Foreigners Who Want To Marriage In Uk Must Speak English

about time and its retrospective. Too many men picking up a foreign female , usually in asia , with none or very little English , come to the UK, get marriage visa, Actually these tests should be in the country of origin before coming to the UK to stop any problems removing at a later date.

The Press Association: Immigrants to face English test

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It goes a bit deeper than that:

"The measure, due to come into force this autumn, will apply to spouses and unmarried couples who are already in Britain as well as overseas applicants. Anyone wishing to come to Britain must first demonstrate they can speak English at the same level required for skilled workers admitted under the points-based system".

Quote "38,000 visas for spouses were granted and a further 21,000 people were granted indefinite leave to remain."

Compare that to the hundreds of thousands of East European economic migrants who have found a home in the UK with hardly any language skills and will not be subjected to such a language test.

Picking an easy target without addressing the real issues imho.

Quote "38,000 visas for spouses were granted and a further 21,000 people were granted indefinite leave to remain."

Compare that to the hundreds of thousands of East European economic migrants who have found a home in the UK with hardly any language skills and will not be subjected to such a language test.

How true.

How true.

Are not the migrants from East Europe members of the EU? and entitled to move and work in fellow EU countries.

As in the online Guardian today, "who is going to pick all our fruit and vegetables?", certainly not the great unwashed & workshy currently on state handouts in the UK.

How true.

Are not the migrants from East Europe members of the EU? and entitled to move and work in fellow EU countries.

As in the online Guardian today, "who is going to pick all our fruit and vegetables?", certainly not the great unwashed & workshy currently on state handouts in the UK.

You miss the point, as indeed I think the Home Office has with this latest scheme. If the percieved problem with immigration is that immigrants can't speak English well enough, targeting new exams at a small segment of that population and ignoring the English skills of the majoirty (Esatern EU workers), doesn't quite solve the problem.

The new Home Secretary, the Hon Theresa May had it spot on. "it is a privilege to come to the UK"rolleyes.gif

For me personally it is a privilege to leave the UK with its nanny state and unelected people in local and national governments telling me how I should live my life, what I can or cannot do and when.

I caught something on the BBC website in the last couple of days that some local governments want to fine residents if they throw out too much trash instead of fining manufacturers who over package the items they sell.

It is bad enough so my friends in the UK tell me having to pay council tax and now this on top?

Maybe it will change under the new government.

... all you UK expats that have lived in Thailand for years with your Thai wife don't have a family exit stratergy back to the UK if you need it unless the wife can speak English.

"To pass the test, applicants will have to be able to speak, read, and write English as well as a seven-year-old at primary school".

Hardly a problem I would have thought!

... all you UK expats that have lived in Thailand for years with your Thai wife don't have a family exit stratergy back to the UK if you need it unless the wife can speak English.

"To pass the test, applicants will have to be able to speak, read, and write English as well as a seven-year-old at primary school".

Can you speak, write and read Thai as well as a 7 year old? It's not easy to learn a foreign language, even to a fairly basic level when one is, shall we say, beyond the age of learning as I am. sad.gif

I'd struggle if Thailand imposed similar requirement on non-Thais wanting to live here.

So which is it? your quote above, or your earlier one

It goes a bit deeper than that........"The measure, due to come in force this Autumn, will apply to all spouses and unmarried couples who are already in Britain as well as overseas applicants. Anyone wishing to come to Britain must first demonstrate that they speak English at the same level required for skilled workers admitted under the points-based scheme".

I do however agree that people wishing to live in The UK should be able to speak and understand English to enable them to fully integrate into their new home, I really don't think this will really be an issue for the majority of Thai people.

So my wife come to the uk in june 09 and passed the life in the uk test in august 09,so now in order for her to qualify for ILR she ALSO has to demonstrate her ability to speak and understand english with a separate test? is that correct? so whats the life in the uk test for then or ,is it to be scrapped?:)

Edited by chanthas

I'm afraid that the "get tough" stance by governments of whatever colour has scarce relevance to the real problem, which is neither the number of legal applicants to come to the UK for whatever purpose, nor the number of EU nationals now living and working there. Until they face up to the abject failure of UKBA to remove significant numbers of illegals and failed asylum seekers they will have no effect on increased inward migration, as anyone can see that if you succeed by fair means or foul in gaining entry to the UK, the likelihood of you being removed is very small indeed.

They're shooting at the wrong target.

with this kind of law being brought in it is no wonder many settlement type visas have been refused of late(i'm included in that)if you look at the cases on this forum who have been refused you will be hard pushed to find the reason being not enough funds....they all seem to be on very loose grounds :)

still with all these re-applications that will be submitted it all helps to keep the civil servants in jobs :D

There has been some misreporting in the UK press. There is no requirement to read or write English only to be able to converse in very basic English. Following is extract from Home Office press release:

Home Office (National)

STRICTLY EMBARGOED NOT FOR PUBLICATION OR BROADCAST UNTIL 00.01 ON WEDNESDAY 9 JUNE<B>

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"></B>

NOTES TO EDITORS

1. More information about current visa requirements for spouses is available on the UK Border Agency’s visa homepage - www.ukvisas.gov.uk

2. The new requirement will be introduced by way of changes to the Immigration Rules in Autumn 2010. It will affect non-EEA nationals applying to come to or stay in the UK as a:

• spouse or civil partner;

• fiancé or proposed civil partner; and

• unmarried partner or same sex partner of a British citizen or permanent resident.

3. Under the new rules, applicants will have to demonstrate English at A1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference, the equivalent of Entry Level 1 of the National Qualifications Framework.

4. A1 is consistent with practice in other EU countries. It requires learners to demonstrate a basic command of conversational English, currently the same as the level required for skilled workers admitted under Tier 2 of the Points Based System.

Wikipedia descibes Level 1 as:

Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has. Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.

Possibly the average bar girl will need some coaching.

So which is it? your quote above, or your earlier one

It goes a bit deeper than that........"The measure, due to come in force this Autumn, will apply to all spouses and unmarried couples who are already in Britain as well as overseas applicants. Anyone wishing to come to Britain must first demonstrate that they speak English at the same level required for skilled workers admitted under the points-based scheme".

I do however agree that people wishing to live in The UK should be able to speak and understand English to enable them to fully integrate into their new home, I really don't think this will really be an issue for the majority of Thai people.

Fair do's, I suppose it depends on whether you read the Telegraph or the Daily Mail. But it looks like the previous poster found the definitive reply on this subject, in which case it means the Daily Mail wins, odd that!

Not a bad idea I think as the requirements are basic. I do hope that Thailand will not introduce similar rules for my retirement but in a way what right do I have to live in a foreign country without making even basic efforts to speak the language? It would stop me being so lazy!!!

I was confused by the comments about it applying to those already in the UK but the Border Agency says it applies to those applying in the UK so seems fair.

This test will need to be taken as part of the application and does not change the requirement to pass the Life in the UK test for ILR. I am not sure how it will impact on the alternative route involving applicants taking a recognised ESOL course and improving by at least one level. I am not sure if the test would be equivalent to ESOL entry level 1.

I am sure they will let us know more!!!

Not a bad idea I think as the requirements are basic. I do hope that Thailand will not introduce similar rules for my retirement but in a way what right do I have to live in a foreign country without making even basic efforts to speak the language? It would stop me being so lazy!!!

I was confused by the comments about it applying to those already in the UK but the Border Agency says it applies to those applying in the UK so seems fair.

This test will need to be taken as part of the application and does not change the requirement to pass the Life in the UK test for ILR. I am not sure how it will impact on the alternative route involving applicants taking a recognised ESOL course and improving by at least one level. I am not sure if the test would be equivalent to ESOL entry level 1.

I am sure they will let us know more!!!

It's not ESOL standard. It is "basic command of conversational English" : see previous poster #24 citing from Home Office website. Who's going to assess this? --ECOs or their appointed agents?; there may be some business opportunities here and potentially open avenues for 'corrupt agents' too. And what would be the all important fee for this?--May be some are already aware of this. As far as I am aware, there is no change to the requirement of Life in UK test or ESOL rules for ILR.

So where is this test to be taken? The big question will they be an extra "cost" involved?

I like the idea about been tested to the level of a 7 year old. Looking at most kids nowadays that would not be to hard, most can not read and write when they finish primary school sad.gif

Just when you think the UK government cant find ways to make money, they shaft you again.

I think i have it all wrong trying to get my wife a visa here, it should me looking for a visa to get out of this hel_l hole

...Who's going to assess this? ...there may be some business opportunities here and potentially open avenues for 'corrupt agents' too. And what would be the all important fee for this..

You're quite correct in your views. If one casts one's mind back to the introduction of the ESOL with citizenship/Life in the UK test requirement, this spawned a whole new business opportunity for shonky colleges which offered passes in a week for an agreed fee. Only recently has the government sought to address this issue by requiring that colleges be accredited.

It is likely that the new rules will require that a qualification be "accredited", but which UK-based quango is going to enforce such a requirement? None that I can see. It might be the case that a candidate sits an exam with a prescribed invigilator in Thailand and that the paper is then electronically remitted to the UK for marking by a recognised body, but there is then no safeguard that the person who is being awarded the qualification is the one who sat the test.

Personally, and bearing in mind that immigration law has to allow for all of the indigenous tongues of the UK, I'm setting up my Welsh and Gaelic colleges in Bangkok, Islamabad, Delhi, Dhaka etc., not to mention Buenos Aires, to cater for the Patagonian contingent.

Scouse.