Kah-teen? Ka-tiin? / Bon Kuhn? Baan Kuun?

FATBOYTHAI

Looking for a clarification. What is a Kah-teen? What is Bon Kuhn? Please excuse the spelling, I have only a verbal translation. Please excuse my ignorance. She is a good friend and tells me she must perform Bon Kuhn and (like a party?) provide a Kah-teen?

It all relates to her farang husband building a house in the village (for the entire family) and the recognition thereof. Any help re knowledge is appreciated.

Is this something to do with a "Spirit House"? You have the house blessed and then have a party and buy pigs heads, boiled ducks, boiled chickens, curries, fruit, and other things. You offer the food to the spirits and then you tambon your friends/ colleagues by turning up at the door with a pigs head in your hands!

If it is a Spirit House, one of the other members should be able to help you with more details.

Mr BoJ

Not sure since your transcription is not very exact, but it sounds likely she refers to repayment of a debt of gratitude - this is called

'boon khun' บุญ คุณ

The other concept is

'kathin' กฐิน which is a.) annual festival following the rainy season, during which new robes are presented to the monks b.) the robes so presented

I reckon this is what she's on about. Somebody else will have more details or experience of this.