there is no charge. Can anyone confirm this?

I did hear if you go into the branch of any bank and use your foreign ATM card to make a cash withdrawal over the counter, then there is no charge. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes I have been doing this for years with my Nationwide Flexi Account debit card, always ask for the amount in baht not your home currency, they give an exchange rate but when it hits my a/c Nationwide uses the offshore rate which is higher than the banks here so it does save you the fees whilst getting a good exchange rate. In addition the Aeon bank atm s do not charge a fee as they are a Japanese Company.

Another advantage of the AEON atms is that they have a much larger ceiling of Thai baht one can withdraw.

So, without fee, I can withdraw 40k baht and walk across and deposit it in my Bangkok Bank savings account, from which I can withdraw smaller amounts when needed without fee.

I did try searching around to get over the counter service, but none would accept my particular card, and they would have limited me to either 20 or 25k.

Yes I have been doing this for years with my Nationwide Flexi Account debit card, always ask for the amount in baht not your home currency, they give an exchange rate but when it hits my a/c Nationwide uses the offshore rate which is higher than the banks here so it does save you the fees whilst getting a good exchange rate. In addition the Aeon bank atm s do not charge a fee as they are a Japanese Company.

The Flex account card is, presumably, a VISA debit card !?

That being the case, the exchange rate will be set by VISA.

Do VISA charge the standard 1% fee on these manual transactions, and do Nationwide pass them on ?

Be careful you may get to avoid the fees but what about the exchange rate?shock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gif

Next time bring your calculator with you :)

It's is always with me, I am not like the local shop assistants that can't subtract 50 from 100 without a calculator.crazy.gif

Do VISA charge the standard 1% fee on these manual transactions, and do Nationwide pass them on ?

I also bank with Nationwide. The Baht amount is converted to Sterling using a competitve exchange rate by Nationwide and there are no additional charges. By competitive I mean it is a lot better than the rates used by other banks or card issuers I have experience of.

The Flex account card has a Visa logo on it but they do not appear to be involved in processing the payment. I guess they just provide the communications infrastructure.

I use AEON all the time now.

No fees, good rate.

Before we start slagging off Thai banks too much though, I have an account with BankSA in Australia that charges me AUD$15 for an overseas withdrawal. :)

Needless to say I rarely use that account in Thailand.

Purple... sort of. The ones in Chiang Rai are in the Top supermarket mall.

http://www.aeonthailand.com/lang/en/menu/AEON_Credit_Cards

If you hunt through the site you may find list of ATMs.

Spot on Sir, Thanks:

1 Lotus South Pattaya 2 nd Floor Lotus South Pattaya - - -

2 Home work Pattaya 1 st Fl. Home work Pattaya - - -

3 Carrefour Pattaya Klang 2 nd Fl Carrefour Pattaya Klang

• 3 weeks later...

I also bank with Nationwide. The Baht amount is converted to Sterling using a competitve exchange rate by Nationwide and there are no additional charges. By competitive I mean it is a lot better than the rates used by other banks or card issuers I have experience of.

The Flex account card has a Visa logo on it but they do not appear to be involved in processing the payment. I guess they just provide the communications infrastructure.

Is this possible to do with any Thai Bank? I'd prefer to do it Kasikorn if possible and no charge. I'll then get charged fee for depositing the funds, guess there's no way around that unless I did a transfer from UK

Thanks