Homeade Chilli

where are you feeling the effects?

I love chili...........curious if you used beef, and if so, Thai beef or imported beef?

Did you use a spice mix imported from the West? Local spices?

I have never had a good bowl of chili in Thailand sad.gif

I have eaten chili that was supposed to be "award winning" and Tequilla Reef in Pattaya bah.gif

Actually the beans are easy to come by, they sell red beans in two varieties, Dry and in the can at either bigC or tesco.

Since I cant find "chili powder" I was forced to make my own from ingredients here. the only component that was expensive was the oregano.

I made some really nice chili for a friends Mexican night. went well with the mohitos!

Greg

Actually the beans are easy to come by, they sell red beans in two varieties, Dry and in the can at either bigC or tesco.

Since I cant find "chili powder" I was forced to make my own from ingredients here. the only component that was expensive was the oregano.

I made some really nice chili for a friends Mexican night. went well with the mohitos!

Greg

Yes, red kidney beans are ubiquitous in Thailand.

Personally, if I'm in the mood for beans with my chili, I prefer pintos.

Sometimes I'll make a 2-bean chili with both pintos and kidney beans in there.

I suppose one could go for a 3-bean chili by adding black beans to the mix, also ubiquitous in Thailand.

However, I've only seen pintos at Villa.

I do prefer a solid proportion of meat to beans, no matter how many types of beans are used - about 50/50.

Fortunately, I have an ample supply of dried whole Mexican chiles brought from the US - ancho, california, new mexico, guajillo, pasilla, and others....

Greg

Tops sells real western chili powder.

It is great that you enjoy your homemade chili!

I eat the best chili, that I make at home, There are a hundred different ways to make chili , many US chile has beans , Mexican chili dose not. I enjoy both types. I have brought a big supply of US/Mexican chili with me.

I also am still trying to get 10 lbs of Pinto beans through Thai Customs, which I mailed to myself, Customs set a value of 1,500. baht on the beans and want a great amount for import tax and Value added tax. I have the receipts and sent copy of those to Thai customs still waiting for an answer. This is the 1st time in 10 years that I have had problems with items sent to me in the mail!

I have purchased Pinto beans in Pattaya at Foodland, Friendship , and Villas. In Bangkok at Foodland and Villas.

I made the mistake of dining at Tequila Reefs once, as every one was talking about the great Mexican food served there. The only positive thing I have to say ,they served large portions in their meals, which I could not eat and left most of the meal untouched.

If I did not have access to Mexican dried chile ,I would grind my own Thai chile until I found one that would be a close subsitute.

There is no one great Chilli , there are hundreds of ways to make them to your liking with or without beans.

Keep on Cooking!

Cheers: :)

Can we merge this with the "Best Mexican Food, Best Pizza, Best Burger" threads in here?

Got a better idea: Let's start a thread called "I am a food expert - so shut up" where people can play 'yes it is, no it isn't' all day long without cluttering up the forum.

Can we merge this with the "Best Mexican Food, Best Pizza, Best Burger" threads in here?

Got a better idea: Let's start a thread called "I am a food expert - so shut up" where people can play 'yes it is, no it isn't' all day long without cluttering up the forum.

It seems that we are not a food lover? Yes. :)

If someone can provide a basic recipe for chili power made with local (Thai) ingredients that would be great. I asked this question a few months ago and got no reply. But it seems that people are doing it "successfully" and getting a "base" that could be modified to taste would be a great help.

If someone can provide a basic recipe for chili power made with local (Thai) ingredients that would be great. I asked this question a few months ago and got no reply. But it seems that people are doing it "successfully" and getting a "base" that could be modified to taste would be a great help.

Mind you I have never done this myself, but if I had to do it I would go to the local Thai market, they have all kinds of dried Chile's. I would buy a dried Chile that have no additives (plain dried Chile should just be plain Chile).

I would take it home and grind the Chile in a food processor,blender or have my wife grind it in her mortar and prestal, To the dried Chile I would add dried garlic, oregano and cumin (Before I grind them all together).

I would test it and adjust the spices according to my taste. and go from there.

I Have never done it but if I had to that is the process I would try.

Good Luck:

Cheers:smile.gif

Mind you I have never done this myself, but if I had to do it I would go to the local Thai market, they have all kinds of dried Chile's. I would buy a dried Chile that have no additives (plain dried Chile should just be plain Chile).

I would take it home and grind the Chile in a food processor,blender or have my wife grind it in her mortar and prestal, To the dried Chile I would add dried garlic, oregano and cumin (Before I grind them all together).

Good Luck:

That sounds right. You can also add paprika (smoky, if you can get it) and granulated onion powder.

Good Luck:

That sounds right. You can also add paprika (smoky, if you can get it) and granulated onion powder.

Approximate "parts" would help. I would use fresh chilis that I have then dried at home. The large red and orange (combined) ones would be my first choice. Paprika is also a must, and a lot of it. Cumin, of course, and garlic and onion, dried and mixed into the chili power or added fresh into the chilli.

Here is a recipe I got off of the internet that looks pretty close (except that I would double or triple the paprika and half the garlic power (maybe use fresh garlic), but Mexican chilles are specified. Recommendations to tailor it to Thai ingredients? Be specific. Thanks.

"3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced

3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced

3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced

2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Directions

Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months."

As I have never made it before, I can not be more Specific!

I would use the Chile's you have dried at home, if you want it spicy I would add some Thai birds eye chile (Or any other dried Chile) You have to guesstimate how much to add, I would look up the Chile's on the Internet and make an estimate of the size (quantity) of the Chile to add.

After you make your 1st batch taste it and adjust it to your taste, if it lacks a Chile taste add more Chile etc. until it taste good to you.

Good Luck:

In a prior post #11 , I stated that I was having problems getting 10 lbs of beans and other food items by mail, I had received a bill for 1,100 baht on the shipment Thai customs valued at 3000 baht, 900 baht import tax and the rest value added tax. I wrote a letter to the post office and included the receipts with it, which the post office sent to Thai Customs.

Today the mail man brought the package to me, with no charges added.

I wish to thank the Thai Customs office for their fast and positive reply.

post-91962-044109500 1276072245_thumb.jp

Just wanted to show the contents of my package!

Edited by kikoman

There was thread I started last year about how spicy/hot chilli should be. A visitor who sampled it at Don's Cafe was quite vocal at what he considered to be the lack of chilli in the chilli.

Personally I think that if you make it for yourself, you make it as hot as you like, if you make it for others you make it mild and provide plenty of chilli sauce when you serve it.

a simple chili powder recipe.

Chili powder recipe

Greg

Chili con carne recipes vary greatly, from region to region, and indeed from town to town, in the US and Mexico.

Beans or no beans... really your choice - and I like both ways.

But as kikomon said, with beans is just American style (outside Texas). Its all good.

That said, however, I honestly don't think it is possible to get the right flavors making a chili powder using only Thai chilies.

Though a mixture of chiles is often the case in the West, the ancho chile is key, IMO.

I don't know of any Thai chile that come even close to the earthy flavor of ancho.

Ancho is not a piquant chile, The "heat" is essentially provided by other chiles in the mix.

I would think a chili powder made only of Thai chiles would come out too piquant for many folks, and lack the earthiness of the real deal.

Just my take.

There is, however, a Thai chile that is similar to a New Mexico chile, though slightly more piquant - called Prik Yam Khao.

Mostly these are picked green, but sometimes you can find them turning red. You can flame roast them, then skin and seed them.

These might work out as a nice compliment to the chile mixture (in moderation), but IMO you still need ancho as the primary chile.

Just as long as there in no tomato in there you are fine. Villa & Foodland sell pinto beans.

I like tomato in it (not overpowering the dish).........but many people do not.

Back to chiles...........I have experimented with the dried chiles in Thailand.........they produce just OK salsa........but it is never the same as "back home."

There is something about the smell of genuine Mexican dried chiles that sets them apart...........also taste.

There are very few Mexican dishes I can make that actually taste good (same for Chinese food..........maybe I am not destined to be a chef huh.gif)One of them is chili relleno.

I like to use fresh poblano stuffed with a shredded beef mixture...............but for the sauce, I use the ancho (dried form of poblano).

The ancho based sauce makes a huge difference in the dish.

Chipotle (dried and smoked from fresh jalapeno) is another dried chile that I think is essential.

I think, for Mexican seasoning, the combination of chipotle and ancho is a good one.............and oregano, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder.

where to get the beans that is the question cumin and chillies are easy.

I buy my Beans at Villa, in a can, but you can get them dried there as well, as for chilli spice French's makes a chili spice, same as gravy mix, I just add extra garlic.

I use a mix of hot bulk sausage and ground beef, brown in a deep pan, then adding a bit oil and add Yellow bell pepper, onion, celery, and japaleno peppers all diced. Thrown in a small can of tomatoes juice and let stew. Add the chilli powder a little as a time to taste. Now add the red beans and let stew for 30 minutes on low and done! If a little tart add some sugar or ketchup,or maybe some Tobasco to give a little extra zip of vinegar!!

Secret is tomato juice is better than fresh tomatoes in taste, try it you will see!

All can be found at Villa, Foodland, and I imagine Tops!!