Power Cuts

Hi All,

Qucik question for you as this will be important to me for my work, does Samui still get power cuts often? Or is it limited to the area you are staying in?

Thanks in advance,

steve

In the last 18 months I have had 2 power cuts lasting several hours. Sadly both have been in the last few weeks!! If you had asked a fortnight ago I would have said there is absolutely no problem at all.

I am in Bophut.

Define old?

I am on about 4MB when I do the speedtest that is a part of this forum. Pretty reliable too. To be honest I have been impressed. I know people who rely on the net for work and all of them seem to cope.

Hope this helps?

If you are using a laptop and connect to the mains via a UPS, you should get at least four or more hours uninterrupted internet access anyway in case of a power cut.

Speeds using TOT adsl are acceptable (to me anyway).

Define old?

I am on about 4MB when I do the speedtest that is a part of this forum. Pretty reliable too. To be honest I have been impressed. I know people who rely on the net for work and all of them seem to cope.

Hope this helps?

which isp are you using?

cheers

steve

If you are using a laptop and connect to the mains via a UPS, you should get at least four or more hours uninterrupted internet access anyway in case of a power cut.

Speeds using TOT adsl are acceptable (to me anyway).

cheers for the reply yorkie, will look into ups setup

thanks

steve

When it comes to a UPS the only brand to buy is APC. Also make sure it is earthed. A non-grounded UPS is a waste of time, there is nowhere for the surge to go...

I have an APC 800VA powering a modem and switch - it runs for approximately 6 hours. A 500VA will get you around 4 hours. I also have a 3000VA Smart-UPS which powers my server for around 15 hours (or a modem and switch for 1 day or so...)

The best ISP on the island is 3BB. I wouldn't advise TOT. It's international bandwidth isn't great at all.

Hope This Helps,

Matt.

When it comes to a UPS the only brand to buy is APC. Also make sure it is earthed. A non-grounded UPS is a waste of time, there is nowhere for the surge to go...

I have an APC 800VA powering a modem and switch - it runs for approximately 6 hours. A 500VA will get you around 4 hours. I also have a 3000VA Smart-UPS which powers my server for around 15 hours (or a modem and switch for 1 day or so...)

The best ISP on the island is 3BB. I wouldn't advise TOT. It's international bandwidth isn't great at all.

Hope This Helps,

Matt.

cheers again Matt for the info mate, when we move over think we might pop in for a chat if that ok.

thanks again mate,

steve

No worries. PM me (when it's working!)

Matt.

cheers pal, will do

is the ups setup easy to get on samui? is it something we could purchase from you? price?

cheers again mate, you have been a great help with all our questions

steve

Yes, no problem to get here. There's a large chain store that sells them. If they don't have the one you're after I can get one for you.

The APC brand is the industry standard.

Matt.

cheers Matt will be in touch.

steve

The power goes often when it rains.

Be aware that if you intend to work here you need a work permit.

its not really working its checking emails more than anything.. we have a team of people who do the work, but i do need check my emails few times a day

Like I said, don't worry about it...

I've had a power cut today from 8am - 4pm and used a 1500VA APC UPS to power my modem and laptop all day. No problem at all. The ADSL doesn't require power to work, just power for the modem and laptop.

Also if your ADSL lines are installed properly you don't need to worry about rain. I have around 12 lines here for different businesses and none of them go down in the rain It's more often due to the ISP messing something up... However lightning is a different story... The ISP is supposed to install a lightning surge protector outside your earth with a proper earth connection. Sometimes they don't install the earth cable as my equipment found out once... :)

Matt.

Like I said, don't worry about it...

I've had a power cut today from 8am - 4pm and used a 1500VA APC UPS to power my modem and laptop all day. No problem at all. The ADSL doesn't require power to work, just power for the modem and laptop.

Also if your ADSL lines are installed properly you don't need to worry about rain. I have around 12 lines here for different businesses and none of them go down in the rain It's more often due to the ISP messing something up... However lightning is a different story... The ISP is supposed to install a lightning surge protector outside your earth with a proper earth connection. Sometimes they don't install the earth cable as my equipment found out once... :)

Matt.

yeah everything sounds good too me mate, cheers pal will be in touch

steve

• 1 month later...

:angry: Here we go again, power down for four hours now ! The most inept managed power supply in the country ! Is it that difficult to get qualified personnel here ?

:angry: Here we go again, power down for four hours now ! The most inept managed power supply in the country ! Is it that difficult to get qualified personnel here ?

To get a job with the power company on Samui, your CV must show you are a fully paid up, qualified Muppet!:annoyed:

With the IQ of a single celled organism.....................

To get a job with the power company on Samui, your CV must show you are a fully paid up, qualified Muppet!:annoyed:

Kick 'em all out and replace with female technicians. They are ten times more diligent and and competent than the males on this island ! Just imagine how much better and efficient an all female run administration and infrastructure would be ! Crusty for Governor !

Power cuts every bloody day now. :annoyed: When it rains, when the wind get up and when a butterfly flaps it's wings in China!! Think I'm gonna invest in a UPS........

Or a generator...

Good idea! How much is a generator??? From Tescos, I presume.....

Not Tesco. There are a few electrical shops around the island that carry them. Price?It depends on the KVA .

At least they're raising their standards. ;)

My electric has been off and on the last few days, but now I have about 110v. Does anyone else have this problem?

Where are you on the island? 110v is a nasty voltage for 230v devices!

I know at the moment at one of my sites in Lamai (the golf shooting range behind the temple) the voltage is still down a lot, probably around the same reading as you're seeing. The voltage is down enough to start the UPS's running and drain them, however there's enough voltage to power things in my friends houses, lights, fan, etc. A low voltage like that is very bad, god knows what it's doing to the compressors of fridges, etc!...

Matt.

My electric has been off and on the last few days, but now I have about 110v. Does anyone else have this problem?

Where are you on the island? 110v is a nasty voltage for 230v devices!

I know at the moment at one of my sites in Lamai (the golf shooting range behind the temple) the voltage is still down a lot, probably around the same reading as you're seeing. The voltage is down enough to start the UPS's running and drain them, however there's enough voltage to power things in my friends houses, lights, fan, etc. A low voltage like that is very bad, god knows what it's doing to the compressors of fridges, etc!...

Matt.

I am in Chaweng on the mountain. I was just guessing on the voltage. Lights and tv ok, but m/w, oven, washing machine are barely working. Does this sound normal?