2010 Toyota Fortuner Sr5 (Middle East Spec)

Garry

I just received my new company car in the Middle East. As much as I like my Isuzu MU7 Activo, I wish I could have this car in Thailand as well. Toyota Fortuner SR5 4.0 LTR (3956cc/241.4ci)) V6, 5 Speed Auto. The usual specs: rear diff lock, cruise control, bigger fuel tank etc. Absolute gobs of torque and power. Put the foot down and the bloody things leaps like a scolded cat. This car has actually been limited to 190kph. One of my co-workers took it for a spin and said it just stopped accelerating as soon as it hit 190kph and it wasn't hanging about up until then. Not that I want to go any faster and for that matter when cruising long distances in the Middle East, most sit on 160kph. Cops don't bother you much if at all out in open country, but obviously in the villages and towns, you're asking for trouble. Probably a good thing I don't have it in Thailand, even though its not available being Middle East spec. I am definitely impressed. :)

Edited by Garry

Hi Gary,

i know what you mean, i'm also working in the Middle East &I drive a Kia Sorento 3.8 litre here.

I have just had my Fortuner chipped (DTE Germany) to about 190 BHP, the brakes & suspension uprated as i miss the power,

Guess its the penalty for livivg in LOS, unless of course you can afford the extortionate prices of an impor t!

Cheers

Chris

Hi Gary,

i know what you mean, i'm also working in the Middle East &I drive a Kia Sorento 3.8 litre here.

I have just had my Fortuner chipped (DTE Germany) to about 190 BHP, the brakes & suspension uprated as i miss the power,

Guess its the penalty for livivg in LOS, unless of course you can afford the extortionate prices of an impor t!

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I just checked under the hood and guess what... :) ...well apart from the smiley hint, best I let the photos speak for themselves. For those who don't know, this is the same engine (V6) Toyota use in their Lexus lineup. Variable valve timing as well; no wonder it goes like a scolded cat plus be docile down low and probably why is's not released in... :D

post-6366-033585600 1276310165_thumb.jpg

post-6366-000606000 1276310184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garry

Hi Gary,

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I just checked under the hood and guess what... :) ...well apart from the smiley hint, best I let the photos speak for themselves. For those who don't know, this is the same engine (V6) Toyota use in their Lexus lineup. Variable valve timing as well; no wonder it goes like a scolded cat plus be docile down low and probably why is's not released in... :D

Sorry to bring you down to earth but Lexus don't produce a model with a 4 litre engine. Used to, so you may a dusted off Lexus throwaway. The Thailand plate puzzles me because the Middle East fortuner is asembled in Indonesia. In your earlier post did you mean scAlded cat?

Hi Gary,

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I just checked under the hood and guess what... :D ...well apart from the smiley hint, best I let the photos speak for themselves. For those who don't know, this is the same engine (V6) Toyota use in their Lexus lineup. Variable valve timing as well; no wonder it goes like a scolded cat plus be docile down low and probably why is's not released in... :D

Sorry to bring you down to earth but Lexus don't produce a model with a 4 litre engine. Used to, so you may a dusted off Lexus throwaway. The Thailand plate puzzles me because the Middle East fortuner is asembled in Indonesia. In your earlier post did you mean scAlded cat?

Oh give me a break. If Lexus don't do it, they don't it. As far as I knew they did. Google helped me on that one as I was checking the engine spec. No skin off my nose. This car is in the Middle East right now, when I took the photo. Be as puzzlied as you like, the plate is real. Do your search on the ID plate, perhaps I'm seeing things and my camera and it ain't no magic carpet. Perhaps you would like a photo with the arab license plate with engine bay and the ID plate, strewth.... :) And stop being petty about the spelling, so what...

MRO or Kata, can you spread any light on this topic, it is interesting. :)

LOS tax barrier for petrol pickups and PPVs is 3000cc/220hp and for diesel 3200cc/220hp. so this engine, despite being much cheaper than 3,0 d4d to manufactor, would cost with a fortuner approx 2,8 mill baht here. made in LOS.

I belivee Indonesia only makes (or made until weeks ago if thai fortuner plant is shut down) 2,7 petrol and 3,0 d4d.

and I believe a chipsed 3,0 d4d is as fast or faster due to high tourque in long powerband and lower final ratio, but of course not as smooth and quiet. 2,7 petrol also comes with a higher final ratio which makes it run cheap at constant 80-100 kmh, but in reality makes it very thirsty and lazy

Time for beer:blink:.

The engine being discussed (the 1GR-FE) is also available in the Australian market Hilux (VIGO), which is also made in Thailand (the Fortuner is not sold in the Australian market).

The 1GR-FE makes 235HP/376Nm naturally aspirated, and 302HP/452Nm in supercharged form (as sold by TRD Australia in the MY2008-09 VIGO). Power-wise the naturally aspirated version is actually pretty line-ball with a Euro spec (or Thai chipped) 3.0L diesel, but being naturally aspirated will have more 'poke' out of the hole (due to no turbo lag), and being petrol will have a higher rev range. I'd be very surprised if it could out-accelerate a chipped diesel once on the move though (say 80-120km/hr) - I don't have any data for this I'm afraid. It'll definitely drink a small fortune in benzene though, but that's no bother in the Middle East :)

As for applications, It has been used in a number of Toyota pickup and SUV models, but I have no knowledge of it ever being used in a passenger vehicle - that's the domain of the 2GR, 3GR and 4GR series (all from the same family though).

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

"It has stylish design and luxurious feel of Lexus and is not just a pickup with canopy but power of a Vigo and luxury of Lexus married stylishly......"

The Fortuner, as lovingly described by a Thai Toyota dealer....a pick up with a canopy. That bit I'll agree with. An apt description of an ugly beast which for acceleration just about outpaces the ubiquitous Prius Hybrid.

Gary, I am no longer puzzled. Truthfully, I had not intended to suggest you were not in the Middle East. A 4.0 version of the Fortuner is not avaiable here in Thailand so I assumed it was assembled in Indonesia. Before posting I also googled and my assumption was confirmed!!!! (www.DriveArabia.com) - hence my puzzlement.

I now understand a 2WD 4.0 version is (was?) assembled here for export only.

The image of a scolded cat amused me. I was not intending to score points by drawing attention to the mis-spelling.

"It has stylish design and luxurious feel of Lexus and is not just a pickup with canopy but power of a Vigo and luxury of Lexus married stylishly......"

The Fortuner, as lovingly described by a Thai Toyota dealer....a pick up with a canopy. That bit I'll agree with. An apt description of an ugly beast which for acceleration just about outpaces the ubiquitous Prius Hybrid.

Gary, I am no longer puzzled. Truthfully, I had not intended to suggest you were not in the Middle East. A 4.0 version of the Fortuner is not avaiable here in Thailand so I assumed it was assembled in Indonesia. Before posting I also googled and my assumption was confirmed!!!! (www.DriveArabia.com) - hence my puzzlement.

I now understand a 2WD 4.0 version is (was?) assembled here for export only.

The image of a scolded cat amused me. I was not intending to score points by drawing attention to the mis-spelling.

I realised I may have misread the info I checked on my wiki link, so went to it again. When checking the 1GR-FE engine for the Fortuner (4.0 V6) realised that it was the 2GR-FE (3.5) that I was lookig at for the Lexus 2009 Lexus RX 350 (GGL10/15/16) . I do stand (or rather sit) corrected. The drive arabia link are obviously not up to date with their info. Middle East sites arn't reknowned for their accuracy at times. Olive branch waving merrily :)

Edited by Garry

Hi Gary,

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I just checked under the hood and guess what... :D ...well apart from the smiley hint, best I let the photos speak for themselves. For those who don't know, this is the same engine (V6) Toyota use in their Lexus lineup. Variable valve timing as well; no wonder it goes like a scolded cat plus be docile down low and probably why is's not released in... :D

Oh give me a break. If Lexus don't do it, they don't it. As far as I knew they did. Google helped me on that one as I was checking the engine spec. No skin off my nose. This car is in the Middle East right now, when I took the photo. Be as puzzlied as you like, the plate is real. Do your search on the ID plate, perhaps I'm seeing things and my camera and it ain't no magic carpet. Perhaps you would like a photo with the arab license plate with engine bay and the ID plate, strewth.... :) And stop being petty about the spelling, so what...

I agree with you on being petty about the spelling. If all the spelling/grammar errors were commented upon then Thaivisa would be over-burdened.

Hi Gary,

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I was looking at my info and I know where I got the engine comparison mistake. the 1GR-FR 4.0 ltr V6 is used in the 2010 Fortuner Thai export model and the 2GR-FE 3.5 ltr V6 was used in the 2009 Lexus RX350. I guess the Lexus lucked out and so did the domestic Thailand market.

This 2010 Fortuner has got some stick for a mid-size SUV; keep it below 120kph and not let the VVT-i cut in and it's fairly reasonable on fuel.