England World Cup Discussion Thread

mommysboy

I met a fairy today who granted me one wish.

"I want to live forever," I said.

"Sorry," said the fairy, "but I'm not allowed to grant that type of wish."

"Fine," I said, "Then I want to die when England win the world cup."

"You crafty bastard!" said the fairy.

They have already won it once you clown.:D

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imola that's rubbish! Capello and many others have stated that technical prowess is not England's problems and I doubt you have any sincerity in the matter at all. And besides teams that can't play don't thrash teams like Croatia or qualify in style.

hansum- well maybe Low was just a bit shrewder in his choice of young talent. Much is made of Germany U21 winning the Euro Championship 4-0 against England, and for sure it was a stunning victory over England, but England got to the finals and had held Germany to a draw just a week earlier. We have the talent that's for sure.

mate i was reffering to the fact steve claims "particularly france" has better coaches , i disagree and i pointed this out, not 1 has won anything worthy of a mention< apart from jacquet 98

englands techical prowess didnt come into the equation in my reply, my reply was about france

why would you doubt my sincerity in the matter

IMHO There are 5 things that will always be remembered about the 2010 World Cup

A). the WORST is them &lt;deleted&gt; Horns all credit to the teams for playing through that bloody racket, the other 4 things are all equally bad and in no particular order

B).The pitches were crap after many slide tackles and sometimes even just a player turning quickly would leave a rucked up piece of turf like a carpet someone has slid on exposing a large sanded area,

C). The BALL:- FIFA's insistence on a new ball every &lt;deleted&gt; world cup.Many players complained about it and the lack of quality free kicks proved it that the ball was rubbish.Not saying we should go back to the leather one of 1966 but just that we should leave it well alone 8 panels instead of 32 and a total material and construction change plus giving the players only a month or two to get used to it.

D).The so called top teams inability to play and be managed cohesively and consistently, whilst the so called lesser teams trained, worked and played harder but most importantly played together as a team with hunger instead of the "oh Yeah!, we'll qualify easy enough so maybe we'll start playing next week when we get some real opposition!" attitude of a lot of teams ie France Portugal England etc etc.

E). The cheating injury syndrome "Oi! Ref he hit me red card him ref!" they have the technology to use and make a quick replay decision and the cheater would be sent off and banned but "Septic Twatter" (Sep Blatter) still refuses to implement it and the goal line tech . yet again another case of we the English invent/think of something (FootBall) but then meekly hand over it over to the gutless spineless Eurocrats to look after it who could not agree on sh!t.

"After Nigeria was eliminated from the world cup The Nigerian goalkeeper has personally offered to refund all the expenses of fans who travelled to South Africa.

He said he just needs their bank details and pin numbers to complete the transaction. " posted by peter991

Maybe the England team (if you can call them a "TEAM" after their pathetic attempt in RSA 2010) should take a leaf out of his book

I tried posting a page on FaceBook to this effect and had it pulled virtually straight away by the FB admin

the premiership or should it be premiersh!t players are so overpaid and over hyped that they were afraid to do anything at all in case the press jumped on them for failing, a case of they are damned if they do and they are damned if they don't and they certainly did not play and they most definitely did f##k all on the pitch

IMHO the English players should donate their next years wages to refund the loyal fans that went out to support them and that &lt;deleted&gt; eye tie idiot manager "Fabricato Capitulato" should give the £7M he will make no matter what happens to the same cause.But knowing Human Nature the fans will them over claim and falsify anything and everything to get as much as possible.

"After Nigeria was eliminated from the world cup The Nigerian goalkeeper has personally offered to refund all the expenses of fans who travelled to South Africa.

He said he just needs their bank details and pin numbers to complete the transaction. " posted by peter991

Maybe the England team (if you can call them a "TEAM" after their pathetic attempt in RSA 2010) should take a leaf out of his book

Jing, you do realise the nigerian goalkeeper line was a joke don't you ? He isn't really doing that. Why would he need their pin numbers :lol:

Imola that's rubbish! Capello and many others have stated that technical prowess is not England's problems and I doubt you have any sincerity in the matter at all. And besides teams that can't play don't thrash teams like Croatia or qualify in style.

hansum- well maybe Low was just a bit shrewder in his choice of young talent. Much is made of Germany U21 winning the Euro Championship 4-0 against England, and for sure it was a stunning victory over England, but England got to the finals and had held Germany to a draw just a week earlier. We have the talent that's for sure.

mate i was reffering to the fact steve claims "particularly france" has better coaches , i disagree and i pointed this out, not 1 has won anything worthy of a mention< apart from jacquet 98

englands techical prowess didnt come into the equation in my reply, my reply was about france

APOLGIES - MB

APOLGIES - MB

no worries,,its only a game,apparently

<br>And continue to play craX at international level I guess, and in a nutshell I suppose we care more for the league than the national team so shouldn't really complain when it goes pair shaped as it invariably does and will.
<br>Having 20 clubs hasnt done Spain in 2010, Italy in 2006, or France in 1998 any harm in winning the WC, but if Capello wants a break they should give him it but theyll still end up playing the same amount of games, its nicer to drive to games in the summer anyway ... but im sticking with the theory that these undoubtedly very good players just cant play as a team as many very good players in teams have failed in the past.
I hope Capello uses bravery and fair judgement to drop players who he considers too tired, and perhaps uses fresher but less talentedted alternatives, it's the only practicable solution.
Hope so its time for a huge overhaul starting with Lampard in the central midfield ..... there are a several very good youngsters out there at the moment.Everton have Rodwell, Arsenal have Wilkshire, Man City have A Johnson thats 3 that have already shown theyre up to the job, im sure we'll see a few more come through this season.

If that's the future for English international football,then we are in shit street. Yes, you've highlighted three of, probably,our best crop of youngsters so far but, Johnson apart,they are devoid of pace.They could improve technically but that lack of accelaration to get away from players will always be there.If there's one thing we've learnt from this World Cup,its that youv'e got to be comfortable with the ball on either foot and have pace.The youngsters of Ghana were a joy to watch in that regard and look how Kevin Prince Boateng improved with that class of footballer about him. Speaking of which,there were quite a few players with dual passports representing whoever they fancied would get them furthest.Maybe that avenue can be explored to increase the depth of talent in our team.

"If that's the future for English international football,then we are in shit street. Yes, you've highlighted three of, probably,our best crop of youngsters so far but, Johnson apart,they are devoid of pace.They could improve technically but that lack of accelaration to get away from players will always be there.If there's one thing we've learnt from this World Cup,its that youv'e got to be comfortable with the ball on either foot and have pace.The youngsters of Ghana were a joy to watch in that regard and look how Kevin Prince Boateng improved with that class of footballer about him. Speaking of which,there were quite a few players with dual passports representing whoever they fancied would get them furthest.Maybe that avenue can be explored to increase the depth of talent in our team"

Oh come on it's not that bad. And I'm not sure but didn't England win some U17 competition this year. And of course we got to the final of the U21 championship last year too.

We have got some very pacy players surely, eg, Walcott.

But I agree we should make more of our international connections as reward for promoting football as a truly world game. I would be quite happy to see team England with a few foreigners and feel it would be a move against nationalism/racism too.

"If that's the future for English international football,then we are in shit street. Yes, you've highlighted three of, probably,our best crop of youngsters so far but, Johnson apart,they are devoid of pace.They could improve technically but that lack of accelaration to get away from players will always be there.If there's one thing we've learnt from this World Cup,its that youv'e got to be comfortable with the ball on either foot and have pace.The youngsters of Ghana were a joy to watch in that regard and look how Kevin Prince Boateng improved with that class of footballer about him. Speaking of which,there were quite a few players with dual passports representing whoever they fancied would get them furthest.Maybe that avenue can be explored to increase the depth of talent in our team"

Oh come on it's not that bad. And I'm not sure but didn't England win some U17 competition this year. And of course we got to the final of the U21 championship last year too.

But I agree we should make more of our international connections as reward for promoting football as a truly world game. I would be quite happy to see team England with a few foreigners and feel it would be a move against nationalism/racism too.

Speaking of which,there were quite a few players with dual passports representing whoever they fancied would get them furthest.Maybe that avenue can be explored to increase the depth of talent in our team"
I would be quite happy to see team England with a few foreigners and feel it would be a move against nationalism/racism too.
Won't happen due to an agreement with the home nations.

There is a gentlemans agreement between the home nations not to pick a player who wasn't born in that country. Even although they hold a British passport. Just one article below regarding the rule.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7702704.stm

Speaking of which,there were quite a few players with dual passports representing whoever they fancied would get them furthest.Maybe that avenue can be explored to increase the depth of talent in our team"
I would be quite happy to see team England with a few foreigners and feel it would be a move against nationalism/racism too.
Won't happen due to an agreement with the home nations.

There is a gentlemans agreement between the home nations not to pick a player who wasn't born in that country. Even although they hold a British passport. Just one article below regarding the rule.

http://news.bbc.co.u...als/7702704.stm

Very interesting, but the last paragraph:

"Now, at some stage in the future, one or more of us may change our opinion on that - we may get together and change our decision and go for the full Fifa regulation - but, at the moment, we're all sticking to our agreement."

I could understand why Scotland for instance might be a trifle miffed if England were to woo a Scottish player, but if a Spanish player who had been playing in the EPL for 5 years were to express an interest in playing for England, what possible concern might that be to Scotland,Wales or NI ? (other than it might make us good which would incense the Scots no doubt).:lol:

miffed ???? incensed??? doubt it if england were to play a spaniard??? scotland would still be &lt;deleted&gt;, same as england would still be &lt;deleted&gt;.

trust me any spaniard that plays innthe epl for 5 years , wont """express interest""" in playing for england,

the said spaniard will more likely concentrate on playing for spain , the current euro and world champion, however your more than welcome to correct me if you reckon thats a load of boll###cks,

next youll be tellin us david silva was born in rochdale &lt;deleted&gt;

btw next world cup is in brazil, why not give that robinho fella a passport ???he was in manchester a coupla times

miffed ???? incensed??? doubt it if england were to play a spaniard??? scotland would still be &lt;deleted&gt;, same as england would still be &lt;deleted&gt;.

trust me any spaniard that plays innthe epl for 5 years , wont """express interest""" in playing for england,

the said spaniard will more likely concentrate on playing for spain , the current euro and world champion, however your more than welcome to correct me if you reckon thats a load of boll###cks,

btw next world cup is in brazil, why not give that robinho fella a passport ???he was in manchester a coupla times

:cheesy: :cheesy:

An Englishman playing for Scotland......where's my long range rifle?.......:shock1:

Thanks for the invite: what you write is in part a load of boll##cks, however, I can confirm Silva does not come from Rochdale.

The Arsenal goalie (can't remember his name) expressed an interest in playing for England I think. He isn't wanted by Spain. The rule is 5 years in host country and never to have represented any other country, so someone like Robhino would be out, I doubt England would want spoilt goods anyway as they already have enough already!

:)

At some point this will happen, more likely when an African star is discovered, the next Drogba whoever it may be. But in the main I reckon you have a point when you say anyone half decent who is in the EPL will already be representing their country.

All the home countries need to consider options as all are in a desperate state: Scotland, Wales, NI, can't ever qualify and England might not as well bother, there's hardly any room for complacency.

England would be most likely as it's already a very cosmopolitan league.

History tells us that the England under age internationals don't exactly prosper to become 'household names'. It could be a number of reasons i.e injuries,acquiring an oversized ego courtesy of the media,agents and club or basically deciding that getting pissed up on a Saturday night with their mates is much more fun than training.( I know plenty of talented players that have gone down that road)

I agree that Walcott should definitely have gone to South Africa, but you can't dwell on what might have beens and look to what we have got now.Danny Sturridge has an abundance of pace and skill to figure next season.Aston Villa have got a couple of pacy, skilful players in Agbonglahor,Ashley Young and Nathan Delfouneso who appeared a couple of times as substitute and looked promising, but I'm really struggling to come up with any others, especially good young defensive players. Perhaps some more will surface next season but the signs are not good.

POISONED CHALICE

Fergie turned down 'horrible' England job twice

By Soccernet staff

July 17, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Sir Alex Ferguson has claimed he was twice offered the chance to manage England but turned down the "terrible" job because it is a poisoned chalice - especially for a Scot.

PA Photos

Sir Alex Ferguson couldn't bear to think of being England boss

The Manchester United boss told a Canadian television station he was never interested in the job, but was approached on two occasions. He did not give details, but it is thought Ferguson was considered as a replacement for Terry Venables in 1996 and Glenn Hoddle three years later.

Ferguson said: "I was offered the chance to manage the England team on a couple of occasions but, of course, it was just out of the question. It's a poisoned chalice anyway. I think it's a terrible job, plus the fact that I would have had a tremendous handicap being Scottish; no matter which way you look it, that's important.''

Ferguson had plenty to say during this summer's World Cup as England limped out in the first knock-out round with several players, not least United's own Wayne Rooney, failing to perform. And the United boss reiterated his belief fatigue played a huge role in their failure.

"The English season is exhausting,'' he said. "Look at December, for instance, when we play eight or nine games even though it's the worst time of the year for the pitches, when they are heavier and the weather is at its worst.

"In the second half of the season, you then find lots of players are carrying little strains and pulls. But because of the importance of the games they keep on playing and, when they get to the end of the season and there's an important tournament such as the World Cup, they are not 100%. They can't be because they need that rest factor to bring the energy back into their system.''

Ferguson also believes Rooney, along with the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Kaka, suffered from the huge expectations placed on their shoulders.

"It was the expectation,'' he said. "All the main players for whom the expectations were high had bad tournaments, including Messi and Ronaldo. At the outset, the expectation was built up that this was going to be Wayne's tournament, but don't forget that he doesn't have great experience of World Cup football. For many players, they only get one World Cup, but Wayne will have other opportunities and he will be much better with experience.''

On Ronaldo, Ferguson added: "It's difficult to say why (he didn't perform). I spoke to the Portugal coach Carlos Queiroz after the tournament and he was as baffled as anyone.''

However, Ferguson was impressed with the way referee Howard Webb handled the final, dismissing the criticism that came from the Dutch.

"He was given an impossible task with the behaviour of the players,'' Ferguson said. "I think it got to the stage in the first half that showing a red card would have put him under pressure, criticism-wise. A World Cup final, having a player sent off, it's not the done thing and you don't want to see that. The public doesn't want to see that, the spectators who have gone to the game don't want to see that, and he was left in that position.

"There was no way out for him. If he had sent a player off, he would have faced criticism. If he didn't send a player off, he would get criticism. I think at half time he realised that, and in the second half, his momentum got less and less.''

History tells us that the England under age internationals don't exactly prosper to become 'household names'. It could be a number of reasons i.e injuries,acquiring an oversized ego courtesy of the media,agents and club or basically deciding that getting pissed up on a Saturday night with their mates is much more fun than training.( I know plenty of talented players that have gone down that road)

I agree that Walcott should definitely have gone to South Africa, but you can't dwell on what might have beens and look to what we have got now.Danny Sturridge has an abundance of pace and skill to figure next season.Aston Villa have got a couple of pacy, skilful players in Agbonglahor,Ashley Young and Nathan Delfouneso who appeared a couple of times as substitute and looked promising, but I'm really struggling to come up with any others, especially good young defensive players. Perhaps some more will surface next season but the signs are not good.

Do you mean we don't have a Gascoigne ?, if so I agree, England lack that one really sublime player.

Yet plenty of Dutch and German players managed just fine with the same amount of games under their belt whistling.gif

Look at the base argument, more games, more competitions, no breaks, and the EPL foreigners lumbered too in the main!

Use yer noddle!

Do you mean we don't have a Gascoigne ?, if so I agree, England lack that one really sublime player.

Gascoigne always looked to me as though he was playing football downhill! What was astonishing to me was his ball contol and,although he was a headcase,he never shirked a challenge.Could you imagine him moaning that he was too tired to play in the World Cup like some of our tattooed luvvlies today?No,mate, we haven't got anyone like him....yet.

Jock - Any chance of editing the title thread to " England National Football Team Discussion" or such like.

It should now be obvious that player tiredness is a big part of this failure, although poor quality, and downright bad attitude plays its part too. Overwhelmingly, the league set up is to blame, the driver being greed.

Nothing will change. Teams of a lesser standing such as Holland will out perform, because they have 18 teams, 1 cup comp., and a winter break, but the ill informed will swear blind it's not so, so that they can watch a bunch of crocks outdo another bunch of crocks so that everyone can be satiated with their weekly fix of 'fantasy football'.