Tailgating

Don't think my piost is very clear because some are getting the wrong end of the stick - completely.

"I can assure you that I am both a well qualified & experienced driver in ways that most people don't get the opportunity to be " - Leverdie - may I drawn your attention to this? -" Few people especially men will EVERadmit to being a bad driver"

...and then this..........

It amazes me how you could qualify people via an internet forum as either 'walkers' or 'dangerous'" - I don't -

"I also find it amusing that you seem to have assumed that people in the RH lane are the ones always being tailgated" - I don't.

"Irregardless of where you are, every place I have driven around the world has rules of the road & without delving into exactly which ones apply most, or are enforced or are important, basic common sense tells me that driving 2 foot from the car in front at 120km/h just because he won't or hasnt yet been able to move left or right doesnt make it a safe thing to do AND WILL NEVER MAKE IT A SAFE THING TO DO." - I agree - I'm discussing why, when and if it happens...and who's at fault.

Edited by Deeral

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Rather bullyingtaking much longer than necessary to get where I need to be. I have clapped my hands behind pavement dawdlers before too... tactics I know, but I do object to "

"

Dunno if I would go as far as clapping my hands at pavement dawdlers,a bit risky trying that in Sydney ,London or New York.

Dont know what would happen to me if I did............can only imagine,especially say at 2am on a Sunday morning in Glasgow.

But then again Im never in that much hurry.

I often wonder why people have to push past me on escalotors etc and stop when they get to the top,why not just ride it until its gets to the top?

Don't think my piost is very clear because some are getting the wrong end of the stick - completely.

"I can assure you that I am both a well qualified & experienced driver in ways that most people don't get the opportunity to be " - Leverdie - may I drawn your attention to this? -" Few people especially men will EVERadmit to being a bad driver"

Actually Deeral, the only reason I stated what I did above is because of the previous statement that you made and have also inserted above (in bold). I didnt want you to think I belonged to that group, merely because I had been tailgated previously :)

I also know what you stated to be the truth, there are no shortage of people out there that feel or think they are good drivers but have virtually nothing to back it up with, other than wild claims about not having accidents (yet probably causing so many) and so forth.

Last paragraph a bit Warpy i think?

:):D:D , but no, ND drives in the RH seat, deffinetly quicker than the left. .:D

Actually, ive punted cars around from both sides, as well as taking one over from the opposite side to where it should be steered from :D , but you are right, I'm definately quicker in the RH side :D

"Rather bullyingtaking much longer than necessary to get where I need to be. I have clapped my hands behind pavement dawdlers before too... tactics I know, but I do object to "

"

Dunno if I would go as far as clapping my hands at pavement dawdlers,a bit risky trying that in Sydney ,London or New York.

Dont know what would happen to me if I did............can only imagine,especially say at 2am on a Sunday morning in Glasgow.

I often wonder why people have to push past me on escalotors etc and stop when they get to the top,why not just ride it until its gets to the top?

I had a good laugh at that one too, I've never had someone clap their hands behind me on the pavement, not sure how I would react to that one. Must be because I walk fast :)

There definately seems to be different rules to the street here when it comes to personal space and getting in and out of elevators, I mean what sort of brain dead individual tries to get into an elevator before the people inside can get out?? <deleted>:blink:?

"

I had a good laugh at that one too, I've never had someone clap their hands behind me on the pavement, not sure how I would react to that one. Must be because I walk fast :)

There definately seems to be different rules to the street here when it comes to personal space and getting in and out of elevators, I mean what sort of brain dead individual tries to get into an elevator before the people inside can get out?? <deleted>:blink:?

Agreed... getting in the elevator is another shocker... Also the people you hold the door open for who try and squeeze through it without taking the door.

Quick clarification about the clapping hands incident, it's not a regular occurrence, I did it once and it was necessary at a time when the people in front had virtually stopped but blocked passage - Rude and over the top yes, necessary no.

And back on topic... a lot of driving issues are created by the so called innocent party. We are all human and will get frustrated.

There is no need whatsoever for two cars next to each other to be traveling slowly or well below the speed limit. If every driver had the sufficient consideration for other then much of the tailgating would cease to exist.

The idiot 2m behind the rear bumper is a lost cause.

Maybe my idea of when I accidentally tailgate someone is when I get a little close for my comfort, which may not actually be considered as tailgating by many.

In the UK we are taught the 2 second rule: Always leave 2 seconds between you and the car in front. In Thailand this is rarely possible as someone will jump in the gap. By this rule it's likely we all tailgate.

"But i wont bat an eye if an idiot comes behind me while i am following a row of cars. I don't expect anything here in Thailand. "

- QED

He's already branded an idiot in this driver's eyes.

"following a row of cars" - you mean tailgating?

sir , you are showing all the traits of a stubborn and highly dangerous driver.

You either dont understand me or are looking for a fight.

With following a a row or cars means that the road in front of me is blocked by other cars and then i really don't bat an eye if an idiot comes up behind me way too fast. If there are no cars in front of me and there is a chance for me to move out of the way i would. But i wont if i am already in a (moving) traffic jam.

It’s usually the same behavior wherever you are, they won’t see you coming from behind. On the side walk they don’t have rear view mirrors, and on the highway they are too concentrated on the road ahead, and most likely have set their rear view mirrors to check their appearances rather than to view the traffic behind. So whether you clap your hands on the sidewalk, or flash your lights or tailgate on the highway trying to pass in the right most lane, you will surprise them and then they will act on the spur of the moment. Meaning that anything could happen.

Unfortunately this is pretty much the same behavior around the world, at least as far as I have seen. (Maybe except for the autobahn in Germany, where they will actually move out of the way in the fastest moving lane)

So don’t condemn the Thais too much with their limited driving education.

I have noticed alot of thai riders and drivers tend to be what I referr to as 'handlebar' or 'A pillar' rider/drivers in that they only care about what is happening in front of that point on their vehicle.

To test my theory, just ride or drive alongside a thai with the front section of you're vehicle behind their A pillar or handlebar point and observe how they swerve in and out from the edge of the road or change lanes WITHOUT even looking at or considering you're position.

Its the same when they pull onto the carriageway to travel in the direction with the flow of the traffic, they don't even look at whats approaching, I believe its been explained to me that 'what you cant see wont hurt you' :) BUT its the way its done here, simple as that.

"To test my theory, just ride or drive alongside a thai"

Are you suggesting that "a thai" is incapable of driving like other people? or that there is some genetic or inbred difference here? - I have to say I think your tone seems rather derogatory - do you think that yourself or Westerners are inherently better drivers?

I'm assuming the lack of captial letter on Thai is a typo?

"To test my theory, just ride or drive alongside a thai"

Are you suggesting that "a thai" is incapable of driving like other people? or that there is some genetic or inbred difference here? - I have to say I think your tone seems rather derogatory - do you think that yourself or Westerners are inherently better drivers?

I'm assuming the lack of captial letter on Thai is a typo?

Ohh dear, as well as being the spelling police you're also attaching derogatory tones to my messages.:)

I never stated that Thais were incapable of driving like 'other' people, of course I'm not even exactly sure of what 'other' people you are referring to. Nor did I say there was a genetic or inbred difference here.

Yes I am referring to certain 'Thai' traits to driving, mainly because for most part here, people have actually been referring to their thai driving experiences & also that Thai's are the majority here. Do you not think there is a certain style of driving 'unique' to Thailand as opposed to say another country that you've been? I have lived in other countries as well and can tell you that driving around Dubai or any other UAE emirate for that fact you will see another complete different style of driving, theres nothing racist or derogatory about my comment, its just the way it is. In my country you can see different driving 'styles' between states. Don't try to read into things any more than you have to.

To answer ur other question, No, I do not think that Western drivers are inherently better drivers, however, I do acknowledge the importance of driver education & skills testing which is rather relaxed in most parts of the world and all but virtually non existent here in LOS. I have obtained a Thai drivers licence through their system & seen what it takes to pass, so there is nothing too outrages about this claim.

So I don't need to carry out your test by driving close to "a thai" - I can do it to anyone? I don't need to do it next to "a thai"?

PS - i'm not attaching anything, I'm asking .........

Edited by Deeral

You can't argue with Neverdies point, I drive everyday in Bangkok and would agree with his whole post. I very rarely see a Thai stay in lane, and as I drive past them many times I have to beep to let them know I'm coming through. As soon as your headlights have past there headlights then you know you are through. Until the next one.

Also when they turn off into the right hand turning lane to do a u-turn they quite often only go halfway accross the line making me have drive around them to carry on straight ahead. Why can they not just pull all the way in and show some respect to the cars who want to drive straight on?

On the whole, I would say Thais drive like crap!

"I very rarely see a Thai stay in lane" - ???

and westerners in Bkk do?

"On the whole, I would say Thais drive like crap" - whereas " foreigners are much better at driving in Thailand?

If you think Thais drive badly, go spend a day in Phnom Phen.

"I very rarely see a Thai stay in lane" - ???

and westerners in Bkk do?

"On the whole, I would say Thais drive like crap" - whereas " foreigners are much better at driving in Thailand?

yes I would say foreigners drive better, afterall we have to have proper lessons and can't pass the test until we can drive. Unlike the joke if a test over here.

So I don't need to carry out your test by driving close to "a thai" - I can do it to anyone? I don't need to do it next to "a thai"?

PS - i'm not attaching anything, I'm asking .........

I don't understand you're question. I am referring to driving habits here, not driving habits in Australia or Iceland. Of course everyone can't be bundled into one little neat cateogry, but as Onnut says above, its here all around you, how could you not see it? Have you been to Thailand? Are you a seasonal tourist or a resident? Do you actually drive here? Do you want me to ask everyone that does this as I pass them what their nationality is, as they do what I describe? Is it okay for me to observe other drivers here and by their physical appearance make the assumption that they are thai? (As opposed to being a farang or whatever other lable you want to hang on a person of foriegn appearance).

Of course I can only speak from my experience in driving and riding cars/motorcycles over here in the last 20 something odd years & of which I would admit is only limited to a couple of hundred thousand kilometres. Am I missing something?

One thing I will point out, is, in my experience there are certain 'traits' of the driving tactics used here that are better to adopt than go against, for everyones benifit. One of those examples would be at a close quarter driving situation in a clogged intersection where thais underturn other vehicles (ie: not pirouette around each other at the interstection). I have observed people at these interestions apply the rule of the law and throw a complete 'spanner' in the works & near collisions have occured.

You can add whatever racial or derogatory tones to whatever I am saying if you so chose, but again, how else do I convey a message when I am referring to the 'general driving traits' of a particular group of people?

^How many scooters do you actually see getting around Thailand with either the mirrors removed or folded inwards towards the centre of the bike (especially in Bkk)? Of course I am going to use my biggoted ways and assume that these bikes are infact owned and ridden by Thais. :)

One time last year I had a very freaky moment. I was driving down a two way road and I was the only car on my lane, then I saw a taxi coming towards me on my side of the road. He just kept coming and coming, I don't know why he was on my side because there was no reason for it. Anyway I had to stop and I kept my hand on the horn until he looked up and swerved back to his lane. He then slammed on his brake and got out to shout at me!!!! Dick head.

It was a Taxi so I can be sure he was a Thai!

Another strange moment was when I was stuck in traffic and another car came out of a side road so fast he could hardly turn in time. Anyway his wing mirror hit mine. So I got out of the car to see the damage, lucky for me not a scratch but his mirror had smashed of. And do you know what? He had the balls to ask me for money to replace his mirror that he smashed! Dick head. He was Thai as well.

Another time I was driving down Rama 4 minding my own when another taxi slammed straight into the side of my car, side on side.

He said he was signaling to change lane so it was my fault for not holding back to let him in.

Insurance took car of it and informed him that it was in fact his fault! Dick head

oh yeah, he was Thai as well.

I've got more if you want to hear them?

^ Well I was going to get on a Mexican website and give all the people there a lesson or two, even though I've never been there, but the thaivisa website popped up first, so I thought I would come in and start here. :)

^ Well I was going to get on a Mexican website and give all the people there a lesson or two, even though I've never been there, but the thaivisa website popped up first, so I thought I would come in and start here. :)

lol

Simply not developed in the same way as westerners to use this western concept (motor vehicles) in a sensible manner.

You will see the same virtually everywhere outside of the western world.

Looking at it in another way, I supose Thais drive there cars like mopeds. Weaving in and out of lanes, look how they park for example! Sometimes so many cars in the way there is no hope of getting the first car in, out.

Thai immaturity, lack of belief in cause and effect, lack of education (buying able to just buy a license), traffic laws not being enforced, their selfishness and child like emotions must also be taken into account.

Does make for funny viewing though. As do most thing here. :)