Weirdest Food

The Dan Sai Kid

I think it's fair to say that certain Thai tastes are not as conventional as back west. But, what is the strangest thing you've ever eaten?

For me it's a toss-up between fried cows udder and live fresh water prawns. I'll go for the prawns though, as the udder didn't keep jumping off the spoon! :o

Finally got around to eating that curdled blood found in many soups; it's not all that bad.

Mom made some fish-gut soup for the Mrs.

That's where I drew the line!

Just a tip for the fish gut soup....if you like the bitter flavor then leave the contents of the intestine in...if you like it less bitter then remove it.

Stuffed / boiled frog with potatoes – this was the whole frog bones and all.

Dog

Horse

Pigeon

Insects too numerous to list

Have eaten a ton of interesting food in Asia and most of it surprisingly not that bad. After it all the food that I still have the most difficult time with is sushi and sashimi. Something about raw food just does not set well with my stomach.

A whole black scorpion, ate the lot, sting, pincers - the lot and it tasted awful - like burnt soy sauce, had to wash it down with Singha.

fried Locusts - nice, like pork scratchings.

Cairns grilled Crocodile - Like tough fatty, compressed pork.

Live grubs - they were okay once you got your head round the idea.

Pattaya shark fin soup - not nice, nothing like I'd expected.

Chinese baby panda fried in honey and lotus seeds, very nice indeed but extreemly expensive.

Thai fried frog - All peppercorns and little bones, no meat.

Vietnamese sea cucumber - nasty.

Aloe Vera - I always thought it was a shampoo additive but it's quite nice.

Fried beetle grubs - Horrid, spat it out.

In Africa.. (old days ) boiled monkey brains.

Mostly spider monkeys that had been killed first but some of the locals preferred to hold their captives alive-chimps usually- and cut of the top of their heads and then scoop out the warm brains onto a plate. :D

Middle East:Camel Steaks which were not 2 bad (bit tough)but the killing process was all kosher :D point them towards u know where and do a run round with the knife...got a bit yucki...then of course u got the bloody eyeballs,brains -again and of course as a treat ...the goolies (camels got BIG ones)...unlike goats (at least they tasted better)

Snakes.;again dont mind too much but they do love giving them a hard time. :D

A bit of a knife jobby first by slitting open its front and pulling out and removing the heart...still beating away and then squeezing out the blood (from heart)for you to drink...makes you strong :o then and hopefully they will fry the rest up for a snake sandwich.

Dog/Cat meat....Again they go mad on torturing the damm things first ......beat them almost raw with baseball bats,blood everwhere and have them screaming like banshees before hanging them up and beating them to death on piano wire?

The one time i almost turned veggi was once when driving through a village in norther Kampuchea about 15 years ago (some big do) and all the local kids had tied up and were slowing stripping the skin off a live buffalo...and having a great time.. :D

About an hour later i had to go back again and although it was dark with oil lamps everwhere this old "buff" was still just about standing up with most of it skin,bones and lots of its body parts removed..... but was still alive.

Can still see it looking at me with that big sad expression on its face as if to say...what the <deleted> did i do to deserve this?

ok..obviously i'm Thai...

but Isarn people (some) eat cow or deer's poo (in small intestine) ....it is "khee plea" i read from book ...they mix it with meat...i have no idea

but ...... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i can't ..

sorry

:o Bambi

Edited by BambinA

the dead chicks in the rotten eggs......delicassi? no way.......

baby unborn calf (i think i ate it but not sure since ate alot of things that day)

placenta.... after delivering many an animal, placenta is off my list of things to eat

i love the comb of the rooster done on the grill

Mostly spider monkeys that had been killed first but some of the locals preferred to hold their captives alive-chimps usually- and cut of the top of their heads and then scoop out the warm brains onto a plate.

People really do that????!!!

I thought stuff like that went no further than the minds of the producers of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. :o

Mostly spider monkeys that had been killed first but some of the locals preferred to hold their captives alive-chimps usually- and cut of the top of their heads and then scoop out the warm brains onto a plate.

People really do that????!!!

I thought stuff like that went no further than the minds of the producers of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. :D

I thought that was only make believe also.

Anyway, tried lots of the things mentioned already and no <deleted> way will i try many of them, what the <deleted> was that one in the intestines

:D But the most weirdest one i saw was closer to home........in Scotland (no not Haggis and what the h ell goes into that stuff)? No....... they deep fry Mars Bars up there !! Give me that Spider Monkey warm brain anyday :o

Mr BoJ

Edited by mrbojangles

Something to get yer knashers around... :D

BLACK PUDDING: Made primarily from Blood, Suet and Oatmeal, Black Pudding contains Onion which when coupled with a unique blend of spices it creates a product full of flavour.

Little wonder Black Pudding graces many a Scottish Breakfast plate. At 500 grams you will get up to 10 slices from each Pudding.

WHITE PUDDING: Simply oatmeal and suet with a traditional blend of spices. Perfect for a "cauld winter's nicht" - throw a slice into your mince when it nears the end of it's cook or simply grill a slice and add it to your cooked breakfast - delicious.

Provides up to 10 sliced portions.

FRUIT PUDDING: A mixture of Flour, Rusk and Brown Sugar and mixed together with Currants and Sultanas and a blend of sweet spices ~ cooked long enough and hot enough to create a succulent caramelised treat. McKeans Fruit Pudding is a wonderful tasty addition to a Scottish Breakfast although many much prefer it on it's own, served hot with custard and a dollop of cream!

The Fruit Pudding may be sliced for grilling or pan-frying with a standard size (500grams) providing up to 10 slices.

CLOOTIE DUMPLING: - "clootie" just like grannie used to make.

Rich textured steam pudding made with the finest of fresh ingredients including eggs, flour, golden syrup and bung <deleted>' o' currants and sultanas. Steam cook or microwave ( just don't let on to grannie) - delicious either way with a luxury dairy ice-cream, full cream and/ or custard. Forget the calorie count and give yourself a treat! A little goes a long way - 400 gram clootie will feed up to 4 people.

DEEP FRIED MARS BAR

The deep-fried Mars bar, served with a side order of fries, threatens to usurp the haggis as Scotland's best-known dish.

Worried public health experts, who investigated stories about the chocolate-covered caramel and nougat candy bars being deep-fried at Scottish fast food outlets, say the claims are not an urban myth.

The researchers discovered similarly bizarre examples of calorie-laden fast food cuisine, such as batter-fried ice cream, pizza, and pineapple rings.

A survey of around 300 Scottish fast food restaurants that sell Britain's most popular meal: fish and chips (fries). They found 22 percent of these "chip shops" also served deep-fried Mars bars (a Milky Way in the U.S.).

Each contains more than 420 calories.

Average sales were 23 bars per week, with some shops selling more than 200 each week. Three-fourths of customers were children.

The researchers found that Mars bars aren't Scotland's only deep-fried specialties, with chip shops also frying up ice-cream, pizza, pineapple rings, pickled eggs, Snicker bars, and bananas. :o

Deep fried Mars bar isn'ae for me.

Tonight I'm a goin' t'a Thai restaurant in Fraserburgh. :o

That means I am getting homesick. :D

Are you a Scot Rin?

It will make you homesick - only in the sense that you'll be wanting Thai food - most of the restaurants in buchan call themselves Thai Chinese, but all they do is take names of Thai dishes and assign them to equally random chinese dishes - if this is not the case tell me - I would love to know...

Tentatively on subject (ish)...Walking through CM Night Bazaar with Mrs I see a stall (actually just a guy on a plastic stool and a cardboard box with a metal grill laid on top) selling fluffy Netherland Dward bunny rabbits. So, innocently I ask if they are to eat. Wifey is disgusted; she would not believe that in the west people would eat rabbits. So, I suppose 'tis the same the other way round too.

PS: She eats ants eggs on a salad (but only when her mum makes it) and she loves fried chicken's feet (Chinese dish). Me, I am a fisharian (only meat I eat comes from the sea/river/fish farm/prawn farm/etc) - so I get away with not having to try snake soup etc. I like Jellyfish though.

It will make you homesick - only in the sense that you'll be wanting Thai food - most of the restaurants in buchan call themselves Thai Chinese, but all they do is take names of Thai dishes and assign them to equally random chinese dishes - if this is not the case tell me - I would love to know...

Yeah, this one is Thai Chinese and on the menu it features Penang Curry????

parently there is a Thai woman working there though so I look forward to saying something in Thai (which they won't expect.) :o

Yeah, this one is Thai Chinese and on the menu it features Penang Curry????

parently there is a Thai woman working there though so I look forward to saying something in Thai (which they won't expect.) :o

There's a chinese in Peterhead that sells Pattaya Chicken (?) and chicken lampang (?) They're both crap. Their Tom Yam was sweet and sour sauce.