Dual Pricing - On The Trains

st11x

G'day,

My wife was on the train from BKK to CNX and this was what she witnessed. There was a vendor that came around selling drinks, and there were scattered groups of farang backpapers and tourists in the same carriage as her.

Plain bottle of water - 15 THB, Farang 30 THB

3-in-1 Coffee - 30 THB, Farang 100 THB

Bottle of orange juice - 40 THB, Farang 100 THB

My wife bought the orange juice (already double the usual price as they are the types selling at 20 THB in the food courts), and when the vendor was selling to a farang, she flashed a wry smile at my wife as if to say, look, there's another sucker. How apt is the term "tourist trap"!

Imagine AirAsia or any of the budget airlines doing that!

Matt

G'day,

My wife was on the train from BKK to CNX and this was what she witnessed. There was a vendor that came around selling drinks, and there were scattered groups of farang backpapers and tourists in the same carriage as her.

Plain bottle of water - 15 THB, Farang 30 THB

3-in-1 Coffee - 30 THB, Farang 100 THB

Bottle of orange juice - 40 THB, Farang 100 THB

My wife bought the orange juice (already double the usual price as they are the types selling at 20 THB in the food courts), and when the vendor was selling to a farang, she flashed a wry smile at my wife as if to say, look, there's another sucker. How apt is the term "tourist trap"!

Matt

I would have told the farang about this and made sure some problems for the vendor would arise.

I would have told the farang about this and made sure some problems for the vendor would arise.

I would of paid 20 baht for the orange juice, explaining if that was a problem I could let all the farang on the train know the 'game', afterall, who cares about the tourists, I'm right Jack :)

Most certainly not get off the train without some "warnings" from the boss of the vendor, especially for an easy target since she was traveling by herself.

Matt

I really can't imagine Air Asia letting vendors on their planes.

100 Bht for a coffee on the train seems not unreasonable to me, and I'd be willing to pay that. I imagine that the people who can only afford the 40 bht train fare would struggle to pay 30. Let people pay what they are willing for services, and stop grizzling about other people's business transactions.

The increased prices that people pay for similar services - for example, air lines charge every passenger a different amount depending on where, how, when he bought his ticket. alllow them to spread the cost amongst the people wanting to fly according to their willingness to pay, so that people who could not afford to fly if the costs were spread evenly, can afford to fly, thus allowing economies of scale that allow us all to fly cheaper. I imagine the same thing applies to vendors selling coffee on trains, though perhaps his pricing strategy is not supported with quite such sophisticated marketing analysis as Air Asia or RyanAir use.

SC

SC

These items for sale are from a private individual who is running a business.

What business is it of yours if tourists are paying double and they are making a good profit...this is good business.

Capitalism alive and well...

If you live here you as a farang should speak enough Thai to get the local price...if not tough titties..

This is not what i would call dual pricing this is just capitalism and how it works and helped to get your big dollars to live here....

Now ask me about the National Park which tried to charge me 200 baht on Sunday when i was with my wife and 10 other Thai friends...

I refused to pay and went walking around the local market while my 10 bewildered and embarrassed Thai friends went swimming in the waterfall after paying 40baht each...

That is dual pricing my friend... blatant government authorised over charging of 5 times the amount for being a farang..

I really can't imagine Air Asia letting vendors on their planes.

Don't the steward/stewardess come around on the budget airlines to sell you drinks and snacks? Wouldn't it be odd if they sold you coffee for 30 and the guy behind you for 100?

That's not exactly the same line of thought as the pricing for tickets though, it's based on supply and demand, not who/what you are.

Neverdie has it right. She is running a private enterprise and if you can't speak enough Thai to avoid the rip off then tough luck.

Ripoffs happen the world over and having a little of the local language helps a great deal in these situations.

8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

Don't the steward/stewardess come around on the budget airlines to sell you drinks and snacks? Wouldn't it be odd if they sold you coffee for 30 and the guy behind you for 100?

That's not exactly the same line of thought as the pricing for tickets though, it's based on supply and demand, not who/what you are.

As I said, the vendor probably doesn't have quite the same market segmentation model that Air Asia has.

The vendor is a private entrepeneur, trying to provide as good a service to all his customers as their finances will allow.

On the other hand, the Air Asia stewardess is employed by the airline operator, and is charging money for the food and drink primarily to stifle demand and reduce the quantity that must be carried, thus reducing fuel costs for the airline. The vendor is making snap decisions on people's ability to pay, based on simple rules which he can apply, and vary, at his own discretion. The stewardess does not enjoy such discretion, and therefore it is simpler to operate with a fixed price structure, which has the advantage that it can be published in advertising leaflets on the aircraft. By charging 100 Bht for everyone, in your example, she stifles demand from those that cannot afford it, reducing the quantity of victuals that must be carried up to 10,000 metres and back down again, saving on fuel. There is no 30 Bht orange juice in her business model.

Perhaps you would be happier if the train vendor sold all his orange juice at 50 Bht? The tourists would not appreciate the benefit, the vendor would sell less to the locals, some of whom would end up thirsty, and no-one would be happier or better off for it.

SC

Now ask me about the National Park which tried to charge me 200 baht on Sunday when i was with my wife and 10 other Thai friends...

I refused to pay and went walking around the local market while my 10 bewildered and embarrassed Thai friends went swimming in the waterfall after paying 40baht each...

I would have shown my Thai driving licence and paid the 40bht everyone else paid.

Last time I went in a park with another white person, after showing my licence, they asked if he was Thai (like me), I said no, when they asked who would pay, I said farang pay pointing at my pal, and they laughed so much they let us both in for the Thai price .

As Smokie says

Learn to speak a little Thai

Edited by sarahsbloke

That is dual pricing my friend... blatant government authorised over charging of 5 times the amount for being a farang..

If you have and show a Thai driving licence then you can get in for the Thai price.

Edited by apetley

Neverdie has it right. She is running a private enterprise and if you can't speak enough Thai to avoid the rip off then tough luck.

Ripoffs happen the world over and having a little of the local language helps a great deal in these situations.

I also think that Neverdie got it right. If a Tourist is to lazy to learn the lingo before he comes to Thailand, all locals have the right to ripp them off. I mean thats just a little inconvinience for them and Thailand has no troubles to attract Tourists. :)

What business is it of yours if tourists are paying double and they are making a good profit...this is good business.

If you live here you as a farang should speak enough Thai to get the local price...if not tough titties..

This is not what i would call dual pricing this is just capitalism and how it works and helped to get your big dollars to live here....

You live here as a farang and you should be able to speak enough thai,heheheheheheh.

You havent got a thai driving license to get you the same price,now thats funny.

These vendors are free enterprise.

They get on at one stop then off at the next.

No boss to be informed. :)

If you do not like the price, buy before you board the train.

I just hate dual pricing and so i would certainly make some trouble for them. Its not that i feel so much for my fellow farang but more that i hate unfairness. I speak enough Thai to pay thai price but this is just a blatant rip off.

You live here as a farang and you should be able to speak enough thai,heheheheheheh.

You havent got a thai driving license to get you the same price,now thats funny.

I use my UK international driving licence. Last time i got stopped it had expired but the BiB didn't check that, he just wanted his 200baht tea money.

I should have got my Thai licence before when i had a work permit but now with my my current visa status

they want to see a letter from my embassy which costs 2000baht...&lt;deleted&gt; that dude.... I'm back in blighty next month...then when i come back with a

different visa the licence will be 200 baht with no letter necessary from embassy.

Never had a problem before at any national park / dream world etc...always paid the Thai price.

My spoken and reading of Thai is enough to communicate with the staff at the counter but they were having none of it.

The situation was were just travelling back from Koh Chang and stopped at a large waterfall...we were all dressed in shorts ready for a swim...

Not sure about you but when I'm travelling i don't like to carry anything but the essential bit of cash and an atm card...leaving your wallet on a pile of clothing in a national park while swimming...i'm really going to leave my whole wallet full of cards etc...Not.

Not a problem really..as i walked around teh local market and bought some new shirts and stuff with the entrance fee so i helped the local community more than just paying the 5 times higher price for the same deal as Thais.

the experience for me is the same its not 5 times greater...unless they were throwing in a free soapy bath with a local chick then i would have paid :) no problem...

I just hate dual pricing and so i would certainly make some trouble for them. Its not that i feel so much for my fellow farang but more that i hate unfairness. I speak enough Thai to pay thai price but this is just a blatant rip off.

Agree, rip off.

Don't understand some posters here about learn to speak Thai, so before you go on a holiday you need to learn te laguage that is B&%SH&T gentlemen.

If so i had to speak 23 languages.

The operator of the train didn't agree to let only foreigners pay 100 B for that cup off coffee, she is just ripping people of without knowledge of her employer.

On the train isn't a menu card said locals 30 B Foreigners 100 B.

Its a shame for Thailand and sad that foreigners who seems to agree with this, maybey to long in LOS.

If better take my kids to singapore Zoo than pay tripple the price at Dusit zoo just for me because i am a foreigner, not for me.

Thank you :)

yep ,,

just say, pang muc mar ,

and offer them half price .

no forget it .

stupid farang , deserves to be ripped off .

[Not sure about you but when I'm travelling i don't like to carry anything but the essential bit of cash and an atm card...leaving your wallet on a pile of clothing in a national park while swimming...i'm really going to leave my whole wallet full of cards etc...Not.

Thailand requires everyone to carry ID at all times, so I always have ATM card and Thai driving licence.

You don't need the 2000bht certificate of residency from your embassy, Thai immigration will do it for 500bht or less.

(more dual pricing but the other way, your own embassy charge 4x more than the Thai authorities)

and finally

I wouldn't pay 100bht for a coffee anywhere (well maybe in a proper Thai coffee shop ....... the sort with girls)

Edited by sarahsbloke

Thailand requires everyone to carry ID at all times, so I always have ATM card and Thai driving licence.

You don't need the 2000bht certificate of residency from your embassy, Thai immigration will do it for 500bht or less.

(more dual pricing but the other way, your own embassy charge 4x more than the Thai authorities)

and finally

I wouldn't pay 100bht for a coffee anywhere (well maybe in a proper Thai coffee shop ....... the sort with girls)

It depends on your visa status.

I went to get my licence and because i'm not on a work permit or yearly visa at the moment they want to see a residency letter from the embassy.

I went to immigration at Chaeng Wattana and spoke to the plod there and also the amphur (thinking i could just pay them off)

and they both said because of the visa situation i need the letter from the embassy.

no problem as when i come back i will have a year visa...then bobs ya uncle and sarahs a bloke and i'll get my licence. ;-)

From my humble experience for a train trip in Thailand to where-ever one should always be prepared.

A roll of toilet tissue.

Some bottled drinking water.

A good book.

A flashlight.

Mosquito repellant.

Some food and fruit.

Some bags for garbage disposal at destination.

Immodium capsules.

In case of overnight train.

Paper towels, tooth brush/paste, soap, comb.

Spare set of underwear.

Edited by Pushit

From my humble experience for a train trip in Thailand to where-ever one should always be prepared.

A roll of toilet tissue.

Some bottled drinking water.

A good book.

A flashlight.

Mosquito repellant.

Some food and fruit.

Some bags for garbage disposal at destination.

Immodium capsules.

In case of overnight train.

Paper towels, tooth brush/paste, soap, comb.

Spare set of underwear.

This is standard travel stuff...i normally take... and everybody should take when travelling....good list

except the immodium capsules...i like the runny poohs i do everyday from eating too many chillies...its so easy...

no tears or rips in my ringpiece from oversized turds like when i'm eating farang food back home in blighty... :)

My experience of long train journeys is it is best to buy some beer whiskey what ever is your chosen poisen at the 7/11 before you board, consume within the first hour or two and then hopefully when you awake most of the journey has disapeared and the pain subsides on arrival after some fruit and water and a para!.

The double pricing is of drinks and snacks is up to the person buying and how desperate you are for said item,i would not pay 100 bt for a 3in1 nescafe that cost 3 bt,but i guess some would....the same as in the Uk not many these days use the buffet car for food and drink...or going further back the motorway service station!! now they did go over the top on pricing.....dick turpin indeed.

In this thread, this quote comes to mind.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

-- Martin Luther King Jr.

As long as we are comfortable being cheated than nothing will change.

Don't know what Chiang Mai-Bangkok train you all have been traveling on lately but I have taken the Nakhon Ping special express (train nos. 1 & 2) three times in the past five weeks. A printed menu card is available from the concessionaire who does the food service for this route. There a few more food choices available on the Thai menu than on the English menu, but the prices are identical on both menus. And a cup of coffee will run ya 20 baht. :)

• Like 1

My wife and I recently experienced double pricing as well. In our case, both she (Thai) and I (American) had to pay twice the fare to enter Pompei. EU citizens only had to pay 5.50 euros, while the sucker tourists had to pay 11. So double pricing does exist outside of Thailand.

My wife and I recently experienced double pricing as well. In our case, both she (Thai) and I (American) had to pay twice the fare to enter Pompei. EU citizens only had to pay 5.50 euros, while the sucker tourists had to pay 11. So double pricing does exist outside of Thailand.

That would have been great if you were a Euro being and she was Thai...now that would have been funny...som nam nar!

Maybe the $ sign had worn off before the 11 and so that being equal to the 5.50 collapsing euro... :)

An ex Thai g/f was at uni in the UK and whenever we out to somewhere with an entrance fee she used to produce her student card and get a discount while me muggings paid full price...so even in the UK the flooky Thais can still get cheaper dual pricing :D