Tailgating

I have not much experience with being tailgated myself because i drive a motorbike and usually move out of the way. But i see it all the time the big fortuner or big pickup coming up with crazy speeds to much slower traffic. Then it has to either sewer to an other lane and then brake or brake at the other car. I can understand them wanting past if there is somewhere they can go. But i am speaking of morons who are going full speed at lanes that are already full. Or the morons zigzagging full speed from lane to lane without ever using their indicators and trying to push everyone away.

Now "Mr ask yourself why you are tailgated?" come up with a good answer.

Yes i can understand its annoying to be behind a car who has a empty stretch of road in front of him and wont go any faster. (still there are speed limits here too)

Edited by robblok

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tailgating is what one does when not overtaking.

Most annoying it is too, invariably the tailgater gets impatient about 1 second before I move over to let him get on with arriving at the next jam :) and no, I don't poodle along at 50k in the right hand lane :D

Tailgating is what one does when not overtaking.

Most annoying it is too, invariably the tailgater gets impatient about 1 second before I move over to let him get on with arriving at the next jam :) and no, I don't poodle along at 50k in the right hand lane :D

That is what i am talking about they go from jam to jam its totally useless for those 100 meter extra they can go fast. I really see no reason for it during rush hour with full roads.

I have not much experience with being tailgated myself

I am surprised, I mean being one of those annoying Honda Jazz drivers and all that :) .

Just kidding blok, but tailgating is just one of the bad driving habits that goes on around this place & probably explains where there is no shortage of rear ender accidents around the Bkk area, I normally see a few a day.

I have not much experience with being tailgated myself

I am surprised, I mean being one of those annoying Honda Jazz drivers and all that :) .

Just kidding blok, but tailgating is just one of the bad driving habits that goes on around this place & probably explains where there is no shortage of rear ender accidents around the Bkk area, I normally see a few a day.

Neverdie.. im still waiting for the honday Jazz it will be here 15-20 july. For now i just drive a kawasaki vulcan 400cc bike. If i want i can outrun most cars (up until 150kph or so not that i ever tried i have no deathwish).

You can call me Rob, Blok is my last name. I see a lot of rear ender accidents but that is mostly because its one big traffic jam here and people dont keep distance (if you do someone will put his / her car in between)

p.s i can read smilies and know when something is said in jest and when not. So dont worry.

Edited by robblok

You can call me Rob, Blok is my last name.

Ohh, you learn something every day. I just assumed it was short for Rob Bloke. I had a mate that use to call everyone 'bloke' even the sheilas :D .

Anyway, I shall call you Rob.

So now that I have established that you are just a wannabe Jazz driver, I am guessing in due course you will be tailgated, which in a little car can actually be quite terrifying. My best advice for anyone being tailgated is simply, allow the idiot tailgating driver to pass. If you can, move to the left slightly & decrease speed by de-accelerating (not a good idea to slam on the brakes) & if you like you can 'cover the brake pedal' just enough to illuminate the brake lights without slowing significantly. Let the idiot past. Let him have an accident with someone else.:)

Of course 'tailgating'to some will NOT be tailgating to another person. I was always taught to drive with a 3 second gap between vehicles (so as the speed increases, so does the gap) BUT overtime I have found that most people operate with a much smaller tolerence than that & do so at their own peril. Here in LOS you are lucky at times if you see a 0.3 of a second gap. Dangerous Stuff.

Now "Mr ask yourself why you are tailgated?" come up with a good answer.

Because the idiot tailgating you got his driving license free in Big C with a small pack of crisps, does not have the foggiest idea what he is doing and left his brains and his -12 jarbottom style triplefocused spectacles on the nightstand this morning. Moreover he is absolutely convinced, notwithstanding his forgetfulness, that nothing can happen to him because, obviously, he is completely in sublime control of his wits, hands, feet and car.

Edited by hansnl

^Thats so true. Alot of people seem to have NO IDEA about reaction times & distances required to stop their cars in emergency situations. Alot of people around here seem completely indifferent to it.

Years ago, the inlaws and extended Thai family here use to make fun at me about the way I would fuss around with my cars and bikes, as well as their perceived ideas about my driving/riding skills as a farang. Time and time again I would make comments about safety & virtually every single one of them would dismiss what I was saying. Each and every one of them has been involved in some form of motor vehicle accident AS A DRIVER/RIDER. One of them has had 4 or 5 accidents in the last 12 months. To date, touch wood, with a bit of 'ladyluck' and some common sense & preventative driving skills I have avoided being involved in an accident in Thailand. Some people would argue that its only a matter of time here for each of us & they are probably right I guess because its not always possible to see each idiot as they come towards you from all directions with little or no care.

I don't understand it, but it seems to be common throughout the majority of asia, roadtrauama doesnt seem to concern people until its too late. Get a gun and mow down a few people & the world stops in shock, kill the same amount of people each day in motorcars and nobody batters an eyelid. <deleted>?

You can call me Rob, Blok is my last name.

Ohh, you learn something every day. I just assumed it was short for Rob Bloke. I had a mate that use to call everyone 'bloke' even the sheilas :D .

Anyway, I shall call you Rob.

So now that I have established that you are just a wannabe Jazz driver, I am guessing in due course you will be tailgated, which in a little car can actually be quite terrifying. My best advice for anyone being tailgated is simply, allow the idiot tailgating driver to pass. If you can, move to the left slightly & decrease speed by de-accelerating (not a good idea to slam on the brakes) & if you like you can 'cover the brake pedal' just enough to illuminate the brake lights without slowing significantly. Let the idiot past. Let him have an accident with someone else.:)

Of course 'tailgating'to some will NOT be tailgating to another person. I was always taught to drive with a 3 second gap between vehicles (so as the speed increases, so does the gap) BUT overtime I have found that most people operate with a much smaller tolerence than that & do so at their own peril. Here in LOS you are lucky at times if you see a 0.3 of a second gap. Dangerous Stuff.

I think i will let people pass if there is opportunity for it. If not tough luck for them i'm not scared easy but love to avoid danger. I myself have also been taught to keep your distance. Like i said before here they don't keep their distance and if you do someone will get in between.

Trying to get Thai translation for a sticker to be affixed on bumper of my car: "The nearer you get, the slower I will go".

problem is, they will be so close to you that they will not be able to see the sticker.

Trying to get Thai translation for a sticker to be affixed on bumper of my car: "The nearer you get, the slower I will go".

problem is, they will be so close to you that they will not be able to see the sticker.

or too busy chatting on their mobile telephone to notice it.:)

Contemplating if I should or not...

Ok,,,

I like tailgating... When I drove my Jazz I was never approached from the rear! I was too fast for that... In the Vigo now I have a few people coming up from behind and I tend to race a bit with them...

Depending on my mood, I do tailgate too, I know it is bad, but sometimes, I just like the feeling (I know it is stupid)...

I think I am a fairly safe driver, I have only had one accident in the last 15 years (Vigo VS Bike) and I have to say I feel confident every time I am out in the VIGO...

The Jazz was just too fun to drive, fast all the time, nimble and easy to overtake with... Just fun...

Tailgating is bad, but sometimes we all do it!!!

I will forgive you for tailgating! But, a jazz being fast? My wife has a jazz and it drives like a supermarket trolly, with no grunt whatsoever, overtaking what, mopeds?

I'm a safe driver, but I like to tailgate do not belong in the same sentance.

My Car is relatively quick... and I find myself accidentally tailgating cars when they are in front pulling away too slowly from the lights... I hate it, some people pull away so slowly it's painful, yet once up to speed they have no issue passing junctions and cross sections beyond reasonable limits...

I like to accelerate away from the lights (after checking its clear left and right) and often arrive at the next set before they have changed to red, not by racing but by getting up to a reasonable city speed. Often 5-10 mins of a 30min journey is saved this way (as the red lights last so long). I am very guilty of 'amber gambling' to avoid the red light !....

But gosh do I get frustrated being held up by two dawdling drivers in the next lane blocking the whole road and holding everyone up...Do I tailgate them, sorry but Yes I do, I sometimes give my lights a quick flash - Rather bullying tactics I know, but I do object to taking much longer than necessary to get where I need to be. I have clapped my hands behind pavement dawdlers before too... YES, I know its very impolite, but I see many others recognizing there are others around them but the mind has not trigged enough consideration to do something about it (this is global, not just Thailand, stopping at the end of an escalator is a favorite).

This mentality in a car also exists... it says "I'm in front and screw anyone behind me"

Consideration on the Road is not just about not driving too quickly and dangerously, its also about driving at reasonable a pace so as not to frustrate others around you (although many aggressive drivers are a lost cause).

When I am tailgated by a nutter, I touch the break to show my brake lights, if that doesn't give a response I brake and slow down, that usually gets a message across. On the highway with clearer roads its easier to move out the way and let them past.

What I find worse than the Tailgaters are the city drivers who are hedging their bets and blocking both lanes so they can switch easily to the one that movies the quickest (normally taxi's)... I do dislike the lack of lane discipline here.

and I find myself accidentally tailgating cars when they are in front pulling away too slowly from the lights I am very guilty of 'amber gambling' to avoid the red light !....Do I tailgate them, sorry but Yes I do, I sometimes give my lights a quick flash

When I am tailgated by a nutter, I touch the break to show my brake lights, if that doesn't give a response I brake and slow down, that usually gets a message across. On the highway with clearer roads its easier to move out the way and let them past.

I don't pull away from lights quickly. I'm not going to make a little motor scream and waste gas in a race to the next light that will probably be red anyways. I'm sorry your car is so fast but you're driving in the land of ten year old pickups and Vios's. Most cars in Thailand are slow and quick tempered falangs should know better then to tailgate.

My Car is relatively quick... and I find myself accidentally tailgating cars when they are in front pulling away too slowly from the lights... I hate it, some people pull away so slowly it's painful, yet once up to speed they have no issue passing junctions and cross sections beyond reasonable limits...

I like to accelerate away from the lights (after checking its clear left and right) and often arrive at the next set before they have changed to red, not by racing but by getting up to a reasonable city speed. Often 5-10 mins of a 30min journey is saved this way (as the red lights last so long). I am very guilty of 'amber gambling' to avoid the red light !....

But gosh do I get frustrated being held up by two dawdling drivers in the next lane blocking the whole road and holding everyone up...Do I tailgate them, sorry but Yes I do, I sometimes give my lights a quick flash - Rather bullying tactics I know, but I do object to taking much longer than necessary to get where I need to be. I have clapped my hands behind pavement dawdlers before too... YES, I know its very impolite, but I see many others recognizing there are others around them but the mind has not trigged enough consideration to do something about it (this is global, not just Thailand, stopping at the end of an escalator is a favorite).

This mentality in a car also exists... it says "I'm in front and screw anyone behind me"

Consideration on the Road is not just about not driving too quickly and dangerously, its also about driving at reasonable a pace so as not to frustrate others around you (although many aggressive drivers are a lost cause).

What I find worse than the Tailgaters are the city drivers who are hedging their bets and blocking both lanes so they can switch easily to the one that movies the quickest (normally taxi's)... I do dislike the lack of lane discipline here.

My, oh my, what a jerk you are!

Richard, what alot of drivers don't realise is that the 'SPEED LIMIT' is actually the Maximum speed at which someone should travel on the section of road for where that limit applies. There is nothing in the law that states someone MUST travel at the speed limit. A couple of examples where someone might drive slower on that section of road: (a) driver not feeling capable of travelling that quickly. (:) conditions not safe @ that time for travelling the speed limit. I guess each and every RESPONSIBLE driver has to make these decisions for him or herself.

I strongly agree with the jist of you're post though, people should be more considerate of other road users and if indeed they are holding people up, they should take the appropraite action.

Those drivers that drive in two lanes hedging their bets are very ANNOYING, I agree.

Worst is that they are tailgating me when in front of me there's a slow moving line of at least 20 cars .... I can give u way, but are u goinna tailgate every dam_n car in front of me??

Anyway.. tailgating not only happens in Thai... In spore (yes.. this tine island) also hv it.. in Msia (hope thai ppl arent as bad as them) ... even see this when I was living in Sydney 10 yrs ago..

ใกล้คุณ ได้ที่ช้าฉันจะไป

The only use for the rear window washer on my Yaris is to piss off tailgaters. It certainly does not clean the window. I'll usually get out of their way unless they start that childish flashing their high beams crap. To get out of their way then would be like rewarding a child who is throwing a tantrum.

The only use for the rear window washer on my Yaris is to piss off tailgaters. It certainly does not clean the window. I'll usually get out of their way unless they start that childish flashing their high beams crap. To get out of their way then would be like rewarding a child who is throwing a tantrum.

That would be so much fun to spray their windows in response to their anoying behaviour. Only problem is even more road rage might occur.

I will forgive you for tailgating! But, a jazz being fast? My wife has a jazz and it drives like a supermarket trolly, with no grunt whatsoever, overtaking what, mopeds?

I'm a safe driver, but I like to tailgate do not belong in the same sentance.

The Jazz with the 7 speed CVT (2006-2007) with paddle shifts can match it with most Camrys. Work it a bit with some Jap import parts and maybe a turbo and you've got a very quick shopping trolley.

Are you are "Walker" on the road?

Few people especially men will EVERadmit to being a bad driver, yet the roads of all countries are fullof them. Fewpeople especially men, will EVER admit to being a bad driver, yet theroads of all countries are full of them.

So,can we expect the expats to be representative of only the best inworld driving or are some really not up to it? - Let'scall them "Walkers"

It's my guess that many complaints about driving inThailand probably originate from people (Walkers) who's own driving skillsare, if not grossly below par, still extremely limited.

This site is largely fed by foreignerswho have chosen to live here or at least stay long term. So it'ssafe to assume that the complaint is by foreigners about thestandards of driving in Thailand which they see as "not good"

There seems to be an arrogance thatemerges from these people (expats, long term visitors, whatever youlike to call them) regardless of what country they live in - itextends to most matters of daily life, and usually takes the form ofinferring that the country they have chosen to live in is populatedby people who are inherently less adept than themselves and areeither incompetent or simply more stupid than the foreigner himself.That they don't realise that this is reflection more on themselvesthan the country is revealing in itself.

This attitude becomes most vehement inparticular circumstances.

Firstly when a group of foreigners aredrinking together and think that none of the locals will understandwhat they are saying – fuelled by the alcohol, self-congratulatoryand mutually reinforcing diatribes reassure the foreigners they are "better" than the locals.

Secondly it comes out on the internet,where people can express views much more vehemently than in a face toface environment – it's safer and they have time to think of areply (a waste of time in many cases).

Thirdly it manifests itself whendriving – great tracts on this site alone bemoan the driving ofthis country. And on the road,from the perceived safety or privacy ofthe car emotions can run WAY out of control – cosseted in their ownmoving cell – an environment that drivers perceive – wrongly –as very private ( how many people do you see picking their nose in acar assuming no-one can see?) they react to interruptions of their"personal space" with extreme aggression almost as if they hadbeen subjected to a house invasion. They even use over-tinted widowsthat dangerously impede visibility to hide themselves from otherdrivers and behind which their anger can run free. This is when theforeign motorist really becomes a true "Walker".

Thailand has one of the worst roadsafety levels of any country in the world – but it would be wrongto assume that the drivers here are inherently worse. In fact manyThai drivers are extremely skilled and observant, more so than mostwestern visitors – they have to be to survive the rigours ofdriving in this country. Furthermore I would contend that thesituation on Thai roads it is not primarily the drivers fault - Thelaws governing traffic and the construction of roads and trafficengineering are simply not fully implemented or up to standard, sothe environment itself makes it impossible to drive in an "orderly"fashion that so many foreigners are used to back home. The result isbadly educated drivers in unroadworthy cars on badly constructedroads with ludicrous markings and signage...not the place to be aWalker.

Back home those foreigners complainabout speed limits - and tailgaters – as well as parking, peoplemoving from one lane to another without signalling etc. etc. -because back home these are flagrant breaches of driving conduct. Theresult is that most drivers have learned to be in a car and obey theconventions in their own country – what they haven't done is learnto DRIVE.

If you drive in an unfamiliar orpotentially dangerous environment it must take all your observationaland driving skills all the time. Thailand is such a place and NOT for"Walkers".

What amazes me is people's obvious lackof ability to read the road and anticipate problems – this involvesthe frequent use of rear-view mirrors – about every 5 - 10 secondsthey reckon – and the positioning of your own vehicle so as not toput it in harm's way. I see little evidence of this with foreigndrivers whose attitude so often is "I'm obeying the speed limit, the laws etc, andin the "correct" lane so everyone else can go to hel_l." Not a safe way to drive - you are not alone on the road, others who do not have your high regard for discipline may not see it the same way - I suppose your epitaph could read some thing like "I told you they were exceeding the limit"

- so what about the guy behind?

As ever it seems to boil down to anunquestioning acceptance of a perception; are you "being tailgated"(passive) or are you "in the way" of another road user - (youraction)?

Why has this situation occurred? Is itTHEIR fault or – heaven forbid – YOUR fault?

There are as I see it 2 overlappingissues here....

1 – People are hyper-critical ofother drivers wherever they are...especially "Walkers"

2 – Expats and the like areinexorably drawn to be critical of the indigenous inhabitants of anycountry they end up living in.

So tailgating attracts or excites bothreactions to this "bête noir" - tailgating is certainly notunique to Thailand in fact I can think of several countries where itis far more prevalent.

As for stopping distances – eventhose a "respectable" distance behind are in fact WAY to closefor genuine safety margins. So its not a question of some being tooclose as almost EVERYONE on a highway is actually driving to close.

Tailgating is the situation as seen bythe person in front – the person behind sees it as having his wayblocked – would you stand in a doorway chatting on a phone orwhatever, whilst people were trying to get through? - no – you'dstep to one side – but in a car the reaction is different – thedriver gets stubborn and rigidly fixes his place refusing to give wayto the vehicle behind – and in doing so angers the person behind thus helping to exacerbate the situation. (remember the person behindis also subject to the same personal anger inhibitions as he is in acar too) – lights are flashed and the "body-language" (relativepositioning) of the vehicles becomes aggressive........

How to avoid tailgating.

Observation – You have 3 rear-viewmirrors – use them! The thing about a "tailgater" is that theyhave to catch you up in the first place – they could be going 160kph to your 100 that means they are approaching you at 60 kph –this should leave plenty on time for you to observe their approachand get out of the way.

Anticipation - Many have described asituation where they are "boxed in" - now WHY are they in thatsituation – these things don't just creep up on you on a highway –you can see it happening – and in Thailand where "undertaking"is quite the norm, there is plenty of opportunity to see what'shappening and get out of other people's way. - what is reallyhappening is that several motorists have become very "territorial"about the space around their fast moving car and won't accede toothers obvious requests.

Reaction – OK get out of the way –if you have got yourself boxed in - slowing by 1 or 2 kph will loosethe car in front at a slow walking pace. With very small speedadjustments you can safely control the car behind an create a safergap – and he/she may not even realise what you are up to

The car behind will adjust accordingly.Remember if the vehicle behind is quicker on acceleration than you hemay be able to pass the slower vehicles in front before you can solet him/her through.

Many people don't regard accelerationas a way out of situations – which of course it is –going a bitquicker and passing a couple of vehicle to get in the other lane isoften an easy step to take. and remember undertaking is an option onThai roads too.

NB - In Thailand not using BOTH wingmirrors can be fatal!!

Masturbation - Next, if you are boxedin and "can't" get out - almost by definition you must betailgating the car in front – WHY? - again there are plenty of safeways to avoid this. Yet when you are finally in this situation askyourself, is it really the fault of those around znd not yourself? -get out of it, you walker!

Edited by Deeral

Most of the time its the others mistake and not yourself. Anyone driving here knows that the roads are full and if your following some cars at the same speed and an other car comes behind you its his mistake for you are already going with the flow. He is out of sync not you.

However if your driving on the right side and the left side is empty its your mistake. And remember there are speed limits.

"However if your driving on the right side and the left side is empty its your mistake. And remember there are speed limits. " - I'd say this was a fine example of expecting people to follow rules in the same way as they do "at home"

I would also seriously advice against taking a literal interpretation of ANY driving law as a guarantee of one's own safety especially on the roads of Thailand.

Safe driving is not a matter of being "Right' or "Wrong" (or even "Left") - it is a matter of driving safely in the circumstances - the "law" may not cover this.

Edited by Deeral

"However if your driving on the right side and the left side is empty its your mistake. And remember there are speed limits. " - I'd say this was a fine example of expecting people to follow rules in the same way as they do "at home"

I would also seriously advice against taking a literal interpretation of ANY driving law as a guarantee of one's own safety especially on the roads of Thailand.

Safe driving is not a matter of being "Right' or "Wrong" (or even "Left") - it is a matter of driving safely in the circumstances - the "law" may not cover this.

Its just common sense and i try to avoid being tailgated (in future). But i wont bat an eye if an idiot comes behind me while i am following a row of cars. I don't expect anything here in Thailand.

"But i wont bat an eye if an idiot comes behind me while i am following a row of cars. I don't expect anything here in Thailand. "

- QED

He's already branded an idiot in this driver's eyes.

"following a row of cars" - you mean tailgating?

sir , you are showing all the traits of a stubborn and highly dangerous driver.

Edited by Deeral

"But i wont bat an eye if an idiot comes behind me while i am following a row of cars. I don't expect anything here in Thailand. "

- QED

He's already branded an idiot in this driver's eyes.

"following a row of cars" - you mean tailgating?

sir , you are showing all the traits of a stubborn and highly dangerous driver.

Actually, I was thinking that about you with some of the nonesense that you prattled on with, a bit earlier.

It amazes me how you could qualify people via an internet forum as either 'walkers' or 'dangerous' unless you were there at the given time of the incident they were suggesting or viewed a video or something. Of course in the real world things are just so more complicated than the way in which you have drawn up and stated in you're previous post.

I also find it amusing that you seem to have assumed that people in the RH lane are the ones always being tailgated. I've travelled along the highway on many occassions and been in the far left lane and had some knob behind cross 3 lanes of traffic at speed to tailgate the rear of my vehicle because he perceived that was going to be the fastest way through and approaching snarl. You don't need to be in any particular lane or spot to be tailgated.

You were right when you stated that most vehicles on the open road are travelling too close, theres no doubt about it & even in my home country this is a common practice amoungst the morons there, it eventually leads to tears for many people.

Irregardless of where you are, every place I have driven around the world has rules of the road & without delving into exactly which ones apply most, or are enforced or are important, basic common sense tells me that driving 2 foot from the car in front at 120km/h just because he won't or hasnt yet been able to move left or right doesnt make it a safe thing to do AND WILL NEVER MAKE IT A SAFE THING TO DO.

Of course without starting a piiiiissssing contest, I can assure you that I am both a well qualified & experienced driver in ways that most people don't get the opportunity to be and on an open road, public street, whatever you want to call it, tailgating is a stupid act, stupid with a capital S.