Looking For Land In Petchabun

stevehaigh

hi, i'm looking to buy a couple of rai of land up on the hills in Petchabun, off highway 12 around Khao Kho.

Close to Khaem Son or Khek noi would be nice, somewhere in the 'Switzerland of Thailand'

obviously we would want something with a real land title, Chanoht or NS3.

If you hear of anything, please PM me, thanks, steve

Check out houses and land for sale in the Phetchabun area at: www.krungsri.com

Try this guy out. I've never spoken to him but he was recommended to me some time ago.

The broker's name Pitsanu and his cell phone number is (66) 081 962 9960.

Maybe he can help you.

Edited by metisdead
Email removed.

I looked at numerous properties in Khao Kho a year ago so have considerable and recent experience. The good news is the area you are interested in has an abundance of chanote, but the bad news is you pay for it. Chanote and NS3 tended to go for 400K/rai or substantially more if it was right on the highway. Weaker titles a tenth of that. If you are in Khao Kho I can introduce you with a local Thai who knows lots of chanote spots for sale in the area you are interested in. Great area by the way. Anyone interested can PM me and I can give you more leads on properties than you can shake a stick at. There is lots of land for sale out there, trouble is finding them and there are few buyers.

IMO, the area is overhyped. No nice hotels, just a lot of cheaper ones with trouble in these times. And the travel distance from e.g. petchabun city is much longer than one can think from the map. also, be careful with the kek noi area, quite a few gangs and drugs there.

I would much rather buy land further south in petcabun. Just north of nong kai there are some great areas with undeveloped land with mountains. the mountains are not as big of course, but still nice. 

some interesting info, thanks, didn't know about the gangs in Kek Noi

my wife is from Lom Kao and she is a bit reluctant to move too close to her family as am i, but i figure up in the mountains they are not just going to pop in every time they feel like it and ask for money

i've driven over route 12 many times to p-luk and always thought the road was a pretty easy drive by Thai standards

my main interest in the area is the climate, i'm so tired of hot, hot and more hot. how is the weather up there in the hot season? is it really cooler? i've only been around that area in the rainy season and yes, it really did rain, which i like.

thanks

yes, i can sympathize with your feeling about the heat. Petchabun must be one of the hottest places in thailand, rarely a day here april-september where we dont touch 40c. kao koo is def much cooler, its probably a good option for you, considering your feeling and where your wife is from. its close to lomsak, right? just be careful where you buy, and how you buy. many from around my area have been up there trying to buy land. its very popular now. we have also heard some reports of bad papers on the land, so be careful about that too. i can explain more in PM if you want.

good luck.

Plenty of disadvantages of Khao Kho, no question there. In my estimation Khao Kho has 3 distinct advanages over other areas of Phetchabun: weather, weather, and weather! It is substantially cooler, breezy, and rainy. It is telling that the weather difference allows planting of many types of fruits and vegetables that are not workable at the lower, hotter altitudes. I also looked at land in the "khao kho" of Loei, namely Phu Ruea, but to my dismay even crazier higher prices abound there.

Edited by canopy

Last year I looked at two Rai of land 13 kilometers out of Phetchabun City and was quoted 200.000 baht per Rai for rice land that was up to one metre below road level.

Add your land fill and that's an expensive plot of rice land.

A couple of other plots in the area were priced similar and one plot at around two thirds of a Rai was priced at 250.000 baht due to the land fronting the road.

Last year I looked at two Rai of land 13 kilometers out of Phetchabun City and was quoted 200.000 baht per Rai for rice land that was up to one metre below road level.

Add your land fill and that's an expensive plot of rice land.

A couple of other plots in the area were priced similar and one plot at around two thirds of a Rai was priced at 250.000 baht due to the land fronting the road.

around here in Cha-am people just dig a giant hole for water storage of fish or shrimp or whatever and use the excavated dirt to raise the land for building. so it about 1 week of back hoe time depending on the size of the pond, maybe 100,000 baht.

• 6 months later...

some interesting info, thanks, didn't know about the gangs in Kek Noi

my wife is from Lom Kao and she is a bit reluctant to move too close to her family as am i, but i figure up in the mountains they are not just going to pop in every time they feel like it and ask for money

i've driven over route 12 many times to p-luk and always thought the road was a pretty easy drive by Thai standards

my main interest in the area is the climate, i'm so tired of hot, hot and more hot. how is the weather up there in the hot season? is it really cooler? i've only been around that area in the rainy season and yes, it really did rain, which i like.

thanks

hello my first of many posts.after the thai civil war the king gave 12 rai plots to farm and ahousing plot to a familys who moved there. there is no nor sor 3 but a permanent lease to the land.i last year brougdt 12 rai for 1000000baht with magnificant views to build a resort and my mansion. my wifes dad is the village headman and family lives there(kamnan)so paperwork ,building ,knowledge etc is all okay. i have alot of imformation around sado pong area if needed.

yes, i can sympathize with your feeling about the heat. Petchabun must be one of the hottest places in thailand, rarely a day here april-september where we dont touch 40c. kao koo is def much cooler, its probably a good option for you, considering your feeling and where your wife is from. its close to lomsak, right? just be careful where you buy, and how you buy. many from around my area have been up there trying to buy land. its very popular now. we have also heard some reports of bad papers on the land, so be careful about that too. i can explain more in PM if you want.

good luck.

no need to knock khao kor . been coming and going to thailand for 25 years so understand a lot the reason why so many in your area is trying to buy land here is good money to be made in small resorts and soon land that has a lease will be granted nor sor 3.no crime in my area. land that allready has nor sor 3 around camp son is allready overpriced.

good luck.

no need to knock khao kor . been coming and going to thailand for 25 years so understand a lot the reason why so many in your area is trying to buy land here is good money to be made in small resorts and soon land that has a lease will be granted nor sor 3.no crime in my area. land that allready has nor sor 3 around camp son is allready overpriced.

No crime in Phetchabun!, been coming here 25 years!.

Try living here, "where's my water pump!" :ph34r:

good money to be made in small resorts

Really...so maybe you can fill me in. I have often wondered how a resort can make money in Khao Kho. The place is dead 10 months out of the year. Resorts often at 0 occupancy. December and January it is popular with the main concentrations over a few long weekends. And many tourists come on camping trips and pitch a tent.

Really...so maybe you can fill me in. I have often wondered how a resort can make money in Khao Kho. The place is dead 10 months out of the year. Resorts often at 0 occupancy. December and January it is popular with the main concentrations over a few long weekends. And many tourists come on camping trips and pitch a tent.

a bungalow cost about 200000 ti build .very basic. return about 1500 2500 per night. bangkok thais stay weekends.2 nights per week 8 per month x 4 months = better the view the higher they will pay.have family there doing same.tried to post longer thread but unable.will answer any other inquieries

also if you look in the sado pong area close to all attractons kings palace,war memorial.weapons mueseum closer than most resorts camp son etc. land is still very cheap so outlay, setup costs less. none in this area on the internet.i am very close to the kamnan so no problems for me.willing to help any farang.

Plenty of disadvantages of Khao Kho, no question there. In my estimation Khao Kho has 3 distinct advanages over other areas of Phetchabun: weather, weather, and weather! It is substantially cooler, breezy, and rainy. It is telling that the weather difference allows planting of many types of fruits and vegetables that are not workable at the lower, hotter altitudes. I also looked at land in the "khao kho" of Loei, namely Phu Ruea, but to my dismay even crazier higher prices abound there.

brought 12 rai near sado pong 1000000 fantastic views last year resort quality. looked at many in area similar asking price. this one had the best veiws.

brought 12 rai near sado pong 1000000 fantastic views last year resort quality.

Not everyone here will know you are talking about land that doesn't have a chanote or even ns3. Outlaying farm land without good papers in khao kho can be found for 25,000 per rai and it goes up and up from there in my experiences. Everyone is selling, having received their land for free or thereabouts, but very few are buying creating sort of a lottery system to that lucky seller who lands a buyer.

A lot of the land in Sadao Pong has army papers. This is land given to soldiers who served in the war there and it states the land cannot be sold, rented, or leased plus the army can reclaim it within 30 days notice. The army does go through occasionally and examine every plot of land and takes photos. Never the less, this land is being sold but prices tend to be low as question marks remain over what could happen.

I suspect you have not had the assistance of a lawyer based on a couple things you have said. Having a good relationship and working with the PYB is a good thing, but not a substitute. Land without a chanote cannot be legally leased so it is doubtful the lease you have would hold up in court should it ever be challenged. Second, opening a resort is not the same thing as building a house or farming on such land and is not something the authorities want. Numerous Khao Kho resorts have recently been served papers due to their presence and this has been in the news. If any of these things come as a surprise or could be a concern, get a lawyer or consider changing the one you have.

brought 12 rai near sado pong 1000000 fantastic views last year resort quality.

Not everyone here will know you are talking about land that doesn't have a chanote or even ns3. Outlaying farm land without good papers in khao kho can be found for 25,000 per rai and it goes up and up from there in my experiences. Everyone is selling, having received their land for free or thereabouts, but very few are buying creating sort of a lottery system to that lucky seller who lands a buyer.

A lot of the land in Sadao Pong has army papers. This is land given to soldiers who served in the war there and it states the land cannot be sold, rented, or leased plus the army can reclaim it within 30 days notice. The army does go through occasionally and examine every plot of land and takes photos. Never the less, this land is being sold but prices tend to be low as question marks remain over what could happen.

I suspect you have not had the assistance of a lawyer based on a couple things you have said. Having a good relationship and working with the PYB is a good thing, but not a substitute. Land without a chanote cannot be legally leased so it is doubtful the lease you have would hold up in court should it ever be challenged. Second, opening a resort is not the same thing as building a house or farming on such land and is not something the authorities want. Numerous Khao Kho resorts have recently been served papers due to their presence and this has been in the news. If any of these things come as a surprise or could be a concern, get a lawyer or consider changing the one you have.

you seem to be very well informed, good indeed.after the civil war land was given to anyone moving to khao kor under the guidence of the king to restore peace and harmony to the area.it is still agrayish area regarding papers . our land has a chanote but not nor sor 3. the papers are with the army but name has changed to my wifes.it was brought of aclose family relative maybe this made it easier.as we have close friends(most came to our wedding)in the amphur we have been told no problem.my wife has lived there her whole life and has been educated at unni.as it his her money as well i do not think her family would let her invest if it was not a safe idea.there is a lot of land being sold near her home(even if titles a bit shonky)to people frpm petchabun who seem to be teachers etc.thank you for your knowledgeable comments.

The biggest factor to consider in the price is the type of land paper as this will determine what the land can be used for, and if the ownership can be legally transferred. If the land is cheap, it may well be because the ownership is contestable, or because planning permission will be impossible to secure.

The type of land paper available should thus be established as early on in the process as possible. It is advisable to invest only in land with a Chanote Tee Din or Nor Sor Sam Gor paper, as these are the most secure - although even these carry no weight in the case of land on a hill. Such land, may seem attractive, but if above the 80m mark, even with legitimate title deed, you will not be able to build any permanent structure on it, as this is against Thai law.

If buying land to build your own house, rather than for speculative purposes, there are several other factors to consider: “These days, every local villager is aware of the value of his or her property. If they are willing to sell the land cheap, it usually means there will be hidden costs. Infrastructure is the biggest variable. Check if the land has mains electricity access and a reliable water supply. If the answer is no, you could find yourself spending several hundred thousand Baht to install pylons and dig a well."

Digging a well means the land will have to be surveyed: some areas may sit on a rock shelf that makes access to the water table impossible. Look at how the land lies: land fill or levelling costs can also add a hundred thousand or so to the price tag. A piece of land with ready access to all the infrastructure and a public road can thus be double the price of land without.

Understanding Land Sizes and Titles in Thailand

Most potential purchasers visiting Thailand will at first be somewhat confused as to the system of land measurement and land title definitions. Construction issues though follow the metric system.

Land prices are usually quoted in Baht per Rai or in the case of smaller plots, Baht per Wah or Square Metre.

There a number of land titles existing in Thailand, each of which have different meanings and implications. These titles need to be explained and the implications fully understood before proceeding.

Land Measurements:

Land in Thailand is measured in Rai, Ngan and Wah.

The conversion rates between Thai measurements and Metric measurements are as follows:

• 1 Wah = 2 meters

• 1 square Wah = 4 square meters

• 100 square Wah = 400 square meters = 1 Ngan

• 4 Ngan = 1 Rai = 1,600 square meters

The conversion rates between Thai measurements and Acres are:

• 1 acre = 2.5 Rai (approximately)

• 1 hectare = 2.471 acres = 6.25 Rai (approximately)

Land Titles:

Chanote Land

This is the highest grade of Land Title and therefore the most sought after by any purchaser. It is issued by the Provincial Land Office, after the land has been detailed & accurately surveyed, by an official land surveyor, as well as being plotted in relation to a national survey grid and then marked by unique concrete numbered marker posts set into the ground within the boundaries.

When viewing land of this title one should be shown these posts to assure you of the extent of the size of the land.

The land size is depicted on an official Chanote document with the measurements and a detailed drawing showing the round posts at each corner of the plot.

The size and boundaries cannot be disputed in the future under any circumstances as each of the adjoining owners were required to be present at the measuring stage and will have given their signature to confirm the size of the plot being measured for Chanote.

Purchasing of Chanote land can be executed more quickly than other titled land as there are no disputes as to size or boundaries. No public notices are required nor can any surrounding owner dispute the measurements.

Nor Sor Sam Kor Land (NS3 Kor)

This is the next most reliable choice of land title. Each plot is surveyed and crossed referenced to a master survey and a corresponding aerial photograph.

Should there be any doubts as to the defined boundaries, it is a wise precaution to ask the owner to stake out the boundaries and ask the neighbouring land owners to confirm the vendors interpretation of such. ( A potential purchaser can obtain accurate confirmation from the Local Land Office surveyor, subject to a fee being paid.)

Nor Sor Sam Land (NS3)

This is the lowest land title which allows for legally building a property. It issued and maintained by the District land Office and certifies the use of land issued by the government to the proprietor of land not a possessory title, i.e. it is confirmed by law that a person holding Nor. Sor 3 has the legal right to possess the land and therefore the land title can be used as a legal document.

Nor Sor 3 is a floating map with no parcel points. It is issued for a specific plot of land and is not connected to other land plots. In the event that a neighbour disputes the size of the land the owner can engage the services of a local surveyor from the Land Office to define the actual size. In many cases, subject to the appropriate fees this land title can be upgraded to NS3 Kor and even Chanote.

Other land titles include the following:

Sor Kor Nung (SK 1), Tor Bor Tor Hock (TBT 6), Tor Bor Tor.

Permanent access to one's land is also of great importance. A public owned road, (property of the local government office) is by far the most sought after. These roads must be a minimum width of 6 - 8 metres.

Other plots may have a private access road for the owners of the land only, this is quite normal and perfectly acceptable. The owner and purchaser will naturally have a legally binding agreement to confirm this point.

Chanote Tee Din or Nor Sor Sam Gor paper, as these are the most secure - although even these carry no weight in the case of land on a hill. Such land, may seem attractive, but if above the 80m mark, even with legitimate title deed, you will not be able to build any permanent structure on it, as this is against Thai law.

Good info. How is the 80M mark determined? Surely not from sea level.

our land has a chanote but not nor sor 3. the papers are with the army but name has changed to my wifes

That is not a chanote, but having it in your wifes name is very, very good as this is typically not possible. Maybe she is next of kin? My understanding is there are no chanote tee din or nor sor sam gor at all in 4 tambon's of Khao Kho and one of those is Sadao Pong. If one thinks they have such a title from those areas, it might be wise to have a lawyer look into it or explain more about it here. Never mind land titles though as it is plain as day there are thousands of people living in those tambons, a building explosion is going on now, and the government just keeps extending and improving infrastructure to support this. Land is typically sold with the approval of the PYB or Naa Yok Orbidor as the accepted way. Sometimes a TB5 or NS2 is possible, in others a sun yaa seu kai is used. There are loosely defined limits on what type of land usage is tolerated and where. The situation scares off 99% of prospective buyers and justifiably so.

The biggest factor to consider in the price is the type of land paper as this will determine what the land can be used for, and if the ownership can be legally transferred. If the land is cheap, it may well be because the ownership is contestable, or because planning permission will be impossible to secure.

The type of land paper available should thus be established as early on in the process as possible. It is advisable to invest only in land with a Chanote Tee Din or Nor Sor Sam Gor paper, as these are the most secure - although even these carry no weight in the case of land on a hill. Such land, may seem attractive, but if above the 80m mark, even with legitimate title deed, you will not be able to build any permanent structure on it, as this isla against Thai law.

If buying land to build your own house, rather than for speculative purposes, there are several other factors to consider: "These days, every local villager is aware of the value of his or her property. If they are willing to sell the land cheap, it usually means there will be hidden costs. Infrastructure is the biggest variable. Check if the land has mains electricity access and a reliable water supply. If the answer is no, you could find yourself spending several hundred thousand Baht to install pylons and dig a well."

Digging a well means the land will have to be surveyed: some areas may sit on a rock shelf that makes access to the water table impossible. Look at how the land lies: land fill or levelling costs can also add a hundred thousand or so to the price tag. A piece of land with ready access to all the infrastructure and a public road can thus be double the price of land without.

Most potential purchasers visiting Thailand will at first be somewhat confused as to the system of land measurement and land title definitions. Construction issues though follow the metric system.

Land prices are usually quoted in Baht per Rai or in the case of smaller plots, Baht per Wah or Square Metre.

There a number of land titles existing in Thailand, each of which have different meanings and implications. These titles need to be explained and the implications fully understood before proceeding.

Land Measurements:

The conversion rates between Thai measurements and Metric measurements are as follows:

• 1 Wah = 2 meters

Land Titles:

Chanote Land

This is the highest grade of Land Title and therefore the most sought after by any purchaser. It is issued by the Provincial Land Office, after the land has been detailed & accurately surveyed, by an official land surveyor, as well as being plotted in relation to a national survey grid and then marked by unique concrete numbered marker posts set into the ground within the boundaries.

When viewing land of this title one should be shown these posts to assure you of the extent of the size of the land.

The land size is depicted on an official Chanote document with the measurements and a detailed drawing showing the round posts at each corner of the plot.

The size and boundaries cannot be disputed in the future under any circumstances as each of the adjoining owners were required to be present at the measuring stage and will have given their signature to confirm the size of the plot being measured for Chanote.

Purchasing of Chanote land can be executed more quickly than other titled land as there are no disputes as to size or boundaries. No public notices are required nor can any surrounding owner dispute the measurements.

This is the next most reliable choice of land title. Each plot is surveyed and crossed referenced to a master survey and a corresponding aerial photograph.

Should there be any doubts as to the defined boundaries, it is a wise precaution to ask the owner to stake out the boundaries and ask the neighbouring land owners to confirm the vendors interpretation of such. ( A potential purchaser can obtain accurate confirmation from the Local Land Office surveyor, subject to a fee being paid.)

Nor Sor Sam Land (NS3)

This is the lowest land title which allows for legally building a property. It issued and maintained by the District land Office and certifies the use of land issued by the government to the proprietor of land not a possessory title, i.e. it is confirmed by law that a person holding Nor. Sor 3 has the legal right to possess the land and therefore the land title can be used as a legal document.

Nor Sor 3 is a floating map with no parcel points. It is issued for a specific plot of land and is not connected to other land plots. In the event that a neighbour disputes the size of the land the owner can engage the services of a local surveyor from the Land Office to define the actual size. In many cases, subject to the appropriate fees this land title can be upgraded to NS3 Kor and even Chanote.

Permanent access to one's land is also of great importance. A public owned road, (property of the local government office) is by far the most sought after. These roads must be a minimum width of 6 - 8 metres.

Other plots may have a private access road for the owners of the land only, this is quite normal and perfectly acceptable. The owner and purchaser will naturally have a legally binding agreement to confirm this point.

my land has all services no fill requiered. fantastic information, perfectly explained yhank you for your input

The type of land paper available should thus be established as early on in the process as possible. It is advisable to invest only in land with a Chanote Tee Din or Nor Sor Sam Gor paper, as these are the most secure - although even these carry no weight in the case of land on a hill. Such land, may seem attractive, but if above the 80m mark, even with legitimate title deed, you will not be able to build any permanent structure on it, as this isla against Thai law.

If buying land to build your own house, rather than for speculative purposes, there are several other factors to consider: "These days, every local villager is aware of the value of his or her property. If they are willing to sell the land cheap, it usually means there will be hidden costs. Infrastructure is the biggest variable. Check if the land has mains electricity access and a reliable water supply. If the answer is no, you could find yourself spending several hundred thousand Baht to install pylons and dig a well."

Land Measurements:

• 1 Wah = 2 meters

Land Titles:

Chanote Land

Nor Sor Sam Land (NS3)

my land has all services no fill requiered. fantastic information, perfectly explained yhank you for your input

please explain about the 80 m mark and where it is taken from as no one that i have spoken to in sado pong knows about this. thank you

Above 80 Meter Height Zone

The National Ministry regulations state that nothing can be built on land more than 80 meters above sea-level. This law is currently only being applied in certain areas. Most provinces have decided to opt out of this specific regulation, but there is the possibility that it might be applied in the future.

Zoning regulations

It is important to understand and consider the zoning regulations of the specific area being built in. Keep in mind that when developing a property several zoning restrictions may apply. They may include some or all of the following depending on the Province:

• Height of the structure

• Width of the structure

• Distance from the beach and/or shore

• Proximity to another property

• The use of the structure (residential, commercial, industrial)

• Building lot size

• Angle of slope of land

• Height of land above sea level

• Type and colour of roof

It might well be that the area in question is not affected by this law/regulation but i would check using the professional services of people like www.isaanlawyers.com/ and not the misses or the local rice farmer.

The National Ministry regulations state that nothing can be built on land more than 80 meters above sea-level. This law is currently only being applied in certain areas. Most provinces have decided to opt out of this specific regulation, but there is the possibility that it might be applied in the future.

Is that an accurate translation? If it is then it isn't surprising that most provinces have opted out as you wouldn't be able to build in most of central Thailand or anywhere in northern Thailand and Isaan as these areas are all over 80 m above sea level.

Edited by speleo

Is that an accurate translation? If it is then it isn't surprising that most provinces have opted out as you wouldn't be able to build in most of central Thailand or anywhere in northern Thailand and Isaan as these areas are all over 80 m above sea level.

Phuket is one place in Thailand where building zoning regulations are in force and they don't stand alone as there are others.

http://www.thephuketlandbuster.com/zoning_in_phuket.htm

• 2 months later...

Hi every body.

I would like to sale my land for 5 rais , who is looking for nice land to build house at the nature it have beautiful mountain around please stop here for a moment , here is call Whang Nam Khioa or other name people love to call is "Switzerland of Thailand" here is number 1 good ozone of Thailand and is number 7 of the world, It's only 250kt. from bkk to here and just only 80 kt. to big tow is call Korat , if you have any question plz contact me by 0823796966 ..

have a lovely day.

Take care.

Sorry about my English.