Owning Land In Thailand

I have been to my local Court here in England and have changed my name to Somchai Wangoonbat - so now when I get to Thailand next month I will be able to purchase a house in my name and I will own it outright. I will not appear at the officials offices in Thailand but will just use an Agent who will refer to me only as Khun Wangoonbat - very easy to do.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like it or not, the Thai people are entitled to restrict the ownership of Thai land as they wish. We farang are guests and we should respect Thai laws, again, like them or not.

Yes they are, and the're entitled to charge dual prices for Falangs and we should respect that as wellbiggrin.gif

Like it or not, the Thai people are entitled to restrict the ownership of Thai land as they wish. We farang are guests and we should respect Thai laws, again, like them or not.

djees, i really got fedup with those 'guest' bull...

the guest here is spending or contributing to the thai economy like 5 or 10 or 20 Thai families....

Thais have same right to buy land / house in my home country

the thing is... farang have only the right to spend his money.

in any western country, this would be considered as rascism...

djees, i really got fedup with those 'guest' bull...

the guest here is spending or contributing to the thai economy like 5 or 10 or 20 Thai families....

Thais have same right to buy land / house in my home country

the thing is... farang have only the right to spend his money.

in any western country, this would be considered as rascism...

You may not have noticed but its not any western country :)

Fascinating. And what Thai ID number will they be putting on the title deed?

I have this covered as I knew a guy in CM who was called Somchai Wangoonbat but he passed away in an accident so I can use his ID number - I already have a bank account there - really easy and not even bribed anyone - yet

Fascinating. And what Thai ID number will they be putting on the title deed?

I have this covered as I knew a guy in CM who was called Somchai Wangoonbat but he passed away in an accident so I can use his ID number - I already have a bank account there - really easy and not even bribed anyone - yet

And after you acquired the title, I will earn a commission from the relations of the deceased to make an inheritance claim over that title in court... :)

Somchai u wasted your time and money Farang can already own a house in Thailand in their own name................ sadly not the land........................................doh!!

a farang can own land in thailand,there are limits to the amount but it can be done i leagally own 2.5 acres,and thats the plot where the house sits it was left to me in my wifes mothers will,the wife owns the rest.

you can leagally own a certain amount of land that is bequethed to you by a thai national in a will.

Somchai u wasted your time and money Farang can already own a house in Thailand in their own name................ sadly not the land........................................doh!!

a farang can own land in thailand,there are limits to the amount but it can be done i leagally own 2.5 acres,and thats the plot where the house sits it was left to me in my wifes mothers will,the wife owns the rest.

you can leagally own a certain amount of land that is bequethed to you by a thai national in a will.

News to me. AFAIK if land is left to a falang he has to sell it within a year.

i havent been told any of that only owned it for 4 months now and im leagally married to a thai national so dont know if that makes a difference,all i had to do was insert into my will its left to my wife or our daughter if anything happens to me,i was not told anything about having to sell it by the laywers when it was done.

i havent been told any of that only owned it for 4 months now and im leagally married to a thai national so dont know if that makes a difference,all i had to do was insert into my will its left to my wife or our daughter if anything happens to me,i was not told anything about having to sell it by the laywers when it was done.

Time to change lawyers... :)

Sell it to your wife, or daughter (if she is of legal age) for a small sum to keep it within the family.

Edited by trogers

I believe that law was changed a few years back, so that now any land willed to a foreigner must be sold to a Thai national within 1 year of the death.

If you inherited before tha law change you are OK

If you inherited after the law change you must sell.

I believe that law was changed a few years back, so that now any land willed to a foreigner must be sold to a Thai national within 1 year of the death.

If you inherited before tha law change you are OK

If you inherited after the law change you must sell.

checked this out and your100 % correct,the reason i wasnt told is he thought we knew,hes checking into it a bit further as he thinks i can give it to my wife or daughter but still leagally keep 1 rai in my name,anything over 1 rai has to be sold on or given to a thai national within 12 months,it dont really matter thuo we will keep it in the family,i just sign it over to the wife or daughter.

another thing is if i do get to keep the 1 rai i can only leave that to a thai national in my will not another farang.

checked this out and your100 % correct,the reason i wasnt told is he thought we knew,hes checking into it a bit further as he thinks i can give it to my wife or daughter but still leagally keep 1 rai in my name,anything over 1 rai has to be sold on or given to a thai national within 12 months,it dont really matter thuo we will keep it in the family,i just sign it over to the wife or daughter.

another thing is if i do get to keep the 1 rai i can only leave that to a thai national in my will not another farang.

I don't know that what you say is correct or not but previous threads on this forum regarding property received by a farang from a will stated that a farang can only receive up to 1 rai of land and that the 1 rai must be put in a Thai national's name within 1 year. What you seem to be claiming is that you are going to be able to keep 1 rai of land in your name so long as you are alive.

Although I don't think you have this right I am actually hoping that you are right.

The ways to own land are so limited you may as well forget it, BOI approval and deposit something like 40 million means you can own 1 rai for a house or become a Thai national. I am sure the above information about keeping 1 rai is wrong.